Apple releases $300 book containing 450 photos of Apple products

Ummm no...

just no.

Apple's new standard for low. :| 

*edit

Lets put this into perspective people...

$300.00 USD for a stinking premium looking Catalog??????

Not to mention Apple is apotheosizing their products by doing this. (yes apotheosize is a word)

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, RKRiley said:

-snip-

'Groundbreaking innovation', requires a lot of money and heard work.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Wow, is that your argument really? Because it's totally comparable, be it to something else or "someone else will buy it", try harder, and cut the bullshit with "choice" garbage everyone says everywhere cause they can't say anything meaningful and try to defend something that makes no sense just for the sake of it.

In no way is it, or any other "choice" argument, bullshit. A company SHOULD produce anything that it thinks it can make money off of. It's why products like the Razer H440, fnatic mouse pad, LTT Noctua fans, or LTT shirts exist. People will buy it because they deem it to be worth the cost. Should LTT stop selling shirts because I think it's stupid to spend that kind of money on the quality of shirts that LTT is selling? Of course not, because other people will buy them.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

In no way is it, or any other "choice" argument, bullshit. A company SHOULD produce anything that it thinks it can make money off of. It's why products like the Razer H440, fnatic mouse pad, LTT Noctua fans, or LTT shirts exist. People will buy it because they deem it to be worth the cost. Should LTT stop selling shirts because I think it's stupid to spend that kind of money on the quality of shirts that LTT is selling? Of course not, because other people will buy them.

Again, some of those are nowhere near this book, like seriously. This is just beyond compare. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Again, some of those are nowhere near this book, like seriously. This is just beyond compare. 

But it's not. 

Hyperbeast H440 -- $200 for a case with a disgusting skin that normally costs $100~. 

Huwaei Mate 9 Designed by Porsche -- 1400€ for a phone that normally costs about half that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

But it's not. 

Hyperbeast H440 -- $200 for a case with a disgusting skin that normally costs $100~. 

Huwaei Mate 9 Designed by Porsche -- 1400€ for a phone that normally costs about half that. 

But those have original ones that make complete sense and for way less price. Yes it's ugly skin that can be done cheaper and better. And There's a Huawaei Mate 9 Pro but really. Don't try to justify this book. Period.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But those have original ones that make complete sense and for way less price. Yes it's ugly skin that can be done cheaper and better. And There's a Huawaei Mate 9 Pro but really. Don't try to justify this book. Period.

No one is forcing you to buy this book. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't buy it. It's the same thing. If you want to bitch about this book, then there are a lot of other products out there, from many other companies, that I expect an equal level of asinine hate towards.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Masada02 said:

they have billions of dollars just sitting around.

Thats the problem. 

They aren't innovating. 

Just sitting on ass, while all the slaves buy what ever they release. 

its being marketed as a coffee table book. a piece of "art". thats the only way I can see them justifying the price. Give it a few decades we'll be seeing copies hidden in the book bins at goodwill.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

No one is forcing you to buy this book. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't buy it. It's the same thing. If you want to bitch about this book, then there are a lot of other products out there from many other companies that I expect an equal level of asinine hate towards.

It's not the point that someone is/isn't forcing buyers...

You generalize too much. Cause there are ass products, complete shit, and they're marketed to complete morons. And you not agree?
But this is a book, and to show products, simple. I'd go say that for such, even though it's not art one, it's a premium thing for those that want for higher price, but it's well beyond meaningful to call it even a premium addition for price they ask.

If i was tempted to buy this, does that mean im brain dead xD?

I love artbooks, so i suppose its normal for me to be impressed at this :/.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I went to the MOMA (museum of modern art) one year, and on exhibition was a T8 hanging diagonally on a wall. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" art. Now you can argue that a fluorescent fixture hanging diagonally on a wall isn't art (and I'd personally agree), but clearly the curator of the museum, who is far more knowledge than either you or I, thought it was. 

so the micro center catalog must be the pinnacle of art with so many devices and products pictured dam

Apple...

Esn6dXv.gif

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Out of the 450 pages, this piece of hardware will probably not be in it.

MS16KRAMCARD.jpg

The Microsoft Z80 Card, also known as the Softcard, was the first Co-processor peripheral card available for the Apple II. The card was based on Zilog's popular Z80 microprocessor, and offered execution speeds of up to 4 MHz. The card had a quick market uptake, and it was not long before the Apple II user community were taking advantage of the large business CP/M software library available to the Z80 processor. Many advanced applications were available in the C/PM domain that did not exist at the time in the Apple software libraries. Titles such as MicroPro's WordStar wordprocessor, as well as Spell Star, Zardax and dBase were all able to be used on the Apple II. As the demand grew for Z80 Co-processors, other vendors came onto the market; most copied Microsoft's Softcard design. Clone companies were quick to start selling identical copies of the Microsoft softcard, as well as integrating the popular Z80 softcard direct onto the main board. Unitron's 2200 Apple clone shipped with both the Z80 and 6502 as a standard "Dual processor" machine.

