RasspberryPi 4b not connecting to wifi

Go to solution Solved by Madmadz16,
On 5/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, Madmadz16 said:

I'm going to use it for pihole and I'll do some more testing when I get back home

Ok so I just got back and was able to do some more testing and now it just worked...

I removed the one that had the static ip set and rebooted and it stayed connected, then I set a static ip and rebooted again and it just worked. 

I just reinstalled RaspberryPiOs 64bit but now it wont connect to the wifi after reboot, even tho its saved and ive already been on it. I did set a static ip but it should still connect to it. when i try to do it manually it asks for the password again and creates 2 saved instances of the same wifi

image-2.png

Un-set the static IP. Why are you setting one?

If you want it to always be the same IP, set a reservation in the DHCP section of your router instead.

1 hour ago, whispous said:

Un-set the static IP. Why are you setting one?

If you want it to always be the same IP, set a reservation in the DHCP section of your router instead.

I don't have router access and it's always worked fine in the past

1 minute ago, Madmadz16 said:

I don't have router access and it's always worked fine in the past

You cannot just set a static IP on a device and expect it to work on a DHCP enabled network. That's not how it works. It won't work. It may have worked briefly but that is a fluke.

If you don't even have router access, why do you need a static IP?

31 minutes ago, whispous said:

You cannot just set a static IP on a device and expect it to work on a DHCP enabled network. That's not how it works. It won't work. It may have worked briefly but that is a fluke.

If you don't even have router access, why do you need a static IP?

You can set a static ip assuming it is out side of the scope of the DHCP server, I do this with mine, anything under x.x.x.10 is not in my dhcp scope.  If you are using it as a pi-hole for example.   DHCP reservation is a better choice, but it should still work with a static.

You can also try switching to DHCP just to eliminate that being the problem.  Or while the PIE4 is disconnected from WIFI, can you ping your static ip from a computer, do you get a response? Is something else using it?

If i recall the Pie4 also had some 5ghz issues, maybe trying forcing it to use the 2.4ghz radio only (you can google how)?

I'm going to use it for pihole and I'll do some more testing when I get back home

On 5/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, Madmadz16 said:

Ok so I just got back and was able to do some more testing and now it just worked...

I removed the one that had the static ip set and rebooted and it stayed connected, then I set a static ip and rebooted again and it just worked.