Win7 and 8.1 to get cumulative updates – you no longer control your Win7 or 8.1 machine

jagdtigger

From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update.

SOURCE:

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-and-8-1-to-get-cumulative-updates

In other words MS wont tell us a thing about what is in a specific update and we wont have a choice what we install. Its all or nothing... Most of my toughts right now wouldnt pass the profanity filter but i try and moderate myself.  Call me a paranoid, tinfoil hatter or whatever but i dont like this. MS has something in mind and its not a good thing(not for us at least)...

Edited by GoodBytes
Remove tag in title. Not allowed.

thank god i turned off updates a long time ago. i hate when windows updates behind my back. and i still haven't updated my windows 10 machine with the anniversary update. hehe

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

SOURCE:

In other words MS wont tell us a thing about what is in a specific update and we wont have a choice what we install. Its all or nothing... Most of my toughts right now wouldnt pass the profanity filter but i try and moderate myself.  Call me a paranoid, tinfoil hatter or whatever but i dont like this. MS has something in mind and its not a good thing(not for us at least)...

I've read the article 3 times and no where does it say these updates are forced - in Windows 7 I know you can uncheck and hide updates you do not wish to install, so I don't understand.

Also, unless you have access to the source code of something and compile it yourself, you never controlled it in the first place. Windows 95 was never ours to control, same as Windows 10 is not.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I've read the article 3 times and no where does it say these updates are forced - in Windows 7 I know you can uncheck and hide updates you do not wish to install, so I don't understand.

Also, unless you have access to the source code of something and compile it yourself, you never controlled it in the first place. Windows 95 was never ours to control, same as Windows 10 is not.

That is the problem. With this you cant cherry pick updates anymore. You either install the whole pack, or not. But since its cumulative i have a hunch that once you pass(you dont install it) a update pack you cant install the later ones in the future...

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

thank god i turned off updates a long time ago. i hate when windows updates behind my back. and i still haven't updated my windows 10 machine with the anniversary update. hehe

While I see where you're coming from, and I haven't updated my desktop to the Anniversary update (though there are several reasons for that, one being that I've been using Linux since just before the update released), but some of the updates that are released are critical security updates, and not updating means that your computer is at risk of being compromised (and the longer you leave it, the more likely it is that there will be a vulnerability that seriously affects you).

Security updates are effectively mandatory, which means that now all updates are mandatory. There isn't an important update that I have personally ever declined, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable for them to force the updates on people, and the only reason that I can think of for them to do this is that it will help them force people to use things that they would want to decline, such as additional logging or more Windows 10 advertising.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

--SNIP--

... the only reason that I can think of for them to do this is that it will help them force people to use things that they would want to decline, such as additional logging or more Windows 10 advertising.

While I can't imagine users would be too pleased with forced installs of software they don't intend to use (I'm looking at you, 3D Builder app), I do have to congratulate Microsoft on the possibility of forcing Windows 7 users to actually install the important updates. As a computer technician, nothing is more frustrating than going to a clients house only to find out they "know they should be doing updates but <insert excuse for not installing them here>."

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

That is the problem. With this you cant cherry pick updates anymore. You either install the whole pack, or not. But since its cumulative i have a hunch that once you pass(you dont install it) a update pack you cant install the later ones in the future...

" Each month’s rollup will supersede the previous month’s rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on." Right from your source article. As for not being able to pick. So? Neither version is getting new features anymore so the updates will only be security and stability related. If you're concerned about them bricking the install or something you can wait before installing it.

There's nothing "tinfoil hat" about maintaining control over your own system.

M$ has already shown, several times over, that they cannot be trusted. They're both incompetent, and don't have your best interests at heart, only theirs.

But by all means, continue thinking "it can't/won't happen" or "I have nothing to hide". It can, and will eventually happen. and EVERYONE has something to hide from someone else.

Privacy is the glue that holds society together.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Welp, I just upgraded W10 to Anniversary Update and everything works great.
So... great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, Derangel said:

" Each month’s rollup will supersede the previous month’s rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on." Right from your source article. As for not being able to pick. So? Neither version is getting new features anymore so the updates will only be security and stability related. If you're concerned about them bricking the install or something you can wait before installing it.

