What's up with coverage of AMD?

13 hours ago, XenosTech said:

LTT may not be the greatest but they are the largest and they should put  way more effort into reviews since you know how those viewer go to other smaller channels an make it seem like LTT's review is law.

To please the masses they have to do that on the other hand gamersNexus has a core audience (enthusiasts) and  they cater to them I mean using thermal probes I have never seen a channel/site go so deep (terrible) pun 

12 hours ago, XenosTech said:

This only started because Linus stupidly reviewed a 100Hz FREESYNC monitor with a nvidia gpu then complained about screen tearing then tried to justify it with a rather stupid comment.

He did mention the tearing might be due to GPU

1 hour ago, Paradine Sage said:

It's a bigger event because, unlike AMD, Intel and Nvidia haven't spent the last five years sucking donkey balls. Intel and Nvidia don't need to seriously hype their products to get people to buy them, they are very much the standard which AMD is trying to meet.

Being fair to AMD is stating that they don't have a graphics card on the market that can run 40K 60. Being fair to AMD is stating that they don't have a graphics card that can push a Predator x34 to 100 hz on a current gen AAA game.

The question isn't "Do I buy a 1080 or an AMD card?" it's "Do I buy a 1060 or an RX480?" The 1060 isn't Nvidia's second or third rank card, it is their fourth ranked product.

CPU's have been much the same way. Zen is competing favorably with year old Intel in terms of performance but that doesn't say much. Intel is going to have a 5 ghz 4 core on the market before Ryzen arrives and that chip is going to be the go to chip for anyone who needs high end performance with 4 cores,

Ryzen is competing against the Broadwell-E lineup but even there, going by the numbers we have at the moment, it isn't anything spectacular unless Ryzen ends up priced very aggressively

---

If AMD wants coverage then they can deliver products worth covering..

The only people I see upgrading are the ones who are already on AMD (market share remains the same)

And  people upgrading from p4d or c2duos  And 1st  gen Intel products I  mean my (younger)  brother is using a i5-2500 and I am on i7-3770k neither of us are excited as the IPC gains are not.worth  the upgrade( both kabylake and zen)

52 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

To please the masses they have to do that on the other hand gamersNexus has a core audience (enthusiasts) and  they cater to them I mean using thermal probes I have never seen a channel/site go so deep (terrible) pun 

He did mention the tearing might be due to GPU

They need to pull their socks up and improve the quality of the reviews and it's still a stupid complaint to make when you know full whenn you were using the wrong gpu to begin with.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

They need to pull their socks up and improve the quality of the reviews and it's still a stupid complaint to make when you know full whenn you were using the wrong gpu to begin with.

Its simply calling the cat force to do  your reports...I  guess Linus is too  lazy to change a Gpu  on an open air  bench

A lot of TL:DR but after getting through what i have i do agree that until it actually releases you cant know if it will actually be good. Ive been following all the leaks and trying to find out as much as i can on its performance because i want it to be good. I am a bit of an amd fanboy but i fully understand that they arent the performance king. Very well aware that they havent released anything close to intels cpus in years. I want this to be their big comeback and have the PC gaming community start being able to actually discuss some decent pros and cons of the two platforms instead of flame war and the obvious difference in price per performance. I saw a leak that the chip compared against the 6900k is only $500ish and their 4 core 8 thread is $150ish which would be great for the community, having some less expensive offerings that can start to compete with intel again. Of course early leaks arent concrete but i makes me hopeful that they will be somewhat comparable to the intel offerings by core and thread.

On 12/17/2016 at 7:31 AM, wcreek said:

I can understand why Linus and by extension LMG doesn't talk much about AMD hardware and that's for the simple fact its not top tier performance and they devote most of their time to top tier stuff.

I think it's pretty pathetic though that maybe you and some others are getting pissy about LMG's coverage of AMD.

If AMD actually starts making better performing hardware as in hardware that can compete with Intel and Nvidia's highest offerings, I could see LMG using an AMD testbench alongside their Intel testbench, and do monitor reviews with like that monitor they just reviewed with AMD cards if AMD did make a card similar to like the Titan XP.

Linus's preference to gsync doesn't have to mean he's a fanboy or a shill.

Besides the CS forbidding it, I'm sort of surprised no one has tried to paint me just as another Intel/Nvidia shill.

Which I would find incredibly hilarious because most of my laptops that I've owned have had an AMD CPU in it. My current laptop has a Bristol Ridge A10 (A10 9600P), my planned build while yes will likely have an Intel CPU will likely have an AMD GPU. (The 480 is a little cheaper than the 1060 and they seem to be more on par now. Actually, before I had considered the 1060, I was thinking about going with the 480.)

