Apple’s new “Why Upgrade - See What You’re Missing” page

Summary

Apple has created a page on their websites where the user enters their current iPhone model and gets a list of reasons to upgrade to the 15-series. Interestingly, currently only the 11- or 12-series are selectable. The user then picks one of four iPhone 15-series models, and the list is generated with reasons to upgrade. It’s similar to the older “Compare” feature, but this new page only shows the differences.

Quotes

“The new “Why Upgrade” page on Apple’s website shows users of some older iOS models what features they’d get if they traded up to the latest iPhone 15 series.  The tool says “See what you’re missing“ in hopes of convincing shoppers that it’s time to move on from handsets introduced in 2019 or 2020.” - Cult of Mac

My thoughts

Honestly I feel like Apple is getting a bit desperate to get users to buy new products, the title screams of desperation of wanting to give users FOMO. I’m a big tech nerd who usually wants the best, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max from 2020 is still serving me great. I know a lot of users are feeling the same way (maybe not on this forum though): that their smartphone is good enough - so why upgrade? If Apple made product that was innovative and revolutionary for real, then they wouldn’t need a list with all the subtle differences for the average user. My conspiracy theory is that the old “Compare” tool showed how much each “new” generation had in common with the previous generations, and that’s why they want to hide it and only display the differences. Also, wanting to give users FOMO by using their devices that are just a few years old is VERY hypocritical considering all their environmental focus.

Sources

https://www.cultofmac.com/851469/apple-highlights-reasons-to-upgrade-latest-iphone-2/ 

8 minutes ago, creat0r said:

Direct link to Apple’s page: https://www.apple.com/iphone/why-upgrade/ 

What I gather from this website is that even Apple doesn't recommend upgrading phones unless your phone is at least 3 generations old.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

You're missing out on: No headphone jack, no physical home button, no fingerprint sensor, no love life.

No thanks Apple. I'll stick to my 6s until it stops working on AT&T's network.

4 hours ago, creat0r said:

My thoughts

Honestly I feel like Apple is getting a bit desperate to get users to buy new products, the title screams of desperation of wanting to give users FOMO. I’m a big tech nerd who usually wants the best, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max from 2020 is still serving me great.

My Xs is perfectly fine, I replaced the battery a month ago. It should be fine for the forseeable future until 5G is fully rolled out.

I would strongly suggest people not upgrade their phones unless it's actually broken. If it still works, it will be fine until the radio technology changes. 

"Yeah, we're gonna offer you six to eight years of software support, but we'd really like you to upgrade your phone after three years. Why? Money, me boy!"

Also, hilarious how they're spinning the inclusion of USB-C as a reason to upgrade. And how exactly do I charge my PC with a USB-C cable, Apple?

image.png.86ae3d6d38098a23ba150e6afd33b4e5.png

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

6 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

What I gather from this website is that even Apple doesn't recommend upgrading phones unless your phone is at least 3 generations old.

AND only 11 or 12 series as of now

I guess maybe they don't have any optimism about selling a new phone to iPhone X, and earlier, users.

I have an 11, and honestly a 15 still feels like a meh upgrade considering the cost. The biggest deal feels like USB-C charging, and being able to get rid of my lighting cables. I'll probably stick with the 11 until it stops receiving security updates.   

Nice marketing initiative, non-techy people should be provided with this kind of real-world information and not be at the mercy of nerdy relatives that usually give very bad advice when it comes to mobile devices (see some of the posts here).

Untitled.png.0c532a07f49f2e5b1dcea5711c31f3b2.png

Is this apple admitting the glass back on their phones was a bad idea?

In any case.... I'm looking at that page and only someone completely in the cult of apple would think these talking points are any good arguments in favor of an upgrade.

"You get free, temporary iCloud storage to transfer your data to your new iPhone. "

Oh boy, how generous to let people temporarily  have higher storage capacity for free when they need to transfer data on their new phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It makes me really happy to hear peoples stories of refusing to buy new iPhones/smartphones.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Untitled.png.0c532a07f49f2e5b1dcea5711c31f3b2.png

Is this apple admitting the glass back on their phones was a bad idea?

In any case.... I'm looking at that page and only someone completely in the cult of apple would think these talking points are any good arguments in favor of an upgrade.

"You get free, temporary iCloud storage to transfer your data to your new iPhone. "

Oh boy, how generous to let people temporarily  have higher storage capacity for free when they need to transfer data on their new phone.

There's still glass on the back of iPhones. The aluminum refers to the frame. If the back was aluminum, it'd have trouble with wireless charging.

I don't think you have to be a diehard Apple fan to see value in the talking points... with that said, if you're using an iPhone 11 or 12, you also don't really need this page to sell you on an upgrade.

Recently replaced the battery on my iPhone 11. Definitely no need to upgrade here. 

Though, I’m a little irritated that I missed out on being able to procure OEM parts by one model year. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I like it. This tells me phones are now at the point where average Joe doesn't feel like he needs a new phone every 2 years.

People never go out of business.

13 hours ago, Kisai said:

My Xs is perfectly fine, I replaced the battery a month ago.

Wait. I thought that was impossible with evil glued batteries. What sorcery is this?

19 hours ago, da na said:

"You're missing out on:

76mp 5th camera

"

pretty much. 

I love how they don't have my iPhone X in the list. Guess apple thinks I don't need to upgrade 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

pretty much. 

I love how they don't have my iPhone X in the list. Guess apple thinks I don't need to upgrade 

They assume you already upgraded. Because no Apple user proper would be caught dead using a last gen iphone. Much less one that is several generations old. /s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

They assume you already upgraded. Because no Apple user proper would be caught dead using a last gen iphone. Much less one that is several generations old. /s

it's the best iPhone I ever bought. Still works great 6.5 years later (yes, I bought it on launch day!) xD 

They increased the price to $1000 and my reaction literally was: "guess I can keep this phone for longer!" 

But I will say that's not the play, the play is to buy a REALLY NICE 2 year old phone for about half original price (maybe a smidge more) and keep it for 4 years. I think that's the best balance! (almost like a car?)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This isn't really "news".

There seems to be an odd connection between reporting on minute details and disliking people/companies.

Not sure if Apple is more desperate to sell phones or people are desperate to talk about Apple.

5 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Wait. I thought that was impossible with evil glued batteries. What sorcery is this?

I dunno, ask the Apple Store.

iFixit:

• The battery is secured to the rear case by four pieces of stretch-release adhesive—one under the upper area of the battery, and three under the lower area.

•  

Each piece of adhesive has a black pull-tab at the end, which is lightly adhered to the side edge of the battery.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:16 PM, creat0r said:

Also, wanting to give users FOMO by using their devices that are just a few years old is VERY hypocritical considering all their environmental focus.

FOMO is their entire business model. Especially with this push of being a “luxury brand”

And for a while people didn’t want to miss out on the latest and greatest because the latest did a better job of meeting their needs.

Now? “Yeah I’m good, thanks.”

EDIT: tried the tool myself, and literally the only compelling reason for me is the faster chip, I don’t care about the camera stuff. But even then it’s not worth the over $1100 Canadian buckaroos.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

There's no need to put any complex reasoning.

Just "Fresh full new battery" is enough

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition