Government starts testing a Program in which a user must have License (Internet ID) to access the Internet

Fulgrim

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Welp, I'm moving out of this country. Yep, I'm done. I don't fucking care. I'm saving up to move to Canada the day I graduate. Fuck the USA. I hope this country collapses.

Thats a bit harsh.....

Yeah, because this all totally started with Obama. Totally. Really. Not really.

He wont actually take a stand on anything. He doesnt really care about anything anymore because he doesnt need to get re elected.

In my opinion at least.

Thats a bit harsh.....

Nothing can save this piece of shit country other than a revolution, but not enough people would support it. It would just turn into a civil war.

I heard about this a while back when it was just a discussion point.

Doesn't this pose the serious issue of denying internet, and therefore information, to immigrants, homeless (yes a lot of homeless have laptops or phones these days), and other similar groups? All so that you can prevent torrenting? 

At least internet access has been deemed a human right which should make it harder for them to deny you access to the internet. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Nothing can save this piece of shit country other than a revolution, but not enough people would support it. It would just turn into a civil war.

What kind of revolution?

He wont actually take a stand on anything. He doesnt really care about anything anymore because he doesnt need to get re elected.

In my opinion at least.

The first part has always been Obama's problem, the second is pretty much what we always see with last-tern politicians, and neither change the fact that this stuff started an extremely long time ago. I also can't think of a candidate who would have done anything about something like this. Hillary, McCain, and Romney all wouldn't pay attention to this because they're all old farts. I mean, Maybe the Republicans would say no because it's big government? That would only solve one issue though.

You also overestimate the president's power.

Good, that's the way it should be imho.

Keep the predators at bay.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

What kind of revolution?

Overthrowing the current government and drafting a new, modern bill of rights.

Also, kill the party system and the position of president. Both are detrimental.

I consider Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan(but damn Tsunami's and Hurricane's SUCK) and even New Zealand if that Internet based party gets somewhere, but man.. it is hard looking in to Canada to become a citizen as a U.S. citizen, I mean damn.  Canadian's got some good immigration in place, like -really- good immigration.  I love you Canada.  Have me as your new found child.

just say your poor theyll let you right in with the other immigrants and give you over 10k a year for being alive.

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

Judging from the reaction on this thread, no one actually read what it is about:

It is using a $1.1 million grant to develop an ID infrastructure for multiple state departments, combining both automated identity proofing with federated use of credentials so that the same token can be accepted for  multiple programs without duplicating effort and personal data across departments.

and

To help solve this problem, the National Institute of Standards and Technology has awarded $2.4 million to Michigan and Pennsylvania to test innovative tools and techniques for identity proofing and to enable use of secure credentials across departmental boundaries.

http://gcn.com/articles/2014/04/08/access-management.aspx

You people are taking it out of context. This isn't meant to be an end all to passwords or a required log-in credential to use the Internet.

The program would essentially tie your physical ID to online service managed by different governmental agencies and departments. What that means is that using one ID you can log-in to file your taxes, update IRS information, use this to renew and pay for your car's registration information with the DMV. There are countless other possibilities as well. This is what may happen down the line, for now its not going to be for public use, see the next statement for elaboration:

Essentially, its a way for government agencies and departments to use 1 log-in token linked to an person. From reading articles it seems that most of this will be used for interdepartmental log-ins and account management within different departments. This is  a bookkeeping tool for agencies, nothing more.

For anyone who works in IT: what's it like managing various databases with various user credentials? I can tell you it isn't fun. Having one database containing key credentials for numerous services is way easier to manage.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Good, that's the way it should be imho.

Keep the predators at bay.

What?!? You seriously think this will stop predators?

I see this going one of two ways: 

1) Everyone makes a smooth transition to having an online ID in the same way one has a driver's license. Internet speeds are standardized and there's a bare minimum which can be delivered in terms of speed (think Nordic countries, I believe Norway but not sure 100%) and we end up being more like South Korea overall

2) All shit goes to hell and everyone with half a brain moves to Canada/Europe

I see this going one of two ways: 

1) Everyone makes a smooth transition to having an online ID in the same way one has a driver's license. Internet speeds are standardized and there's a bare minimum which can be delivered in terms of speed (think Nordic countries, I believe Norway but not sure 100%) and we end up being more like South Korea overall

2) All shit goes to hell and everyone with half a brain moves to Canada/Europe

If you read the article, it isn't intended for the general public, but rather as a method for various governmental agencies and departments to have 1 standardized login, with each user receiving a unique token that allows them to login cross-department. Eg: IRS needs updated information about your vehicles, the IRS agent has 1 login that can access the DMV's databases, but also the databases of various other departments.

