Noctua has finally released a new....... wait..... The desktop fan?

TVwazhere

Summary

Noctua, a cornerstone of fan engineering and the PC community has been developing CPU coolers since the early days of performance PC's amongst other backgrounds in cooling technology. Today, they expand their portfolio into ..... straping an existing fan into a 3D printed bracket

Quotes

Our industrial clients as well as tech-savvy DIYers have already been using our fans for applications beyond the PC cooling space for many years, so the new HOME line marks the next step in leveraging our technologies for a wider scope of cooling demands and making them more accessible for a broader audience

the NV-FM1 is a highly versatile, pivoting mount for 120 and 140mm fans that cannot only be used as a simple stand on desks or other level surfaces, but can also be fixed to walls, ceilings, furniture, or other objects. For applications that require a strong, focused beam of airflow, it can be paired with the tailored NV-AA1-12 airflow amplifier that significantly enhances the fan’s ventilation performance.

Suggested retail prices
The manufacturer’s suggested retail prices are as follows:

NV-FS1: EUR/USD 99.90
NV-FS2: EUR/USD 79.90
NV-FM1: EUR/USD 39.90
NV-AA1-12: EUR/USD 14.90
NV-PS1: EUR/USD 29.90
NV-FH2: EUR 49.90 / USD 44.90
NV-SPH1: EUR 69.90 / USD 59.90
NV-MPG1.brown: EUR/USD 14.90
NV-MPG1.black: EUR/USD 14.90
NV-MPP1.brown Sx4: EUR/USD 12.90
NV-MPP1.black Sx4: EUR/USD 12.90

My thoughts

$100 USD for a $33 retail fan and a bracket with a fan duct. This is what Noctua teased back in Computex 2020..... no wait, 2018!!!

image.thumb.png.bd0124ae1f5e20ced04f404202268d8a.png

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but unless the issue was manufacturing defects in the product, or a shortage of supply, a bracket and injection molded fan duct is quite common and not reinventing the wheel. The noctua tax also feels egregiously high in this instance. As soon as those ducts go out into the wild, I predict people will be able to quickly replicate that and 3D print it, and get 97% of the airflow and acoustic performance at pennies on the $66.

Sources

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-launches-home-product-line-for-home-office-and-multi-purpose-ventilation

https://www.guru3d.com/story/noctua-launches-home-series-desktop-fans-with-120mm-model-priced-at/

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The noctua tax

heh, that's funny because it's true

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Perhaps I'm being too critical,

no, that seems crazy... $50 and they'd probably still make money, maybe even more because who's going to buy this? (yeah, i know...)

i mean i love noctua but i always try to buy the budget option, preferably discounted lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

As soon as those ducts go out into the wild, I predict people will be able to quickly replicate that and 3D print it, and get 97% of the airflow and acoustic performance at pennies on the $66.

You mean besides all the "PC fan as a desk fan" 3D prints that have already been on Thingiverse for years?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3668702

image.png.80bd9a088486daf48f356d2b6b545d94.png

@Levent There it is!

Edited by Needfuldoer

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You mean besides all the "PC fan as a desk fan" 3D prints that have already been on Thingiverse for years?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3668702

image.png.80bd9a088486daf48f356d2b6b545d94.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4912018

lol even noctuas own design is there.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I mean this isn't the worst idea it's actually pretty cool to and good timing 

I must say lol.

What the hell are you doing Noctua, we can make this ourselves. Please bring us A14x25 as promised, and in black plx.

Edit: please let this be true

Noctua product roadmap

Source: https://noctua.at/en/product-roadmap

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

You made me check calendar to see if today is actually April 1st.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

ngl, wouldn't a pc fan make for a pretty bad normal fan? I guess unless you want to be blasted with wind

This has to be a joke.

