4K TVs Are Forked. You Should Wait Before You Buy One

Victorious Secret

4K_television-wall-ft-660x440.jpg

So you fancy getting a 4K TV/Monitor for yourself eh? While I applaud the decision to take the plunge into our UHD/DCI fuelled future, you might want to hold off for a little while to give everyone time to get their affairs in order before getting tied into a product that might not support everything you need. 

We know that 4K content is still sparse and its pricey to obtain. Like streaming? Well, you better have a minimum 25 down to handle streaming bitrates from Netflix much less any other site that has higher bitrates. You might want to hold off on getting a streaming box for sake of paying a lot more just for a tiny bit of content. 

Wired goes into pretty good detail with this one, it was a good read. This isn't just like Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. This like having multiple standards vying for support and a consortium of companies that hasn't gone and put the "official" label on everything from blu-ray player support, network receivers and codecs for our 4K filled future. 

Or go ahead and buy whatever you want. 4K sets are pretty awesome. 

Inside the Fork Drawer: OS Wars, Exclusivity, and Blessings

This new wave of smart-TV platforms will diverge in terms of their OS underpinnings. Samsung will use Tizen, LG utilizes WebOS, Panasonic runs Firefox OS, while Sharp and Sony will use proprietary systems alongside Android TV. That could make app development a chore, but the bigger issue is that the content available on each brand of set will be governed by exclusivity deals.

For example, only some UHD sets work with 4K streaming services from Netflix and Amazon; last week, Netflix announced a “Recommended TV” program that will allow certain manufacturers to show its UHD content. M-Go and Comcast have 4K apps exclusive to Samsung’s TVs. Sony’s Video Unlimited 4K service may have the deepest 4K catalog right now, but it requires a compatible TV and a $700 media player.

Codecs remain something of a barrier too. Both Netflix and Amazon use HEVC/H.265, which rapidly is becoming the compression standard. Google backs its own 4K-friendly codec, VP9, which also will be used for UltraHD YouTube videos. Many of this year’s new 4K TVs support both codecs. But even if a 4K set has an HEVC decoder, it may not be compatible with all the services using that codec. That goes back to the certification processes streaming services use to put their stamp of approval on certain TVs.

From Broadcast to Broadband

Let’s say you find a set compatible with every 4K service available—and it looks like Samsungs are the best bet right now. You’ve still gotta worry about bandwidth. 4K video is beefier than HD video—four times the resolution means a hell of a lot more data—and not all home networks can handle that rushing river reliably.

Netflix recommends 25Mbps download speeds for streaming 4K video, while the service’s 1080p streams require about 3Mbps. If your streaming setup buffers and stutters with the average HD video, 4K will be a struggle. According to Akamai’s most recent State of the Internet report, just 19 percent of U.S. homes had “4K-ready” connection speeds of 15Mbps or greater. According to Ookla’s Net Index, the mean broadband download speed in the US is 32Mbps, but there are major speed variances from ISP to ISP and state to state.

Welcome to the Era of Amazing 1080p TV Deals

The waiting is the hardest part, but at least you’ll have a 1080p set until the 4K train gains momentum. And guess what? They’ll practically be giving away high-end 1080p sets in the years to come.

At CES 2015, none of the major TV manufacturers highlighted new 1080p sets for the coming year. On the downside, that means things like quantum-dot color enhancement, OLED panels, and impossibly thin sets likely won’t show up in many (if any) 1080p offerings. Manufacturers will save all that cutting-edge stuff for their top models, and all those high-end models will be 4K TVs.

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/everybodys-going-buy-4k-tv-soon-dont-want-one-just-yet/

Umm. We have 100 Mbit/s down. And my Nvidia shield Tablet supports 4k output via HDMI as well. No problems for me.

Umm. We have 100 Mbit/s down. And my Nvidia shield Tablet supports 4k output via HDMI ad well. No problems for me.

this it doesnt matter what software is on the tv itself as long as it can act as a dumb display.

Nice read and you have a good point. There's not enough 4K content or bandwidth to warrant buying a 4K TV yet. This is slowly changing though. We just have to wait for everyone to catch up and start delivery their movies, TV shows, etc. in 4K and until then a nice 1080p TV should suffice.

@Victorious Secret

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I have dialup. I win automatically.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4k while not just go 8k lol jk. I agree with op on this. Im going to wait for everything to support 4k and for broadband to go up in speed before I even consider one. The highest they offer in my area is 20mbps down and 1 up. Also cable companies in my area only broadcast in 1080i. You heard me they dont even support 1080p so 4k support will be a long time away and no Im not going with dish or directv.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I honestly can't see a time where I'd buy a 4K TV in the foreseeable future. I haven't personally experienced 4K yet, so maybe I really am missing out. I still think it's too early to justify the expense, even if it is getting cheaper. I honestly don't think I would make the jump to 4K until the Early/Late Majority stage in its adoption lifecycle.

s7Pgutt.png

"DiffusionOfInnovation". Licensed under CC BY 2.5 via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DiffusionOfInnovation.png#mediaviewer/File:DiffusionOfInnovation.png

Some people have money to spare and don't care.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Honestly 4k never really interested me. It's the eventual future yes but I don't see the reason for the huge push it's getting.

