Police "to be" granted power to view your Internet History [UK]

"Nothing to hide" what a stupid pov. If we dont do something now, soon we will live in 1984. EU politicians are pathetic criminals. 100 Years ago they would have been executed. Along with the US warmongers.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

VPN ACTIVATED

Genuinely going to go and buy one,

What is THE BEST VPN available? anybody? cost is not important

EDIT: - I believe the police should ONLY be able to look at your history if an internet related crime has been committed, or if they need evidence relating to a crime, and only with a warrant

I use Private Internet access for my vpn. It's $35 a year. I've had it for 5 months now and it's been working fantastic, my Internet speeds don't even take a hit when using it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

And I'd still tell them to get a warrant or piss off. Straight up its the same as if they barged into my house and started going through everything.

Yea but with the Australian law they don't need a warrant :/ IDK if it's the same for this since it's the UK though.

"Nothing to hide" what a stupid pov. If we dont do something now, soon we will live in 1984. EU politicians are pathetic criminals. 100 Years ago they would have been executed. Along with the US warmongers.

"Nothing to hide" was used by Hitler, so yeah.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

VPN ACTIVATED 

Genuinely going to go and buy one,

What is THE BEST VPN available? anybody? cost is not important

EDIT: - I believe the police should ONLY be able to look at your history if an internet related crime has been committed, or if they need evidence relating to a crime, and only with a warrant

I don't use a VPN all that much but PIA (Private internet access) is currently the go to paid VPN service at the moment: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I don't use a vpn all that much but PIA (Private internet access) is currently the go to paid VPN service at the moment: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Yeah I saw this, I am seriously considering it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't use a vpn all that much but PIA (Private internet access) is currently the go to paid VPN service at the moment: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

At the very least I'll use the website to find my IP address.

PMSL

Police officer: It's come to our attention that you've been doing naughty things on the internet. We need to look at your history.

Person: Um, Okay? I haven't done anything?

Police Officer: *LOOKS at history* GOD DAMN, WHAT IS THIS? 

Person: Oh, that's Linus, racing dildos, with his friends. oh, trust me, he has other crazy videos. Wanna see them?

Police Offer: NO! I CANNOT TAKE IT!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yeah I saw this, I am seriously considering it

Keep in mind that it's an American company, so they might have been / will be forced to cooperate with the american spy agencies. I'm testing it this month and it's pretty good, so if you can live with the america thing, then it seems like a really good option

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Keep in mind that it's an American company, so they might have been / will be forced to cooperate with the american spy agencies. I'm testing it this month and it's pretty good, so if you can live with the america thing, then it seems like a really good option

I agree, but the point is they keep no data or logs, so even if requested to by law, they could only turn around and say "we do not look at,  keep or store this information so we have no information to hand over"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I agree, but the point is they keep no data or logs, so even if requested to by law, they could only turn around and say "we do not look at,  keep or store this information so we have no information to hand over"

This is the reason why I'll keep PIA. It's a very convenient way to hide the things from your government, that they should have been granted access to in the first place. I just wanted to note the America thing, as some people seem to have a problem with that. 

This is the reason why I'll keep PIA. It's a very convenient way to hide the things from your government, that they should have been granted access to in the first place. I just wanted to note the America thing, as some people seem to have a problem with that. 

yeah I ready about it, I am not from the US so i dunno if their jurisdiction extends to me anyway, but even so I would hope that the fact they do not store information would make it safer

besides, its not a "fix all" solution its just another layer of protection against casual observation, I do not do illegal things, I dont even pirate stuff, its just to stop snooping !!

I guess you could always route one VPN through another or something if you were some sort of cybercriminal 

yeah I ready about it, I am not from the US so i dunno if their jurisdiction extends to me anyway, but even so I would hope that the fact they do not store information would make it safer

besides, its not a "fix all" solution its just another layer of protection against casual observation, I do not do illegal things, I dont even pirate stuff, its just to stop snooping !!

I guess you could always route one VPN through another or something if you were some sort of cybercriminal 

Murcia won't give a shit, they'll just take your data :D

Indeed, the optimal solution would be to run a VPN on your own, but I tried that, and it's just too much of a hassle. Things need to be updated, and you can't  change your country quickly. Not to speak of the user experience.

Bullshit really. The police can't touch my shit. I understand MI6, and support that, but not the police.

Murcia won't give a shit, they'll just take your data :D

Indeed, the optimal solution would be to run a VPN on your own, but I tried that, and it's just too much of a hassle. Things need to be updated, and you can't  change your country quickly. Not to speak of the user experience.

