LG says Apple’s 300ppi Retina definition is industry misconception

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone 4, he also introduced us to Apple’s definition of a Retina display. “There’s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around 10 or 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels… text looks like you’ve seen it in a fine printed book.”  That Retina branding has become an industry misconception according to LG, and the company made a point of it during its G3 smartphone unveiling earlier today.

LG’s comments aren’t just relevant when comparing current iPhone models, but also when thinking about what’s planned for iPhone 6. It didn’t mention Apple by name, but it was clear LG was referring to the iPhone and Apple’s 300ppi Retina definition:

There’s one common misunderstanding within the smartphone industry. There’s a misconception that the human eye can only distinguish differences in display quality up to around 300 pixels per inch. However, this is not the case. The human eye can in fact discern differences in display quality above this measure and this is a fact that’s already understood in the printing industry. Today what they consider the best print quality is what LG has achieved with the introduction of its first Quad HD display, as seen in the G3. 

These people totally missed out the part of 10 to 12 inches away

LG also compared an HD display at 269ppi to Full HD at 403ppi and its Quad HD display from the new G3 at 538ppi:

“If it were true that the human eye could only discern differences in display quality up to a maximum off 300 ppi, then you wouldn't be able to notice these differences in clarity and sharpness between the images shown.”

screen-shot-2014-05-27-at-1-24-25-pm.png

Yeah showing the above resolutions spread across in 60" or 70" is the way they support their argument. Idiots!

The current iPhone lineup remains at the 326ppi that was introduced with the iPhone 4 despite later moving to a 4-inch iPhone 5 and introducing scaling modes that improved the overall quality on displays of later models. We recently reported that Apple is currently working on a 3x pixel tripling mode that would likely bring a 1704 x 960 resolution display to the next-generation iPhone. That would give the rumored 4.7-inch model a pixel density of 416 ppi and the 5.5-inch model 356ppi assuming they both use the 1704 x 960 resolution.

​I personally think that LG just wants to get some attention by bringing in some high specs on paper. Personally I don't see any pixelation on my iPhone when compared to HTC One (unless you go really close). Just slapping in a QHD screen on a 5.5" display IMO is a waste. I'd rather have a lower res panel with better battery life.

And I also do think that the iPhone 6's resolution is smart. The resolution would be high enough to view content without any pixelation but not too high that it starts affecting the battery and the GPU load required. Also not to mention the compatibility of existing apps

I don't know why people hate on manufacturers which provide a higher pixel count...IT'S EVOLUTION OF THE MARKET!Why the hell wouldn't you want evolution?The only downside of 1440p on phones right now is the lack of content for it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

k

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

to an extent the whole PPI battle is sort of pointless. frankly as long as phone display is at least as good as the iphone 5, then its cool

the problem with adding ludicrously high resolution makes hard work for everyones, more battery drain, increased performance required to drive the display in games and 3d content, scaling issues with apps that do not support that resolution, etc etc etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I can most certainly tell the difference between my iPhone screen and my one m8. Same goes for my gs3

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

I don't know why people hate on manufacturers which provide a higher pixel count...IT'S EVOLUTION OF THE MARKET!Why the hell wouldn't you want evolution?The only downside of 1440p on phones right now is the lack of content for it.

I agree with your point, but I think you've misunderstood when to use the word 'evolution'.

Animals evolve. Technology advances.

Why don't they develop on something like a better battery instead of bringing in features that causes more problems with almost no difference

the quote from Jobs says 10-12 inches from your face and the phrase 'differentiate pixels'

LG showed this image on an enormous screen for people with different viewing lengths and they think they are making a point?

Also, yes we can tell when an image is sharper quality than 300ppi. The quote they are trying to refute, though, is that you can usually no longer differentiate pixels past that point. 

I honestly don't care about pixel wars, but LG didn't actually refute anything 

I  could only see the pixels really slightly on an iPhone 4 when I was really close to the screen and on a Nexus 5 I really couldn't see a pixel from closeby so I don't get why people want 4K on their phone :/

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I'll take apples retina display over these higher resolution displays any day if it means a smaller phone with better performance and better battery life. 

LG - "Yeah Jobs was full of shit, we totally have bionic eyes that can really see better than motherfucking eagles! All the way to 1440p. Incidentally, did I mention that we just produced one of the most unnecessarily high resolution screens for a mobile device at 1440p?"

LTT Forums - "Yeah but what's it made of?"

LG - "Extremely high quality and durable...plastic"

*room clears*

EDIT: Forgot the second part

-------

Current Rig

-------

I have an iphone 5 and it's battery is beyond bad it is rediculous how can u even say all this stuff when i bet that g3 with its display has a better battery life lol

I have an iphone 5 and it's battery is beyond bad it is rediculous how can u even say all this stuff when i bet that g3 with its display has a better battery life lol

I went from a Note 2 to an iphone 5S and experience better battery life than I did with the Note 2.

I went from a Note 2 to an iphone 5S and experience better battery life than I did with the Note 2.

That has nothing to do with the screen... Any app can quickly drain the battery if it remains running in the background. There are many examples of phones out there with bigger screens and/or bigger PPI that has longer lasting battery life compared to iPhones.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

-MS: "Hold on...One sec...Yes Hi we're doing a live call here, we're calling bullshit!"

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

My Note 2 gets nowhere near as much battery life as that. :(

1) Battery degrades over time

2) This is a standardized test they run precisely because battery is greatly impacted by usage, even seemingly routine days can change usage drastically if Wifi is suddenly not available, if the user runs a more intensive app even for just a few minutes, etc.

No disrespect or anything, I do believe you guys when you say that you personally don't get as good numbers, but I just never really put much weight into anecdotal data vs actual controlled tests.

-------

Current Rig

-------

LG firing shots :o

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

LG firing shots :o

LG becoming a man now hehe.

-MS: "Hold on...One sec...Yes Hi we're doing a live call here, we're calling bullshit!"

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena tests are bullshit. none of the phones last anywhere near what the claim it to be. math never works for battery

gsmarena tests are bullshit. none of the phones last anywhere near what the claim it to be. math never works for battery

I agree.