[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

How cheap should games be? I remember back in the mid to late 80s NES games cost about $30. Now games cost $60 which is about $30 in inflation adjusted late 1980s dollars despite the fact that games are now multiyear productions with huge development, art, and testing teams as opposed to the old Nintendo games that could be written by a few people in a few months. Nowadays you get a lot of game for your dollar. Old NES games might have 2-4 hours of content. Now you have 100-250 hours of content in a large RPG and even some shooters can have 15 hours of single player content, not to mention the endless multiplayer. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, and then lots of the time if you're patient you can find them cheaper in Steam sales.

it depends on the content, for me gtav, fallout 3 and NV, the witcher series, basically any game that gives me more than 8-10 hours of gameplay and is professionally finished, is worth the full asking price. the less they offer the less they are worth. also games like fifa and f1 games, the games that add little new and are released every year....are worth much less than they are.  really they should be DLC every year.  i want as much for my money as possible, and that isnt being cheap, thats what you should aim for in every thing. thats what happens when you have bills to pay and live on your own.  the more you can save on x the more there is for y.  TBH whenever i see people with @dalekphalm s attitude i just think entitled pratt who has never really been short of money, and i dont mean "in college i only had $10 to my name and i couldnt go drinking" short of money, i mean do i buy food or pay the rent short of money, who do i feed me or my kids short of money.  its easy to condescend to people and tell them "tough go with out" when its not you going without.

Piracy basically is the Hitler of software. It should get the fuck out and stay out. People that support it are imbeciles.

THe hardware thing though? Meh. I can see where they're coming from, but no.

riiiiight. so people who pirate software are the same as a man who ordered the deaths of 11 million people.......yeah clueless much

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

it depends on the content, for me gtav, fallout 3 and NV, the witcher series, basically any game that gives me more than 8-10 hours of gameplay and is professionally finished, is worth the full asking price. the less they offer the less they are worth. also games like fifa and f1 games, the games that add little new and are released every year....are worth much less than they are. really they should be DLC every year. i want as much for my money as possible, and that isnt being cheap, thats what you should aim for in every thing. thats what happens when you have bills to pay and live on your own. the more you can save on x the more there is for y. TBH whenever i see people with @dalekphalm s attitude i just think entitled pratt who has never really been short of money, and i dont mean "in college i only had $10 to my name and i couldnt go drinking" short of money, i mean do i buy food or pay the rent short of money, who do i feed me or my kids short of money. its easy to condescend to people and tell them "tough go with out" when its not you going without.

riiiiight. so people who pirate software are the same as a man who ordered the deaths of 11 million people.......yeah clueless much

I find it extremely amusing that you make these assumptions about me. Ones that are wrong.

I make a very good wage right now. A wage that I earned through years of hard work, and shitty jobs. I paid my own way through college with no money from parents or friends or relatives. When I graduated, it was the heart of the 2008 recession, where entry level IT jobs had people applying with 20 years experience because the company they worked for went bankrupt over night and no longer exists.

I had to go through years of part time, min wage jobs, while still having to pay rent, buy food, pay off my student debt, etc. Some months it really did come down to food or rent/bills.

I earned my right to pay full price for video games. And when I couldn't afford them, did I pirate them? No. I saved up and bought them on a steam sale, or went without.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Microsoft, do you want to lose people?

Good thing I did not upgrade my main computer. Free to disable "unauthorized hardware"? What?! Screw you Microsoft.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Piracy basically is the Hitler of software. It should get the fuck out and stay out. People that support it are imbeciles.

THe hardware thing though? Meh. I can see where they're coming from, but no.

I have (and use) pirated copies of several games I bought.  Note that I said "bought".  The content creators and everyone involved were paid for their work, so I don't have to give 2 ****s about morality lectures.

Why did I insist on using the pirated versions?  simple :

- The pirated stuff runs without Origin / Uplay / Games For Windows Live / Social Club accounts and all that other nonsense.

This means it not only runs better because there's no DRM to cripple it, it also means I can play my favourite games without everyone and their dog knowing what I'm doing by looking at my Origin/Uplay/etc account.

- It also works without "always online" requirements. 

- For older games that still needed the disk in the tray and where a nocd exe wasn't available, a pirated version also was the best way to avoid having to swap dvds every time I wanted to play a game.

In short the pirated stuff tends to be better and more convenient than the official versions. 

