Win7 and 8.1 to get cumulative updates – you no longer control your Win7 or 8.1 machine

jagdtigger
44 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You sure about that? Updating was what caused my PC to become infected with ads, and spyware, making me vulnerable to having my data taken, and is what caused me to lose control over my app settings, and it also locked me out of various basic OS controls. The only way to get rid of all the problems was with a clean installation of Windows 7 pre-Aug 2015.

You might want to blame that on yourself, not Microsoft.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

15 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

I'm also not even going to read the rest of the comments here. You guys are kinda weird, why do you guys make a positive thing into a negative thing just because you don't like Microsoft?? This is a perfect solution to the slow Windows Update that's bugging people who use older versions of Windows. A shame that people have to put on a tinfoil hat for everything that a big company does.

Of course not, we jost do not like that MS hides PUP in their updates(telemetry, GWX, and who knows what). And since its cumulative there is no way to dodge the bullet...

28 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

This is a good thing, although a better solution would be to ditch those old OS' entirely and go for Windows 10.

Windows 10 is firstly a data-leech and ad platform, not an OS.

20 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

You might want to blame that on yourself, not Microsoft.

But Microsoft made the program that did all those things to my PC. And I would take responsibility for installing Windows 10, if I had actually installed it. Instead, it infected my Windows 7 installation and changed the Windows Update settings to download and install the Windows 10 upgrade (despite that I had automatic updates disabled). So, that's on Microsoft. But, I did do a clean installation of Win 10 afterwards.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I, like many in this thread, only run Windows for games. I truly wish that Linux will get better for gaming, but it is not the priority for developers (game or Linux), nor the average user. Most people don't care about this stuff guys. Most people don't worry about security or privacy or care enough to figure out how their OS is screwing them.

Maybe Vulkan API will draw some big names to Linux. Maybe AMD will stop sucking at drivers and I can move to Linux full time...

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

And if you do it, here's a nice and friendly manual for everything linux related

https://linuxjourney.com

Holy shit I didn't even know about this. This is probably the most useful URL I will find this month. Thank you so much!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Holy shit I didn't even know about this. This is probably the most useful URL I will find this month. Thank you so much!

no problem, just sharing what helped me in the first place

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

SOURCE:

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-and-8-1-to-get-cumulative-updates

In other words MS wont tell us a thing about what is in a specific update and we wont have a choice what we install. Its all or nothing... Most of my toughts right now wouldnt pass the profanity filter but i try and moderate myself.  Call me a paranoid, tinfoil hatter or whatever but i dont like this. MS has something in mind and its not a good thing(not for us at least)...

MS have recently spammed me with different surveys about Windows 10 adoption, have I done it, why not, etc.

So my guess is: they are taking everything we don't like about Windows 10 and they just don't want to remove, and exporting it to older windows versions until they lose all their advantages over 10. I mean, they won't make a Win 10 version that respects privacy or let's you in full control of your PC (just like Google or Apple won't, it's just the nature of the business these days), but if they can take privacy and full control away from Win 7 users, what would be our reason not to migrate?

16 hours ago, Energycore said:

There are distros that are easier to use than Windows. It's the magic of an open source kernel.

But if its open source kernel, doesn't it mean ANYONE can tweak it and make it spyware? I am not very familiar with Linus, only used it with one of my projects, so correct me if I am wrong. Or because its open source, developers tend to not do the spying shit, so ppl trust them and they gain market trust?

I am guess this is because win 7/8.1 are moving into their final support stages, and this is just a streamlined way for them to deliver updates.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Just now, Devin92 said:

But if its open source kernel, doesn't it mean ANYONE can tweak it and make it spyware? I am not very familiar with Linus, only used it with one of my projects, so correct me if I am wrong. Or because its open source, developers tend to not do the spying shit, so ppl trust them and they gain market trust?

It does, but just like you can trust say, Apple, to not turn OSX into spyware, many distros are made by people who have been trustworthy throughout the years, and if a distro has spyware in it, you have the option of both calling the dev out, and turning to a different distro. This is not the case on, say Apple's walled garden environment, or on Windows if things continue down the same path.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

18 hours ago, kirashi said:

While I can't imagine users would be too pleased with forced installs of software they don't intend to use (I'm looking at you, 3D Builder app), I do have to congratulate Microsoft on the possibility of forcing Windows 7 users to actually install the important updates. As a computer technician, nothing is more frustrating than going to a clients house only to find out they "know they should be doing updates but <insert excuse for not installing them here>."

The problem is that you forget they are your clients, not users in the network you are sysadmin and overlord of. It is their right to choose what, how, and when to do something on their computers, it is their right to run "I_am_a_virus.exe" because it came as an attachment in the email of some wealthy African warlord with an interesting business proposition. It is their right to screw up their systems and, you know what? As a technician you get to make a living out of their screwups. 

I don't want to hear a doctor telling me that he's happy about apparel companies being able to force me to wear scarves, because he's frustrated about treating my colds, which he's charging me for.

2 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

I am guess this is because win 7/8.1 are moving into their final support stages, and this is just a streamlined way for them to deliver updates.

I don't see how this is more streamlined, or easier for them or for the consumer.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

If I have to install Windows anyway what the hell is the point of installing Linux in the first place? I have zero interest in dual-booting or booting up a VM to play games and if those VM solutions require me to buy a program in order to have the same functionality I already do with a Windows install I'm even less interested.

You do not have to buy anything. The point is to use windows just for gaming. Maybe you need it for other stuff too but there are many people that use windows because there are not many games on linux or mac os. 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Just disable your windows update service and problem solved.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you don't keep your PC up to date then you lose support for that device. You must REMAIN up to date throughout the product's lifecycle.

