Intel exiting the PC Business as it stops investment in the Intel NUC

26astr00

INTEL-NUC-HERO-BANNER-1200x547.jpg

Summary

Intel nuked the NUC.

(More seriously: Intel will stop making NUC products and hopes its partners will step up to take over the mini-PC space.)

Quotes

We have decided to stop direct investment in the Next Unit of Compute (NUC) Business and pivot our strategy to enable our ecosystem partners to continue NUC innovation and growth. This decision will not impact the remainder of Intel’s Client Computing Group (CCG) or Network and Edge Computing (NEX) businesses. Furthermore, we are working with our partners and customers to ensure a smooth transition and fulfillment of all our current commitments.

My thoughts

It's a shame given they were doing a pretty good job at it. Hope more manufacturers join the mini-PC space going forward.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-sunsets-next-unit-of-compute-nuc-product-line

Following the sell of its server business to MiTAC, the axe has come for the small form factor PC (NUC) division of the company.

Quotes

Intel NUCs are awesome. These mini PCs have really defined a space serving as everything from desktops to portable VMware/ Ubuntu/ and other enterprise software cluster nodes, to even being the backbone of Enterprise Restaurant Compute with Kubernetes at Chick-fil-A. The small size, and to be very frank, Intel’s support of the platform has made them very popular. There is a gap between the support experience with an Intel NUC and many of the mini PC vendors that exist today.

Over the years, the Intel NUC line has expanded to much larger form factors, even encompassing Intel Xeon CPUs in chassis large enough to have GPUs as well. If anything the NUC line has grown over the years from small boxes to all kinds of form factors.

That has led to a strange market dynamic. As it was doing in the server business, Intel was in a position to compete with its major OEM customers. That brings us to the key question: does Intel add value by competing on motherboard and chassis design, rather than chip design? For the past few years as the mini PC space has flourished perhaps the answer has been no.

As Intel focuses on streamlining its business, it seems like those parts of the organization that are not core to making and selling chips are being slowly sunset or sold off, which is not out of the industry trends of internal consolidation of the business divisions. The OEM market is more than capable of absorbing the demand for SFF boxes.

Source: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-exiting-the-pc-business-as-it-stops-investment-in-the-intel-nuc/

What is actually surprising is that they stuck with NUC business for this long. They had some cool products but I personally never seen NUCs deployed or even seen one with my own eyes.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

What is actually surprising is that they stuck with NUC business for this long. They had some cool products but I personally never seen NUCs deployed or even seen one with my own eyes.

Yeah, cool product but limited usecase, considering that you could often buy whilelaptops with the same specs for prices that weren't much higher, or buy a substantially more powerful PC. The niche ofnpeople who arent buyingmac minis or raspi or older sff's from eBay(Dell, Lenovo, hp etc)is small.

14 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Yeah, cool product but limited usecase, considering that you could often buy whilelaptops with the same specs for prices that weren't much higher, or buy a substantially more powerful PC. The niche ofnpeople who arent buyingmac minis or raspi or older sff's from eBay(Dell, Lenovo, hp etc)is small.

NUC customers were usually business customers. They were used in a large number for meeting rooms and such.

23 minutes ago, Levent said:

I've seen plenty of them, but they all got replaced during the covid pandemic with better and cheaper hardware from Lenovo.

I actually have one running next to me right now.

I saw Intel's NUCs as more like a demonstrator device than a serious product offering, in that it was never intended for volume. Now that the door has been opened there are many offerings in that space in the general market, so there isn't a real need for Intel to keep making them.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Sad times. I've deployed many NUCs across our organization. Half of the "third party" vendors that sell their variant of the mini-pc form factor don't seem to have as good of quality control, and when/if there's ever an issue that could turn into RMA status... it's tough getting in contact with someone and when you do, takes weeks to get something resolved.

So.. on the topic. What do you all recommend as a good contender in the "mini pc" market? All of the ASUS ones seem sold out at the moment. What Lenovo are you referring to, @Senzelian?

33 minutes ago, Levent said:

They had some cool products but I personally never seen NUCs deployed or even seen one with my own eyes.

This is because they are so small they fit anywhere out of sight!

30 minutes ago, NinJake said:

So.. on the topic. What do you all recommend as a good contender in the "mini pc" market? All of the ASUS ones seem sold out at the moment. What Lenovo are you referring to, @Senzelian?

Lenovo ThinkCentre. Lenovo offers many different versions starting from around 200€.

I think the Q series is the small one, not sure, but you'll see what I mean when searching for them.

They all look like this:

image.thumb.png.c7343965c4c38b57c75969e19eec1e90.png

Edit:
I actually just noticed you were also deploying NUCs or used to. Either way, one device that might be interesting to anyone deploying them for meeting rooms is the Lenovo Think Smart Hub:

image.thumb.png.54ef04f484366e656e375085c47f2d0a.png

We have thousands of these deployed and they all work great for small to medium sized Teams meeting rooms.

They're in a bunch of products you'd have to remove the cases to see. Seen them in a number of spots, but this isn't surprising. When they got stuck on 14nm, they expanded a lot of other businesses beyond what they really should have done.  Though I suspect they'll still make reference board designs for the space, they'll just not produce full products themselves.  i.e. the Nvidia/AMD model.

Don't worry, give it about 5 years and they'll be back in the computer manufacturing business. They and most every other businesses, especially  manufacturers go through trends due to popularity(and ego).