If that makes me an imbecile, then so be it.  At least I'm not so stupid that I'm using the original (inferior) version of the software I paid for. 

ITT: People who cannot read information given to them, and are disgustingly gullible to anything that raises torches and pitchforks. 

I've said this time and time again, there are people out there that dedicate their time to making Windows 10 (and Microsoft, by proxy) look like the child of Satan, without any sufficiently grounded information. If you people actually spend the time to RTFA, you will notice some self-contradictory information.

Shame on you!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I have (and use) pirated copies of several games I bought.  Note that I said "bought".  The content creators and everyone involved were paid for their work, so I don't have to give 2 ****s about morality lectures.

Why did I insist on using the pirated versions?  simple :

- The pirated stuff runs without Origin / Uplay / Games For Windows Live / Social Club accounts and all that other nonsense.

This means it not only runs better because there's no DRM to cripple it, it also means I can play my favourite games without everyone and their dog knowing what I'm doing by looking at my Origin/Uplay/etc account.

- It also works without "always online" requirements. 

- For older games that still needed the disk in the tray and where a nocd exe wasn't available, a pirated version also was the best way to avoid having to swap dvds every time I wanted to play a game.

In short the pirated stuff tends to be better and more convenient than the official versions. 

If that makes me an imbecile, then so be it.  At least I'm not so stupid that I'm using the original (inferior) version of the software I paid for. 

Haha, I can't count how many times I used pirated exes for games I bought because of the stupid CD requirement. Pirating copies of games you paid for is a pretty good idea too. Makes me think I should go get Far Cry 4 off nosteam for example, since I own the Uplay version and who knows if Ubisoft will even be around in ten years to validate my legal copy of the game?

Bah who pirates games anymore. Because of steam I stopped many years ago.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

How cheap should games be? I remember back in the mid to late 80s NES games cost about $30. Now games cost $60 which is about $30 in inflation adjusted late 1980s dollars despite the fact that games are now multiyear productions with huge development, art, and testing teams as opposed to the old Nintendo games that could be written by a few people in a few months. Nowadays you get a lot of game for your dollar. Old NES games might have 2-4 hours of content. Now you have 100-250 hours of content in a large RPG and even some shooters can have 15 hours of single player content, not to mention the endless multiplayer. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, and then lots of the time if you're patient you can find them cheaper in Steam sales.

That's not the entire story though: Yes some AAA games and other impressive indie games actually are quite complex and such. But along with the gaming complexity, hardware and software has also progressed a lot since the NES days: you don't really need to learn to code assembly to do a game, in fact you barely need to program at all with almost ready to be deployed engines like Unity or UnrealEngine and such, where you just basically just need to work on the assets and not basically invent new technology, game engine, etc. from Scratch like many games from the early 90s

So in reality, many games available right now, even fairly sizeable games, are at least as but no more time consuming or difficult to produce than back then but not to such a degree than to say "we're getting 100x value now!" 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't you get a student license for free, you just not allowed to make profit of it, could be wrong but some apps have student license you can get for free.

Yes, it's $10/month for the student pricing.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I honestly don't mind the unauthorized hardware, but pirated games? Hell, half of my games on my PC ARE pirated.

I don't pirate, but I'm worried what it will consider pirated games.  Free games that display a warning when you launch them, as they have no publisher, are some of my favourite things to play.  Does that count as pirated?

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

ITT: nobody reads the article and don't notice it's about xbox and NOT WINDOWS

People are just looking for reasons to hate MS, I swear.

What. Windows 10 is a PC Os, no Xbox firmware or whatever.

What. Windows 10 is a PC Os, no Xbox firmware or whatever.

This is about the Xbox One, not the PC. People seem to be ignoring the article and thinking it's a Windows thing (even the title, misleading as fuck.)

I find it extremely amusing that you make these assumptions about me. Ones that are wrong.

I make a very good wage right now. A wage that I earned through years of hard work, and shitty jobs. I paid my own way through college with no money from parents or friends or relatives. When I graduated, it was the heart of the 2008 recession, where entry level IT jobs had people applying with 20 years experience because the company they worked for went bankrupt over night and no longer exists.

I had to go through years of part time, min wage jobs, while still having to pay rent, buy food, pay off my student debt, etc. Some months it really did come down to food or rent/bills.

