[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

Just another entitled person who thinks everything should be free.

Of course it doesn't help that the title is wrong and these conditions are not part of windows 10.

The following products, apps and services are covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, but may not be available in your market.

• Account.microsoft.com
  • Advertising.microsoft.com
  • Bing
  • Bing Apps
  • Bing Desktop
  • Bing Dictionary
  • Bing in the Classroom
  • Bing Input
  • Bing Maps
  • Bing Navigation
  • Bing Reader
  • Bing Rewards
  • Bing Search app
  • Bing Toolbar
  • Bing Torque
  • Bing Translator
  • Bing Webmaster
  • Bing Wikipedia Browser
  • Bing.com
  • Bingplaces.com
  • Choice.microsoft.com
  • Citizen Next
  • Cortana
  • Default Homepage and New Tab Page on Microsoft Edge
  • Device Health App
  • HealthVault
  • Groove
  • Maps App
  • Microsoft account
  • Microsoft Family
  • Microsoft Health
  • Microsoft Translator
  • Microsoft Wallpaper
  • Microsoft XiaoIce
  • MSN Dial Up
  • MSN Explorer
  • MSN Food & Drink
  • MSN Health & Fitness
  • MSN Money
  • MSN News
  • MSN Premium
  • MSN Sports
  • MSN Travel
  • MSN Weather
  • MSN.com
  • Next Lock Screen
  • Office 365 Consumer
  • Office 365 Home
  • Office 365 Personal
  • Office 365 University
  • Office Online
  • Office Store
  • Office Sway
  • Office.com
  • OneDrive
  • OneDrive.com
  • OneNote
  • Onenote.com
  • Outlook.com
  • Picturesque Lock Screen
  • Pix Lock
  • Skype Manager
  • Skype Qik
  • Skype WiFi
  • Skype.com
  • Smart Search
  • Snipp3t
  • Spreadsheet Keyboard
  • Sway.com
  • Translator
  • UrWeather
  • Windows Live Mail
  • Windows Live Writer
  • Windows Movie Maker
  • Windows Photo Gallery
  • Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft
  • Xbox Live
  • Xbox Music
  • Xbox Music Pass
  • Xbox Video

Where else do you find Cortana? 

Oh, and if you use Windows photo gallery you're agreeing to this also.

Interesting for a developer to come to a conclusion like this, but it's understandable since it appears the classification board didn't want it released there. It's only a video game though so to be honest the board is just overreacting

Src https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotline_Miami_2:_Wrong_Number#Rape_depiction_controversy

It's attitudes like that that make me really respect a developer and want to buy their games. Any good, smart developer should see why piracy will and should always be around.

The tenacity of my sentiment is strong, so best of luck modifying my stance. Unless explicit consent, one should not be using product(s) that otherwise should be paid for.

Good for you, hotshot. Have fun on your moral high ground while you get shafted, paying >$50 for shitty games because there's no alternative.

Reminder:

The corporations who want to get rid of piracy are the same ones who want to get rid of YouTube "Let's Play"ers.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Any pirate able to make a crack can get around this.

HTID

• Microsoft XiaoIce

Forget Cortana, WTF is XiaoIce?

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Good for you, hotshot. Have fun on your moral high ground while you get shafted, paying >$50 for shitty games because there's no alternative.

Reminder:

The corporations who want to get rid of piracy are the same ones who want to get rid of YouTube "Let's Play"ers.

I'm a huge advocate of game demos and I truly wish there were more.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I believe counterfeit games here only, in practicality, covers anything that will use their Xbox Live services. It's only fair for a company to block online services coming from those who didn't pay for their games in my opinion.

Remains to be seen though.

*hides pirated copy of Adobe software*

Then you are obviously very ignorant and lazy.

See:

Game Journo's are shit. Youtube is getting worse every day for gamers. Piracy is being choked. Tell me again how in 5 years time, you'll be able to know whether a game is good or not - objectively.

Edit: Oh and it's only a matter of time until game publishers choke user reviews to stop people letting everyone know that their games are shit. Lol.

