Former Valve dev rants on working at Valve

rafbanaan

A former developer at Valve, Rich Geldreich, wrote a rant on his blog that mostly describes his time at Valve. When he tweeted it, other developers joined in. I will try to keep this up to date and keep some sort of logic in the post.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964018

Rich Geldreich was part of the Linux team @ Valve and worked on SteamOS and VOGL. He already ranted about the OGL situation and left the company afterwards. 

It started with the following tweet

Thinking about writing a "What It's *Really* Like to Work at Valve" blog post, to get it off my chest. Worried I can't do the topic justice.

Which has let to the blog: http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/open-office-spaces-and-cabal-rooms-suck.html

Some snippets: 

In case you've never seen or worked in one of these horrible office spaces before, here's a public shot showing a small fraction of the Dota 2 cabal room:

dota2%2Bvalve017.jpg

I heard the desks got packed in so tightly that occasionally a person would lower or raise their desks and it would get caught against other nearby desks. One long-time Valve dev would try to make himself a little cubicle of sorts by parking himself into a corner with a bunch of huge monitors on his desk functioning as walls, kind of like this extreme example:

In case it wasn't clear: I really dislike large open office spaces. (Not 2-3 person offices, but large industrial scale 20-100 person open office spaces of doom.) Valve's was absolutely the worst expression of the concept I've ever experienced. I can understand doing the open office thing for a while at a startup, where every dollar counts, but at an established company I just won't tolerate this craziness anymore. (See the scientific research below if you think I feel too strongly about this trend.)

As an engineer I can force myself to function in them, but only with large headphones on and a couple huge monitors to block visual noise. I do my best to mentally block out the constant audio/visual (and sometimes olfactory!) interruptions, but it's tough. It's not rocket science people: engineers cannot function at peak efficiency in Romper Room-like environments.

Here's the list of issues I encountered while working in cabal (open office layout) rooms:

1. North Korea-like atmosphere of self-censorship:

2. Constant background noise: visual, auditory, olfactory, etc.

3. Bad physical cabal room placement: Don't put a cabal room next to the barber or day care rooms people (!).

4. Constant random/unstructured interruptions. 

5. Hyper-proximity to sick co-workers.

6. Noise spike in the afternoon in one cabal room, as everyone all the sudden decides to start chatting (usually about inane crap honestly) for 30-60 minutes. 

7. Environmental issues: Temperature either too high or too low, lighting either too bright, too dark, or wrong color spectrum. Nobody is ever really happy with this arrangement except the locally optimizing bean counters.

8. Power issues or fire hazards due to extreme desk density.

9. Mixing electrical or mechanical engineers (who operate power tools, solder, destruct shit, etc.) next to developers trying their best to concentrate on code.

10. Guest developers causing trouble:

11. No (or bad access to) white boards.

We finish with the conversation on Twitter where he doesn't care what people will think.

AhA85Pj.png

Holy shit, working at Valve is like working in any other office!?!?!?!?!?! what a surprise... 

This dude needs to get his head out of his ass and realize that even multi billionaire $ companies will do just about anything to cut costs. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I thought working at Valve was awesome :(

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you don't like your job quit. I've been saying it for years. I don't feel sorry for anyone who hates or rages out at the company they work for and continues to work there.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Still beats working at EA or Ubisoft.

From what I've seen at least Ubisoft's studios are really pretty and well spaced. I think it's due to them really making their money of selling games and not reselling games like Valve does so their staff is more important to them.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

From what I've seen at least Ubisoft's studios are really pretty and well spaced. I think it's due to them really making their money of selling games and not reselling games like Valve does so their staff is more important to them.

And yet their games tend to still suffer quality issues when they release.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As long as you've got a comfy chair and a good PC I see no problems really. Just looks like any other office, to be profitable they can't all have luxurious office spaces.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If you don't like your job quit. I've been saying it for years. I don't feel sorry for anyone who hates or rages out at the company they work for and continues to work there.

He already left.

As long as you've got a comfy chair and a good PC I see no problems really. Just looks like any other office, to be profitable they can't all have luxurious office spaces.

You've clearly never worked in this sort of studio. You need good headphones to cancel the noise of the PC fans and the chatter. The smell of stress sweat begins to permeate even with good air filters when deadlines roll around. Every once in a while someone yells and fist pounds a desk when everything goes wrong that day... It begins to feel claustrophobic. Everyone's looking at you if you walk out for a break from it all...

Even just having wall separators helps tremendously.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And yet their games tend to still suffer quality issues when they release.

Which is due to their shitty HQs that push them to release the games as early as possible.

Yeah, I haven't heard any good stuff from people who have worked there.

Maybe he was just really pissed because he got fired and now writes some random shit about Valve. Everything's possible.

It's work, you get paid to work not have a good time. People always find some reason to bitch about things....been on the net lately?

Um... That's not that much of a problem at all... Just wear ear plugs

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Maybe he was just really pissed because he got fired and now writes some random shit about Valve. Everything's possible.

But from 5 different people who one of which have been a member on the forum?

I still think Valve is just a wolf in sheep's clothing,   They've been around for so long and "GabeN" is so praised that any PC gamer will for give them for anything.

Still beats working at EA or Ubisoft.

Not true just look at DICE:

And Naughtydog as an example has the same big offices as Valve but they use office walls to split up the sections.

RTX2070OC 

Um... That's not that much of a problem at all... Just wear ear plugs

You've clearly never worked in this sort of studio. You need good headphones to cancel the noise of the PC fans and the chatter. The smell of stress sweat begins to permeate even with good air filters when deadlines roll around. Every once in a while someone yells and fist pounds a desk when everything goes wrong that day... It begins to feel claustrophobic. Everyone's looking at you if you walk out for a break from it all...

Even just having wall separators helps tremendously.

Well for a big company like valve this is not right IMO. I remember they have this hand book on how great it is to work for valve but it look like crap tbh. From the amount of cash they get, they do be cheap. Valve gets it quite easy, if this was EA everyone would be going crazy right now lol

I know there a lot of gaben fans here but they make so much from CS:GO but there are ton of hackers still on (on the Europe side servers (don't know about other areas)) that they haven't bothered to seriously fix.

Its nice to see some decent comments from you guys. At least some people have senses and know valve is in the wrong.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...