I earned my right to pay full price for video games. And when I couldn't afford them, did I pirate them? No. I saved up and bought them on a steam sale, or went without.

i need to move to where you live. part time on min wage and you could still afford rent, food bills and student loans.  man thats some awesome min wage.  where i live part time on min wage wouldnt clear rent on its own......l

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i need to move to where you live. part time on min wage and you could still afford rent, food bills and student loans.  man thats some awesome min wage.  where i live part time on min wage wouldnt clear rent on its own......l

Perhaps you should have thought about your financial arrangement then?

I afforded rent by sharing an apartment with 2 other people, so we split the rent 3 ways. That takes an unaffordable apartment, that I could not afford on my own, and makes it a reasonable amount.

Also, part time minimum wage was not enough to pay for everything. Only when I could get enough hours (usually 30+, which is approaching full time hours) is when I had enough money to pay for everything. I had to rack up thousands of dollars worth of credit card debt to pay for food and bills, and the student loan often went unpaid.

You, however, are not interested in facts, based on your responses. You're taking a situation, and twisting the context to suit your needs.

Perhaps you should have thought about your financial arrangement then?

I afforded rent by sharing an apartment with 2 other people, so we split the rent 3 ways. That takes an unaffordable apartment, that I could not afford on my own, and makes it a reasonable amount.

Also, part time minimum wage was not enough to pay for everything. Only when I could get enough hours (usually 30+, which is approaching full time hours) is when I had enough money to pay for everything. I had to rack up thousands of dollars worth of credit card debt to pay for food and bills, and the student loan often went unpaid.

You, however, are not interested in facts, based on your responses. You're taking a situation, and twisting the context to suit your needs.

yeah, silly  me for getting laid off in the financial crisis, maybe i should have thought about that, maybe i should have moved 2 more people into my home along with me my other half and our child.......

again the grasp on what life is really like without money when you have REAL issues to deal with eludes you.

im done with this conversation i have better things to do with my time....like pirate games.....now where is that copy of batman........

yeah, silly  me for getting laid off in the financial crisis, maybe i should have thought about that, maybe i should have moved 2 more people into my home along with me my other half and our child.......

again the grasp on what life is really like without money when you have REAL issues to deal with eludes you.

im done with this conversation i have better things to do with my time....like pirate games.....now where is that copy of batman........

Again you make blanket statements with no basis to back them up. Just because you've had a hard life does not mean other people haven't. I've been there where you have to eat spaghetti and rice for 3 weeks because that's the only food you can afford.

You go and enjoy pirating batman. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I'm glad that you have something better to do.

With how people reacted to Windows 8, Vista, and even 7, that is an unfortunate statement of the obvious.

I wonder how many people had the joy of actually experiencing pre-SP2 XP.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

With how people reacted to Windows 8, Vista, and even 7, that is an unfortunate statement of the obvious.

I wonder how many people had the joy of actually experiencing pre-SP2 XP.

*vomits* I had the joy of working with pre-SP1 XP.

I was doing a co-op placement in high school at a computer shop when XP was released. We exclusively sold systems with 98SE still loaded on them unless someone specifically requested Windows XP, because of how buggy and unstable it was.

I don't pirate so this doesn't bother me.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

ITT: nobody reads the article and don't notice it's about xbox and NOT WINDOWS

I'm not seeing where it says that.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I've skimmed up to like page 7 or 8, and here's my rambling thoughts:

Just how in the hell are they going to enforce "only legit applications" on a platform as open as Windows/PC?

If they're going to do a whitelist, where only certain application names/hashes/signatures can be run, then what about

• ye old "rename everything to Notepad.exe" trick
  • any computer programmer creating any exe. Of course that'll create an exe that's never been seen before
  • self modifying code (some viruses do this to get around virus scanners that use signature based detection )
  • modifying whitelist.txt to allow whatever the hell you want.
  • size. that file would be fucking huge. Every single fucking version of every single fucking program will somehow need to be stored

If it's a blacklist, where anything matching something in that file won't get run. Literally almost the same things apply here:

• You can delete the file and make the blacklist be empty
  • some fucker can make "helloworld.exe" be in that blacklist and fuck up every jr programmer.

Regulating hardware? Psshhh. Good fucking luck.

And about the whole conversation about blocking Dolphin emulator. You guys realize how quickly they iterate through releases/version numbers, right?  multiple times per day, sometimes once per hour.

And, your antivirus/antimalware already prevents stuff from running that it doesn't like. I have no idea how Microsoft will work with that.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Oh look, another reason not to switch to windows 10.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs