Threadripper - too big for current coolers? UPDATE 2

WereCat
18 minutes ago, DXMember said:

well.. if it clocks the same as current Ryzen chips, then who cares

in that case "Good Enough" is all we'll ever need ))

If that's the case, then the Noctua coolers that are coming out will be all we'll ever need.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

well.. if it clocks the same as current Ryzen chips, then who cares

in that case "Good Enough" is all we'll ever need ))

They can hit 4ghz (actually got a screenshot of it hitting 4ghz under Cinebench, with 128GB of DDR4 3200 C19 memory, dunno if I am allowed to share yet though). That was also apparently done under water, so it's certainly possible, though I'd go for a custom loop if I were investing in anything with more than 8 threads. I see no point in cheaping out on the cooling solution after investing heavily into a CPU, platform and memory. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

21 hours ago, MageTank said:

Are we certain that it's the rad size? I would expect the smaller baseplate of the AIO to be the issue. GamersNexus did a video showing how little coverage the dies actually get with current AIO's, and it's only covering roughly half of each die in the center. 

I would concur that the small baseplate on the AIO is probably a big part of any issue.  HardOCP took a look at another potential issue with the Asetek AIOs being the convex shape of the cold plate affecting contact and thermal paste coverage.  While the article below doesn't have any numbers, it does suggest that you may get better thermal coverage if you lap the convex out of the cold plate.  The 'holy grail' solution that he came up with for getting coverage seems a bit convoluted and complex though...

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/05/amd_ryzen_threadripper_coldplate_mounting_mating

Updated with actual testing with how the thermal paste spreads with different applications (using the Asetek cooler) and temperature results.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:03 PM, MageTank said:

Anyone know if it's possible to do a custom loop like that? Using two different radiators entirely? 

I wish I had a picture of my mongrel of a water loop before I pulled the GPU and second rad out of the loop.  Imagine doing basically everything that you aren't supposed to do, and getting away with it for like 4 years.

Picture a regular junk case, let's call it a Rosewill Blackbone, then put in a 5.25in bay res, a Danger Den CPX-Pro living where the bottom 3.5in drives should go.  Follow the hose to from the pump into the Bykski GPU block (on an R9 270x, lol), from the GPU block down to a 240mm rad laying over a large hole cut in the bottom of the case.  From the 240mm rad tubing (soft tubing, of course) runs to the CPU, and from the CPU into a 140mm rad, and finally straight across the case and back into the res.  Then just kinda put cables wherever they'll go and not nterfere with fans.  It was glorious and extremely functional.

When cheap used Polaris 10 mining cards start hitting ebay, I'll reincarnate it in a slightly less-janky manner.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Enermax is making an AIO that will give full coverage to the heat spreader.

It looks good, I have never used a product from Enermax though, how are they?

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Enermax is making an AIO that will give full coverage to the heat spreader.

It looks good, I have never used a product from Enermax though, how are they?

I never used any of their products as well. I had no idea they even make coolers, I though they only make PSUs.

29 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I though they only make PSUs.

Enermax isn't exactly a brand I immediately think of when considering a PSU.  I know they have some Tier 1/Tier2 PSU's on the list, but my first thought on them is not as a quality product.  It's not much different from how I consider Biostar, to be honest.

Still, at least they're not DiabloTek.

• 2 weeks later...