Threadripper - too big for current coolers? UPDATE 2

WereCat

Linus video on the Alienware model is out. Seems like the 1950x using a thick Acetek 120mm cooler is quite insufficient for even stock speeds so there possibly is quite a bit to this issue: I'd guess you'll need a 280 or 360 AIO to even think overclocks.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Linus video on the Alienware model is out. Seems like the 1950x using a thick Acetek 120mm cooler is quite insufficient for even stock speeds so there possibly is quite a bit to this issue: I'd guess you'll need a 280 or 360 AIO to even think overclocks.

Are we certain that it's the rad size? I would expect the smaller baseplate of the AIO to be the issue. GamersNexus did a video showing how little coverage the dies actually get with current AIO's, and it's only covering roughly half of each die in the center. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Are we certain that it's the rad size? I would expect the smaller baseplate of the AIO to be the issue. GamersNexus did a video showing how little coverage the dies actually get with current AIO's, and it's only covering roughly half of each die in the center. 

seems like a thick rad, similar to the one on the R9 295x2... which is stock ASETEK... and has a thermal capacity of 550w when using a Delta fan.

It just looks like bad design of the case to me, not to mention the cable management and psu cables..

Makes me think it's a BETA version of the final product... i mean, are they really gonna have that ugly 24pin connector cable with that rainbow of colors and bad sleeve job (at 6:09_ in a $4000 product?

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

It just looks like bad design of the case to me, not to mention the cable management and psu cables..

Makes me think it's a BETA version of the final product... i mean, are they really gonna have that ugly 24pin connector cable with that rainbow of colors and bad sleeve job (at 6:09_ in a $4000 product?

I've had the displeasure of working on previous "premium" alienware products, including the god forsaken Alienware Aurora. I can tell you first hand that yes, yes they will put something that ugly in a premium product, lol. Not only that, but a lot of the hardware used to be extremely proprietary. Older alienware systems included a daughterboard that had all of your fan/pump headers, and without it, you physically could not keep the system cooled. That same board also controlled front I/O as well, and when it died or went bad, you lost all of your fans/pumps, and had to use a screwdriver to turn the thing on.

Hopefully they've done away with this practice (have not worked on one since 2012) and went with more accessible hardware choices. Almost as bad as their ancient optiplex's.

On 03/08/2017 at 10:32 AM, Monkey Dust said:

An adapter that allows you to mount two AIOs to the socket is clearly what's required :D

And another observation, Threadripper, not coming to mITX is it?

@TheRandomness and I sure hope so, it'd be funny as hell

I could see threadripper in ITX maybe if they use 45 degree angled SO-DDR4 slots and place m.2 slots on back side.

Then maybe you'd barely fit a pci-e x8 or x16 at the bottom.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Hard to tell yet based on just one video which was not even a real review. Soon we will know.

I wonder if TR also has the temperature offset and if yes if it was accidentally included in the results which Linus showed.

I hope not.

Hopefully they've done away with this practice (have not worked on one since 2012) and went with more accessible hardware choices. Almost as bad as their ancient optiplex's.

For the most part, they have in their larger systems. Some stuff is still proprietary because of the overall case designs or because there is a decent reason of using it over a common standard.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

I can tell you first hand that yes, yes they will put something that ugly in a premium product, lol.

Quite frankly, for a system that doesn't have an option for a side window, it's not a big deal that they use PSUs with colored wires, or that it's cable managed with an attention to detail rivaling Mage's for memory OC.

So long as it works, with or without nuking the storage of all the bloatware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

28 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For the most part, they have in their larger systems. Some stuff is still proprietary because of the overall case designs or because there is a decent reason of using it over a common standard.

Quite frankly, for a system that doesn't have an option for a side window, it's not a big deal that they use PSUs with colored wires, or that it's cable managed with an attention to detail rivaling Mage's for memory OC.

So long as it works, with or without nuking the storage of all the bloatware.

You should see my cable management, lol. I cable managed perfectly in the node 202, a feat that is nigh impossible without serious levels of frustration, and slight bending of certain components. Think I have a picture somewhere.

EDIT: found it!

lsnhece.jpg

Seriously wish I didn't use the long version of the SFX PSU, but 600w felt like a good idea at the time. If you look at the plate on the right, it's slightly bent, as I have cables running under it to get to the GPU. Keep in mind: I have no 2.5 inch sata drive in this machine, it's strictly a single M.2, lol. 

Now, my current build kinda looks sad in comparison x.x

O1aZgyC.jpg

MageTank needs a bigger motherboard x.x

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

You should see my cable management, lol. I cable managed perfectly in the node 202, a feat that is nigh impossible without serious levels of frustration, and slight bending of certain components. Think I have a picture somewhere.

tumblr_m6zyf0ttya1r8yo2fo1_500.png.d0eefcc670cb3919571bd1ead9a1c223.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

tumblr_m6zyf0ttya1r8yo2fo1_500.png.d0eefcc670cb3919571bd1ead9a1c223.png

Check the edit, you'll have yet another reason be in the angry dome, lol. 

22 minutes ago, MageTank said:

EDIT: found it!

Hide contents

lsnhece.jpg

Seriously wish I didn't use the long version of the SFX PSU, but 600w felt like a good idea at the time. If you look at the plate on the right, it's slightly bent, as I have cables running under it to get to the GPU. Keep in mind: I have no 2.5 inch sata drive in this machine, it's strictly a single M.2, lol. 

