Apple releases $300 book containing 450 photos of Apple products

2 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Art is purely subjective so its hard to put a value on it in the first place. Hell, have you seen those plain white paintings that sold for something close to 100 million dollars? Art doesn't make sense.

you can put a value on it if you know what good art is. which i admit i dont know because i dont study art but i do know that taking pictures of devices with nothing else is not art. or else i can take pictures of my laptop against a white background and charge 20 dollars for the pictures

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Ah, guys... This is an artwork book or design book, as far as these things go that's pretty reasonable. I've got architecture books for Andrew Lloyd Wright that were a lot more expensive than this...

those are to teach you architecture and are well thought out by an architect this is just some random pictures of electronics

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

you can put a value on it if you know what good art is. which i admit i dont know because i dont study art but i do know that taking pictures of devices with nothing else is not art. or else i can take pictures of my laptop against a white background and charge 20 dollars for the pictures

You can do that, there's nothing stopping you. Have you seen what constitutes as "modern art"? My point here is that absolutely anything can be art, there is no limit to what art can be. Therefore Apple's (not so great) book is absolutely art. And the value of "art" is purely in the eye of the beholder. While I personally wouldn't pay $300 for a book, I guarantee that someone else will; and in their mind they will own a $300 piece of art.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

5 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

"Actually pretty good value" 

- First year university students 

worth 50 cents after 2 years when you return it 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

You can do that, there's nothing stopping you. Have you seen what constitutes as "modern art"? My point here is that absolutely anything can be art, there is no limit to what art can be. Therefore Apple's (not so great) book is absolutely art. And the value of "art" is purely in the eye of the beholder. While I personally wouldn't pay $300 for a book, I guarantee that someone else will; and in their mind they will own a $300 piece of art.

ok anything can be art but there is good art and bad art. normally i dont know what is good art or bad art because i dont study art but i can tell that this isnt good art because you can find pictures like this in a micro center catalog paper and i dont see anyone arguing that that is art and is worth hundreds

I personally find $300 for a picture book outrageous, but obviously it wasn't catered to me. It's not like Apple is forcing this book on people, they are simply offering it to those that want to buy a copy.

I don't see anything at all wrong with this offering because it comes down to the consumers choice about whether or not they want the book. Seriously, it's not like they are forcing you to buy it. If you don't want it, don't get it. It's really not that hard.

That being said I found it amusing that Apple is selling a book with the same profit margins as their laptops!

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

If it had more detail on the design process (early sketches and prototypes, etc), in addition to the final showcase pictures, I could actually see this being worth a decent chunk of money.  It would then also be much longer, but it would be more interesting from an industrial design point of view.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

35 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

ok anything can be art but there is good art and bad art. normally i dont know what is good art or bad art because i dont study art but i can tell that this isnt good art because you can find pictures like this in a micro center catalog paper and i dont see anyone arguing that that is art and is worth hundreds

I went to the MOMA (museum of modern art) one year, and on exhibition was a T8 hanging diagonally on a wall. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" art. Now you can argue that a fluorescent fixture hanging diagonally on a wall isn't art (and I'd personally agree), but clearly the curator of the museum, who is far more knowledge than either you or I, thought it was. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Buyers will just confirm how people are stupid as fuck in general.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

Buyers will just confirm how people are stupid as fuck in general.

And stupid comments like this will just confirm how closed-minded some people are. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Wait, is it literally just a picutre book?

Fuckin mental

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

6 hours ago, MrE said:

Is it expensive, yes, would I buy it, no .. I don't care for books.
However, the price is not as bad (still expensive sure) as you guys circle jerk about.

They are catering to the same people who would pay a few 100 usd on books of art and what not.

Now I am not saying that means their book is art, but merely that the market is clearly not you but that expensive books containing just picture is a thing...

EDIT: looking into this thing further, it does look like it is high quality paper and printing. Those things are not as cheap as you might think (depending on the GSM, coating etc.). That is, if it is high quality material etc. I did not spend enough time to dig into this... because frankly .. its a book.

