GPU using only 8 lanes on a 3.0 x16

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
15 minutes ago, FrozenHydrangea said:

RX 7600 8GB

You have a PCIe Gen4 x8 GPU, so it only has up to 8 lanes of connectivity even if it's in an x16 slot. It will run at Gen3 x8 speeds in your computer.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7600.c4153

It works because PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible, but it only has half the bandwidth it would in a Gen4 slot (or of it was a PCIe 3.0 x16 card).

someone said to me that since i have a m.2 mounted its normal, but shouldnt my pc have more free lanes to spare for my gpu to use?

According to your motherboard's manual, the M.2 slot only overrides a couple SATA ports, not any of your PCIe slots.

i recently found out that my GPU is only using 8 lanes instead of 16 through the radeon software. someone said to me that since i have a m.2 mounted its normal, but shouldnt my pc have more free lanes to spare for my gpu to use? 

My specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

DDR4 16GB

M.2 500GB (mounted on a m.2, 3.0 x4)

RX 7600 8GB (mounted on a 3.0 x16)

B450 Tomahawk Max

RX 7600 8GB

You have a PCIe Gen4 x8 GPU, so it only has up to 8 lanes of connectivity even if it's in an x16 slot. It will run at Gen3 x8 speeds in your computer.

It works because PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible, but it only has half the bandwidth it would in a Gen4 slot (or of it was a PCIe 3.0 x16 card).

someone said to me that since i have a m.2 mounted its normal, but shouldnt my pc have more free lanes to spare for my gpu to use?

According to your motherboard's manual, the M.2 slot only overrides a couple SATA ports, not any of your PCIe slots.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

oh ok so its just the fact that my gpu is 4.0, i thought it would still use all the 16 lanes anyway but i guess i thought wrong. i was thinking that this might have been the reason why i keep crashing on fortnite (i have made another post for that) but i guess i have to keep troubleshooting for that problem. thank you 🙂

3 hours ago, FrozenHydrangea said:

oh ok so its just the fact that my gpu is 4.0

Nope, its due the GPU only having x8 lanes as indicated by the link above. 

image.png.2a26f63da1a4a1f16d17628cb1450f1a.png

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q