Hotspot Sharing Monitoring

cornexiors

Hi guys, I'm wondering...
is there any way to monitor the data usage from another computer that is connected to mine via hotspot?
because I'm in a situation where the only internet source for me and my friends is my laptop (which has a WLAN module in it). I want to charge them for the price of the data package that I bought based on the amount of data that they used, but I don't know how to monitor it except by checking it one by one in their laptop network settings (and that's painful to do).

so yeah, if you know something, please tell me

Why not just split the bill 50/50 (or by some other fixed ratio)? That seems fair enough to me.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Why not just split the bill 50/50 (or by some other fixed ratio)? That seems fair enough to me.

well, at first
that was what I was thinking
well, this is also my mistakes
it's actually friends, not friend
so from just one friend, to now with 7 friends

6 minutes ago, cornexiors said:

7 friends

Total bill / 7 = price per friend. 

Typically stuff like this needs just be split equally between people. Like when living with roommates, you don’t charge electricity and water costs based on individual usage. You just divide the cost of all utilities by the amount of people sharing them. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

44 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Total bill / 7 = price per friend. 

Typically stuff like this needs just be split equally between people. Like when living with roommates, you don’t charge electricity and water costs based on individual usage. You just divide the cost of all utilities by the amount of people sharing them. 

kay, that's enough
that's definitely not what I'm asking
and also this is a question that I've kept for quite a time
so pls just tell me, is there any way to monitor the data sharing???

8 minutes ago, cornexiors said:

kay, that's enough
that's definitely not what I'm asking
and also this is a question that I've kept for quite a time
so pls just tell me, is there any way to monitor the data sharing???

I have no idea how you’d do it on a PC that’s sharing internet, I don’t even know how you do that to begin with. This PC is acting as a router? What software are you using to accomplish this? 

If you could run a proper firewall/router on that laptop, such as pfsense or opnsense, you’d be able to monitor how much traffic goes to which IP, set IP’s based on MAC address, and then you’d know how much each device was using. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I have no idea how you’d do it on a PC that’s sharing internet, I don’t even know how you do that to begin with. This PC is acting as a router? What software are you using to accomplish this? 

If you could run a proper firewall/router on that laptop, such as pfsense or opnsense, you’d be able to monitor how much traffic goes to which IP, set IP’s based on MAC address, and then you’d know how much each device was using. 

no, it's a laptop, as I stated in my main question
using the WLAN module, I have connectivity to the internet, and then I shared the connection via Hotspot (just normal hotspot, like on every other laptops)

10 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

btw, which one is easier to setup?
pfsense or opnsense?

no, it's a laptop, as I stated in my main question
using the WLAN module, I have connectivity to the internet, and then I shared the connection via Hotspot (just normal hotspot, like on every other laptops)

What is a WLAN module? How is this setup in software? I have never done this before. 

btw, which one is easier to setup?
pfsense or opnsense?

They are pretty much the same. I’d recommend finding a YouTuber you enjoy watching and can understand well, and then whichever they use. Plenty of YouTube folks who talk about pfsense, and plenty who do opnsense. Find one you like, watch a bunch of their videos, and then you could set it up. Problem is, running them on the laptop may be challenging as there may not be good WiFi driver support, but I would imagine opnsense would have better support since it’s more aimed at that sort of thing. Pfsense is more enterprise. 

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

What is a WLAN module? How is this setup in software? I have never done this before. 

I think they mean WWAN, or a built in cell modem.

OP, I think you're overcomplicating things. If you have that many people sharing one connection, you're better off all chipping in equally for a fixed cell connection (like T-Mobile and Verizon offer in the US). If the data plan on your laptop is metered and only intended for one device, you're going to run into your data cap within a day or two. (Especially if your roommates don't care and start streaming video.)

Edited by Needfuldoer

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, cornexiors said:

I want to charge them for the price of the data package that I bought based on the amount of data that they used,

You might not be able to get that info on the PC. You might have to log in to your providers website and see if they list it. My ISP has a data cap and they have our data usage listed online (not real time usage, takes up to 24 for usage to catch up).

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

You might not be able to get that info on the PC. You might have to log in to your providers website and see if they list it. My ISP has a data cap and they have our data usage listed online (not real time usage, takes up to 24 for usage to catch up).

It's coming from a single PC via hotspot, the website, if it shows anything, will just show that device connected to the cell service.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: