LG says Apple’s 300ppi Retina definition is industry misconception

gsmarena tests are bullshit. none of the phones last anywhere near what the claim it to be. math never works for battery

Math never works for battery???

Try explaining that to engineers... smh

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

I can tell that an iPhone has significantly less resolution that's a no brainer. But one thing iPhone displays does better than almost all other is colour. Credit where credit is due.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Everyone relax! According to the console community, resolution is just a number, just like pixel density is a number.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Math never works for battery???

Try explaining that to engineers... smh

I'm an electrical engineer, it makes sense.

Batteries are like any reversible chemical reaction, there is never a 100% reaction, reactions are never the same. Batteries degrade at different rates depending on how much of the reactants fail to reverse back to ions.

Theres a lot of random factors that are almost impossible to accurately predict, all you can do is look at averages

Everyone relax! According to the console community, resolution is just a number, just like pixel density is a number.

Oh my god that joke stopped being funny a week ago.

STAAAAHHHPPPPP

More pixels in devices is better. However...

With $700 4K monitors popping up, at least 2.5K monitors have come down in price a bit. Would still like to see more of a price cut.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't know why people hate on manufacturers which provide a higher pixel count...IT'S EVOLUTION OF THE MARKET!Why the hell wouldn't you want evolution?The only downside of 1440p on phones right now is the lack of content for it.

another downside is reduced battery life

Perfectly happy with my GS3's 720 display here...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

k

lol.. facepalm

the quote from Jobs says 10-12 inches from your face and the phrase 'differentiate pixels'

LG showed this image on an enormous screen for people with different viewing lengths and they think they are making a point?

Also, yes we can tell when an image is sharper quality than 300ppi. The quote they are trying to refute, though, is that you can usually no longer differentiate pixels past that point. 

I honestly don't care about pixel wars, but LG didn't actually refute anything 

I  could only see the pixels really slightly on an iPhone 4 when I was really close to the screen and on a Nexus 5 I really couldn't see a pixel from closeby so I don't get why people want 4K on their phone :/

LG - "Yeah Jobs was full of shit, we totally have bionic eyes that can really see better than motherfucking eagles! All the way to 1440p. Incidentally, did I mention that we just produced one of the most unnecessarily high resolution screens for a mobile device at 1440p?"

LTT Forums - "Yeah but what's it made of?"

LG - "Extremely high quality and durable...plastic"

*room clears*

EDIT: Forgot the second part

-MS: "Hold on...One sec...Yes Hi we're doing a live call here, we're calling bullshit!"

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

1, You guys are full of shit. The limit is about 600ppi for average vision (20/20). They teach this to optical engineers during their schooling school, this is a verifiable proven fact. 

Also GSMArenas battery testing is uttershit. They set brightness at 50% which heavily penalizes brighter phones and helps the dimmer phones. Samsung is consistently among the least bright and iPhones are consistently among the most. http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8004/63479.png

I like the people saying they'll take their iPhone and better battery life. The G2 can run for two full days for casual users with its 1080pness. iPhone users are always connected to a wall with their sub 2000mah battery.

Well now we are pushing beyond that they need to justify it somehow, if I can have a 4K display on my fucking phone at a lower price than one on my desk I'm going to assail somebody. :lol:

1, You guys are full of shit. The limit is about 600ppi for average vision (20/20). They teach this to optical engineers during their schooling school, this is a verifiable proven fact. 

Also GSMArenas battery testing is uttershit. They set brightness at 50% which heavily penalizes brighter phones and helps the dimmer phones. Samsung is consistently among the least bright and iPhones are consistently among the most. http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8004/63479.png

yeah kinda

good read

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7743/the-pixel-density-race-and-its-technical-merits

http://www.itcexperts.net/library/Capability%20of%20the%20human%20visual%20system.pdf

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't even know what he's trying to prove, I can't tell the difference between his picture of 1080 and 1440

I don't know why people hate on manufacturers which provide a higher pixel count...IT'S EVOLUTION OF THE MARKET!Why the hell wouldn't you want evolution?The only downside of 1440p on phones right now is the lack of content for it.

Battery life and processing power is wasted.

I feel the battery should have been atleast 3200 seeing how huge the screen is.

I believe Austin Evans mentioned this (though I could be wrong, it was a while back): even if you can't distinguish the individual pixels on either screen, a higher resolution display with higher resolution content will look clearer/sharper/better than a lower resolution screen with lower resolution content. If the G3's large battery and other hardware can support the higher resolution screen without causing huge reductions in other aspects such as battery life or increases in price, then why wouldn't they put the higher resolution screen on there? Now, I don't know if that actually IS the case, but the higher resolution screen WILL make the image sharper regardless of whether you could see pixels before.

All that said, it is ALSO the case that the difference will be fairly small. The proportional difference in the number of pixels (a rough estimate of the difference in power consumption) between 1440p and 1080p is the same as the difference between 1080p and (hypothetically) 810p, but I'm certain that most people would notice a much larger difference with the second jump than the first. It's up to LG to decide when the trade off is worth it, and it's up to the consumer to decide whether they want the resultant product, but there's no way increasing the resolution will have no impact on other aspects so there will always be some people who would have preferred a lower resolution in order to increase battery life.

Apples pixel density in the iphone 5 is a joke imo

Apples pixel density in the iphone 5 is a joke imo

You may think its a joke but I think it's a joke how overly saturated most cell phone screens are. Go look at some websites on a color calibrated monitor then look at them on something like a GS5. The GS5 and other Samsung phones are so off in color it's sad. They can make a red pastel look like a fire truck.

