What's up with coverage of AMD?

55 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

LTT stopped being my go to channel for reviews when

1) I actually used some of the stuff for myself and noticed it wasn't as cut and dry as they put stuff.

2) The quality of the reviews started going down.

3) Found other smaller tech channels that give WAY better reviews on a product that don't feel like it's low key bias.

4) I couldn't recommend vids and swear by them anymore.

LTT may not be the greatest but they are the largest and they should put  way more effort into reviews since you know how those viewer go to other smaller channels an make it seem like LTT's review is law.

I agree somewhat. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to, and generally go to other channels for quality stuff.

JayZ2Cents does excellent reviews.

My problem is the content itself. There's a lot of stuff I simply don't care about on LTT now. Like how many videos aren't really about tech at all, but the office, their interactions, etc. I mean it's cool and all, and I would like to see it, just not as often as they're pumping it out.

6 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Indeed... and I'm putting forth the supposition that it would be a rather one sided battle - without actually venturing into any particular territories of course.

The person who places the loaded gun in someones hand is just as guilty ;) 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Everyone has a bias, so get over it.

Linus has been more than fair to AMD. He's shit on Nvidia and Intel before. I don't understand why people constantly harp on reviewers when they don't mention how great AMD is in every single review video.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Linus has been more than fair to AMD. He's shit on Nvidia and Intel before. I don't understand why people constantly harp on reviewers when they don't mention how great AMD is in every single review video.

This only started because Linus stupidly reviewed a 100Hz FREESYNC monitor with a nvidia gpu then complained about screen tearing then tried to justify it with a rather stupid comment.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

This only started because Linus stupidly reviewed a 100Hz FREESYNC monitor with a nvidia gpu then complained about screen tearing then tried to justify it with a rather stupid comment.

He still gave the monitor a positive review. You children are making a mountain out of a molehill for his lazy review that everyone so craves.

Just now, Kloaked said:

He still gave the monitor a positive review. You children are making a mountain out of a molehill for his lazy review that everyone so craves.

Who the hell goes out of their way to spend that much money on a monitor that isn't compatible with their gpu to begin with ? Positive review or not that was pretty stupid on his part... That's like me starting a tech channel and running all bench marking all nvidia products using things that clearly benefit amd and then still saying that the nvidia gpu is better after I complained about it's performance in the bench marks. Do you know how much flack I would get for doing such a thing ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

Who the hell goes out of their way to spend that much money on a monitor that isn't compatible with their gpu to begin with ? Positive review or not that was pretty stupid on his part... That's like me starting a tech channel and running all bench marking all nvidia products using things that clearly benefit amd and then still saying that the nvidia gpu is better after I complained about it's performance in the bench marks. Do you know how much flack I would get for doing such a thing ?

Linus did a lazy review on the monitor that probably less than 1% of his viewers would even think about buying. Why go through the effort to change out the test bench to another card?

And just so you know, a lot of monitors coming out now are getting to be Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync compatible even though they cost just a little more than another monitor that lacks that feature set. Someone may look at that monitor as an option for themselves and they may have an Nvidia card.

Sure, Linus could have done a better review with an AMD card to see how good FreeSync worked on that monitor, but it's seriously not that big of a deal due to my first statement.

16 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Except they changed the settings from default, which is why even people with 6900ks couldn't get the same results

AMD replied to this and gave the exact settings

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I agree somewhat. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to, and generally go to other channels for quality stuff.

JayZ2Cents does excellent reviews.

I have been watching a lot of these tech videos from LTT, JayZ2Cents, Tech Source & BitWit for a while and I must say that they're reviewing a lot of the same products. Most of these products seem overpriced for what they do. For example, a $150 headphone like the Audio Technica M50x gets all of the reviews, most of them positive praising "superior audio quality" and "value". I could easily find 5 better headphones under $100, heck $50. But if it ain't made by a top-shelf brand like Audio Technica, Bose or Sennheiser then it may as well not exist. 

Looking at computer hardware, almost every tech reviewer is using/reviewing Corsair RAM. Corsair RAM is usually more expensive, I wonder why? Every GPU reviewed is some kind of "superclocked" special edition that costs $20~$50 more than MSRP. God forbid they review a basic GPU at MSRP (that's not the "reference" card). 

