Police "to be" granted power to view your Internet History [UK]

The police are going to be granted access to view the internet history of everyone in the UK. Companies and firms are going to have to by LAW to keep the last 12 months of internet history of everyone using a device (on their network?!). Police would also be able to access specific web addresses visited by customers.

I believe this will be this will be for all individuals as well. At this moment in time the poll stands as this (out of 8000 people): 

5b24dd59d48041f8b74e3ac6dcd7072e.png

I bet some of you are thinking "Why the hell did you vote yes?!!!!". Well, I think they have every right to view it. I have nothing to hide, even if I did I guess there are ways around it such as VPN (unless they have access to that as well). I think it will do good to fight cyber crime and terrorism. Ok yeah, there are risks. People could get that data and leak it, but oh wait... it is my internet history. They might find out that I am looking for local women in my area. (I don't really look, I just clicked on it by mistake  :blink: :unsure:). And there it is also open to abuse (like everything else is). Such as if you could get onto that persons PC/Network then you can spoof all of those and make it look like he is trying to look for unsavory things.

What do you think? I think it will help a lot to tackle crime and will save a lot of time and money with the police and investigation teams. 

Sources:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11964655/Police-to-be-granted-powers-to-view-your-internet-history.html

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-to-be-granted-powers-to-view-your-internet-history/ar-BBmAHxG

EDIT:
http://strawpoll.me/5872169

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Lol my laptop is AES-256 encrypted. 

Yet you could call my isp for a crystal clear picture of my internet history instead. Because I don't normally use a VPN, or feel I need to either. 

Scary 

I mean we already do similar shit in the US with phones without warrants, but still 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If there's a requirement for the police to present a warrant before checking, then there's room for compromise...

My conditions:

• requirement for court issued warrant
  • owner of said internet history must be present during the checking of said history
  • checking of history must be limited to time period stated in warrant

So, there is some poor policeman that has to view my internet histroy? I already feel sorry for the bastard.

And no, I don't think the police has the right to look at anyones internet search history, unless they have a warrant.

Your searches are between you, Google and whoever Google sells it to.

Lastly, just becuase you have nothing to hide now, it doesn't mean that you have nothing to hide in the future.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The nothing to hide argument again is it?

Would be fine if someone was to sit with you at the bathroom everyday because you have nothing to hide? 

Nope!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

i dont trust the police with info like this....having met several police officers there way too unprofessional.

and i feel this will be used to bump figures going after people who dabble in piracy downloading the occasional film/mp3 instead of high level pirates who distribute. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i dont trust the police with info like this....having met several police officers there way too unprofessional.

and i feel this will be used to bump figures going after people who dabble in piracy downloading the occasional film/mp3 instead of high level pirates who distribute. 

not to mention almost any public figure could have his career ruined with their internet history as a weapon, even if it's all legal. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The nothing to hide argument again is it?

Would be fine if someone was to sit with you at the bathroom everyday because you have nothing to hide? 

Nope!

To be honest yeah. I would not mind higher authority. But police... meh. Kind sketchy but whatever, this kind of thing does not bother me.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

not to mention almost any public figure could have his career ruined with their internet history as a weapon, even if it's all legal. 

plebgate.....need i say more

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

@Bittenfleax can you create a poll in this post so we can see what the views of the LTT community are on this?

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

To be honest yeah. I would not mind higher authority. But police... meh. Kind sketchy but whatever, this kind of thing does not bother me.

What really bothers me is that humans are not machines, they won't just do what their told and read only what their supposed to (say terrorist threats). They would also look in whatever they feel like is okay to look in. He reads fanficition lol, why is he using that website?

(No I'm not saying that it's fine for a machine to do that as well, that's for another discussion)/

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

i dont know what laws you guys have over there but in canada if a cop asks to look at your phone or computer you have to give them your pw or you can be arrested

VPN ACTIVATED 

Genuinely going to go and buy one,

What is THE BEST VPN available? anybody? cost is not important

EDIT: - I believe the police should ONLY be able to look at your history if an internet related crime has been committed, or if they need evidence relating to a crime, and only with a warrant

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@Bittenfleax can you create a poll in this post so we can see what the views of the LTT community are on this?

Done  :)

What really bothers me is that humans are not machines, they won't just do what their told and read

That is very true

They're welcome, :) nothing interesting in there, B) keep it up to 6 months in my browser. :huh:  :mellow:

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

People granted the right to tell police to get a warrant or piss off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

People granted the right to tell police to get a warrant or piss off.

You like getting kicked in the teeth? 

Cause in the US that's how you get kicked in the teeth.

For stating your rights. 

muh specs 

All parts black

You like getting kicked in the teeth? 

Cause in the US that's how you get kicked in the teeth.

For stating your rights. 

Well....I don't live in the US, and CCTV works wonders at dissuading them over here. Police in Australia alone don't like being filmed on the job for doing something that is obviously not actually legal, or makes sense. Gotta love the Streisand effect. 

PMSL

Op Ignorant people like you shouldn't be allowed to vote!

I'll just leave this here.

attachicon.gifSnowden.png

Also this is what Australia has just implemented except it's for 2 years instead of 1.

And I'd still tell them to get a warrant or piss off. Straight up its the same as if they barged into my house and started going through everything.

PMSL