Their "support" was making things worse and less compatible rather than better and more compatible, so they can keep it, also I can reinstall my own software if I run into an issue, microsoft isn't very useful in terms of solving problems you bring up to them, they never have been but at least before they weren't building an ecosystem, some people don't want to be a product they'd rather buy a product.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

22 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

As I've said before, you must REMAIN up to date (always have the newest update) to be supported on Windows.

Ah, but if you run a dedicated antivirus, what stops you from deferring the updates for a month, and updating at a later date? Or do you mean the various security holes in windows itself? 

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

6 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Ah, but if you run a dedicated antivirus, what stops you from deferring the updates for a month, and updating at a later date? Or do you mean the various security holes in windows itself? 

Security holes which for the large part remain unpatched/in wait for some one to exploit them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Their "support" was making things worse and less compatible rather than better and more compatible, so they can keep it, also I can reinstall my own software if I run into an issue, microsoft isn't very useful in terms of solving problems you bring up to them, they never have been but at least before they weren't building an ecosystem, some people don't want to be a product they'd rather buy a product.

You're quite funny. Windows 10 users are not the product. They are users. They are encouraged to use products such as the Windows Store, Bing, Cortana, Office and Skype.

And with Windows 10, you are buying a product.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're quite funny. Windows 10 users are not the product. They are users. They are encouraged to use products such as the Windows Store, Bing, Cortana, Office and Skype.

You are the funny in reality i think, users not the product?

Then why the forced and blatant telemtry? Or the ""recommended"" apps(<--which are ads in reality)? What about shoving down cortana on people's throats when they dont want it? Or what about the "accidental" reset of the tweaks that meant to disable stuff we dont want? And why  the hell a big update reinstalls the preinstalled crap that i deleted because i dont need them and without my permission?

Face it, the win10 userbase become a product and because of the forced updates MS does what he wants... I dont need that on my PC thats why i use win7 and thats why i will disable win update. Ill just use linux for browsing and other misk stuff and use windows for games, with this not being updated is not an issue :D .

Edited by jagdtigger

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You are the funny in reality i think, users not the product?

Then why the forced and blatant telemtry?

I don't think you understand what "Telemetry" means.

Telemetry means information about the hardware on your PC (very useful for game devs, app devs and Windows devs to know how devices with certain specs perform), performance (E.g is the UI responsive and fluid, is something hogging the CPU etc), crash statistics (E.g. did the News App install incorrectly or does the calculator freeze?) and what parts of Windows you use most often (So the Windows devs can figure out what should be a priority to improve or at least consider improving).

Or the ""recommended"" apps(<--which are ads in reality)? What about shoving down cortana on people's throats when they dont want it?

Some of these apps are not exactly pleasant to deal with. I'm not sure how aware the Windows Team is of what 3rd party apps get installed by default. This is probably the marketing or sales department organizing a deal with another company without the knowledge of the Windows Team.

Google shoves Google Now down Android users throats  and yet nobody seems to complain. Cortana is optional. It is hard to avoid because they want people to use it. There are very few down sides to using Cortana.

Or what about the "accidental" reset of the tweaks that meant to disable stuff we dont want?

it was accidental. They had a bug where it was using the default Windows settings instead of the user's settings.

And why  the hell a big update reinstalls the preinstalled crap that i deleted because i dont need them and without my permission?

It's just using the default installation stuff for updating on major Windows 10 updates. You are effectively using a new OS every time Windows 10 is updated on a large scale.

The "Anniversary Update" is a new OS. Windows 10 installs it as if it were a new OS.

Face it, the win10 userbase become a product and because of the forced updates MS does what he wants..

Double Standard are fucking stupid

You let Google shove their Google Services down your throat on Android phones. But let's be real, what Google is doing is worse than what Microsoft is doing.

. I dont need that on my PC thats why i use win7 and thats why i will disable win update.

So security and new features are not things you value in an OS?

Ill just use linux for browsing and other misk stuff and use windows for games, with this not being updated is not an issue :D .

Disabling updates means that if you ever encounter an error it cannot be fixed by Microsoft. You are vulnerable to any exploits, bugs, security flaws or issues with Windows 7.

Also, Double Standard. Either use Windows all the time or use it none of the time. use it for gaming and everything you do or don't use it at all. Nobody is forcing you to use Windows.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 hours ago, Energycore said:

I don't see how this is more streamlined, or easier for them or for the consumer.

It's easier for people who have to maintain laptops. Like in IT departments or system admins or technicians.

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Your are buying as in "upgrade today for free daily reminder" kind of buying?

When the product is free, you are the product. It's been Google's business model for ages, and MS jumped on the wagon.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

IGoogle shoves Google Now down Android users throats  and yet nobody seems to complain. Cortana is optional. It is hard to avoid because they want people to use it. There are very few down sides to using Cortana.

it was accidental. They had a bug where it was using the default Windows settings instead of the user's settings.

It's just using the default installation stuff for updating on major Windows 10 updates. You are effectively using a new OS every time Windows 10 is updated on a large scale.

The "Anniversary Update" is a new OS. Windows 10 installs it as if it were a new OS.

Double Standard are fucking stupid

You let Google shove their Google Services down your throat on Android phones. But let's be real, what Google is doing is worse than what Microsoft is doing.

Which double standard? It's the same standard: Goolge is terrible, and by copying Google, MS is terrible, simple as that. "Nobody seems to complain"?? Strawmaning a bit, are we? Is that the best argument to defend the shite MS is trying to force on us, "everyone else is doing it so suck it up"?

To be honest, it's not really the Win 10 critiques what keep me away from it. Aside from my own pre-release experience as Windows Insider, what puts the nail in the coffin are the Win 10 defenses and promos: if that's the best they can say about it, then it really is as bad as it seems.