Honestly, I want to see AMD succeed. I really do. For now though AMD is still more than a few steps behind Intel, and only one CPU from the new line up has been revealed. Really not much to talk about right now until they give us more. Like I had said, the reason LMG doesn't really focus on AMD is they've not done much innovation recently so LMG sees not much of a reason to give them much time.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

How much is there really to say about Zen/Ryzen until reviewers get the the chips and mobos in their hands and test them? Same applies to the RX 490. They are both imminent, and the manufacturer says they're great, there isn't much more to report on them yet.

This is the same group of people that will happily ramble on about anything they feel the urge to, though.  They don't have Tesla cars, yet they ramble on about them all the time.   And how about when he blamed AMD, of all things, for Intel pricing a CPU at $1700?  Like AMD has anything at all to do with what prices Intel sets on their products.  And yes, he did then bash Intel for pricing it that high.  But notice he's more than happy to shove one in that ridiculous desk build when Intel sends him one.  Along with the 1500W power supply that they said absolutely nobody needed a few months back.  

Bottom line: the evidence is there if you care to look for it.  Just because you're not over the moon about something does not mean you should just ignore it, and then turn around and deny that that's exactly what you're doing when you're called on it.

9 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

This is the same group of people that will happily ramble on about anything they feel the urge to, though.  They don't have Tesla cars, yet they ramble on about them all the time.   And how about when he blamed AMD, of all things, for Intel pricing a CPU at $1700?  Like AMD has anything at all to do with what prices Intel sets on their products.  And yes, he did then bash Intel for pricing it that high.  But notice he's more than happy to shove one in that ridiculous desk build when Intel sends him one.  Along with the 1500W power supply that they said absolutely nobody needed a few months back.  

Bottom line: the evidence is there if you care to look for it.  Just because you're not over the moon about something does not mean you should just ignore it, and then turn around and deny that that's exactly what you're doing when you're called on it.

Intel couldn't have gotten away with pricing the Broadwell-E line as high as they did if they had actual competition, and since AMD hasn't delivered anything worth the name in years Intel hasn't had actual competition.

As for stuffing one into his new desk (his work daily driver now apparently), the only negative about the 6950K is its price. Linus was given one for "free" so why wouldn't he use it? Ignoring price it is, without any doubt, the best consumer CPU on the market for a general purpose build. Especially when you OC it.

His setup also probably needs a thousand watts at a bare minimum. So yeah, the 1500 watt PSU is more than is technically needed but you don't generally want to be running more than about 80-85% of rated capacity in normal use anyways and (as he said in the video) the fan will be able to spin slower and thus produce less noise.

19 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

But notice he's more than happy to shove one in that ridiculous desk build when Intel sends him one.  Along with the 1500W power supply that they said absolutely nobody needed a few months back.  

...He's sent "free" hardware for a sponsored overkill personal system and you're upset that he used said hardware? He said right in the video that the power supply was way too big and not necessary, but that that's what LMG does... Going insane overkill is what draws an audience, it has very little to do with bias and more to do with AMD not having anything that would currently qualify as "insane overkill"...

13 hours ago, dizmo said:

There are only so many products to review. It's not the reviewers you should have beef with, but the companies themselves. Reviewers generally don't ask for certain products. They get sent review samples that the companies want them to review. Smaller companies are probably less likely to offer review units, or choose their reviewers more carefully.

Personally I don't think Linus or any of the other tech reviewers should really do audio reviews, other than gaming headsets. I mean they're helpful in the way you'd take an opinion of a buddy, but not an informed person. For that I go to Inner Fidelity, or someone who focuses solely on audio. Same with phones. Best left to people like Marcus, who have been doing mostly that.

You're not using MSRP properly. That stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

When reviewers only review samples that get sent to them, you see the same case review from a dozen YouTubers. That happens too often. It's super frustrating to see the same 5 products like the NZXT S340 or Phanteks P400s reviewed. Why can't we find a single Xigmatek case review anywhere? These so-called reviews seem biased towards top-shelf brands like Corsair, Asus, MSI or NZXT. Smaller companies just don't have much content to offer, and if they get something sent to them it's likely going to be the same few products that the other big companies review exclusively. 

About the MSRP, yeah, I used the word incorrectly. So what? I think that my point still holds. Reviewers typically go for the more expensive versions of each GPU instead of going for the cheaper versions. 

Audio reviews are similar in a sense that only expensive gear gets attention. It doesn't matter if the review comes from Zeos or Innerfidelity, they'll review the same expensive stuff. Budget reviews are few and far between. This is alarming because it manipulates consumers into thinking that they have to spend more money to get quality products. I mean, until Monster released their $300 Beats by Dre headphone consumers were content using $10 earbuds (e.g. JVC gummies). Since then, every manufacturer released $300 headphones and people think it's "normal". Even some reviewers online consider $100 headphones as "budget", since they mostly review $300 headphones. You go to the forums and most people are willing to spend $150~$250 on headphones. I blame so-called audio experts for inflating headphone prices. 

