Threadripper - too big for current coolers? UPDATE 2

WereCat

UPDATE 2 - Air cooling

Noctua NH U14S TR cold plate optimised vs normal one

aaassasa.PNG.e6cd03f327aec405c02e572f03cf4e79.PNG

11*C difference, so quite a massive improvement just by increasing the surface area of the cold plate while keeping the cooler exactly the same. This is also just on air cooling so I would expect bigger difference on a water.

UPDATE

Updated with actual testing with how the thermal paste spreads with different applications (using the Asetek cooler) and temperature results.

Source:
Gamers Nexus

The Threadripper is a huge CPU, no doubt about that. But how big issue it really is for most (if not all) current coolers?

Gamers Nexus made a video about this just a while ago and it seems like a big issue (at least for overclockers). No temperature results yet (NDA) as the cooler doesn't cover the entire CPU dies which will most likely result in a very inefficient cooling.

For anyone pre-ordering or buying Threadripper, I would highly advise against purchasing any current high-end cooler as it may be a waste of money and you would be better off with waiting a little bit longer and buying an actual cooler meant for these CPUs.

lalala2.PNG.dcff8d3b66bd238109c3440a5c15476d.PNGlalala1.PNG.a90c0c9fbccef4c308bb8b7b69fd7c53.PNGlalala3.PNG.01c08066abb680cbef9dab0aae026719.PNG

I know that this article is mostly a common sense, but it is nice to see the perspective of how much ineffective the current coolers may be on Threadripper.

Yes, using current coolers is most likely fine but the question is if and how much more inefficient it is compared to the coolers intended for TR as this may affect the overclocking quite a bit considering the TDP.

Anyone that gets a TR should be smart enough to take any and all claims of a cooler being "compatible" with a heathy amount of "U B full O'shit" for awhile.  For the time being getting a cooler exclusively made for TR/Epyc is your best bet.  There is a difference between "will work" and "will work worth a damn", see intel stock coolers and amd wraith coolers for an imperfect analogy.

Who would risk their enthusiast 1k processor in an attempt at reusing their old $100 aio?  Don't really see the point.

What cooler was the Alienware Area 51 using when Linus unveiled it at LTX?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I have no idea.

Was anyone expecting something different...? just because it fits the mount points doesn't mean it fits the heatspreader...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

23 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have no idea.

It also appears to be Asetek based and only with 120mm radiator.

One of the reviewers tested Threadripper on the same Alienware machine and it seems to run fine especially for a small radiator.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

25 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have no idea.

pretty much the same, he had an Asetek cooler

AMD also includes Asetek mounting bracket for TR4, so they pretty much deem that all current AiO's on the market are good enough

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

9 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Put a 10 mm thick copper plate in between and it will be fine (I use a 7 mm plate for my 250 watt GPU and it works great).

why though?

The heat spreader is there to protect the fragile core from chipping. It also acts like it's name implies, a heat spreader. Have you ever seen an aluminum cooler with a copper plate on the bottom? Guess what the heat spreader is made of-again. Copper. It's plated with a soft silvery metal which I believe to be tin, based on it's softness and shine.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

38 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Anyone that gets a TR should be smart enough to take any and all claims of a cooler being "compatible" with a heathy amount of "U B full O'shit" for awhile.  For the time being getting a cooler exclusively made for TR/Epyc is your best bet.  There is a difference between "will work" and "will work worth a damn", see intel stock coolers and amd wraith coolers for an imperfect analogy.

Who would risk their enthusiast 1k processor in an attempt at reusing their old $100 aio?  Don't really see the point.

Yeah man. All this nonsense I hear of Cooler manufacturers releasing adapters for threadripper is just dumb. I hope we dont see "full cover" TR advertising for coolers now. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

I'm going to use a rice grain sized amount of thermal compound because Linus said so in a video that one time.

Instructions unclear PC melted though the floor.

334295.jpg

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/blade-servers/B200M3.html#step

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

you're better off to just spread a thin layer evenly on the IHS, so you know every threadripper die is covered. It's like the factory pre-applied TIM that comes with the coolers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

22 minutes ago, DXMember said:

pretty much the same, he had an Asetek cooler

AMD also includes Asetek mounting bracket for TR4, so they pretty much deem that all current AiO's on the market are good enough

I am sure it is good enough. Stock coolers are also good enough.

44 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

NHD16 when?

Um not quite.

Honestly you're looking at 800 to 1000 for the CPU and probably 400 to 500 for a motherboard. You should at the very least invest in an EK combo I think they'll support Threadripper at or very near launch.

This is probably just a stop-gap solution that's probably not gonna be viable long term for people to boot the rigs before their custom blocks arrive.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I am sure it is good enough. Stock coolers are also good enough.

I wonder whether Anandtech is using a different cooler, if they added more thermal compound (probably their own cooler with more thermal paste) or both as the paste coverage on their CPU after some testing appears to be more dispersed...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11689/amd-threadripper-unboxing

Wait until early next year if you want Threadripper then?

Sounds like the safest route to go.

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Wait until early next year if you want Threadripper then?

Sounds like the safest route to go.

Nah

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I wonder whether Anandtech is using a different cooler, if they added more thermal compound (probably their own cooler with more thermal paste) or both as the paste coverage on their CPU after some testing appears to be more dispersed...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11689/amd-threadripper-unboxing

I am sure that they have used more paste, not sure which cooler though (Asetek based as well most likely).

Since people do delid Intel CPUs because of the Z height of IHS and it affecting temperatures a lot, I am sure that cooler base plate not having proper contact with the entire die area will affect temperature quite a bit as well.

27 minutes ago, WereCat said:

-snip-

I sure wouldnt buy a 169€ AIO to only have to replace it later tough lol.

Groomlake Authority

An adapter that allows you to mount two AIOs to the socket is clearly what's required :D

And another observation, Threadripper, not coming to mITX is it?