17 hours ago, Jamesuperfun said:

Such a large wall of text... too much for my tired brain to handle.. (I read all except the three numbered points)

Perhaps it's because Nvidia has been leading with the high performance GPU market for quite a while? or that LTT receives a higher amount of products for reviews and builds from Nvidia than they do from AMD, so they're using what they have on hand.

In my opinion, driver updates aren't really that noteworthy of a topic to talk about, sure, there might be some fixes, optimizations, etc... but there's not usually not much that is really worth mentioning, and that the viewers would really care for. (I'm on the blue and green side, so I haven't seen anything even related to AMD's new drivers, if there were some major features or such added, then maybe that could be worth mentioning, but again, not likely something all that groundbreaking.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

17 hours ago, Jamesuperfun said:

A lot of people are getting pissed off (for good reason) that Linus is not treating AMD products fairly. I know, it sounds stupid, and I used to agree - but there's some really notable things here. He isn't specifically bashing AMD but sort of pretending they don't exist, or pushing their tech under the rug.

In the last week or so of videos, 3 things have stirred up controversy. The previous WAN Show ignored one of the biggest topics of the week, AMD's yearly major driver update, until after the outro (at which point it was half-arsed to say the least). The review of a Korean 100Hz FreeSync Curved Ultrawide monitor was done with an Nvidia GPU, there were 2 complaints about tearing and FreeSync was only acknowledged when reading the title of the product (and a terrible excuse was in the comments). In the most recent WAN Show, AMD's event showing a huge amount of Ryzen details and some Vega updates was discussed by mostly mocking the name and then talking about Thunderbolt in the new MacBook. 

There's a point where it just seems like some obvious avoidance of AMD products. Even if this is not deliberate, this sort of reporting is misleading - I'd hate to see the next 'fake news' debacle involve LTT. I'll elaborate on the 3 examples from the past week below with links and timestamps. Of course, on their own these aren't too significant, but considering there are now 3 examples in the last week that have got quite a few concerns, it's worth mentioning.

1. WAN Show ReLive: https://youtu.be/7oEpez1ruis?t=1h8m11s

This update is AMD's yearly major update and a very good example of a discussion worthy topic for the WAN Show. They added a much better built-in zero-overhead recording thing (and separated from Raptr), added WattMann support to older cards and more. The show had quite a few questions about it in the Twitch chat. They were acknowledged after the outro, at which point Linus just mumbled some specs from the download page and ended with "There ya go, now we covered it." Watch the segment, it's the most half-arsed coverage of anything I've ever seen.

2. Cheap Korean Curved Ultrawide Monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvdvjralvs

This one is possibly the most damning. In this video, he takes a FreeSync monitor, says "You don't get the tearing resistance of GSync" (1m55s), uses an Nvidia GPU to test it (5m07s) and complains about tearing (5m50s). I've not facepalmed so hard in a while. Then in the comments, there's this lovely post: http://prntscr.com/di7bl9 Here he says no AMD GPU can run 100FPS on AAA titles so he wont and reviewed the monitor as if you used an Nvidia GPU with it. I shouldn't have to explain why this is bad reasoning (and why this should be explained in the video), but FreeSync is useful from 45FPS on this monitor, it offers higher refresh rates at lower resolutions, Furys can run games such as the tested CS:GO at that res no problem (which is what most people want them for) and there are countless other options like reducing the settings a little or just not running at 100FPS while testing that part of the monitor. It's also very clearly a monitor review, so he should test the features of said monitor, particularly since one would pair a cheap GPU with a cheap monitor. It's just such irrelevant reasoning, and there was a lot of flak for that given in response if you care to find the thread. 

3. WAN Show RyZen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Hugyu2CME

In this video, he starts by covering the basics of Ryzen in the event which is fine, and then goes on to discuss the use of Thunderbolt (since it's an Intel-exclusive tech) and where it could be useful. I assumed at first the event would be returned to, but they moved straight on from it. There was no time given to discuss it, no mention of Vega, no mention of the surprisingly in-depth benchmarks they gave. The dislike bar shows this, as well as the top comments. This topic is by far the biggest of the week, but it was also glossed over and had an irrelevant Intel technology made the focus (as with GSync in 2).

I really like this content, but please, start covering AMD products fairly. It's pissing off quite a few of your viewers and preventing you from being considered a trustworthy source. The comments on YouTube are filled with people annoyed about this. The thread for #2 is also filled with complaints: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/704937-microboard-korean-curved-ultrawide-100hz-gaming-monitor/?page=2 There was also a thread on the front page of r/PCMasterRace with some good discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5hscps/linustechtips_has_been_showing_a_concerning_bias/

1. When's the last time we covered a big NVIDIA driver release? It's not bias if we don't spend a big chunk of time talking about driver releases from either side.