I'm a huge advocate of game demos and I truly wish there were more.

In my experience, demos are sugared up versions of the actual game. Can you imagine if Ubisoft had demos of Watch Dogs and AC Unity?

Personally, I'd rather be able to play the first 10 minutes of the actual game before I buy it. But we don't have that, so until we do, piracy is the next best thing.

See:

Game Journo's are shit. Youtube is getting worse every day for gamers. Piracy is being choked. Tell me again how in 5 years time, you'll be able to know whether a game is good or not - objectively.

Pewdie Pie.. duh

You don't do anything illegal? Alright so we can put cameras all over your house and track your every movement right? You shouldn't mind, it's not like you break the law anyway!

Way to make an extreme, and completely meaningless connection.

Being morally against pirating software does NOT equate to giving up your personal right of privacy and allowing cameras all over your house.

I mean, how can you even make that jump of logic?

I'm also morally against piracy. If you live in a 1st world nation (Eg: Western Europe or North America) where the average wages and cost of living allow any reasonable person to buy luxury items, such as games, then you should be paying for your software. If you still can't afford it, then you don't need it. There are plenty of FREE alternatives for productivity software, and there are plenty of free or free-to-play games for those less fortunate users who want to play video games.

But that doesn't mean I'm willing to put cameras to the public in my home. No sane person would - whether they support or are against piracy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Pewdie Pie.. duh

Pewdiepie? More like...

PEW PEW B**CH DIE ROTTEN PIE

I stopped watching lets plays on YouTube some time ago anyway. Game devs need to build their games with expandable maps/ability to modify game elements on an individual basis, so the gameplay after an update is fresh and not boring after like a year *coughGTAVcough*

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

This does not apply to windows 10, seriously does no one read the articles anymore?

Here is a list of services those conditions apply to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/?s=ecym#serviceslist

IF you look closely you will see it applies to xbox and windows games and xbocx live,  it is basic DRM, nothing new.

@TehStranger?, can you kindly update the thread with this information provided by mr moose, thank you. To avoid getting people paranoid, I know, people should read a bit more. 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Way to make an extreme, and completely meaningless connection.

Being morally against pirating software does NOT equate to giving up your personal right of privacy and allowing cameras all over your house.

I mean, how can you even make that jump of logic?

I'm also morally against piracy. If you live in a 1st world nation (Eg: Western Europe or North America) where the average wages and cost of living allow any reasonable person to buy luxury items, such as games, then you should be paying for your software. If you still can't afford it, then you don't need it. There are plenty of FREE alternatives for productivity software, and there are plenty of free or free-to-play games for those less fortunate users who want to play video games.

But that doesn't mean I'm willing to put cameras to the public in my home. No sane person would - whether they support or are against piracy.

You missed the point completely...

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Pewdiepie? More like...

PEW PEW B**CH DIE ROTTEN PIE

I stopped watching lets plays on YouTube some time ago anyway. Game devs need to build their games with expandable maps/ability to modify game elements on an individual basis

I'm being sarcastic, but i'm sure you're right on the spelling. I'm too old to watch that spastic i've snorted 15 lines of coke im fucking crazy out of my mind on energy drink and sugar high commentary that the kids eat up on youtube.

I miss demos, they should almost be required imo.

I admit i pirate games mainly to try them out before i buy, if i cant try it i just wont buy it that simple. But un authorized hardware? really? if i want to plug something in that i paid for in to my computer that i paid for i will.

This is completely unnecessary now. Steam offers FULL REFUNDS on every game they sell, worldwide, within 14 days of purchase, or 2 hours of gameplay (whichever comes first), this has been around for several months now.

Buy the game, try it out. If it sucks, you can request the refund via the support section - no need to email support and wait for a response, there's an automated system to get the process started.

There is now literally no reason for someone in a developed nation to pirate a game. You now have the same rights as anyone buying a physical item. Buy it, try it out, keep it if it's good.