And here is something else, that's interesting.

Spoiler

DualCARD.JPG

http://www.applelogic.org/PeripheralCards.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

Running out of Christmas ideas for that diehard Apple fan in your life? Well, how about a $299 coffee table book filled with 450 photographs of Apple products. The iPhone-maker unveiled just such a tome today, announcing that the book will go on sale tomorrow at Apple.com and in select Apple retail stores. It’s a hardcover edition, bound in linen, and is available in two sizes: $199 for a smaller 10.20" x 12.75" version, and $299 for a larger 13" x 16.25" edition. The book is simply titled Designed by Apple in California — a name that somehow manages to be both humble and incredibly pretentious at the same time.

I feel like whoever wrote this had to stop at some point to roll on the floor laughing at how much of a joke it is

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's not the point that someone is/isn't forcing buyers...

You generalize too much. Cause there are ass products, complete shit, and they're marketed to complete morons. And you not agree?
But this is a book, and to show products, simple. I'd go say that for such, even though it's not art one, it's a premium thing for those that want for higher price, but it's well beyond meaningful to call it even a premium addition for price they ask.

Why are you so damn offended that this thing exists? You clearly aren't the target market for it. Most people aren't their target market. A handful of people will like this kind of book and will buy it. They will be happy with it (most likely) and feel their money was well spent. It's capitalism. Companies sell what they think they can make money off of at the price they believe people will pay. There is no reason to get mad about it existing. It doesn't harm you or anyone else in any way. Personally, if it had detailed photos going into all of the design of these products along with notes from the designers talking about how they came to the current design and also showed off early prototypes I might actually be really interested in it (though probably not for $300). I love learning about the how of products and Apple does make some of the best looking electronic devices out there, so a deep dive into that process would catch my attention.

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

those are to teach you architecture and are well thought out by an architect this is just some random pictures of electronics

Nope, they're not. They're literally photos and floor plans of his houses. 

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Which ones? 

Frank Lloyd Wright! Jesus. I was thinking of Andrew Lloyd Webber as well. 

13 hours ago, RKRiley said:

2000% profit 

Such a small ROI must have been difficult to pitch to the Apple board of directors. Risky product this.... 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

$300 is cheap when you consider that there are photo books out there that costs thousands.

Sebastião Salgado's Genesis collectors edition costs €3000

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02613/facts.sebastio_salgado_genesis.htm

Henri Cartier Bresson and Henri Matisse's Decisive Moment can be as expensive as $9200

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17672943187&searchurl=sortby%3D1%26tn%3Ddecisive%2Bmoment%26an%3Dcartier-bresson

Robert Frank's Les Américains costs around $75000 with a cheaper edition costing $750.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=16070769767&searchurl=yrh%3D1958%26x%3D36%26yrl%3D1958%26y%3D12%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sts%3Dt%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D1%26tn%3DLes%2BAm%E9ricains%26an%3DRobert%2BFrank

Would I buy any of those books, including the $300 book from Apple? Probably not, only because they are expensive. If they cost a lot less, most likely I will be buying one.  I'm willing to spend up to $150 on the Apple book, will see in the future if I can get a second hand copy for such a price.

Am I intrigued by those books?  Yes.  I'm a tog, and I love to see works by other togs.

The photos inside that book from Apple are shot by photographer Andrew Zuckerman, not some run-off-the-mill tog.  Knowing the style of photos he shoots, I can see why he was picked to be the photographer for the photos in this book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Zuckerman

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

The OP instead of quoting The Verge's article, should've quote Apple's article instead.

The products in this book are the result of a profoundly close collaboration between many different groups. Shot by photographer Andrew Zuckerman in a deliberately spare style, the book’s 450 images illustrate Apple’s design process as well as its finished products.

“Designed by Apple in California” is available in two sizes and printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink. This linen-bound, hardcover volume was developed over an eight-year period. It is published by Apple.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 hours ago, zMeul said:

and it will all be white pages

I fucking invented the color: white. As well as minimAluminiumalism. If you guys keep pissing me off, the next iphone won't even have a charging port. SCMQWiLj_400x400.jpgScreen Shot 2016-11-16 at 1.21.59 PM.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.