Police "to be" granted power to view your Internet History [UK]

I was just reading an update on the BBC news website where Theresa May is trying to defend it and not calling it the Snoopers Charter.

There's this gem of a quote,

Former head of GCHQ Sir David Omand has called for internet firms to be forced by law to keep users' browsing history.

He said such data was not for spying on the public but to see "for example, whether a suspect has downloaded a terrorist manual".

Are you being fucking serious? How specific of an example is that, and how likely is it going to happen?

She was quoted as also saying:

Such data would consist of a basic domain address, and not a full browsing history of pages within that site or search terms entered.

For example, police could see that someone visited www.bbc.co.uk - but not the individual pages they viewed.

I'm sorry, but if they can see you visited a website, they can sure as hell see what part of the website you visited. 

Going back to a post I made earlier in this thread, "how would they track it, an IP does not mean an individual", my question still stands. 

If they ask the ISP for your history, would they be able to trace the IP Address back since its dynamic?

(Yes, they will be able to see it (the IP), but would they be able to trace it back) 
An IP Address, does not mean an individual. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Does this mean they can ask to look at your computer and look at your history or go to your ISP? I thought they could also ready go to your ISP if they have a warrant, does this take that requirement away?

Does this mean they can ask to look at your computer and look at your history or go to your ISP? I thought they could also ready go to your ISP if they have a warrant, does this take that requirement away?

You would laugh if you saw what ISPs actually keep in terms of records of where you browse.  The truth is, they don't; it's a very sparse list of connection and disconnection times with no record of specific pages visited.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i dont know what laws you guys have over there but in canada if a cop asks to look at your phone or computer you have to give them your pw or you can be arrested

um no, they need a warrent.

You having nothing to hide does not mean that there is a right for another to view your history. Are you not a real person? If you're calling it a right of the police to view your history, then you're making yourself property of the police, and your life subject to their determinations. If it is the police's right to decide whether to view your computer activity, then it therefore is not your right to manage your computer activity, and decide whether to open it up to another person.

And if it is not your right to decide regarding those things, then how is it valid for you to give an opinion on this subject matter? By saying it is the police's right to view your history, you're saying you don't possess the right to control your activity and make your own decisions regarding it - therefore, where does your right to have an opinion on the matter come from, since you don't have the experience of knowing what the value of holding rights over your own activity is, since you claim to not have rights over your own activity?

By saying the police have every right, you're saying that you have none, and therefore you are less than a full person. Therefore, your opinion is also of less value than one that comes from a full person, who retains possession of themselves and doesn't whimsically cede themselves into the hands of police, or anyone else.

Having nothing to hide doesn't mean you mandatorily have to prove it. If you really have nothing to hide, then you wouldn't feel as though you needed to make a point of it.

It is true what you said. But I am looking at it from a "this is going to keep people safe" point of view. In 10 - 15 years from now (if I have kids), I want them to be able to go in the garden without some creepy peado shithead creeping on them. This can get rid of the majority of them and put them behind bars. (Well the dumb ones)

This kind of thing does not bother me. Because there is nothing I can do about it. 

And it is not really open to that much abuse. They still need a warrant.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

The police should not be able to view anyone's internet history freely. It doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide or not. It is a violation of everyone's freedom of privacy. Privacy isn't something the government bestows upon you, it is a basic human right. Without some sort of warrant, the police have no right to go snooping about what you have done on the Internet.

this 100%

I do see this thing from both sides, ie, security vs privacy, but I would genuinely give up some of my security in order to maintain privacy 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We'll this is my last post, I am off to live in the woods :ph34r:

Same, time to get like 18 VPN services to route everything through

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't know if this is related: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/476149-police-to-be-granted-power-to-view-your-internet-history-uk

Atleast my comments in that thread are the same as they are to this.

But yes, it's pretty fucked up.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Why is the UK so bonkers on this kind of stuff? They always seem to be the ones pushing the envelope on mass surveillance, right there with the USA. When are people going to stop tolerating the "trust us guys, it's totally to stop terrorism and whatever" excuse?

try getting vpns proff

Why is the UK so bonkers on this kind of stuff? They always seem to be the ones pushing the envelope on mass surveillance, right there with the USA. When are people going to stop tolerating the "trust us guys, it's totally to stop terrorism and whatever" excuse?

sheeps dont think about their pricacy and rights if they hear "protection" or "safety". they just tell you something like. ..."i have nothing to hide" bla bla

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Because the majority of the Brits are idiots who think that if the Labour party comes to power, they'll lose all of their money. This is why they ended up with David Cameron, who is seems to plan to convert the UK into an inhabitable shithole.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Because the majority of the Brits are idiots who think that if the Labour party comes to power, they'll lose all of their money. This is why they ended up with David Cameron, who is seems to plan to convert the UK into an inhabitable shithole.

I thought it was already like that with all of the rain.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is just sad. I remember there was a case in USA with a man looking up a specific bomb on google after a documentary about it aired on tv and the police showed up at his porch... We all know that this is not because of ''terrorism'' a lot more people die from prescription medicine than ''terrorism' not to count car crashes. I'm just afraid that they will try to find incriminating things to push people for their own needs as it doesn't make sense to invest so much money and resource to watch everybody.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

This bloody sucks. Blanket surveillance is not the answer. Targeted yes, then this would be fine, but nationwide blanket surveillance, no. 

Decided it was finally time and bought myself a PIA VPN subscription. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

try getting vpns proff

sheeps dont think about their pricacy and rights if they hear "protection" or "safety". they just tell you something like. ..."i have nothing to hide" bla bla

"I have nothing to hide so they can violate my privacy" is like saying "I have nothing to say so violating my right to Free Speech is fine"

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If this doesn't make you want to Conservative, I don't know what will! /s

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

If this doesn't make you want to Conservative, I don't know what will! /s

They are the ones doing this...

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

They are the ones doing this...

You know that the /S stands for sarcasm, do you?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

"I have nothing to hide so they can violate my privacy" is like saying "I have nothing to say so violating my right to Free Speech is fine"

in germany its just as i said, ask people on the road and 90% tells you they have nothing to hide...

the "democracy" discusses something similar in germany too... storing "internet data" and phone data for 6 months or longer, maybe even locations of your phone

*insert for the glory of satan gif*.... and many people dont "vote" against because they "have nothing to hide..."

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

You know that the /S stands for sarcasm, do you?

I do know what /s means. I just glossed over it, my bad. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Oh boy, more terrorist policies justified by the threat of terrorism.

Yay broken democracy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

For anybody that is curious why this story keeps on popping up. It's all the same bill, aptly nicknamed "the snoopers charter".

This is just the latest incarnation, which the Conservatives are trying to pass now that they have a majority government (previous attempts were blocked by the Lib Dems).

And, I will say it's fucking brazen. They really think the electorate are a bunch of fucking idiots. And I guess they'd be correct, we apparently keep on voting for them.

This is just sad. I remember there was a case in USA with a man looking up a specific bomb on google after a documentary about it aired on tv and the police showed up at his porch... We all know that this is not because of ''terrorism'' a lot more people die from prescription medicine than ''terrorism' not to count car crashes. I'm just afraid that they will try to find incriminating things to push people for their own needs as it doesn't make sense to invest so much money and resource to watch everybody.

If you could find me a source for that I would be grateful, it will be helpful.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Oh boy, more terrorist policies justified by the threat of terrorism.

Yay broken democracy.

I hope it's broken, but sadly that is the way democracy works. The issue is that many are prepared to sell their privacy for pesudo-protection.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide