LG says Apple’s 300ppi Retina definition is industry misconception

I don't know why people hate on manufacturers which provide a higher pixel count...IT'S EVOLUTION OF THE MARKET!Why the hell wouldn't you want evolution?The only downside of 1440p on phones right now is the lack of content for it.

Because a higher pixel density is not really needed. It's not as if people wouldn't be able to surf the web on a 720p screen. Battery life is more important to me.

why cant Apple just use a standard resolution like 1080p or 900p or whatever. I just want to watch my videos without black bars.

Because it would mess up their entire OS. Also, I don't see why black bars are such a huge deal to some of you guys, when you're watching your movies on a tiny screen anyway.

Most flagship android phones will dramatically reduce in speed after 1 or 2 years of use.

If you load it up with all sorts of widgets and apps maybe, but so does your PC, if you never do a clean install with only the stuff that you actually use.

I've had my Android phone for more than 3 years now and thanks to the improvements that came with 4.0 and 4.4 and the smart guys over at XDA, it now feels faster than ever.

On the other hand... many Apple users complained after installing IOS 6 and 7 onto older hardware. I am aware of that, because I use both IOS and Android every single day.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

I rarely charge my phone every night. There is no need to. I typically get around 6 hours of constant use on it with brightness set to automatic so it usually lasts two days. Are you glued to the thing?

No but I have the brightness down to lowest and if I'm in safari for every 10min I loose 10% of charge.

I can't even bother to read threads about phones because most if not all people bitching have used 1,2 maybe 3 different phones and they instantly become mobile experts.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I can't even bother to read threads about phones because most if not all people bitching have used 1,2 maybe 3 different phones and they instantly become mobile experts.

Then don't read threads then, nobody is forcing to you. If you want information, read the original post and leave, or else read the thread and don't bitch about it because you should expect this from the internet by now (you've read other threads with phone arguments, it's not like its new to you).

Anyhow, addressing the original post, the OP is correct in his arguments, LG completely missed the viewing distance therefore, their argument is invalid (If you don't completely read the problem, how are you going to find the correct solution?). There is objective evidence that supports Apple's Retina claim. This site:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2010/06/10/resolving_the_iphone_resolution.html

Analyzed the 'Retina' claim made by Apple and proves it using scientific methods. Even I, a 16 year old, can attest to the proofs, if you've learned sight and wave phenomenon in physics, you understand that the proof is valid and correct. Vsauce also address the issue in this video: 

Overall, many of you forget that Steve Jobs made the claim with a specific distance. I agree that we still require higher density displays (such as for Oculus Rift) but when it comes to phones that are held at 10-12 inches from the eyes, 300ppi is enough. You may want more but you are just wasting money and time by doing so.  

Then don't read threads then, nobody is forcing to you. If you want information, read the original post and leave, or else read the thread and don't bitch about it because you should expect this from the internet by now (you've read other threads with phone arguments, it's not like its new to you).

Anyhow, addressing the original post, the OP is correct in his arguments, LG completely missed the viewing distance therefore, their argument is invalid (If you don't completely read the problem, how are you going to find the correct solution?). There is objective evidence that supports Apple's Retina claim. This site:

Analyzed the 'Retina' claim made by Apple and proves it using scientific methods. Even I, a 16 year old, can attest to the proofs, if you've learned sight and wave phenomenon in physics, you understand that the proof is valid and correct. Vsauce also address the issue in this video: 

Overall, many of you forget that Steve Jobs made the claim with a specific distance. I agree that we still require higher density displays (such as for Oculus Rift) but when it comes to phones that are held at 10-12 inches from the eyes, 300ppi is enough. You may want more but you are just wasting money and time by doing so.  

You're a little dick. And my point still stands.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

I personally don't care about anything above 1080p on phone screens. I think it is pointless. I'd rather see a desktop display with 300 ppi than a phone with 600.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2010/06/10/resolving_the_iphone_resolution.html

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/notes-by-dr-optoglass-the-resolution-of-the-human-eye/

That video is full of shit.

bye! seriously i dont call myself an expert people just struggle to differentiate between opinion and fact

you realise that that articale backs up the whole 300ppi

If the average reading distance is 1 foot (12 inches = 305 mm), p @0.4 arc minute is 35.5 microns or about 720 ppi/dpi. p @1 arc minute is 89 microns or about 300 dpi/ppi. This is why magazines are printed at 300 dpi – it’s good enough for most people.

yes people could see more but they dont need to its not the be all and end all

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

you realise that that articale backs up the whole 300ppi

yes people could see more but they dont need to its not the be all and end all

"@1 arc minute, it is 876 ppi (dpi)"

He specifically says 300 is good enough, but the max for 20/20 is 720-876. Tech moves forward and the difference between even 300 and 400 is worth it. There is no reason to stop because it's good enough. 256kb RAM used to be good enough. 1GB used to be all you'd ever need.

This is pretty much it.  Except that I would have to say there are one or two people here like @LAwLz who seem quite objective and unbiased with their posts.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"@1 arc minute, it is 876 ppi (dpi)"

He specifically says 300 is good enough, but the max for 20/20 is 720-876. Tech moves forward and the difference between even 300 and 400 is worth it. There is no reason to stop because it's good enough. 256kb RAM used to be good enough. 1GB used to be all you'd ever need.

totaly different thing. we need more ram because our systems are ever moving forward and programs as they get more complex need more ram to run. if the most any system could ever use in one go was 4gb then yes 8 would be pointless. our eyes, on the ohter hand, will not ever go above 720ppi. ever there not going ot change or a better version isnt going to be "released". and like it said 300ppi is all that most people need.  so why go higher at the expense of something else be it battery life or some other inovation.  how about less ppi and better power consumption. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Another thing is... If you don't like it don't buy it. There's so many other phones to meet what you want so stop bitching about the phones doing something different that maybe other people want. World doesn't make products just for you whiney babies.

Bring on a 1000 ppi phone and I'll gladly buy it.