EDIT 2: Just to be clear, in case that somehow was not obvious already. 300 USD for a book with picture, from a tech company, sure that is in my opinion expensive. I would never and could never justify such a purchase. But some people can and will, because they put value into these in ways some/most of us dont.
Why does some paintings sell for stupid money? Because for some people they have that value. Why would anyone buy this book? Because some people think it's worth the money.

Instead of bashing anything (in this case apple) which does not pose a certain value to you, it does not mean that is how everyone should or does think. Instead, try to understand the reasoning (or insanity in some cases) behind it. Don't fall victim to confirmation bias and circle jerking.

ByFacoMIcAA2roX.png:large

high quality art printing does not cost that much, my dad is an artist and can teach any art subject on an university. my parents their home is literally filled with art books and none of the picture ones costs 300 dollar, at most 200 and that one is literally 150 pages. this literally is for pseudo art collectors.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

at most 200 and that one is literally 150 pages.

This one is 450 pages (presumably anyway -- each preview seems to show one picture per page and there are 450 pictures).

Also, the smaller one (10"x13") is $200. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

This one is 450 pages (presumably anyway -- each preview seems to show one picture per page and there are 450 pictures).

i meant physical pieces of paper, and that one is way smaller ;) its a2 format.

I mean, it does have a lot of art pages, but the thing is, it doesnt show concept art nor the creation process of these devices (something really cool they implemented before), like the Apple Watch edition booklets show (Im assuming this, since none of us have an official PDF of the whole book, which shouldnt be happening either, because Apple). Know what would make it worth it?

If it came in an Apple carrying leather bag, a 100$/€/£ gift card for usage in Apple store and the actual hard shell of the book was made of genuine leather, signed by the authors and a velure page separating strip, then totally worth it :P

Groomlake Authority

35 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And stupid comments like this will just confirm how closed-minded some people are. 

You must be joking? So you will buy that? You're definitely open minded for companies sell you shit, and make you pay. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Ah, guys... This is an artwork book or design book, as far as these things go that's pretty reasonable. I've got architecture books for Andrew Lloyd Wright that were a lot more expensive than this...

Which ones? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

You must be joking? So you will buy that? You're definitely open minded for companies sell you shit, and make you pay. 

No, I won't buy it. But that doesn't mean someone else isn't willing to. No one is forcing anyone to buy this. But if someone wants to buy it, then that is there CHOICE. 

I also would never buy an E-Class Mercedes. Does that mean that Mercedes should stop making them? After all, the E-class is a pretty bad car considering the cost and that there are far better options in that price range...... Or how about all the "Designed by Porsche" products? Should those not be sold either? There is nothing wrong with producing a product that someone is willing to pay for.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

G4 Cubes were so cool i remember a teacher got one brand new in high school man it was fast as. but that was really before apple shoved its own head up its arse because $299US for a Book is outrageous

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, I won't buy it. But that doesn't mean someone else isn't willing to. No one is forcing anyone to buy this. But if someone wants to buy it, then that is there CHOICE. 

I also would never buy an E-Class Mercedes. Does that mean that Mercedes should stop making them? After all, the E-class is a pretty bad car considering the cost and that there are far better options in that price range...... Or how about all the "Designed by Porsche" products? Should those not be sold either? There is nothing wrong with producing a product that someone is willing to pay for.

Wow, is that your argument really? Because it's totally comparable, be it to something else or "someone else will buy it", try harder, and cut the bullshit with "choice" garbage everyone says everywhere cause they can't say anything meaningful and try to defend something that makes no sense just for the sake of it.

"also documents the materials and techniques used by Apple’s design team over two decades of innovation."

Is this theyr way of saying they explain how its made :/? Oh damn, sorry about that then .-.

Groomlake Authority

I've got to say the price is too high imo, I don't find the argument that it is justifiable because it has a lot of professional photos to hold water. Mainly because I've bought books with high quality professional photos, like Meggs' History of Graphic Design, 6th Edition, which costs a lot less but has more than 1,400 high quality pictures. Smaller pictures than Apple pictures yes, but a lot more pictures with a lot more pages.

But I am not surprised about the price to be honest. To be frank I know 1 or 2 people that might actually buy it. -_-

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Yeah while I agree it's a ridiculous product, I recommend anyone complaining about the price looks at some of the photography books on Amazon. Stuff for collectors isn't cheap.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W