Windows XP just got an update

patrick3027

Yes you read that right, Microsoft just released a "highly unusual" update for Windows XP.

UK hospitals, Telefonica, FedEx, and other businesses were hit by a massive ransomware attack on Friday. Around 75,000 computers in 99 countries were affected by malware known as WannaCry, which encrypts a computer and demands a $300 ransom before unlocking it. The malware was able to spread thanks to flaws in old versions of Windows that were originally used by the NSA to hack into PCs before being made public by the Shadow Brokers group last month.

[...]

Microsoft usually charges businesses to provide custom support agreements for older versions of Windows, which include critical and important software updates from Microsoft beyond the normal end of extended support point. “Seeing businesses and individuals affected by cyberattacks, such as the ones reported today, was painful,” explains Phillip Misner, a security group manager at Microsoft. “Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make the Security Update for platforms in custom support only.”

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/13/15635006/microsoft-windows-xp-security-patch-wannacry-ransomware-attack

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

This better work on kaby lake/ryzen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

this better work of kaby lake/ryzen.

?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Why? People would have another reason to get rid of it.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

this better work of kaby lake/ryzen.

I'll post a new topic on Ryzen and old OSes, Zen has a problem 9_9

I know many still using XP, but never connected to the internet.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

14 minutes ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Will XP ever really die?

What if I told you that windows 10 uses lots of code from windows XP? 

I don't think we'll see it die to 2020-2025

3 minutes ago, Foxxer said:

I know many still using XP, but never connected to the internet.

I still have one system in the house that uses XP for years and it's connected to the internet, and it has absolutely no problems.

And the system is in use daily.

I never had an XP machine, but from what I hear it was a really good OS. I've always wanted to kinda go back and try it.

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'll remember this the next time people try to explain why it's unfeasible or too difficult to support older versions: it really isn't anything more than forced obsolescence to sell windows 10 copies. 

The thing why they don't want to support it is because of money mainly. As you said it forces people to buy a newer software but also you need to have programmers write the update for the old OS which you dont sell copies of anymore thus losing money.

30 minutes ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Will XP ever really die?

Nope not for a long time at least. Did you know some US navy ships run XP for some systems? Probably plenty of other navies do as well. And the other other arms of the military probably...

This has been covered extensively in the Wcry thread, does it need its own thread?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

This has been covered extensively in the Wcry thread, does it need its own thread?

nobody uses search

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well, at least nice it's patched though. Good thing. Even though they want to focus W10 as much as possible and transition more to it, which makes sense.

Still have my old PC which came with Win 98 but installed XP later. Not in use, kinda dismantled though maybe I'll run it one day, at least for older software for fun and so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Will XP ever really die?

Never. It's so common that I still see businesses selling it to this day!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Why? People would have another reason to get rid of it.

Hospitals, banks, and many businesses would be screwed, which would mean that everyone who depends on them would be screwed.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Also press F to pay respect to Vista users who apparently get screwed over again.

Incorrect. All versions of windows from XP to 10 got this update to fix this issue.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Incorrect. All versions of windows from XP to 10 got this update to fix this issue.

Windows 7,8.1 and 10 got the update in March

Windows XP, Vista and 8 had the update issued recently since there are people still using those operating systems (although there's probably around 0.0001% of the windows userbase that is still on vista which of course is a joke) since for most of whom were hit are still using XP because the creators of the software they use can't be arsed to update the software to run on more modern operating systems.

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'll remember this the next time people try to explain why it's unfeasible or too difficult to support older versions: it really isn't anything more than forced obsolescence to sell windows 10 copies. 

well, with windows xp it's not that hard to justify given the extremely long run. Of course they could keep updating it for eternity if they wanted to, that doesn't mean it's worth doing. In this case it was worth it because hospitals use it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

I still have one system in the house that uses XP for years and it's connected to the internet, and it has absolutely no problems.

And the system is in use daily.

As long as you don't go to your bank account using it I don't see much of an issue really....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I never had an XP machine, but from what I hear it was a really good OS. I've always wanted to kinda go back and try it.

It was a wonderful OS. But i feel many people look at it through nostalgia eyes. I get XP and 98 machines in the shop monthly, and they are dreadful to work with/diagnose. I have to admit, windows 10 truly is a good OS. XP should be remembered for what it is, ahead of its time when it was released. XP was so good, that it is still used 15 years later. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft has not made a better OS since, both 7 and 10 are leaps and bounds better than whatever XP had. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Just now, Tocsin_786 said:

It was a wonderful OS. But i feel many people look at it through nostalgia eyes. I get XP and 98 machines in the shop monthly, and they are dreadful to work with/diagnose. I have to admit, windows 10 truly is a good OS. XP should be remembered for what it is, ahead of its time when it was released. XP was so good, that it is still used 15 years later. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft has not made a better OS since, both 7 and 10 are leaps and bounds better than whatever XP had. 

I was in the middle for a long time with Vista. I was a little surprised to have learned that it was regarded as so bad. Looking back it was my hardware that was terrible on that system, the OS didn't bother me that much.