41 minutes ago, NinJake said:

So.. on the topic. What do you all recommend as a good contender in the "mini pc" market?

If it's a home system (or even a work machine), a Mac mini — no kidding. Speedy for the size, compact and extremely quiet. The M2 Pro version is even quick enough for some serious creative work.

With that said, for edge computing or similar tasks... go with a mini PC from Lenovo and other brands. The Mac mini can be used for some services like that, but it's not really meant for them.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I've only ever seen one NUC, there seems to be no market for real NUCs anymore with the sheer amount of cheap Windows mini PCs

@26astr00 @DuckDodgers

I've merged your threads. As both are bit lacking on personal input part of our guidelines and posted within 10 minutes, can't really give credit to either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well thats a shame, those were pretty good high end mini pcs with a unique look, better than Dell Alienware for sure! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Levent said:

I have.  The Taco Bell I worked at in high school used one of the tiny Celeron NUCs to power their drive-thru & kitchen displays.

None of them ran well but that wasn't really the NUC's fault.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

9 hours ago, porina said:

I saw Intel's NUCs as more like a demonstrator device than a serious product offering, in that it was never intended for volume. Now that the door has been opened there are many offerings in that space in the general market, so there isn't a real need for Intel to keep making them.

I saw it as a way for them to leverage the laptop parts to try and sell them as desktops. Unfortunately, as always, Intel still fails to realize the iGPU offering is a colossal joke and a "NUC" device has barely utility without a dGPU. Even "business" SFF systems are only barely better than the same chip in a 12-14" laptop. 

Ultimately I never saw a reason why someone would buy one of these over a laptop except to maybe get a better cooling option that makes less noise.

IIRC they also exited the storage and server market, but are entering the GPU market, and possibly also chip manufacturing market (as a subcontractor).

Interesting direction changes under new management. Although I guess it makes sense. Intel is a chip company, and they want to focus on that instead of whole systems.

Especially given that Intel was only in a small subset of the system integrator market, putting them at a disadvantage compared to larger players.

NUCs were always overpriced in the miniPC space.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

I saw it as a way for them to leverage the laptop parts to try and sell them as desktops. Unfortunately, as always, Intel still fails to realize the iGPU offering is a colossal joke and a "NUC" device has barely utility without a dGPU. Even "business" SFF systems are only barely better than the same chip in a 12-14" laptop. 

Ultimately I never saw a reason why someone would buy one of these over a laptop except to maybe get a better cooling option that makes less noise.

What is the use case you're thinking of? From other's posts in this thread it seems they have found utility in some business cases. For much general business use, heavy 3D performance is simply not needed. The form factor also plays a part, and a laptop may simply be unsuitable for many use cases.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

What is the use case you're thinking of? From other's posts in this thread it seems they have found utility in some business cases. For much general business use, heavy 3D performance is simply not needed. The form factor also plays a part, and a laptop may simply be unsuitable for many use cases.

POS terminal in a small room used to sell things like stationary or uniforms at a school with a monitor securely mounted on a VESA arm. A laptop isn't a replacement for that and is just going to get damaged. Laptops really are personal devices more than shared or kiosk.

20 hours ago, Senzelian said:

NUC customers were usually business customers. They were used in a large number for meeting rooms and such.

Never ever seen an Intel NUC for that. Most of them would use something from Lenovo or Dell.

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Never ever seen an Intel NUC for that. Most of them would use something from Lenovo or Dell.

We had NUCs running for meeting rooms, digital signage and training rooms for over 110k employees. So yeah, definitely used for that.

RE: Innovation in the small form factor e.g. Intel Xeon, and recently the popular (sold out in UK) all-NVME ASUSTOR NAS

I think with Intel leaving the space, and thus sales numbers (scaling production up = lower production cost per unit), revenue & potential profits, will open up the space for some more innovation and risk taking by ODMs and OEMs together.

I, for one, would love to buy a silent small form factor, capable all-NVMe NAS, for a document SMB, with configurable RAM and CPU (to spin up a VM, for some docker images) and space for 2 slot GPU for plex/jellyfin acceleration. The new ASUSTOR version without the configurability is a good start, but not good enough for the enthusiast space: people would love to have a homelab server, but don't have the space, and would not be able to tolerate the heat and noise from a refurbished workstation or 2U server. Not everyone under 40 in the EU has a McMansion and cheap electricity. #GenerationRent #Flatshare   

21 hours ago, porina said:

Thinking of the use case of pairing one with a RTX 3070/4070 to use in engineering setups. Like NUC's are actually too overpowered with the iGPU to use a thin-client, but too weak to actually run business software on them when the GPU performance is too weak to operate the web browser and software built on Electron.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Thinking of the use case of pairing one with a RTX 3070/4070 to use in engineering setups.

I used to run an acoustic test lab in my last job. Fixed systems that cared about performance had desktops. The only NUCs that could fit in this use case are the taller ones with a daughterboard and dGPU in SFF case, but that's pretty niche for volume reduction. More flexible uses were laptops with iGPU only.

The few engineers that actually ran simulations got desktop replacement class laptops.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Like NUC's are actually too overpowered with the iGPU to use a thin-client, but too weak to actually run business software on them when the GPU performance is too weak to operate the web browser and software built on Electron.

The vast majority of business laptops run iGPU. It's plenty for web apps.