8 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

When you challenge your viewers to run the same test at home so they can get an idea of how their current CPU will fair against RyZen then yes, it's a problem

The profile on the AMD page has been updated for a few days now and it is set to 150 samples.

It was an issue, yes, but they fixed it as you would expect so it's no longer an issue :)

edit: 4k posts milestone reached woo xD

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 12/17/2016 at 9:12 AM, CDHoward said:

it's good to see Intel fanboys Triggered as Zen, the complete Intel smasher, approaches lel

Bulldozer was supposed to crush Intel.

It didn't. You can call Zen/Ryzen whatever you want, but calling it a "complete Intel smasher" is a bit far until we have benchmarks from third-party reputable sources such as Anandtech, and TechPowerUp. Until then, I can remaining skeptical but interested in what AMD has to say and/or show.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 18/12/2016 at 3:11 PM, kokakolia said:

Audio reviews are similar in a sense that only expensive gear gets attention. It doesn't matter if the review comes from Zeos or Innerfidelity, they'll review the same expensive stuff. Budget reviews are few and far between. This is alarming because it manipulates consumers into thinking that they have to spend more money to get quality products. I mean, until Monster released their $300 Beats by Dre headphone consumers were content using $10 earbuds (e.g. JVC gummies). Since then, every manufacturer released $300 headphones and people think it's "normal". Even some reviewers online consider $100 headphones as "budget", since they mostly review $300 headphones. You go to the forums and most people are willing to spend $150~$250 on headphones. I blame so-called audio experts for inflating headphone prices. 

To be fair, there *is* a big difference in sound quality from my $150 ATH-M50Xs and a $30 pair of, say, skullcandy headphones. Reviews skew towards higher end products for two reasons. A) Brands get more out of advertising flagship products so people don't see as many flaws. If you were say Senheiser and wanted to show off your products, would you offer review units to show off one that has a ton of compromises due to cost, or one that has great quality and people will associate your brand with, even if they can't afford it themselves?

B) There's typically more to differentiate higher end products. That's a generalization and can be picked apart like any generalization, but for the most part it's true. 

28 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

To be fair, there *is* a big difference in sound quality from my $150 ATH-M50Xs and a $30 pair of, say, skullcandy headphones. Reviews skew towards higher end products for two reasons. A) Brands get more out of advertising flagship products so people don't see as many flaws. If you were say Senheiser and wanted to show off your products, would you offer review units to show off one that has a ton of compromises due to cost, or one that has great quality and people will associate your brand with, even if they can't afford it themselves?

B) There's typically more to differentiate higher end products. That's a generalization and can be picked apart like any generalization, but for the most part it's true. 

Yes but active noise cancellation headphones are overpriced as hell. Seriously, why aren't there any budget noise cancelling headphones for like $100-150 instead of the current ridiculous $300-400

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes but active noise cancellation headphones are overpriced as hell. Seriously, why aren't there any budget noise cancelling headphones for like $100-150 instead of the current ridiculous $300-400

Because the noise canceling chips, and batteries, and charging chips, and microphones, and other things cost $20. And then they have 1000% markup because they can get away with it?

Anyways, this is off topic and we should probably focus back on CPUs/GPUs.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I actually have a $30 pair of Skullcandy headphones. The Skullcandy Grind. They don't sound great, but surprisingly good given the price. I think that most people would be quite satisfied with the way these sound: very warm, with increased bass and forgiving treble. They do lack speed, soundstage and the bass can be flabby at times. But for $30 all is forgiven, especially when they're that comfy and come with a removable chord. Interestingly, they're more durable, comfortable and stylish than anything from Sennheiser or Audio Technica. The design is so simple: a metal headband with hard plastic sliding earcups. There is no fancy headband sliding mechanism that inevitably fails (I am looking at you, AKG and Philips!). They even have soft padding on the headband! Something that even the $160 AKG K553 Pro doesn't have. Only a brand like Bose could compete with these $30 headphones in the comfort category, but they're nowhere near as durable. 

When a product is that good and that cheap and has been around for years, it deserves more attention. 

10 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

When a product is that good and that cheap and has been around for years, it deserves more attention. 

In an ideal world? Maybe. But in the neoliberal commercialist world we live in? Not at all.

Comfort and extra padding aren't catchy. They don't sell. "Good enough" doesn't sell. What sells is selling your headphones with "Extra Bass" and "Amazing audio!!!". If you want good reviews on those two things from products that are mediocre in that department you have three options:

1) Get paid shills to review it (beats)

2) Get decent reviews of higher tier products and let your brand name effect trickle down to sell it (Sony, Sennheiser, ect.)