Features? No, but with this the updates became a "black box" with no way of knowing what is really in side, and you cant avoid them. Its a different method but basically you still forced to install all the updates regardless what they do...

46 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

While I see where you're coming from, and I haven't updated my desktop to the Anniversary update (though there are several reasons for that, one being that I've been using Linux since just before the update released), but some of the updates that are released are critical security updates, and not updating means that your computer is at risk of being compromised (and the longer you leave it, the more likely it is that there will be a vulnerability that seriously affects you).

Security updates are effectively mandatory, which means that now all updates are mandatory. There isn't an important update that I have personally ever declined, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable for them to force the updates on people, and the only reason that I can think of for them to do this is that it will help them force people to use things that they would want to decline, such as additional logging or more Windows 10 advertising.

Ever tried updating Windows on 4GB of RAM (less if you have an APU since it reserves memory)? And on a dual core CPU/dual module APU? Because I can say right now, if Windows Update is doing anything you will lose use of your computer as it will hog both cores/modules and all of the available RAM while also thrashing the HDD or SSD. I had to disable updates on my Grandmother's laptop (which I upgraded from 2 to 4GB RAM, has a 45nm 2GHz dual core Pentium and a new 750GB 7200RPM HDD) as it was literally useless due to Windows Update. She couldn't even use Excel as the delay in typing was around 20-30 seconds.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Features? No, but with this the updates became a "black box" with no way of knowing what is really in side, and you cant avoid them. Its a different method but basically you still forced to install all the updates regardless what they do...

It's been a while since I've used 7 or 8.1 but doesn't MS mention what each update does and maintain support articles on their website that you can look up for info on the updates?

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

It's been a while since I've used 7 or 8.1 but doesn't MS mention what each update does and maintain support articles on their website that you can look up for info on the updates?

No, they decided not to disclose anything. You only get a worthless copy-paste generic description.

Moving to Linux on my desktop was my best choice this year. Do it, too, and you will only have to deal with MS shit on a virtual machine.

linux master race.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

SOURCE:

I'll help you out with your thoughts.

Fuck you, Microsoft. You're getting every time one step closer to making us raid your little piece of shit crib down in silicon valley and put your pathetic little chairmen's heads on burning pikes. You're this close.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Moving to Linux on my desktop was my best choice this year. Do it, too, and you will only have to deal with MS shit on a virtual machine.

And if you do it, here's a nice and friendly manual for everything linux related

https://linuxjourney.com

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

56 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

But we as consumers are getting put into a situation where we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. Update and you're letting MS crawl their spying tentacles slowly into your computer's heart and soul. Don't update and you're vulnerable to new malware.

What do we do when the operating system itself becomes spyware?!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Eh. Linux is still pretty shit for games, which is one of the primary things I use Windows for.

1 minute ago, Kunter said:

Yeah, no. Linux is no use to me at this time. If I weren't a gamer and if I weren't also making games, then I would jump on it. But alas, I am a gamer, I am making games, and I'm also using Adobe Creative Cloud which does not have Linux builds. And no, I'm not using similar software; similar doesn't cut it half the time.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

Eh. Linux is still pretty shit for games, which is one of the primary things I use Windows for.

I'm lucky in that department, Dota2 and CSGO... But yeah, games were the only things that held me back, too. Kind of sad, if more people would use linux we would have more games. And then of course more people would move to linux :D

linux master race.

2 minutes ago, Kunter said:

I'm lucky in that department, Dota2 and CSGO... But yeah, games were the only things that held me back, too. Kind of sad, if more people would use linux we would have more games. And then of course more people would move to linux :D

Which is unlikely to ever happen. Linux is fine for power users or users with good computer knowledge, but for the average consumer and the average PC gamer it simply isn't a viable option.

Just now, Derangel said:

Which is unlikely to ever happen. Linux is fine for power users or users with good computer knowledge, but for the average consumer and the average PC gamer it simply isn't a viable option.

There are distros that are easier to use than Windows. It's the magic of an open source kernel.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Derangel said:

I still have hopes for the "facbook-machine" users. They could kick it off - but only if MS does so much shit that even the average consumer is willing to let go of his habits.

linux master race.