Government starts testing a Program in which a user must have License (Internet ID) to access the Internet

Fulgrim

BmzfNYwCIAAlP8H.jpg

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has issued $2.4 million for testing a government-based online identity system in Michigan and Pennsylvania.The initiative was developed under the “National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace” program for years and now is rolled-out for field testing.

“The goal is to put to bed once and for all our current ineffective and tedious system of using passwords for online authentication, which itself was a cure for the even more ineffective and tedious process of walking into a brick-and-mortar building and presenting a human being with two forms of paper identification,” reporter Meghan Neal wrote for VICE’s Motherboard website on Tuesday this week. Neal also expressed that it will help curb the problem of fraud which causes loses in billions for the US government.

“The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania pilot will offer residents the opportunity to obtain a secure, privacy-enhancing credential to conduct online transactions with a number of participating agencies including the departments of Public Welfare and Health,” NIST said when they awarded the grant to the Keystone State. “Citizens will be able to register just once to access a variety of services, eliminating the need to create multiple accounts and to validate their identity multiple times.”

It can bring convenience for many and that is the central idea of this project. However, it will also give more control to the government and that could be good or bad depending on what government decides to do with it. Thus, the stakes are too high according to Electronic Privacy Information Center associate director Lillie Coney. Coney said in 2011:
“Look at it this way: You can have one key that opens every lock for everything you might need online in your daily life, or, would you rather have a key ring that would allow you to open some things but not others?”

This will also open new opportunities for the hackers as well. Once they have access to your cyber ID they can access everything. Neal also shared same thoughts this week:
“Then there’s the problem of putting all your security eggs in one vulnerable basket. If a hacker gets their hands on your cyber ID, they have the keys to everything.”

Source 1 2 3

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Why yes I would prefer a keyring and different keys rather than one single key that can easily be stolen.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

OH God no!!!! 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

*COUGH* 1984 *COUGH*

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I heard about this a while back when it was just a discussion point.

Doesn't this pose the serious issue of denying internet, and therefore information, to immigrants, homeless (yes a lot of homeless have laptops or phones these days), and other similar groups? All so that you can prevent torrenting? 

So basically. 

They've restricted movement for many (S**t infrastructure)

Now they are thinking about ID cards.

Then come the curfews

*Cough*Stalin*Cough*

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

So basically. 

They've restricted movement for many (S**t infrastructure)

Now they are thinking about ID cards.

Then come the curfews

*Cough*Stalin*Cough*

The GULAG will rise again.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Hey America, the time has finally come to use those "rights" you've been battling to keep; if there ever was a time to get out your guns: this is it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just wait until you have an unpaid parking ticket and they shut down your access to the internet... 

omg..... they are literally trying everything their stupid minds can to take over the internet how stupid is that ID for internet,and it wants my email real name adress and ID card data in there too right? well at least i dont live in uk pfft

The GULAG will rise again.

ha-you-made-me-laugh-go-to-gulag-4340430

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

These types of things are bad, there are many legitimate reasons to be anonymous on the Internet. Anonymity is a mixed bag, but the positives of it outweigh the negatives.

I'll try to make a list of reasons for anonymity.

1) Allows individuals to post about or participate in discussions about subjects which may be embarrassing, "socially unacceptable", or "politically incorrect". (Such as rights for homosexuals, discussions about sexual diseases, or fetishes, etc.)

2) Allows journalists and/or whistleblowers to communicate and write about and/or expose controversial matters

3) Allows people to research things such as debt/credit card counseling without companies knowing about it (Thus they cannot impose certain consequences on you as a result of seeking/needing such help.)

4) Allows you to keep sensitive details about you private (Do you want the government to know that you did a Google search about whether or not Marijuana could help with your medical condition?)

Of course, to maintain protection in some of the scenarios above you will need to take additional measures such as using a VPN, a search engine like DuckDuckGo, a more privacy-oriented web browser such as Aviator, and using an Internet connection that isn't registered in your name.

I'm sure there's more reasons but that's all I've got off the top of my head.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Of course, to maintain protection in some of the scenarios above you will need to take additional measures such as using a VPN, a search engine like DuckDuckGo, a more privacy-oriented web browser such as Aviator, and using an Internet connection that isn't registered in your name.

Unless they make it illegal to use those things. I mean, ISPs are already making it against the TOS to use them, and I think it was the BBC which said that anyone who uses those are most likely pirating things.

Oh, Mr RH00D is using a VPN? I guess we will have to ban his Internet access then...

This is some of the worst news I have read in a long time. "The goal is to put to bed once and for all our current ineffective and tedious system of using passwords for online authentication". Sure...

I totally agree that passwords are a pain in the ass and many people forget them and so on, but having the government tie your name to everything you do online and having the power to shut you off whenever you want is not a good compromise.

This is a huge step backwards in terms of privacy and security. On top of all that, the US government has time and time again showed that they are willing to abuse their power. I have no doubt in my mind that they will abuse the hell out of this power if they get it.

I feel safer already : /

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

wow this is a great idea

no more scamers  ,no more bots ,no more dissidents i mean hate speech .........

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.