[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

This just in: Steam is the only gaming platform in the universe, all those absurdly priced games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance or the original Shantae never really existed.

Obviously there are other gaming platforms. But we're talking about Windows 10 - and therefore PC Gaming. The vast majority of PC games are sold via Steam.

Also, Steam's biggest competitor - EA's Origin - also offers refunds on all 1st party games. Any 3rd party game available on Origin is already available on Steam too (There may be the occasional exception, but this remains true for the vast majority of 3rd party Origin titles), and thus, can be refunded via the Steam refund policy.

GOG.com also offers refunds, but they only offer refunds for technical reasons (Eg: You can't get the game to run).

Certainly, there also needs to be refund policies for the consoles, and any PC Gaming Platform that still does not offer such a service. But piracy is not the answer to get these companies onboard with refunds. Once Steam did it, the rest of the PC platforms will likely follow. For console, for most games, you can always sell the game to the used market to recap some of your investment (Also many retail stores offer an exchange policy for defective media).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

# 3 is way out of line. The first thing you do is steal a pc to order dominoes online with your stolen credit cards. Enjoy your golden palace my friend. 

#3 is not out of line at all. Certainly, I'm sure some impoverished people will steal a PC to.. order Domino's Pizza... but that's not exactly the norm. I work with impoverished citizens on a daily basis (Public library) - some don't even have homes, many are jobless - the vast majority of them come here to use the free public internet access computers.

While this does not equate to someone who lives in, say, one of the war-torn parts of Iraq right now, it's still meaningful.

In any case, as I said before, I specifically exempted impoverished nations from my statements about piracy.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

While this does not equate to someone who lives in, say, one of the war-torn parts of Iraq right now, it's still meaningful.

Those guys use dial-up & have absolutely no time for pirating anyway laugh.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

OP, did you atleast catch some fish with the Click Bait?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

"using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"    What??  I don't need anyone's permision to plug whatever I want to my PC.

Sounds to me like I'm not going to be able to use my generic xbox 360 controller wireless adapter anymore.....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Obviously there are other gaming platforms. But we're talking about Windows 10 - and therefore PC Gaming. The vast majority of PC games are sold via Steam.

Also, Steam's biggest competitor - EA's Origin - also offers refunds on all 1st party games. Any 3rd party game available on Origin is already available on Steam too (There may be the occasional exception, but this remains true for the vast majority of 3rd party Origin titles), and thus, can be refunded via the Steam refund policy.

GOG.com also offers refunds, but they only offer refunds for technical reasons (Eg: You can't get the game to run).

Certainly, there also needs to be refund policies for the consoles, and any PC Gaming Platform that still does not offer such a service. But piracy is not the answer to get these companies onboard with refunds. Once Steam did it, the rest of the PC platforms will likely follow. For console, for most games, you can always sell the game to the used market to recap some of your investment (Also many retail stores offer an exchange policy for defective media).

And Emulation is a huge part of PC gaming. I know people who only own a Wii so they can make isos for Dolphin. I also know a bunch of FE newcomers who nope'd the hell out at the price of the radiant games and decided to use Dolphin even though their computers didn't run it very well.

Hell, Xenoblade is one of the most pirated games of all time. Dolphin being locked out of Windows 10 would be a big deal if it were to happen.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Screw that. There NO demos available for any of these games. Pirating is the only half hour demos I have. If this is the case Valve must enforce a demo policy on all games.

And Emulation is a huge part of PC gaming. I know people who only own a Wii so they can make isos for Dolphin. I also know a bunch of FE newcomers who nope'd the hell out at the price of the radiant games and decided to use Dolphin even though their computers didn't run it very well.

Hell, Xenoblade is one of the most pirated games of all time. Dolphin being locked out of Windows 10 would be a big deal if it were to happen.

Sure but that's incredibly unlikely, even with this new policy. Why is Microsoft going to give a shit about emulators? They aren't going to be the world piracy police, as that would require incredible amounts of resources and manpower from them.

Screw that. There NO demos available for any of these games. Pirating is the only half hour demos I have. If this is the case Valve must enforce a demo policy on all games.

Why does Valve need to do that in the slightest, when they offer full refunds within 14 days or 2 hours of gameplay? That gives you your half hour demo. Try it, don't like it? Refund it.

This is completely unnecessary now. Steam offers FULL REFUNDS on every game they sell, worldwide, within 14 days of purchase, or 2 hours of gameplay (whichever comes first), this has been around for several months now.

Buy the game, try it out. If it sucks, you can request the refund via the support section - no need to email support and wait for a response, there's an automated system to get the process started.

