[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

I wonder how many people had the joy of actually experiencing pre-SP2 XP.

Me. Since we upgraded from Me, we actually liked it .-.

What. Windows 10 is a PC Os, no Xbox firmware or whatever.

That's right, and windows OS is not listed in the services or products that these conditions apply to.  There is no update for windows that will detect pirated software, at worst windows defender will think some no-cd and no-steam patches are malware/viruses (like most anti virus software already does), but that's it.

All this talk about windows update disabling software and hardware is only based on an emotional reaction to a click bait title that is erroneous at best.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows 10 allows streaming of XBONE games from the XBONE, so I assume the unauthorized hardware, is a modded XBONE, that can handle pirated gaames. Honestly you cannot blame MS for doing that.

If it's whatever else, then it's iffy and I don't like it.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm surprised at the people saying it apples to XBOX and not Windows 10. You didn't read the policy.

I clearly listed in earlier posts what the policy considers to be covering.

It includes Skype, Outlook, Picture Gallery, Cortana, Office programs, etc etc.

I have no clue why some of you are saying it only covers Xbox. It clearly states that if you continue using any of the programs listed you are agreeing to the policy terms.

You're surely trolling saying that it doesn't apply to Windows.

I'm surprised at the people saying it apples to XBOX and not Windows 10. You didn't read the policy.

I clearly listed in earlier posts what the policy considers to be covering.

It includes Skype, Outlook, Picture Gallery, Cortana, Office programs, etc etc.

I have no clue why some of you are saying it only covers Xbox. It clearly states that if you continue using any of the programs listed you are agreeing to the policy terms.

You're surely trolling saying that it doesn't apply to Windows.

The key difference here is that by using any one of those services, it's not some blanket statement.

If you use Cortana, then the policy ONLY APPLIES TO CORTANA, not the rest of Windows.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The key difference here is that by using any one of those services, it's not some blanket statement.

If you use Cortana, then the policy ONLY APPLIES TO CORTANA, not the rest of Windows.

These terms (“Terms”) cover the use of those Microsoft’s consumer products, websites, and services listed here (the “Services”). Many of these products previously had separate terms that were called different names, such as “Xbox Live Terms of Use” or “Skype Terms of Use,” and these Terms replace those separate terms. You accept these Terms by creating a Microsoft account or Skype account, through your use of the Services, or by continuing to use the Services after being notified of a change to these Terms.

For those who vehemently against pirated software, what about games or software that are no longer available for purchase?

What about no CD cracks, or cracks to remove DRM? (for your legally obtained software)

Would you like to see Microsoft block those programs/game modifications?

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

-snip-

even if  ms tryed to stop pirates on windows....after *cough* letting them all upgrade for free *cough*, they would just make better cracks most likely.

but yea the title of this post needs to be changed.

For those who vehemently against pirated software, what about games or software that are no longer available for purchase?

What about no CD cracks, or cracks to remove DRM? (for your legally obtained software)

Would you like to see Microsoft block those programs/game modifications?

You will never stop pirates, it won't happen.

I never pirate anything, So i'm fine.   

But, honestly.  Unauthorized hardware is a bit far. If they mean hardware like stolen goods from stores such as an Xbox controller which was stolen and the store deactivated it, then it wouldn't run on Windows 10.  Thats fine. 

but, if its knockoff controllers and stuff.  Thats a bit of a stretch.  If someone wants to buy a knockoff controller (I never would) then its their business, not mine and not microsoft's as long as the company wasn't doing any illegal stuff.  

Saying that, there is probably a way to disable it, and its also probably a security feature preventing hacked or hijacked hardware from gaining access to someones operating system and files.  As of now, if someone picked up an SD card with a modified firmware containing malware, and they plugged it into their pc it would work and probably infect them.  If they plugged into Windows 10 it might not work.  

What I will say, is that Windows 10 is allot more secure than Windows 7 in terms of malware. But, more privacy-concerning too.  

These terms (“Terms”) cover the use of those Microsoft’s consumer products, websites, and services listed here (the “Services”). Many of these products previously had separate terms that were called different names, such as “Xbox Live Terms of Use” or “Skype Terms of Use,” and these Terms replace those separate terms. You accept these Terms by creating a Microsoft account or Skype account, through your use of the Services, or by continuing to use the Services after being notified of a change to these Terms.

I have already posted that list, if you read through the list you'll see the windows OS is not in it, Those conditions do not apply to windows itself, they apply only to the MS products/services listed.  

Just because a companies T&C's are vague to the reader or missing a definitive statement does not mean the missing statement is happening.  MS don't tell you they are going to give you a free cow with every email account you create. why? because they are not going to do it, just like they have not said the conditions apply to windows because the conditions don't apply to windows.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

unauthorized hardware not sure what that means but im sure they will clarify

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

• some fucker can make "helloworld.exe" be in that blacklist and fuck up every jr programmer.

LOL

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Okay, so, I have a question. Why does it target pirated games specifically?

I usually pirate games before buying because of all the bullshit game publishers try to pass by us (I did before steam refunds)

To me it's a big F you. The joke is that yet again, hardcore pirates will get away with this for free because they'll also have a pirated windows 10 copy and it's going to end up punishing paying customers.

Edit:I dont see how Windows could do that without damaging/deleting files that dont belong to them without asking which at that point might as well be considered a malware/virus?