2. I've addressed that in the comments under the video and I guess I'll do it again here. I used the product the way most people will use the product. AMD's marketshare among cards that can actually drive 3440x1440 @ 100Hz is negligible. Most people will be using the monitor with an NVIDIA card. Period.

3. The reason I (and presumably everyone else) is taking all of AMD's bravado around this launch with a giant grain of salt is that we've been burned MANY MANY MANY times by this song and dance. I'm not preordering this one. I'm waiting for actual hardware in my actual hands, which by most accounts will come fairly soon. When that happens I will evaluate it in a fair and unbiased manner.

And, in response to this whining about our unfair treatment of AMD, how excited did we get about Kaby Lake? How much time did we spend talking about that on the WAN Show? This is the problem with fanboys.. They don't see the other side of the coin. If something's not exciting, it's not exciting.. And AMD's boasts of "competitive with 2 gen old Intel" isn't exciting until we know a price.. and if they're completely full of hot air.

Understand none of this happens in a vacuum. I stayed up all night trying to find the so called "amazing overclocking headroom" in Phenom I only to wake up in the mroning and find out no one else could get it to overclock worth a damn either. You hype up lame products to reveiwers for long enough eventually they stop caring what you say and they start waiting for the hardware to show up on their doorstep. AMD is reaping what they've sown.

As for the Thunderbolt thing, you completely missed the point of what I was saying. I was talking about how Thunderbolt is an Intel-exclusive technology that seems to be gaining excellent momentum in the market, but that I don't think it's that big of a deal that AMD won't be able to offer it because I see it as a niche solution for a very small subset of customers. Please actually listen before complaining I am biased.

How many released products that AMD have that's worth hype? 8350 is how old now? Drivers are boring regardless of who the vendor is honestly. 

Intel's launches are kinda boring too with the incremental increases--at least the products aren't empty promises of "my dad can beat up your dad" of AMD. I still want AMD to succeed, but each year makea it harder to silently cheer tbh

AMD need to come up with something which can at least give Intel/Nvidia a run for their money if not outdo them.  Otherwise, Nvidia/Intel will just get very lazy in development, even compared to how they have been in some regards.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Otherwise, Nvidia/Intel will just get very lazy in development, even compared to how they have been in some regards.

I don't think that they are being lazy. They are grappling with the problem of quantum tunneling in silicone due to the die shrinkage.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Just now, Nuluvius said:

I don't think they are being lazy. They are grappling with the problem of quantum tunneling in silicone due to the die shrinkage.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  

If their rivals are not pushing the envelope and nipping away at their market share, they have little need to push the envelope and innovate/invest deep in order to push ahead.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

1. When's the last time we covered a big NVIDIA driver release?

Well Gee. IDK. When's the last time Nvidia ever had a big driver release? Oh wait. They don't. Nvidia drivers suck,

It's not bias if we don't spend a big chunk of time talking about driver releases from either side.

You can at least acknowledge that they are making a change here. Frankly the RX 480 review should be redone now that the new AMD drivers are here.

I used the product the way most people will use the product.

If I wanted to know how most people will use the product and cared about it, I sure as hell wouldn't be watching Linus Tech Tips.

AMD's marketshare among cards that can actually drive 3440x1440 @ 100Hz is negligible.

And? You shouldn't change the way you review a product because you don't feel it will be used the way it was intended to be.

If you don't think most people with AMD GPUs can drive the monitor then why don't you complain to the monitor's manufacturer or to AMD?

Most people will be using the monitor with an NVIDIA card. Period.

Not necessarily. I could easily see people who own an R9 Fury, Nano or Fury X or RX 480 CrossFire use it with this monitor.

3. The reason I (and presumably everyone else) is taking all of AMD's bravado around this launch with a giant grain of salt is that we've been burned MANY MANY MANY times by this song and dance.

Well then I'm sorry. I've been burned by Nvidia's ridiculous insistence that a 3 year old product is now somehow obsolete and their thought process that I am somehow the product instead of their graphics cards and services.

I'm not preordering this one.

Good for you. I never pre-order anything and I would never recommend anyone to pre-order anything.