The 100€ price tag for the set isn't "justified" by the fan duct (15€ retail).  It is their idea that a mount should cost 40€ ...

image.thumb.png.ff9b3feafd122667eaf4b0cdeae12829.png

30€ for a 2A 12V barrel jack PSU .... they didn't even engineered it to use USB-PD ...

image.thumb.png.e944bc1f6ab5f698d647f59b08ef4c59.png

50€ for a passive fan splitter  ....

image.thumb.png.6b3a2e371d6c65b06d513a4d568200e4.png

People never go out of business.

well to be fair all of them have an tax, but some of this tax on noctua, wont float on the fanfare.

did wish one had better stable prices, although some parts seem custom, others parts should just be cheap and choose yourself.

also how big they are for better or worse, + lacking some tech features + higher price? em, not so sure. but would assume they have a decent warranty on it, until you have them whisper into your ear "want an extended warranty?".

If people buy this its perpetuating my theory that Noctua is currently only surviving on name recognition.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

I really doubt they have anything good cooking up. If they did they'd be desperate to release it and hurt the competitions. It's like they having a go each to fairly milk the market... "now it's my turn! BeQuiet! sit down, you had your 12 months"

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Summary

Noctua, a cornerstone of fan engineering and the PC community has been developing CPU coolers since the early days of performance PC's amongst other backgrounds in cooling technology. Today, they expand their portfolio into ..... straping an existing fan into a 3D printed bracket

Quotes

My thoughts

$100 USD for a $33 retail fan and a bracket with a fan duct. This is what Noctua teased back in Computex 2020..... no wait, 2018!!!

image.thumb.png.bd0124ae1f5e20ced04f404202268d8a.png

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but unless the issue was manufacturing defects in the product, or a shortage of supply, a bracket and injection molded fan duct is quite common and not reinventing the wheel. The noctua tax also feels egregiously high in this instance. As soon as those ducts go out into the wild, I predict people will be able to quickly replicate that and 3D print it, and get 97% of the airflow and acoustic performance at pennies on the $66.

Sources

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-launches-home-product-line-for-home-office-and-multi-purpose-ventilation

https://www.guru3d.com/story/noctua-launches-home-series-desktop-fans-with-120mm-model-priced-at/

When are they start to make "Air conditioners"??? 😄 😄 😄

I heard that coffee's good for my sex life.

It isn't.

It kept me awake through the whole damn thing!

I actually had to participate.

- Jeff Dunham -

I feel like this gotta be a joke. But then again, it's Noctua, not really known for pushing the peak of the tech when it comes to new things so passive 8-channel fanhub powered by barrel jack is in line with it being just a Noctua thing. There's some ridiculous shit going on, but possibly not the actual things people might first question: The 12V 2A powerbrick at 30€ isn't that badly priced if you compare to other quality options (so no China Specials) you can get them for 10€ but anything with a brand and you're looking at 20-40€. They probably don't expect to sell a lot of them so 10-20€ for plastic things isn't that high price (considering the mold making and all that for most likely very low volumes), probably the two things that are absolutely overpriced are the most likely powder coated sheet metal base and the fanhub (50€ for that? That's stupid).

It's extremely stupid product and way overpriced as a set. Like I could see myself pay 10€ for it as whole as a gag but 100€, yeah, no. Either it's some kind of inside joke that went too far and in few days they just release STL-files so people can print the plastic parts for the giggles while those with too much money can buy them from Noctua (who pays dearly for such a low volume product).

The probable "sad" part is that the whole thing probably started from the fanhub which is just a disaster and when it was made and it hit the warehouse the first comment was "Just no." and they have like 100 000 pieces of them and they needed to find some way to get rid of them without making too much losses.

But then again, it's Noctua. They ask over 20€ for a "fan silencer" knob (NA-FC1).

Major-hardware already made a 3D printable version over 2 years ago

[Soldering required depending on what setup you use]:

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I was confused about this when I saw it, didn't even see the price. Oh well.

I'm curious to see new flagship cooler and fans. Would be nice to see 30mm fans, maybe even for 200mm size.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I must say lol.