Now, my current build kinda looks sad in comparison x.x

Hide contents

O1aZgyC.jpg

Your current build looks as big as the Threadripper lol 

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Your current build looks as big as the Threadripper lol 

I wouldn't mind actually having a threadripper build in this box, but I don't do anything that warrants the use of additional cores. If I had it, would use it to serve hypervisors to the family so that they can stream locally to their weaker laptops/PC's and still have the gaming horsepower to play. 32 threads would allow for 6 clients to have 4 cores each, and leave plenty for the host machine. At that point, I'd populate every PCIe slot with a single slot, waterblocked card and have @done12many2 teach me how to custom loop, lol. Get 6 GTX 1070's on a 420mm loop (front of case) and put threadripper on it's own 280mm rad (top of case). Would leave me a single fan in the back for exhaust. 

Anyone know if it's possible to do a custom loop like that? Using two different radiators entirely? 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

What's better is that it's possible. 

IMG_8551.JPG.dd3a71cdf62458905dcdb9fef873789a.JPG

That is the cutest little thing I have ever seen, while simultaneously being the dumbest looking thing I have ever seen. Kinda like Pugs (no offense to pug owners, they just have a natural dumb looking expression at all times). 

How does one expect to keep those CPU's cool? It has to be fake, right?

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

It's cute, but I feel like most ladies would laugh.

Until they see your m.2, which will look gigantic in comparison, if you catch my drift.

Unless, well, all I can say at that point is sorry

21 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Keep in mind: I have no 2.5 inch sata drive in this machine, it's strictly a single M.2, lol

I can't do a single M.2, either they be too small or too expensive.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Your current build looks as big as the Threadripper

I'm not seeing it. There is no way Threadripper is that small.

16 minutes ago, WereCat said:

lol 

21 minutes ago, MageTank said:

lol. 

tumblr_mzv6feC1a31sz6ufao2_500.gif.e3774e73ef0def19e48dc58e4537eed1.gif

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Anyone know if it's possible to do a custom loop like that? Using two different radiators entirely? 

Drake can teach you. Drake might not have made a loop yet, but Drake is surprisingly good plumber and engineer for stuff like this.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It's cute, but I feel like most ladies would laugh.

Until they see your m.2, which will look gigantic in comparison, if you catch my drift.

Unless, well, all I can say at that point is sorry

I can't do a single M.2, either they be too small or too expensive.

I'm not seeing it. There is no way Threadripper is that small.

Drake can teach you. Drake might not have made a loop yet, but Drake is surprisingly good plumber and engineer for stuff like this.

I'd probably just use multiple loops in the same system. One custom loop for CPU, and another custom loop for GPU's. Maybe 2 pumps for the GPU's, because 6 GPU's sounds like a lot for a single pump. But yeah, that's the only way I'd get any real use out of threadripper, by making a single PC that acts like 6. 4 cores, 16GB of ram, and a GTX 1070 per client. Though, at that point, I'd probably be better off investing in one of Nvidia's GRID cards. Sadly, that wouldn't be near as fun, or as cool looking as an armada of single slot, waterblocked 1070's. 

Just now, MageTank said:

But yeah, that's the only way I'd get any real use out of threadripper, by making a single PC that acts like 6.

Or, or, 12 M.2 NVMe drives and a full x16 left over for your GPU, on the 1900X.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Maybe 2 pumps for the GPU's, because 6 GPU's sounds like a lot for a single pump.

I'd go triple for redundancy. That way one can die and the other two continue as if nothing happened.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

Seen a fried do this with one of his pc's I'll see if I can find the pic and edit it into the post

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

If your case is big enough and you are willing to buy the parts and plumb it sure anything can be done. A loop is just a res, pump, rad, block and tubing after all so there is nothing stopping you from putting two loops in one case cooling different parts.

Just now, leadeater said:

If your case is big enough and you are willing to buy the parts a plumb it sure anything can be done. A loop is just a red, pump, rad, block and tubing after all so there is nothing stopping you from putting two loops in one case cooling different parts.

All of this is still new to me, being an ITX enthusiast and what not. Just got my very first CLC a couple of months ago, which was my first experience with water, lol. I do eventually want to try a custom loop, but I may wait until the need actually arises. 

Just now, MageTank said:

All of this is still new to me, being an ITX enthusiast and what not. Just got my very first CLC a couple of months ago, which was my first experience with water, lol. I do eventually want to try a custom loop, but I may wait until the need actually arises. 

Just do what I did for your first time, go bat shit insane and put a block on everything and use triple 480mm rads xD

On 8/3/2017 at 9:09 AM, DXMember said:

pretty much the same, he had an Asetek cooler

AMD also includes Asetek mounting bracket for TR4, so they pretty much deem that all current AiO's on the market are good enough

"Good Enough" and "Ideal" are two very different things.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Inadequate coverage WILL negatively affect thermals, the question is how much?

What I am curious about is whether the new Noctua coolers for Threadripper will perform better than some of the AIOs.

The heat spreader should help with hot spots though.

55 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

"Good Enough" and "Ideal" are two very different things.

well.. if it clocks the same as current Ryzen chips, then who cares

in that case "Good Enough" is all we'll ever need ))

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K