I'm waiting for actual hardware in my actual hands

which by most accounts will come fairly soon. When that happens I will evaluate it in a fair and unbiased manner.

Good. I look forward to watching an unbiased review.

In many videos referencing AMD and your overall approach to them seems like you have a beef with them or you've got a vendetta against them. (Just saying what it looks like your stance towards AMD is)

And, in response to this whining about our unfair treatment of AMD,

Whining? We're having a discussion in an orderly fashion. There are a lot of AMD fanboys and shills which would love nothing more than to whine at you.

We're stating our disagreements with you and that's it.

how excited did we get about Kaby Lake?

I'd be more disturbed if you were excited about Kaby Lake and Intel's ridiculously slow upgrade cycles.

AMD's Zen signifies a new independence from Intel and means we no longer have to rely on Intel's near Monopoly in the CPU market.

How much time did we spend talking about that on the WAN Show?

Not much and frankly I didn't expect you to. Kaby Lake is not something inspiring or different. It's not a fundamental change in how Intel makes CPUs or performance or efficiency.

This is the problem with fanboys.

And we're not even hardcore fanboys. We will listen to reason. But from our perspective it looks like you just don't try anymore. I watch less and less LTT videos than I did when I started 3 years ago.

They don't see the other side of the coin.

It might be helped by the fact I (I can't speak for anyone else here) couldn't care less about what Nvidia is doing. 

Nvidia and Intel haven't excited me. Not even the GTX 1080. I was happy to see better performance but I was just as annoyed that high end gaming is still inaccessible to a lot of people.

If something's not exciting, it's not exciting..

Exactly. Do I find Kaby Lake exciting? Not in the slightest. What about Nvidia's 10 series? If they weren't overpriced as hell then I might be excited. But frankly I'm not.

And AMD's boasts of "competitive with 2 gen old Intel" isn't exciting until we know a price.. and if they're completely full of hot air.

yes it is. It's exciting because we're no longer forced to buy Intel products. It's exciting because the monopoly in the CPU market will eventually die.

Understand none of this happens in a vacuum.

You don't say?

I stayed up all night trying to find the so called "amazing overclocking headroom" in Phenom I only to wake up in the mroning and find out no one else could get it to overclock worth a damn either.

Again. I can't relate to this but that's due to fact that I really don't care about overclocking.

You hype up lame products to reveiwers for long enough eventually they stop caring what you say and they start waiting for the hardware to show up on their doorstep. AMD is reaping what they've sown.

So you weren't excited with Polaris? Of course not. You've been spoiled by Nvidia's dominance in the market and AMD's progress doesn't excite you.

As for the Thunderbolt thing, you completely missed the point of what I was saying. I was talking about how Thunderbolt is an Intel-exclusive technology that seems to be gaining excellent momentum in the market, but that I don't think it's that big of a deal that AMD won't be able to offer it because I see it as a niche solution for a very small subset of customers. Please actually listen before complaining I am biased.

If it's such as niche product as you were so eager to point out, then why should Intel even bother?

19 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

How many released products that AMD have that's worth hype?

RX 480 was the only one in recent memory. RX 460 wasn't but that was due to not being incredibly efficient and not performing as well as expected.

8350 is how old now?

The 8350 is not a bad CPU. Software and games may never offer the support needed to fully take advantage of them.

Drivers are boring regardless of who the vendor is honestly. 

So it's boring if the product you bought (which was initially 10-15% worse) is now on par or 1-5% better than the competitor's product? Dear god what has happened to people.

Intel's launches are kinda boring too with the incremental increases

You don't say?

--at least the products aren't empty promises of "my dad can beat up your dad" of AMD.

Neither was RX 480. RX 480 claimed to offer VR performance. Anybody who expected GTX 980Ti GTX 980 performance was not thinking straight.

I still want AMD to succeed, but each year makea it harder to silently cheer tbh

I'm actually finding this to be the opposite.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

OP, you mix too many different things:

1) A driver release is as exciting as watching mold grow. I guess the inclusion of a streaming tool made it worth mentioning, but being honest, a driver will be news if if makes GPUs explode or something.

