Threadripper - too big for current coolers? UPDATE 2

WereCat

Well there will be 20 AIOs and 5 air coolers on launch with large cooling plate. 

I wonder about temps with current that don't cover entire IHS though it can be fine if two diagonal dies can be covered. I guess it can be ok but not efficient. Gotta see results and A and B compare.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Orblivion said:

List of compatible coolers for Threadripper:

https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

Well, many current coolers will be compatible with the bracket. That is the point. You can mount it but it won't cover the entire CPU die spot on IHS as it is so large so it won't be as efficient.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

An adapter that allows you to mount two AIOs to the socket is clearly what's required :D

And another observation, Threadripper, not coming to mITX is it?

I mean... why would you want mini ITX Threadripper? :D

What about those 60+4 PCI-e lanes? Or do you just plan on having a dozen of M.2 slots on the back of the motherboard?

Noctua has one made specifically for threadripper. It's still a prototype...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Noctua has one made specifically for threadripper. It's still a prototype...

Unfortunately, that one is not coming out at launch and probably won't come out even the month after.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Unfortunately, that one is not coming out at launch and probably won't come out even the month after.

It needs to be perfect, before it gets released. Most server coolers have a larger surface area, to cover threadripper.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

There's only two working dies always installed diagonally under the IHS.

Technically yeah, placing the cooler directly in the middle wouldn't be great because there no hotspot there, there would be two hotspots a bit offset from the center.

BUT considering the amount of indium solder between the dies and the heatsink and how well the heat should transfer to the IHS, it should be fine, since the bottom of whatever cpu cooler you'll use will still cover maybe at least 90% of the surface of the dies.

Probably the ideal transfer would be with a lot of tiny heatpipes layed flat under the cpu cooler surface, basically across the width of the cpu and therefore over the two dies installed diagonally.  Water coolers would not benefit as much because by design they kinda have to be round.. making them rectangular won't improve performance by much. Maybe if they make two groups of microchannels inside the water blocks, instead of one in the center.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, many current coolers will be compatible with the bracket. That is the point. You can mount it but it won't cover the entire CPU die spot on IHS as it is so large so it won't be as efficient.

Does anyone know/remember what the surface area for the new i9's are?  I could see manufacturers of coolers designing new ones to match that area however, I think there will be very few custom coolers that will cover the entire IHS of Threadripper or Epyc processors as most manufacturers are probably still wanting to achieve multi-socket support on a single product line.  Would be interesting to know if the entire i9 IHS area in  comparison to just the portion of the IHS that the TR dies take up.

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Does anyone know/remember what the surface area for the new i9's are?  I could see manufacturers of coolers designing new ones to match that area however, I think there will be very few custom coolers that will cover the entire IHS of Threadripper or Epyc processors as most manufacturers are probably still wanting to achieve multi-socket support on a single product line.  Would be interesting to know if the entire i9 IHS area in  comparison to just the portion of the IHS that the TR dies take up.

Even if the i9 would be as big as the TR the cooling with current coolers shouldn't be an issue since there is only one die at the center compared to two big dies diagonal from each other and nothing in the center on the TR.

There will be definitely only a few CPU coolers made just for TR and EPYC and some custom made by the likes of EKWB.

I just got done watching the video....... and he said none of the sort, in fact the opposite.. it should be fine. Cooling may not 100% optimal but should work.

How to properly cool a threadripper or other HEDT cpus?

1. Find CPU cooler with large cpu block that will cover the entire cpu

2. Apply thin layer of TIM on to the cpu IHS

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

I just got done watching the video....... and he said none of the sort, in fact the opposite.. it should be fine. Cooling may not 100% optimal but should work.

I am not saying that it won't work, I am saying that for overclockers it makes no sense to invest in any high-end current cooler as you won't get the most out of it. Especially now when a lot of people started to go crazy with deliding and trying to get most out of their CPUs (me included).

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Even if the i9 would be as big as the TR the cooling with current coolers shouldn't be an issue since there is only one die at the center compared to two big dies diagonal from each other and nothing in the center on the TR.

There will be definitely only a few CPU coolers made just for TR and EPYC and some custom made by the likes of EKWB.

Agree completely, but I think we may see cooler manufacturers increase the size of the contact area to match the size of the i9's IHS in order to have a product that they could sell for both Intel and AMD systems.  I'm just curious on if the manufacturers increase the footprint of the cooler to match the i9's IHS sizing, how much additional die area would that cover on TR and Epyc systems over the existing setups.

Again, the video never says "you won't get the most out of it." There is N O testing of any kind allowed to be released, let's wait as it's possible the current coverage may be fine. 

Don't think it would matter much because of solder. The hotspots created may not be as significant and would be able to spread it somewhat evenly on the IHS. Also, I am pretty sure that AMD expected this and has done something that we would get to know later

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Yeah man. All this nonsense I hear of Cooler manufacturers releasing adapters for threadripper is just dumb. I hope we dont see "full cover" TR advertising for coolers now. 

I don't know if "full cover" will be a thing or not, but I am not looking forward to the slew of cobbled together water cooler solutions that may litter my youtube feed in the coming days.  Betting none of them will attest to the longer term effects, or quantify between them and a specifically engineered solution.  I've just no interest in coolers that don't directly and completely cover the area(s) populated by the chips beneath the IHS.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Um not quite.

Honestly you're looking at 800 to 1000 for the CPU and probably 400 to 500 for a motherboard. You should at the very least invest in an EK combo I think they'll support Threadripper at or very near launch.

This is probably just a stop-gap solution that's probably not gonna be viable long term for people to boot the rigs before their custom blocks arrive.

Air cooling>water cooling every time, fuck pump whine.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

Not for 180 watt tdp products no. I'm not saying that it cannot be done but the size of the air cooler needed here just kinda ruins the looks which at this level, it is kind of important. Pump noise can be mitigated far more easily than mitigating a humongous block of aluminum taking over most of the motherboard.

And looks don't matter and we're talking workstation where then noise shouldn't matter either.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not for 180 watt tdp products no. I'm not saying that it cannot be done but the size of the air cooler needed here just kinda ruins the looks which at this level, it is kind of important. Pump noise can be mitigated far more easily than mitigating a humongous block of aluminum taking over most of the motherboard.

And looks don't matter and we're talking workstation where then noise shouldn't matter either.

Meh, since we now have CPU's as big as an SSD why not an air-cooler as big as an ATX case, complete with 180mm fans.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I can think of 1 person who could be really happy about the prospect of even larger aircoolers. 

https://www.pcper.com/users/Morry-Teitelman

Don't think the world can make one big enough that he wouldn't love and mount on every single mATX board they'd come across.

Great... I have to buy two new coolers when I switch to the 3rd Generation of Eypc when it is released.

20 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I'm just going to assume you mean AIO by "watercooling".  A D5 pump turned down to 1-2 speed is pretty much silent unless your ear is right next to it.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)