3) Don't go out of the way for reviews and just use punchy marketing to draw consumers to your products (Skullcandy, Marley, and the like)

I would love a world with fair and accurate reviews of every product available on the market, but when you get realistic, that is very much not the world we live in...

See there is a problem with LTT videos as of late. It's not about them being biased against AMD although I do think they are even if not consciously so (the vast majority of bias is not acknowledged, duh), it's more that it's just been crap content. Half arsed reviews, uninformed opinions that they send out like they don't hold the responsibility of a media outlet (they do), and a whole bunch of not wanting to admit to making any mistake at all.

Hell we all pointed out that on the Holiday buyer's guide he told people to buy an NZXT S340 + a 5.25" Optical drive on the same build, even though the S340 has no bays for said drive. Did he correct it? No.

What about the time when we all said that he should have reviewed Freesync on that monitor? His response in a nutshell was "Why would anyone want to run this monitor with an AMD card?"

Really though Linus has become the cnet of tech youtubers. I hope that this dip in quality corresponds to a dip in their revenue.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

In an ideal world? Maybe. But in the neoliberal commercialist world we live in? Not at all.

Comfort and extra padding aren't catchy. They don't sell. "Good enough" doesn't sell. What sells is selling your headphones with "Extra Bass" and "Amazing audio!!!". If you want good reviews on those two things from products that are mediocre in that department you have three options:

1) Get paid shills to review it (beats)

2) Get decent reviews of higher tier products and let your brand name effect trickle down to sell it (Sony, Sennheiser, ect.)

3) Don't go out of the way for reviews and just use punchy marketing to draw consumers to your products (Skullcandy, Marley, and the like)

I would love a world with fair and accurate reviews of every product available on the market, but when you get realistic, that is very much not the world we live in...

So you openly admit that tech reviews are tainted with underlying marketing. Yep! I agree. 

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

See there is a problem with LTT videos as of late. It's not about them being biased against AMD although I do think they are even if not consciously so (the vast majority of bias is not acknowledged, duh), it's more that it's just been crap content. Half arsed reviews, uninformed opinions that they send out like they don't hold the responsibility of a media outlet (they do), and a whole bunch of not wanting to admit to making any mistake at all.

Hell we all pointed out that on the Holiday buyer's guide he told people to buy an NZXT S340 + a 5.25" Optical drive on the same build, even though the S340 has no bays for said drive. Did he correct it? No.

What about the time when we all said that he should have reviewed Freesync on that monitor? His response in a nutshell was "Why would anyone want to run this monitor with an AMD card?"

Really though Linus has become the cnet of tech youtubers. I hope that this dip in quality corresponds to a dip in their revenue.

Exactly, the highest priority for media companies is views followed by quality somewhere down the list.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Exactly, the highest priority for media companies is views followed by quality somewhere down the list.

Actually YouTube has made views practically meaningless. The main important metric is now Watch Time.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually YouTube has made views practically meaningless. The main important metric is now Watch Time.

I meant media companies in general, not just youtube. LMG does more stuff than just youtube as far as I'm aware.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I meant media companies in general, not just youtube. LMG does more stuff than just youtube as far as I'm aware.

They also do floatplane although it'd be interesting if they published some information about floatplane numbers and whatnot.

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

So you openly admit that tech reviews are tainted with underlying marketing. Yep! I agree. 

Oh, I absolutely do. To not believe that would be ignorant of me.

That's the system though, and unfortunately the generations before us have forged the system in such a way that it's not very realistic to break free. I understand you wanting them to be a glowing idol, but to expect them not to work with the system they exist within is rather asinine. It is not their bias that's the problem, but the bias of the system as a whole.

while i agree with some of the comments here about the way the freesync review was done, i don't think LMG is biased against AMD.

What i would like to see is @LinusTech, @Slick show more AMD in their video's. Usually when you do a case review or unboxing or w/e. You build a PC in it and just show the case with the PC in it at the end of the video... Just show a Radeon logo in there... or an AMD logo. It's not about the PC anyway so just show something else then Nvidia and Intel in there.... Something like that is also telling a lot of people to buy Intel/Nvidia, even though that might not be the intention there. You read about more and more people not ever hearing of AMD anywhere and people like us on this forum saying we want AMD to be great again.... well if influencers like LMG don't show AMD anywhere then less and less people will hear about them and not buy their stuff...

Just give AMD a little more exposure so people at least look at their stuff and maybe consider buying it. And PLEEEAAASSEEEE for the love of all that is holy stop with the endless bullshit video's about those useless titans no one should ever buy.... they are sooooooo boring.

Just to be clear here, i only watch LTT video's, no other tech channels.... just please put some more AMD in there sometimes when the PC doesn't really matter.

I have no signature