Apple releases $300 book containing 450 photos of Apple products

On April 1, 1976 two men named Steve started a company in Cupertino, California

No, it wasn't an April's fool joke, it was the day one of the most valuable and influential companies was founded

Well, the very company decided to release a coffee table book "Designed by Apple in California"

Designed_by_Apple_in_California_5.jpg

Running out of Christmas ideas for that diehard Apple fan in your life? Well, how about a $299 coffee table book filled with 450 photographs of Apple products. The iPhone-maker unveiled just such a tome today, announcing that the book will go on sale tomorrow at Apple.com and in select Apple retail stores. It’s a hardcover edition, bound in linen, and is available in two sizes: $199 for a smaller 10.20" x 12.75" version, and $299 for a larger 13" x 16.25" edition. The book is simply titled Designed by Apple in California — a name that somehow manages to be both humble and incredibly pretentious at the same time.

designed-by-apple-in-california-3.jpg?w=1029

Apple is no doubt one of the most recognizable companies in the world, a company that redefined decades of design and technology albeit at sometimes outrageous prices

This table book is no exception from their formula, and it seems to be true with the price as well

I personally have some gripes with the company but I can never deny their success and influence on the world 

No Dongles Included

Sources: Apple, The Verge

How can a book be that expensive lmao.

They must be making about 2000% profit on that thing

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

they just applied Apples typical Profit margins 

$300? for something that we could print for $10 or google for free? oh right, apple tax.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Selling apple books $50 each, contains 450(not the same as this book) pictures.

pm for info

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, tlink said:

i mean they have to get their R&D money back so the price is completely justified, and a company needs additional funds to reinvest. capitalism at its finest.

correction, corporatism at its finest, no self respecting capitalist would be so outrageous

3 minutes ago, Skircher5 said:

correction, corporatism at its finest, no self respecting capitalist would be so outrageous

those 2 are not mutually exclusive. corporatism and capitalism function exactly like intended together. 

See final edit, I am done.

Is it expensive, yes, would I buy it, no .. I don't care for books.
However, the price is not as bad (still expensive sure) as you guys circle jerk about.

They are catering to the same people who would pay a few 100 usd on books of art and what not.

Now I am not saying that means their book is art, but merely that the market is clearly not you but that expensive books containing just picture is a thing...

EDIT: looking into this thing further, it does look like it is high quality paper and printing. Those things are not as cheap as you might think (depending on the GSM, coating etc.). That is, if it is high quality material etc. I did not spend enough time to dig into this... because frankly .. its a book.

EDIT 2: Just to be clear, in case that somehow was not obvious already. 300 USD for a book with picture, from a tech company, sure that is in my opinion expensive. I would never and could never justify such a purchase. But some people can and will, because they put value into these in ways some/most of us dont.
Why does some paintings sell for stupid money? Because for some people they have that value. Why would anyone buy this book? Because some people think it's worth the money.

Instead of bashing anything (in this case apple) which does not pose a certain value to you, it does not mean that is how everyone should or does think. Instead, try to understand the reasoning (or insanity in some cases) behind it. Don't fall victim to confirmation bias and circle jerking.

EDIT 3: Examples of "similar" books, try look up books of car manufacturers, like Aston martin or ferrari, they are (in the UK) around 100 GBP or ~125 USD each. Long way from 300, absolutely, but its pretty much the same thing (in terms of the type of product). Just saying there are books out there with a high price tags, consisting only of pictures of products. 300 is a lot, absolutely, at least in our opinion (seems to be the general consensus in these comments),  but not as stupid as many in this comment section make it out to be.

Final Edit: seems like trying to apply simply reasoning for why it might be priced where it is and why people might be buying this means I am trying to depending the high price. You know who you are, did you even read what I wrote, like really? There is a massive difference between eg. and home epson printer and a higher printing process. never said the price wasn't high, nor saying I didn't find it expensive. I merely try bridge the apparent massive gap in understanding at least to some degree why it might be priced like that and why some people would buy it - this would be for any such item (in this case a book, and from apple). How many times do I really need to point this out? I am done.

The below picture really resonate strongly in this community..

ByFacoMIcAA2roX.png:large

Wow, just, wow.  This seems like a whole new level of narcissism, even for Apple.  Do they really think people will pay $300 just for the great privilege of witnessing their glorious products? xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Imagine apple made a dictionary. It would cost about the same as a macbook pro.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Imagine apple made a dictionary. It would cost about the same as a macbook pro.

*Opens dictionary

*goes to letter D

*scans page

Dongle - an object that is required to enjoy any of our products

*laughs

*goes to the letter P

*scans page

Pro - a word required to sell a more decent albeit more expensive product

*laughs

*goes to H

*scans page for the word Headphone Jack

*fails to find word

*laughs 

12 minutes ago, MrE said:

Is it expensive, yes, would I buy it, no .. I don't care for books.
However, the price is not as bad (still expensive sure) as you guys circle jerk about.

They are catering to the same people who would pay a few 100 usd on books of art and what not.

Now I am not saying that means their book is art, but merely that the market is clearly not you but that expensive books containing just picture is a thing...

EDIT: looking into this thing further, it does look like it is high quality paper and printing. Those things are not as cheap as you might think. That is, if it is high quality material etc. I did not spend enough time to dig into this... because frankly .. its a book.

Stop ass kissing.

Its expensive for a book.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What in the actual price!? Apple has gone nuts beyond belief!

Does the book have 22K gold letters embossed or sometin .-.?

apple-on-open-book.jpg (2121×1414)

Groomlake Authority

32 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Nah, large paperback books are actually quite expensive, it's probably closer to 100-120% margin.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was waiting for someone to post this so I could say that I think it's stupid.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Where's the rose gold cover option? It better come with a Milanese bookmark that magnetically clasps to the pages so it won't fall out if you hold the book with the open side down

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

300 dollars for an artbook of appleproducts.

well can't say i saw that comming(the artbook that is, the price is no suprice).

Here is hoping it commes with a 300dollar voucher for a new app,e product of choice

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

" We've meticulously designed the new book in such a way that, To see the next picture, You just simply swipe the page with your finger, similar to a force touch, just like you'd do on an iPhone or an iPad "   - Jonathan Ive (Apple Chief Design Officer)

12164204.jpg

Details separate people.