If its not worth buying then its not worth pirating.

And how exactly do I determine whether it's worth buying or not?

Disabling pirated software is a good thing, but what's the point of disabling unauthorized hardware.....

You think your operating system telling you what software you are allowed or not allowed to run is okay? That is infinitely worse ethically than pirating games.

I really wish people would read the sources. The title is completely misleading (even the thread creator said so himself). For those who drag in Skype etc. to make it apply to everything on W10, Skype is a MS service. They have the right to do whatever they want with it.

This does not cover services, games, programs and such that are NOT part of MS. Really, do you honestly think MS is going to bother creating updates all the time for pirated apps and games? Know how much manpower, not to mention hours it will take to stay on top of it all the time?

Please, think in a more logical way before posting inane arguments against something that's simply not true.

As for the whole piracy debate, my stance is that if something is not available through legitemate means, feel free to pirate it. If it's too expensive, don't buy it.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

So we can't plug in anything we want? What if it false flags games from say GOG as pirated? I knew there'd be a catch with Windows 10

Microsoft’s new Service Terms that went in effect on the 1st of August state the technology giant can prevent you from playing counterfeit games or use unauthorized hardware.

What does this mean? That whenever you do an upgrade to your PC or (even though it's a stretch) maybe even if you void the warranty on your hardware by for example Overclocking that MS could simply shut you down?

This sucks!

I haven't torrented a game or program in awhile actually. So I'm okay with this for now... I don't think I'd ever want to go back to Windows 8.1, not because of UI issues, because I got over those, but because of many, many random crashes and weird bugs that I just couldn't fix. Windows 10 fixed these issues, so I'm happy for now. 

Windows 10 does seem to be getting sketchier by the day, so we'll see how far Microsoft is willing to take things...

COMIC SANS

So we can't plug in anything we want? What if it false flags games from say GOG as pirated? I knew there'd be a catch with Windows 10

Microsoft’s new Service Terms that went in effect on the 1st of August state the technology giant can prevent you from playing counterfeit games or use unauthorized hardware.

What does this mean? That whenever you do an upgrade to your PC or (even though it's a stretch) maybe even if you void the warranty on your hardware by for example Overclocking that MS could simply shut you down?

This sucks!

It's for Xbox, to stop people modifying their consoles to circumvent pirated games.  It has nothing to do with PC hardware.

Can the title be changed already,  Clearly people are not reading the thread to see that it is wrong and this is going to bug the forum for months.  Every time there is a news post about MS half the forum is going to bang on about them trying to control what programs and hardware you use.   

ITT: nobody reads the article and don't notice it's about xbox and NOT WINDOWS

People are just looking for reasons to hate MS, I swear.

That's right, and windows OS is not listed in the services or products that these conditions apply to.  There is no update for windows that will detect pirated software, at worst windows defender will think some no-cd and no-steam patches are malware/viruses (like most anti virus software already does), but that's it.

All this talk about windows update disabling software and hardware is only based on an emotional reaction to a click bait title that is erroneous at best.

and yet the list includes a load of windows 10 apps and programs give it a few days and MS will clarifiy but ill bet good money they include windows 10

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices" 

Microsoft, please clearly define "unauthorized hardware peripheral devices".

I'm wary of this, I don't have any pirated games, so not really bothered about the unauthorised software thing. Like other people have said, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be playing it!

But if Microsoft decide to just use their ban hammer on some random keyboards or whatever, because; well they don't even need a reason. With the terms of service they can ban anything they see to be "unauthorised".

I hope at least they use a blacklist system and only block things they know are clearly cheep counterfit versions of their own stuff. Like half of the xbox 360 controllers for sale on eBay.

But I also hope that they DON'T ban actual improvements on their original stuff, Scuf controllers, for example. (I've never used one; but I've been told they're actually pretty good).

---

I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on my comments. :)

Edit

Oh it's only for Xbox apparently? - Only have a 360, that hasn't been turned on in over a year. 

/PS2MasterRace

/PCMasterRace

;)

and yet the list includes a load of windows 10 apps and programs give it a few days and MS will clarifiy but ill bet good money they include windows 10

The list includes stuff that runs in windows because windows is core part of the pc (you can't run most of those apps without an OS.  Also this has nothing to do with windows 10 because the terms of service don't mention windows ten at all (ctrl F and search for it), the article in the OP has made that erroneous claim.   Terms and conditions make up a sale agreement between MS and the consumer.  Because MS have released a specific list of services that those specific conditions apply to they cannot just apply them to another product without first advertising it and giving an window of opportunity to find an alternative product, and even then they would be hard pushed to justify such terms in what is an unavoidable component of a computer.  It would be like Intel adding terms to the use of the i series CPU that they have access to your program files.

Again you make blanket statements with no basis to back them up. Just because you've had a hard life does not mean other people haven't. I've been there where you have to eat spaghetti and rice for 3 weeks because that's the only food you can afford.

You go and enjoy pirating batman. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I'm glad that you have something better to do.

In what country is spagati and rice the cheapest you can afford for 3 weeks ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

In what country is spagati and rice the cheapest you can afford for 3 weeks ?

Australia,  enough pasta to keep you full for 2 days costs 99c (75c US).  It's about the cheapest food you can get.  Mind you I don't know how long the body can go without nutrients though. 

EDIT: I guess with a multi vitamin you could survive on about 70c day but it would be hell.