2) His explanation was lame then, and it's still lame today, especially because the whole point of Freesync is not meeting the 100Hz rate. Was it about excluding AMD products? I think it was more a matter of choosing to make a particular type of review. He claims he wanted to review "the experience the majority of people buying this screen will get". Personally, I would prefer by far a review of the product itself, which implies checking all its features. "It has feature X, it works this well" is an attempt at objective information. "Feature X is pretty useless for most of you" is an opinion. I'm fine with reviewing both ("hey, this is the MBP with 2 thunderbolts, it turns out it's not compatible with most. Btw, I think most people won't have TB devices anyway"), but I surely prefer the balance to be more information than opinion (after all, that kind of reviews is what brought me to LTT the first time). If I understand a product fully, I can make my own choices. Anyone "not in the majority" still ignores what things would be like for him with Freesync if buying that monitor. Not the kind of review I like to watch, but a kind of review they can choose to make.

3) That's basically the WAN show. They start discussing news, they end up discussing how useless Luke is to the show or Denis' story or whatever. In this case, they started talking about the MacBook TB port to illustrate why they though that Zen lacking TB support wasn't an issue, i.e., to dismiss what someone could consider a drawback of AMD. In other words, they were saying "AM4 will have basically everything. Well, except TB, but that doesn't matter to most people" (btw, see, Linus? Even you can state facts and say it won't matter for most people, instead of only doing the latter :P).

As you can see, these are all different situations which hardly add up to anything. Even if they hated AMD or were secretly paid by Intel, this wouldn't reveal much. It looks like the kind of "laundry list" (in Eco's words) one come up with when first stating the conclusion and then looking at the facts, instead of the other way around (once you're set on a reptilian conspiracy ruling the Earth, you'll start to see "fitting" clues everywhere, because you are asking yourself "would it be consistent with...?" instead of "is this necessary the result of...?").

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I have been watching a lot of these tech videos from LTT, JayZ2Cents, Tech Source & BitWit for a while and I must say that they're reviewing a lot of the same products. Most of these products seem overpriced for what they do. For example, a $150 headphone like the Audio Technica M50x gets all of the reviews, most of them positive praising "superior audio quality" and "value". I could easily find 5 better headphones under $100, heck $50. But if it ain't made by a top-shelf brand like Audio Technica, Bose or Sennheiser then it may as well not exist. 

Looking at computer hardware, almost every tech reviewer is using/reviewing Corsair RAM. Corsair RAM is usually more expensive, I wonder why? Every GPU reviewed is some kind of "superclocked" special edition that costs $20~$50 more than MSRP. God forbid they review a basic GPU at MSRP (that's not the "reference" card). 

There are only so many products to review. It's not the reviewers you should have beef with, but the companies themselves. Reviewers generally don't ask for certain products. They get sent review samples that the companies want them to review. Smaller companies are probably less likely to offer review units, or choose their reviewers more carefully.

Personally I don't think Linus or any of the other tech reviewers should really do audio reviews, other than gaming headsets. I mean they're helpful in the way you'd take an opinion of a buddy, but not an informed person. For that I go to Inner Fidelity, or someone who focuses solely on audio. Same with phones. Best left to people like Marcus, who have been doing mostly that.

You're not using MSRP properly. That stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

They likely don't review entry level cards because as enthusiasts chances are we'd pay the nominal fee to step up to something better.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you don't think most people with AMD GPUs can drive the monitor then why don't you complain to the monitor's manufacturer or to AMD?

Because I'm sure AMD really cares about that, and I'm sure some B grade monitor company is going to worry that their added feature (which IIRC is free) isn't being used.

AMD's Zen signifies a new independence from Intel and means we no longer have to rely on Intel's near Monopoly in the CPU market.

Maybe. I don't trust AMD and their benchmarks. I really, really hope they do well, especially with that TDP, as it'd work perfectly in my next rig, but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet.

Nvidia and Intel haven't excited me. Not even the GTX 1080. I was happy to see better performance but I was just as annoyed that high end gaming is still inaccessible to a lot of people.

Which, the 1080? It's their top tier card. Of course it's going to be expensive. You don't sell your flagship product at low prices. That's now how businesses operate. They're not in it to make gaming affordable, it's like every hobby, it has varying levels of expense. Want the best? It's going to cost you.

Exactly. Do I find Kaby Lake exciting? Not in the slightest. What about Nvidia's 10 series? If they weren't overpriced as hell then I might be excited. But frankly I'm not.

The price isn't that bad for the performance. Is it higher? Yes. Something has to offset the huge R&D bill.

All of my friends upgraded. So clearly it's not that overpriced.

If it's such as niche product as you were so eager to point out, then why should Intel even bother?