What the hell are you doing Noctua, we can make this ourselves. Please bring us A14x25 as promised, and in black plx.

Edit: please let this be true

Noctua product roadmap

Source: https://noctua.at/en/product-roadmap

These road maps no longer mean anything to me. Here's the history of them for the last three years for reference.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

These road maps no longer mean anything to me. Here's the history of them for the last three years for reference.

Indeed, I personally am still waiting for the NH-D15 refresh. 

running a stock cooler atm, which keeps my CPU quite cold. but want the NH-D15 down the line [if its better than the competition], even if its beyond overkill for a ryzen 9 7900

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Noctua are overhyped, this coming from someone with around 7 of their fan products.

☣️MANHATTEN PROJECT☣️:  5800X3D. 32GB. 7900 XT.

57 minutes ago, FireyFoxiconnRageEX said:

Noctua are overhyped, this coming from someone with around 7 of their fan products.

I wouldn't say that. They are guaranteed reliable high end fan and air cooler brand. If you don't want to do research whether one of countless brands that emerged are any good, you pick this one and get a great performance guaranteed. Does it come cheap? Of course not, such products never do. Can you get a similar or potentially even better product for less? Sure. But you have to do a lot of researching to find one. That's the reality. I've used NoiseBlocker fans for years and now I'm on BeQuiet SilentWings. I do have 3x 92mm Noctua fans on my modded graphic card with custom printed fan shroud. It looks really cool, very industrial and performs really well. My main issue is with inconsistent selection of sizes and fan types (pressure/airflow) and how they don't offer some in certain sizes.

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I wouldn't say that. They are guaranteed reliable high end fan and air cooler brand. If you don't want to do research whether one of countless brands that emerged are any good, you pick this one and get a great performance guaranteed. Does it come cheap? Of course not, such products never do. Can you get a similar or potentially even better product for less? Sure. But you have to do a lot of researching to find one. That's the reality. I've used NoiseBlocker fans for years and now I'm on BeQuiet SilentWings. I do have 3x 92mm Noctua fans on my modded graphic card with custom printed fan shroud. It looks really cool, very industrial and performs really well. My main issue is with inconsistent selection of sizes and fan types (pressure/airflow) and how they don't offer some in certain sizes.

I agree. Just swapped 2x 40mm fans for my voron 3d printer, and they perform 10x better with minimal noise. Also for PC fans I haven't found other fans that performs that well long term. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I agree. Just swapped 2x 40mm fans for my voron 3d printer, and they perform 10x better with minimal noise. Also for PC fans I haven't found other fans that performs that well long term. 

For my 3D printer, I've used SUNON fans. High quality stuff for industrial applications. As for PC, I still swear by BeQuiet and NoiseBlocker. Both German brands with fans that I've used for years and years and have been great performers. I've only recently bought a set of 92mm Noctua fans for my graphic card mod.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

For my 3D printer, I've used SUNON fans. High quality stuff for industrial applications. As for PC, I still swear by BeQuiet and NoiseBlocker. Both German brands with fans that I've used for years and years and have been great performers. I've only recently bought a set of 92mm Noctua fans for my graphic card mod.

Yes sunon is nice as well, especially for blower fans. I've used the noctua 40mm fans for cooling the electronics. Yes noiseblocker and especially bequiet is good fans as well, haven't used them though as they're usually price almost as high as noctua here. 

I really like the products, but what the hell are they doing? Since the NF-A12x25, there hasn't been any innovation from their engineering lab. Even the black version or the (still unreleased) white version of the same fan takes them years of engineering. In recent years, more and more brands have caught up and even surpassed their technologies, and they're still busy reinventing white plastic 6 years later.

Normally I agree that engineers can only make good products if they have enough time. But when you pay these people for half a decade and all they've come up with is a desk mount, you have to wonder if it's taking this long because they're either incompetent or resting on their laurels. At some point, they're just taking too long.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.