AMD adds 8k support to RX480

Chrizt4adam
1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

A £200 GPU for Excel is never the optimum tool lmao

It depends entirely on the situation. You have a very narrow and close minded view of how hardware can and should be used. The right hardware depends entirely on the specific situation it is being used in and the person using it.

Just now, Derangel said:

It depends entirely on the situation. You have a very narrow and close minded view of how hardware can and should be used. The right hardware depends entirely on the specific situation it is being used in and the person using it.

lmfao you don't get to define parameters and then call people narrow minded for working within them. There are indeed good uses for an RX 480. Using spreadsheets at 8K isn't one of them.

On 04/05/2017 at 10:57 AM, Ekst4zy said:

And you would pair 8k screen with rx480. Seems legit to me. 

Many people seem to hate on this, but if you were a company setting this up for something that didn't require high video demand but wanted 8k, you wouldn't spend more for performance you wouldn't need. If the 480 meets your requirements, why spend more for the 1080ti?

39 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

lmfao you don't get to define parameters and then call people narrow minded for working within them. There are indeed good uses for an RX 480. Using spreadsheets at 8K isn't one of them.

Who the hell gave you the right to decide what is and isn't a good use for hardware? Would spending 3-4+ THOUSAND on a workstation grade card be a better use?

This will be a god send for day traders and offices that keep tickers or live data streams running and only want to use a single, affordable, PC to do it. Whether it be a couple 8k displays or a half dozen 1080p's an affordable and stable option for high res multi monitor support is going to be great. 

On 05/04/2017 at 4:57 PM, Ekst4zy said:

Sure, still. You would buy a 8k screen and a RX480 for it? Seems kinda off to me. I understand that work related stuff is kinda big... But 8k? Oh give ma a break. 

If I were doing video editing work with 4k footage, I'd buy an 8k screen.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

OK so I'll buy a 5000 dollar graphics card to do that instead then. Oh wait, my boss won't pay for that when there is a 200 dollar option that'll do the same job.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

Are there cheaper options for an 8K gpu then? 

Edit: This applied to other Polaris cards too, right, not just the 480, meaning something like a 460 can do the job? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So, the article actually states 'Polaris' even the OP doesn't even contain the number sequence '480'.  460, 470, and 480 have all had HBR enabled.

Ya know, if you want to argue that the 480 is overkill for a range of 2D display scenarios at 8K you might as well note that lower powered options will be present.

So it can support 8k, don't know about rendering 8k content let alone playing games at 8k... 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So, the article actually states 'Polaris' even the OP doesn't even contain the number sequence '480'.  460, 470, and 480 have all had HBR enabled.

Ya know, if you want to argue that the 480 is overkill for a range of 2D display scenarios at 8K you might as well note that lower powered options will be present.

The 460 is Polaris as well. So the update should also apply. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, ErickS89 said:

So it can support 8k, don't know about rendering 8k content let alone playing games at 8k... 

It takes something along the lines of a Titan XP SLI setup to run 8k and it be worth it.

When not gaming, the 480 can easily handle 8k content. Hell, for basic office tasks, at 8k, a 480 might be overkill.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

HBR3 isn't just about 8K, it's just higher data rate in general, it also enables 4K 120 Hz and (probably more useful) daisy-chaining more than two 2560×1440 60 Hz monitors. It's nice to have more options. Not that there are any monitors with DP 1.3/1.4 right now though :P

I absolutely agree! Their are preparing and even testing for the imminent Vega release. Running a Desktop in 8K should be more than duable for a RX480! ;)