It's funny, but pretty much every reviewer that's had one has said that media looks much better (even amazing to some) on the 1440p display. I'll take the word of people that review phones all the time, and have actually seen the device over everyone on this forum who decides to be armchair engineers.

They said the OS and such don't really get ant benefit from the higher resolution, which makes sense as most of it is optimized for 1080p.

I'll take apples retina display over these higher resolution displays any day if it means a smaller phone with better performance and better battery life. 

It doesn't..

I feel the battery should have been atleast 3200 seeing how huge the screen is.

I wish! I think they had to make it smaller to accommodate it's removability. I guess it's a decent trade off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You may think its a joke but I think it's a joke how overly saturated most cell phone screens are. Go look at some websites on a color calibrated monitor then look at them on something like a GS5. The GS5 and other Samsung phones are so off in color it's sad. They can make a red pastel look like a fire truck.

I'm guessing that you either own an iPhone or work in design/arts field of some kind, but that is a legitimately crap excuse for having a low pixel density.

Samsung is becoming more like Apple in terms of it's phones, so i wouldn't use a GGS5 as a primer example for comparing here. I'm not defending it's colour saturation whatsoever, but I wouldn't buy a samsunug myself. I managed to pick up a Sony Xperia Z1 for $350 off ebay in almost new condition, because the bloke wasn't used to an android OS and was going back to an iOS phone. His loss, my very large gain :D

However I cite this comparison (from phonearena) between a Motorola Moto G and an iPhone 5s.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G,Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/8208%2C7710

I'm not saying that the screens are the same in anyway, but consider the cost of these two phones and the fact that the specs are so similar, a rational person would buy the Motorola Moto G on those facts.

I went from a Note 2 to an iphone 5S and experience better battery life than I did with the Note 2.

are you sure, that just cant be corrent, the iphone has nearly half the mah, the amount of watts it uses when under load is close as well, there is no way you got less with the note 2 unless you had a faulty battery

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'm guessing that you either own an iPhone or work in design/arts field of some kind, but that is a legitimately crap excuse for having a low pixel density.

Samsung is becoming more like Apple in terms of it's phones, so i wouldn't use a GGS5 as a primer example for comparing here. I'm not defending it's colour saturation whatsoever, but I wouldn't buy a samsunug myself. I managed to pick up a Sony Xperia Z1 for $350 off ebay in almost new condition, because the bloke wasn't used to an android OS and was going back to an iOS phone. His loss, my very large gain :D

However I cite this comparison (from phonearena) between a Motorola Moto G and an iPhone 5s.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G,Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/8208%2C7710

I'm not saying that the screens are the same in anyway, but consider the cost of these two phones and the fact that the specs are so similar, a rational person would buy the Motorola Moto G on those facts.

You're talking about screen resolution in terms of screen real estate like how it is on computers. On a mobile screen as long as you don't see any pixelation in your content the resolution is good enough. 

Sony Xperia Z1 has comparatively very bad panel. Everything tends to look washed out, so colour accuracy > no. of pixels (>300 ppi) anyday. General consumers who've used an iPhone before tends to continue using an iPhone because of its simplicity and its long lasting quality. Most flagship android phones will dramatically reduce in speed after 1 or 2 years of use. So, if you look at his perspective and the satisfaction he's getting from his simple, compact, good looking phone with a lot of support from Apple you're the bloke here,

Are you stupid to compare iPhone specs with an android phone????

Almost all tech enthusiasts knows never to compare android and iPhone specs. Why because apparently Apple's dual core A7 chip clocked at 1.3 GHz is almost on par with Quad core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.5 Ghz. It's like Intel and AMD. 

People who do have common sense, do know the limitation of Moto G when compared to an iPhone and believe me the performance of my secondary Moto G is no where close to my iPhone 5

And I also do think that the iPhone 6's resolution is smart. The resolution would be high enough to view content without any pixelation but not too high that it starts affecting the battery and the GPU load required. Also not to mention the compatibility of existing apps

Sorry but I disagree. The battery life of iPhones has been just as bad as that of competitors who had already implemented 1080p displays. Also, 1704x960 is just ludicrous. It matches no standard ever conceived (save for a couple of hd dvds which used 852x480, which is another poorly used and dead standard), which means movies will always have to be stretched or scaled on it. The compatibility wouldn't have been such a problem if Apple had anticipated to developers that there might be shifts in resolution and format with time, so developers could have implemented customizable resolutions like android devs do.

I also agree that "retina" is just a marketing tag and holds no real world value (so what if I CAN see all dem pixels on a retina screen from 10"? Am I not human?), but the way LG "proved" it, as you said, makes no sense. The printer argument however does sort of make sense as you can most definitely tell the difference between 300dpi and 600dpi prints.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you stupid to compare iPhone specs with an android phone????

Almost all tech enthusiasts knows never to compare android and iPhone specs. Why because apparently Apple's dual core A7 chip clocked at 1.3 GHz is almost on par with Quad core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.5 Ghz. It's like Intel and AMD. 

People who do have common sense, do know the limitation of Moto G when compared to an iPhone and believe me the performance of my secondary Moto G is no where close to my iPhone 5

You can't compare core count, but you can compare benchmark results. And as you said, the A7 is ALMOST en par with a 2.5 ghz quad core which is run by a 300$ phone (1+1).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*