I don't think the jump from 1080p to 4k will be as smooth as the jumping from SD to HD. It will take longer. And really no one needs 4k that badly.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

if 4K tv's came with display port i would consider them.

I hate 30hz. HDMI 2 solves this partially at least, but displayport will still be better on its next update.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I thought everyone knew that 4k is currently more of a gimmick than anything else?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I have dialup. I win automatically.

Your profile gif gets me every time  :D

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I am surprised that they didn't mentioned that there is next to no 4K content to begin with. Even if you have one of the services that has 4K content the library is tiny.

What the hell is NetFlix doing though? Why do they have some certification program with seemingly arbitrary rules for allowing 4K content? Shouldn't it just be enough to be able to play the video? Apparently if NetFlix don't think your TV looks good enough they will artificially block you from 4K content. To me that sounds like NetFlix trying to double dip. "Oh sorry your TV doesn't pass our tests... But I am sure there is a way to fix that *wink wink*"

I am surprised that they didn't mentioned that there is next to no 4K content to begin with. Even if you have one of the services that has 4K content the library is tiny.

What the hell is NetFlix doing though? Why do they have some certification program with seemingly arbitrary rules for allowing 4K content? Shouldn't it just be enough to be able to play the video? Apparently if NetFlix don't think your TV looks good enough they will artificially block you from 4K content. To me that sounds like NetFlix trying to double dip. "Oh sorry your TV doesn't pass our tests... But I am sure there is a way to fix that *wink wink*"

I wish Netflix would allow for 4K streaming on computers, even if there's only a 1080p display attached just for the higher bitrate. But then again, their 4K package costs more and available content for it is pretty small.... Which reminds me when is the new House of Cards season coming? I heard that is available in 4K.

@kurahk7

Feb 27th it seems like

Products like this are sold on content. Thats why 3D went bust (aside from technical limitations), and now is relegated back to being a very exclusive experience.

And there is no way im going to 4k tvs until the majority of content is in 4k, or my 1080p tv dies and a 4k tv is the same price to replace it. I dont have cable so i stream or download everything i watch, and its just not necessary to have it in 4k or 8k or whatever. I would much rather TV manufacturers focus on things like improving local dimming technologies (or maybe OLED?) that can improve 1080p displays that arent as expensive to make and have a wealth of content. And i honestly think a good 1080p tv with great black levels and bright colors looks waaaaaaay better than some of the 4k tvs.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

if 4K tv's came with display port i would consider them.

There is only 1 company that does that and its Panasonic, Looked into that already a month ago.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Clickbait title. OP should be slaughtered.

You should be banned for the dumb comments you make.

You should be banned for the dumb comments you make.

Yea but they won't do it.

I honestly can't see a time where I'd buy a 4K TV in the foreseeable future. I haven't personally experienced 4K yet, so maybe I really am missing out. I still think it's too early to justify the expense, even if it is getting cheaper. I honestly don't think I would make the jump to 4K until the Early/Late Majority stage in its adoption lifecycle.

s7Pgutt.png

"DiffusionOfInnovation". Licensed under CC BY 2.5 via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DiffusionOfInnovation.png#mediaviewer/File:DiffusionOfInnovation.png

For gaming hardware I'm a Laggard. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I am surprised at how many people think tvs can only be used to watch tv...

You can connect a tv to a computer and have PLENTY of 4k content.

Not only are there ltos of 4k videos on the internet, including youtube, but you can pay games at 4k, use programs at 4k, browse the web at 4k, have multiple 1080p windows open at the same time, have 4x more screen realestate, etc...

there is SO MUCH MORE you can do with a 4k tv if you connect it to a PC...

who still has a cable subscription anyway? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wish Netflix would allow for 4K streaming on computers, even if there's only a 1080p display attached just for the higher bitrate. But then again, their 4K package costs more and available content for it is pretty small.... Which reminds me when is the new House of Cards season coming? I heard that is available in 4K.

Netflix 4k is in HVEC h265. Most pc's will have a hard time decoding that. My 4770k uses 50%-70% CPU to decode some 4k HVEC content.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Netflix 4k is in HVEC h265. Most pc's will have a hard time decoding that. My 4770k uses 50%-70% CPU to decode some 4k HVEC content.

gg, so you're saying that a 4K tv is more powerful than my computer? :(

IIRC, the new Maxwell chips have built in h265 decoders right? Not sure what AMD has.