If it's a game that requires more than 2 hours of gameplay to determine quality (Say, an MMO), then simply watch someone on YouTube that reviews games - such as AngryJoe or just watch a game streamer on Twitch.

Guess what? It doesn't matter what it is. If Microsoft chooses to say it's "Unauthorized hardware" You're agreeing to them bricking it on your system if you decide to use the services that this policy covers. 

Oh, and from what I read, you can't sue them for it later either.

That unauthorized hardware would only apply to the XBox, not the OS.

See:

Edit: Oh and it's only a matter of time until game publishers choke user reviews to stop people letting everyone know that their games are shit. Lol.

In my experience, demos are sugared up versions of the actual game. Can you imagine if Ubisoft had demos of Watch Dogs and AC Unity?

Personally, I'd rather be able to play the first 10 minutes of the actual game before I buy it. But we don't have that, so until we do, piracy is the next best thing.

See above. You CAN play the first 10 minutes of the actual game - on Steam - any game on Steam.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You missed the point completely...

Perhaps because you failed to make the point in a coherent and concise manner. Could you elaborate or rephrase your "point"? Because your post was most certainly not clear.

@TehStranger?, can you kindly update the thread with this information provided by mr moose, thank you. To avoid getting people paranoid, I know, people should read a bit moreIt cl

I posted what the policy covers. It's clearly not just what mr moose stated. Did you not see the huge list of programs covered under the policy directly at the bottom of the page?

This.If you cant afford a game you shouldnt just pirate it.its like going into a shop with no money and stealing a can of coke.

It's not quite like that though is it, as the shop-owner isn't deprived of a can of coke.

It is like going to a shop, copying down the ingredients of a can of coke, and copying the can of coke at home with sugar and water.

P.S. I don't pirate, since steam/the free market eliminated any real incentive to do so.

See above. You CAN play the first 10 minutes of the actual game - on Steam - any game on Steam.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment; a handful of pirates likely do not have the funds necessary to buy the game to try it. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Perhaps because you failed to make the point in a coherent and concise manner. Could you elaborate or rephrase your "point"? Because your post was most certainly not clear.

I'm not saying piracy is a good thing, I'm saying we shouldn't have it built into our OSes to check for pirated software, which can be related to being under constant surveillance due to a lack of trust

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Well, I'm safe huehuehue

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment; a handful of pirates likely do not have the funds necessary to buy the game to try it. 

And?

I don't see the point.

Yes, they won't be a "lost sale", but I don't buy that argument. Games, like anything else that isn't food, water, and shelter, are a luxury item.

If you can't afford it, you don't need it. As I mentioned, there are plenty of free-to-play or straight up free games for someone who is destitute to play for relaxation. If they cannot afford the game, that is an economic incentive for them to better their lives so that they can afford to play it.

And no, I also do not believe that "Well I'm 12 and can't get a job" counts either. Get mommy or daddy to buy it, or do chores for family/neighbours for money.

This is completely unnecessary now. Steam offers FULL REFUNDS on every game they sell, worldwide, within 14 days of purchase, or 2 hours of gameplay (whichever comes first), this has been around for several months now.

Buy the game, try it out. If it sucks, you can request the refund via the support section - no need to email support and wait for a response, there's an automated system to get the process started.

There is now literally no reason for someone in a developed nation to pirate a game. You now have the same rights as anyone buying a physical item. Buy it, try it out, keep it if it's good.

If it's a game that requires more than 2 hours of gameplay to determine quality (Say, an MMO), then simply watch someone on YouTube that reviews games - such as AngryJoe or just watch a game streamer on Twitch.

That unauthorized hardware would only apply to the XBox, not the OS.

Yeah, sure buddy. You have to buy it first! I'm not paying a single cent until I know what the game is like. Why? Take a look.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/is-it-possible-to-get-a-refund-from-steam-in-australia/

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/553607/valve_sued_by_accc_over_steam_refund_policy_/

Best-case scenario: Sure! You get a refund! Everything is puppies and kisses!

Likely scenario: Lol fuk u m8 u were stupid enuf 2 buy de gaem lololol