Another example: FBI agent needs access to CIA or DHS databases to cross check conviction information on a suspect. 1 login works cross department for all database and online queries.

If you actually read the articles which don't over sensationalize or draw crazy conclusions you can see what its all about:

It is using a $1.1 million grant to develop an ID infrastructure for multiple state departments, combining both automated identity proofing with federated use of credentials so that the same token can be accepted for  multiple programs without duplicating effort and personal data across departments.

and

To help solve this problem, the National Institute of Standards and Technology has awarded $2.4 million to Michigan and Pennsylvania to test innovative tools and techniques for identity proofing and to enable use of secure credentials across departmental boundaries.

http://gcn.com/articles/2014/04/08/access-management.aspx

Basically the government is updating their login services for various departments. It realistically is nothing more than booking on their part.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I remember Obama wanting to do this and the people basically slapping that idea down immediately. 

I remember Obama wanting to do this and the people basically slapping that idea down immediately. 

No one reads the original articles do they?

The OP was highly sensationalized. This isn't meant for access control of the general public's Internet. Its meant to give unified login credentials for various government agencies and departments. Those departments can then use 1 login to access information and databases across various departments, without having to worry about what username and password to use on what agency website.

Essentially, its meant to ease the process of inter-department information sharing.

That is interesting... Hopefully it doesn't really take off or at least on to the Internet as a whole...

But I find it childish to think that some of you "It's Obama's fault" people are like that this way...

He probably has no involvement... It's probably the NSA that wants something like that so... Which party started the NSA? and which party decided to fund the NSA even further?
Republicans... 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

No one reads the original articles do they?

The OP was highly sensationalized. This isn't meant for access control of the general public's Internet. Its meant to give unified login credentials for various government agencies and departments. Those departments can then use 1 login to access information and databases across various departments, without having to worry about what username and password to use on what agency website.

Essentially, its meant to ease the process of inter-department information sharing.

Still a horrific idea. Having an all in one for access like this makes it way too easy to abuse in the wrong hands. Imagine if your house key, car key, PO BOX key and so on were unified. All it'd take is the wrong person to royally screw your life up. If people can't remember passwords ect, that's their own fault, not the governments incentive to "fix". That is crossing the line and then some over the guise of "it's convenient".

So basically. 

They've restricted movement for many (S**t infrastructure)

Now they are thinking about ID cards.

Then come the curfews

*Cough*Stalin*Cough*

Kolenkhov - "Love is the only thing left in the world."

Martin Vanderhof - "Yeah but there's always plenty of that to go around."

KolenKhov - "And soon Stalin will take that too."

Anybody get this reference?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Still a horrific idea. Having an all in one for access like this makes it way too easy to abuse in the wrong hands. Imagine if your house key, car key, PO BOX key and so on were unified. All it'd take is the wrong person to royally screw your life up. If people can't remember passwords ect, that's their own fault, not the governments incentive to "fix". That is crossing the line and then some over the guise of "it's convenient".

Yes, you do bring up a good point. Giving different agencies cross-site rights can be problematic, especially if someone nosy or with ill intent can dig up personal information using these resources.

Also, I think the idea is supposed to be similar to how Open ID operates. Yes, it is a clever way to manage user authentication. Logistically it makes sense, although there will probably be abuses of the system.

Which does bring up the question: How will rights to personal information be managed and who can access this information?

Well they have a program where your smart toilet scans your butt so you can unlock and take a shit. It's pretty neat. It's like touch ID but even better with your booty.

That Norwegian Guy, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:That Norwegian Guy, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:That Norwegian Guy, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:That Norwegian Guy, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:That Norwegian Guy, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Hey America, the time has finally come to use those "rights" you've been battling to keep; if there ever was a time to get out your guns: this is it.

Yeah I don't think a few rifles in the neighborhood will stop the drones and tanks..

I don't understand why people are overreacting to this. If you actually read it, and research it (The source article is clearly sensationalizing in their titles, I wouldn't say they're credible) you'd understand what the point of the testing is for. This only applies for Government Agency workers, it's not requiring tax-paying citizens to acquire identification to logon to the internet. Nowhere does it say that.

The overall post quality in the Tech News section is disappointing.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

If this happens. The government will have control over the internet. No more free speech and etc.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

maybe its time to move back to South Africa, where the government has the same approach to the world online and that is, " what's the internet ? "