AMD adds 8k support to RX480

Chrizt4adam
On 4/5/2017 at 11:45 AM, Ekst4zy said:

Who will ever play games at 8k res on RX480 xD I mean... It's cool and all, but just... funny. 

8K minesweeper sounds legit.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 05/04/2017 at 3:48 PM, The Benjamins said:

just because it supports a resolution does not mean you have to use it for gaming. a RX480 would be uses full to have 3 8k screens to look a spreadsheets or other work related tasks.

As someone who works in accounts, this idea excites me more than it probably should.

On 05/04/2017 at 10:51 AM, Master Disaster said:

8K 30hz on a single cable? 30 FPS @ 8K on an RX480 is optimistic to say the least, 3 FPS is probably closer to the truth.

that'S just stupid. Nobody said it was for gaming.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:57 PM, CostcoSamples said:

AMD did this so Linus would have viewers to watch his vids in 8k.  He has to justify his 8k camera purchase, AMD is helping.

Linus would just go "no one will pair this expensive 8K screen with an mid'range AMD card" and test with Nvidia anyway :P 

On ‎6‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:45 AM, Ekst4zy said:

Who will ever play games at 8k res on RX480 xD I mean... It's cool and all, but just... funny. 

I know most members here are gamers, but computers can do other things too. Some of us work on their computers, and would love to at least try out a big 8k monitor for productivity. I'd love it for designing documents at 1:1 scale, seeing a huge amount of code while programming or doing render/photoshop work and being able to zoom in but still see the rest of the image.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

34 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

that'S just stupid. Nobody said it was for gaming.

Then why include the fps measurements? Its like I said previously, no one cares if their Word runs at 30 fps or 60 fps so why bother saying you'll need twin cables for 60hz mode?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Then why include the fps measurements? Its like I said previously, no one cares if their Word runs at 30 fps or 60 fps so why bother saying you'll need twin cables for 60hz mode?

Have you tried doing basic computing at 30Hz? 'Cause it's a pretty unpleasant experience.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Is it possible to have your RX480 connect to an 8K monitor, with your computer running something GPU heavy, say, Adobe Premiere, which is being rendered on another card, say a 1080 Ti or Titan Xp? Could be a much more cost-effective solution than buying a Quadro to edit 8K footage right now, I guess.

On 5.4.2017 at 4:48 PM, The Benjamins said:

just because it supports a resolution does not mean you have to use it for gaming. a RX480 would be uses full to have 3 8k screens to look a spreadsheets or other work related tasks.

exactly , i mean my HD 5450 supports 2160*1440 but it cant even game at 1280*720 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

They just enabled support for hbr3 which is part of dp 1.4

It means for 8K they can use DSC which is a "visually lossless" real time compression scheme so you don't get 100% identical output as what an application or game actually outputs.. but due to pixel density you can't notice the quality loss.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Hertz =/= FPS.  FPS can be capped by the Hertz rating, but they're not synonymous.

On 05/04/2017 at 5:00 PM, Humbug said:

Exactly. I have an R9 290. I don't game at 4K obviously..

Excuse me? I'll have you know that a 290 is perfectly capable for gaming at 4k...just not ultra settings :P 

Ultra settings=/=whether it can game or not. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 4/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, Ekst4zy said:

Probably more for productivity stuff, not gaming.. I don't think any card is prepared for that atm.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Hertz =/= FPS.  FPS can be capped by the Hertz rating, but they're not synonymous.

I didn't say they were?

Actually reading back yeah, I see your point. My bad.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Surely this must be for some kind of crossfire setup?

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Surely this must be for some kind of crossfire setup?

This thread needs some kind of score board for how many users can only conceive of a graphics card being used for gaming and that no other usages exist.

31 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This thread needs some kind of score board for how many users can only conceive of a graphics card being used for gaming and that no other usages exist.

Sorry, I'm just still used to the idea that if I'm not gaming I should just get a Pentium or some other APU. 

I don't get why they didn't just wait for Vega then say that that's the 8K-ready card, unless maybe Vega is more delayed than I thought.

I was under the impression that if someone's going to shell out however many thousand dollars to be the first ones with 8K that they wouldn't skimp out on a GPU.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Sorry, I'm just still used to the idea that if I'm not gaming I should just get a Pentium or some other APU. 

I don't get why they didn't just wait for Vega then say that that's the 8K-ready card, unless maybe Vega is more delayed than I thought.

I was under the impression that if someone's going to shell out however many thousand dollars to be the first ones with 8K that they wouldn't skimp out on a GPU.

Not everyone needs an expensive or extremely powerful GPU. You don't need a strong GPU to do things like Photoshop, accounting, stocks, programming, etc. However any of those could benefit from having larger, higher-resolution, monitors. The initial focus of those expensive ultra-wide monitors was photo and video editing, for example. You could pair one of those with a fairly cheap GPU without any real problem and if you're not gaming or doing GPU intensive tasks it wouldn't matter.

6 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Not everyone needs an expensive or extremely powerful GPU. You don't need a strong GPU to do things like Photoshop, accounting, stocks, programming, etc. However any of those could benefit from having larger, higher-resolution, monitors. The initial focus of those expensive ultra-wide monitors was photo and video editing, for example. You could pair one of those with a fairly cheap GPU without any real problem and if you're not gaming or doing GPU intensive tasks it wouldn't matter.

You could build an 8K wall sized display at a store or something and an RX 480 driving that custom 8K display for slide shows, text information, video playback, wouldn't break a sweat.

Ha nice. It's like extending the speedometer of a Reliant Robin up to 300 mph with permanent marker, I love it.

40 minutes ago, Derangel said:

You're not wrong, but neither would an RX 480 be the optimum tool for those uses.

30 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Ha nice. It's like extending the speedometer of a Reliant Robin up to 300 mph with permanent marker, I love it.

You're not wrong, but neither would an RX 480 be the optimum tool for those uses.

If there is no need for GPU intensive tasks and the user wishes to have an 8K monitor without spending several thousand dollars on a workstation grade card, then it is in fact the optimal tool.

4 minutes ago, Derangel said:

If there is no need for GPU intensive tasks and the user wishes to have an 8K monitor without spending several thousand dollars on a workstation grade card, then it is in fact the optimal tool.

A £200 GPU for Excel is never the optimum tool lmao