Apple’s new “Why Upgrade - See What You’re Missing” page

I ran my XS Max 256GB for nearly 5 years before I broke it by accident. I would still be using it. I moved into a 14 Pro 1TB and no regrats.

Op and a few others are just hopping on an Apple hating bandwagon that gives them the warm and fuzzies.

Love my phone btw, its awesome.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

I ran my XS Max 256GB for nearly 5 years before I broke it by accident. I would still be using it. I moved into a 14 Pro 1TB and no regrats.

Op and a few others are just hopping on an Apple hating bandwagon that gives them the warm and fuzzies.

Love my phone btw, its awesome.

It‘s insane how so many that have replied here get the HW renew-cycle of Apple products and customer behavior horribly wrong.

This thread is nothing but hot air.

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

It‘s insane how so many that have replied here get the HW renew-cycle of Apple products and customer behavior horribly wrong.

Yeah I don't think I've seen many people that genuinely upgrade every 1-3 years, especially on iOS. They have decent  support on the software side for their phones afaik and Android has only recently caught up. That being said I understand where they're coming from, as needing a site to tell people how different the new phone is from their 3 year old phone is a little sad. I also don't like that it's not very informative as far as comparison sites go and is still entangled in Apple marketing B.S.

5 hours ago, Dracarris said:

As opposed to your comment, which makes a ton of accusations but no attempt to further elaborate on anything. Kinda like always when the topic of Apple comes up. So tell us, what's your take on Apple highlighting reasons to upgrade not for customers who are still using phones that would benefit the most from an upgrade, like say, the ones who are looking at getting stuck on the next iteration of iOS, which would be the XR/XS models, but the ones who are still looking at a few updates? As I pointed out in my comment, Apple are quick to tell you that they'll support your devices for six to eight years. So why tell people with an iPhone 12 about what they're missing out on, but not those with an iPhone XR/XS, or heck, those stuck on iOS 16, like the 8 and X, which will likely get dropped soon?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

9 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Apple is keen on people upgrading their iPhones. Has anyone seen some of their latest advertising?

FullSizeRender-compressed.mov 16.98 MB · 1 download

The guilt and shame tactic is a dicey move by Apple. This has a chance to backfire on Apple for feeding a data hoarding habit with such messaging.

23 minutes ago, StDragon said:

The guilt and shame tactic is a dicey move by Apple. This has a chance to backfire on Apple for feeding a data hoarding habit with such messaging.

Backfire? That sounds like a money making opportunity for apple, by either paying for more storage on new iPhones, or even better, a recurring revenue stream through iCloud+ and cloud storage.

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Backfire? That sounds like a money making opportunity for apple, by either paying for more storage on new iPhones, or even better, a recurring revenue stream through iCloud+ and cloud storage.

The reasoning is obvious. But it actually angers me that guilt and shame would be used vs a rational and uplifting message as to why anyone should opt for more storage. But noooo, delete those images to free up space and instantly you're an awful human being.

5 hours ago, StDragon said:

The reasoning is obvious. But it actually angers me that guilt and shame would be used vs a rational and uplifting message as to why anyone should opt for more storage. But noooo, delete those images to free up space and instantly you're an awful human being.

Delete life memories? You complete monster!

It's an awfully weak and pathetic ad campaign, how about make a video that shows people how to copy/backup photos to their PC for no extra or additional ongoing cost? Nah, buy a new iPhone with still paltry storage on the base model necessitating that kind of user/consumer education they never bother to actually try and educate/inform.

But also yes not every photo needs to be kept.

Whenever it's "pay more money" it's typically never in the best interest of the consumer.