There is now literally no reason for someone in a developed nation to pirate a game. You now have the same rights as anyone buying a physical item. Buy it, try it out, keep it if it's good.

If it's a game that requires more than 2 hours of gameplay to determine quality (Say, an MMO), then simply watch someone on YouTube that reviews games - such as AngryJoe or just watch a game streamer on Twitch.

I'm all for the refund system, but since I don't use my CC/Debit card on Steam means I can't get a refund directly to my bank account. I have to go to a store, buy a Steam Wallet code, and then buy the game on Steam. If I don't like it then I don't get that money back directly, it stays on Steam. Also that money can be in the refund process for up to 7 days, which the last time I did a refund it took 6 days to do so.

Sorry, but if I want to try a game out I'm pirating it, otherwise I'll be wasting money and/or time one way or another.

Sure but that's incredibly unlikely, even with this new policy. Why is Microsoft going to give a shit about emulators? They aren't going to be the world piracy police, as that would require incredible amounts of resources and manpower from them.

I don't think they would either, I'm saying it as a possibility.

I just don't think piracy is as balk and white as people make it out to be. A lot of the games that are pirated aren't even being sold anymore.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I'm all for the refund system, but since I don't use my CC/Debit card on Steam means I can't get a refund directly to my bank account. I have to go to a store, buy a Steam Wallet code, and then buy the game on Steam. If I don't like it then I don't get that money back directly, it stays on Steam. Also that money can be in the refund process for up to 7 days, which the last time I did a refund it took 6 days to do so.

Sorry, but if I want to try a game out I'm pirating it, otherwise I'll be wasting money and/or time one way or another.

I personally feel that you are then abusing the system. Obviously, you're free to decide what your own best course of action is, but if it ties up the money for 7 days, I say that's a fair price to pay for a good alternative to piracy.

As for that money going back onto your steam account - I don't really see the issue, as you're more than likely going to buy another game on Steam anyway, sooner or later. I suppose that's the price you pay for not using a direct payment method.

You should be checking out detailed/in-depth reviews before purchase regardless, so that should weed out 99% of the bad games. You actually having to get a refund should be a rare event.

I don't think they would either, I'm saying it as a possibility.

I just don't think piracy is as balk and white as people make it out to be. A lot of the games that are pirated aren't even being sold anymore.

I agree, but you know we're not talking about those games.

Abandonware is a totally different topic. In the rare instances where piracy directly caused by a game being unavailable via digital distribution, then that is a different situation entirely.

I freely admit to pirating Freespace 2 during the interim period where it's IP was in legal limbo - the only places you could find a legit copy were physical box copies on eBay for like $90 a pop. But I bought it the moment it came out on GOG.com.

scrolling through the comments and reading all the piracy people kicking up a fuss. hilarious. Windows 10 here I come.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

So if I use 3rd Party drivers for some of my hardware, does that count as unauthorized?  If so I might not upgrade my desktop from 8.1.

This is completely unnecessary now. Steam offers FULL REFUNDS on every game they sell, worldwide, within 14 days of purchase, or 2 hours of gameplay (whichever comes first), this has been around for several months now.

Buy the game, try it out. If it sucks, you can request the refund via the support section - no need to email support and wait for a response, there's an automated system to get the process started.

There is now literally no reason for someone in a developed nation to pirate a game. You now have the same rights as anyone buying a physical item. Buy it, try it out, keep it if it's good.

If it's a game that requires more than 2 hours of gameplay to determine quality (Say, an MMO), then simply watch someone on YouTube that reviews games - such as AngryJoe or just watch a game streamer on Twitch.

That unauthorized hardware would only apply to the XBox, not the OS.

See above. You CAN play the first 10 minutes of the actual game - on Steam - any game on Steam.

I've elaborated my stance on piracy many times and I will give my arguments this time as well. 

I know of people who bought Simcity (the new one) and didn't like the "always online" drm part and therefore wanted to pirate it. They paid for the game, they didn't want the drm because they paid for it. 

And also the demo point counts, I've downloaded quite a few games before and then bought them, this was before steam offered the refund policy and regardless, some games aren't on steam (although I believe that Origin also has a refund policy?). 

You might say that you agree that always online is stupid and that more demo's should be made, but they aren't and most publishers don't seem to head in that direction so then I support piracy. If the'd head in the opposite way I might side with you. 

And it seems you disagree with the "no lost sale" argument, well I must say I agree with it. Because it doesn't cost the publisher money, the download is not via their servers so it doesn't cost them money in that way either. Actually I think it is good, because even pirates can spread the popularity. I reckon many people who pirated say Minecraft started watching for example the Yogscast and other minecraft youtubers, thereby getting those channels more attentions, and then more people seeing and consequently buying the game. 