If the VPN stores no data, or uses a large exit node where multiple people share the same IP then there is no information for them to get

or at least no information that relates specifically to me

If the VPN stores no data, or uses a large exit node where multiple people share the same IP then there is no information for them to get

or at least no information that relates specifically to me

Exactly, if the MI6 or the NSA really wanted to fuck you over, then that VPN won't help much. What it will help with, is a stupid government that doesn't realize that internet surveillance doesn't lead to anything other than outrage and lost money. 

Germany recently reintroduced data preservation, How the fuck can a  government, that has literally no idea about anything internet related, assure me that it is able to store such personal data in a secure and safe way? That was the point when I invested in  proper VPN, which also means that I have access to the iPlayer :D

Exactly, if the MI6 or the NSA really wanted to fuck you over, then that VPN won't help much. What it will help with, is a stupid government that doesn't realize that internet surveillance doesn't lead to anything other than outrage and lost money. 

Germany recently reintroduced data preservation, How the fuck can a  government, that has literally no idea about anything internet related, assure me that it is able to store such personal data in a secure and safe way? That was the point when I invested in  proper VPN, which also means that I have access to the iPlayer :D

i dont intend on annoying the NSA  :P

GCHQ are already monitoring our traffic on a global scale; I'm sure MI5 has access to that information for counter-terrorism purposes, I don't see why the regular police should have any power to violate the privacy of civilians without a warrant. The internet-related legislation that's coming through under the Tories is fucking terrifying, especially given that it seems to be coming from laymen who don't understand what they're dealing with. I couldn't believe it when Cameron proposed we outsource internet monitoring/censorship to China.

I don't support the government illegally spying on its citizens but if it's only being used legitimately to stop genuine terror threats I can live with that -- the concern being the potential for abuse. Giving the police the power to instantly see where someone has been (browser-based navigation services), who their friends are, who they speak to and what they choose to do in their leisure time without due cause is totally unjustifiable. If you wanted to assign units to do that sort of reconnaissance in person you'd need a warrant and some serious cause for concern to justify the cost & invasion of privacy; just because it can be done instantly, for free, by forcefully checking a device rather than spying in person doesn't lessen the social implications -- all the more reason why they warrant more respect & consideration now the financial element has been removed.

GCHQ are already monitoring our traffic on a global scale; I'm sure MI5 has access to that information for counter-terrorism purposes, I don't see why the regular police should have any power to violate the privacy of civilians without a warrant. The internet-related legislation that's coming through under the Tories is fucking terrifying, especially given that it seems to be coming from laymen who don't understand what they're dealing with. I couldn't believe it when Cameron proposed we outsource internet monitoring/censorship to China.

I don't support the government illegally spying on its citizens but if it's only being used legitimately to stop genuine terror threats I can live with that -- the concern being the potential for abuse. Giving the police the power to instantly see where someone has been (browser-based navigation services), who their friends are, who they speak to and what they choose to do in their leisure time without due cause is totally unjustifiable. If you wanted to assign units to do that sort of reconnaissance in person you'd need a warrant and some serious cause for concern to justify the cost & invasion of privacy; just because it can be done instantly, for free, by forcefully checking a device rather than spying in person doesn't lessen the social implications -- all the more reason why they warrant more respect & consideration now the financial element has been removed.

Look at it this way, how many legitimate terror plots has the NSA's data collecting stopped? 0

PMSL

Look at it this way, how many legitimate terror plots has the NSA's data collecting stopped? 0

How do you know that?

I think my privacy is worth a lot and that the police shouldn't be allowed to view my internet history, but that remark is just silly. If the NSA stopped some kind of plot why would they tell anyone that? That would only warn terrorists to not use certain things. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

F**k that s**t. Unless they have a warrant, they can go f**k themselves. 

I was contemplating getting one before, but now I am really considering getting a VPN.

Something just came to mind though.

If they ask the ISP for your history, would they be able to trace the IP Address back since its dynamic?

(Yes, they will be able to see it, but would they be able to trace it back) 

An IP Address, does not mean an individual. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

How do you know that?

Their reports.

PMSL

I think my privacy is worth a lot and that the police shouldn't be allowed to view my internet history, but that remark is just silly. If the NSA stopped some kind of plot why would they tell anyone that? That would only warn terrorists to not use certain things. 

They need to prove that the program is working, and what politicians say about its benefits are actually true.

PMSL

America is actually a fine place to have a VPN as you are not required to store any information by law so if the VPN is doing the right thing in the first place this won't be a problem even if the government does look at there servers.

Edit: just saw someone already replied with more or less the same thing lol