In hopes that it eventually gets adopted. If companies didn't try to introduce new things we'd never advance at all.

The 8350 is not a bad CPU. Software and games may never offer the support needed to fully take advantage of them.

If a company doesn't design the CPU for what's currently available on the market software and game wise, I'd say that's a poorly designed CPU. That's like saying "this car is great! It runs on fusion!". Except, nothing's available.

I think he's more disappointed that they haven't really improved on it in any great way in many years. Look at their chipsets.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

23 hours ago, Jamesuperfun said:

~snip~

1) As multiple people have said before, Driver updates are not news. Them adding in more bloatware like Nvidia isn't something that really needs to be discussed in that much detail.

2) ...pretty much every non-Gsync monitor nowadays is a freesync compatible monitor... I really don't understand your point. Would it be nice to review every monitor under each vendor and compare how it works with both? Sure. Would it be worth the time and effort for a review of a cheap monitor? Nope. And if you're worried about freesync because you can't hit the 100fps frame time, you should probably grab a cheaper 60Hz monitor anyways.

3) really? I mean I'd love to switch over to team green, but when do you not remember the bulldozer launch? Talking up how great CMT would be and how the performance would crush Intel chips? I'll believe Ryzen's performance when I see it. There's no point in getting overly hyped about an AMD CPU anymore since they've disappointed our expectations far too many times.

6 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Just because he shits on Intel and Nvidia occasionally, (and yes it is only occasionally) doesn't mean that he is fair to AMD.  This event is bigger than almost any event that Intel has done in nearly 10 years and it hardly got a mention on LTT.  I'm not going to point fingers till the product launches, but if he doesn't give them a fair shake at it then I will be raising my dongers super hard.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

5 hours ago, Kierax said:

Necessity is the mother of invention.  

If their rivals are not pushing the envelope and nipping away at their market share, they have little need to push the envelope and innovate/invest deep in order to push ahead.

Although the urgency from real competition is undeniably an important factor it's more a case of a development wall i.e. the physical limit of the scale of a silicone based logic gate. Yes innovation can occur to circumvent this constraint... Unfortunately however any conjecture on that particular subject is likely to be as inflammatory as the very argument of Intel vs AMD as has been proven in the past by previous thread on the very subject - people seem to get rather angry when thinking outside of the box and the whole thing seems to descend into a giant ego bashing orgy.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

23 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

default 200 samples to 100

150* samples, does it really matter however? All it did was "increase" the score of the 6900K as well so...hardly an issue is it?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

When you challenge your viewers to run the same test at home so they can get an idea of how their current CPU will fair against RyZen then yes, it's a problem

Meh, not that big of a deal as they obviously forgot to change the settings in the file

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

How much is there really to say about Zen/Ryzen until reviewers get the the chips and mobos in their hands and test them? Same applies to the RX 490. They are both imminent, and the manufacturer says they're great, there isn't much more to report on them yet.

4 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Just because he shits on Intel and Nvidia occasionally, (and yes it is only occasionally) doesn't mean that he is fair to AMD.  This event is bigger than almost any event that Intel has done in nearly 10 years and it hardly got a mention on LTT.  I'm not going to point fingers till the product launches, but if he doesn't give them a fair shake at it then I will be raising my dongers super hard.

It's a bigger event because, unlike AMD, Intel and Nvidia haven't spent the last five years sucking donkey balls. Intel and Nvidia don't need to seriously hype their products to get people to buy them, they are very much the standard which AMD is trying to meet.

Being fair to AMD is stating that they don't have a graphics card on the market that can run 40K 60. Being fair to AMD is stating that they don't have a graphics card that can push a Predator x34 to 100 hz on a current gen AAA game.

The question isn't "Do I buy a 1080 or an AMD card?" it's "Do I buy a 1060 or an RX480?" The 1060 isn't Nvidia's second or third rank card, it is their fourth ranked product.

CPU's have been much the same way. Zen is competing favorably with year old Intel in terms of performance but that doesn't say much. Intel is going to have a 5 ghz 4 core on the market before Ryzen arrives and that chip is going to be the go to chip for anyone who needs high end performance with 4 cores,

Ryzen is competing against the Broadwell-E lineup but even there, going by the numbers we have at the moment, it isn't anything spectacular unless Ryzen ends up priced very aggressively

---

If AMD wants coverage then they can deliver products worth covering..