Of course there are also pirates who just pirate because they are dickheads and don't think the creator deserves the money, but those are not all the pirates (and in some cases I will agree that the creator doesn't deserve my money, but that kinda goes in the lost sales argument sort of) and I support piracy and always will. 

Post scriptum: why do you consider steal to be a good way of describing it? I disagree very very strongly with that, in my opinion you should use the word "pirate" because they mean 2 very different things. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

In the case of Fallout 3, if the game never launches, and support is unable to get the game to launch, I would request a refund. That is of course assuming you were still within the 14 days.

I bought it years ago and just recently tried to play it again and it wouldn't launch. Nothing they can do, there is a fix but I just didn't care enough. 

This doesn't bother me. Sure I use Microsoft Products such as Office 365 (Which I love) so of course I'm gonna buy another subscription. I don't use half the stuff on this list except for OneDrive (Because of Office 365) and maybe Cortana.

If you feel the need to pirate software, then take this into consideration, there are free alternatives. 

As for gathering information about the user, as much as it regrets me to say it, there are plenty of other companies out there that know your information without your knowledge

(i.e. Not reading a T&C for example, possible NSA/GCHQ), and I am going to say they will do more with your information than MS will ever do (I hope anyway).

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I dont pirate games but im not OK with this, i hate the intrusive miscrosoft bullshit i had enough. I'll test win 10 for little longer if bullshit continues its back to 8, so far i managed to uninstall/disable most of the crap so its fine.

Thats why they werent making a proper OS, there were devloping all this data collection and blocking and idiotic apps in silent, fuck off M$.

I do tryout games sometimes using a crack before purchase because the retard industry does not offer a game demo or trial anymore, last time i did it with witcher 3 and its good i tried it runs like shit and i didnt buy it or played it.

If only there were any options :( unless Valve does something great with SteamOS we are fucked with windows, its going down a road i will not follow ever.

I personally feel that you are then abusing the system. Obviously, you're free to decide what your own best course of action is, but if it ties up the money for 7 days, I say that's a fair price to pay for a good alternative to piracy.

As for that money going back onto your steam account - I don't really see the issue, as you're more than likely going to buy another game on Steam anyway, sooner or later. I suppose that's the price you pay for not using a direct payment method.

You should be checking out detailed/in-depth reviews before purchase regardless, so that should weed out 99% of the bad games. You actually having to get a refund should be a rare event.

I'm abusing the system because I want to demo a game before I put any money down? 7 days where money is tied up is a good alternative? Where the hell do you come up with these excuses?

Also I do read/watch reviews/first impressions and I make sure it's a good port before buying a game, however I have had issues with some games in the past that absolutely refuse to work on my PC while others have had no problems. So I'm stuck with a broken game, $20-$60 short, and a very bad taste in my mouth, all of this could have been avoided if there was a demo that I could play beforehand.

All I am asking for is a simple demo, if I can't get that then I pirate the game before I buy. No devs/pubs can be trusted these days and that is 100% on them.

I'm also morally against piracy. If you live in a 1st world nation (Eg: Western Europe or North America) where the average wages and cost of living allow any reasonable person to buy luxury items, such as games, then you should be paying for your software. If you still can't afford it, then you don't need it. There are plenty of FREE alternatives for productivity software, and there are plenty of free or free-to-play games for those less fortunate users who want to play video games.

C'mon man . CAD/CAM software can be crazy expensive and alternatives will only confuse students that are used during classes . 

Sometimes University will provide keys for students , but that's really dependant on university.

I'd rather they make Shockwave more stable! Can't even use Hangouts without soundcloud flipping its shit and then everything freezes.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Wow the way there going soon your going to have to jailbreak/jtag/rgh/whatever your PC for it to even function as a PC lol!

I'm abusing the system because I want to demo a game before I put any money down? 7 days where money is tied up is a good alternative? Where the hell do you come up with these excuses?

Also I do read/watch reviews/first impressions and I make sure it's a good port before buying a game, however I have had issues with some games in the past that absolutely refuse to work on my PC while others have had no problems. So I'm stuck with a broken game, $20-$60 short, and a very bad taste in my mouth, all of this could have been avoided if there was a demo that I could play beforehand.

All I am asking for is a simple demo, if I can't get that then I pirate the game before I buy. No devs/pubs can be trusted these days and that is 100% on them.

This.

If its not worth buying then its not worth pirating.

What no. I want Photoshop but it's so expensive so I pirate it. It's worth buying.