Amazon is releasing a new Tomb Raider

wickiwick

Summary

Amazon is creating a new TombRaider game with Crystal Dynamics as part of their Amazon Games library. It’ll be their first AAA single player storyline game, and it’s being made by a game studio that knows what they’re doing!

Quotes

Amazon Games and Crystal Dynamics today announced they have reached an agreement under which Crystal Dynamics will develop a new multiplatform Tomb Raider title, with Amazon Games providing full support and publishing the game globally.

The as-yet-untitled new Tomb Raider game is a single-player, narrative-driven adventure that continues Lara Croft’s story in the Tomb Raider series.

My thoughts

I’m excited to try this game. It’s awesome that they were able to continue the Laura croft storyline and work with Crystal Dynamics to ensure the quality is up to par with the rest of the Tomb Raider franchise. I’m also really excited to see the power of Unreal Engine 5 in a game like Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is Linus’s go to game for HDR demonstration, but like he mentioned recently, it “doesn’t look bad for a ten year old game.” Unreal Engine 5 will provide an even higher quality experience while being up-to-date on new technologies!

Sources

https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/news/articles/amazon-games-crystal-dynamics-tomb-raider

So Lara is now an employee at a warehouse and you spend 20 hours trying to get out of there alive. It'll have a stealth mission side quest that will involve getting to the toilet without Bezos noticing you.

To be honest, it's not surprising that there will be a new Tomb Raider game. The recent sale of the western Square Enix studios to Embracer Group along with all the IP (seriously, what was Square thinking...) pretty much cemented that these franchises wouldn't go anywhere. Though I'd imagine Crystal Dynamics fans were hoping for a new Legacy of Kain game first. But hey, Lara is a cash cow and buying studios left and right requires some income. It's interesting that Amazon Games are publishing it, though. Embracer already own a bunch of publishers and I would've thought consolidating all those development houses would've also incentivized the parent company to publish their studios' stuff. So this deal will probably involve a lot of money from Amazon.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

This is just nice. The last three episodes of the TR franchise have been absolutely awesome and fantastic. To anyone that hasn't tried it yet I can only recommend the first one (simply called "Tomb Raider"). Slightly older graphics but freakin awesome gameplay.

seeing how fucking abysmal New World was and still is. i have 0 hopes for anything coming out of Amazon, even if CD is the ones making it, if Amazon touches it at all, it will fall apart.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

How about Tomb Raider: Rebirth where Laura is resurrected after dying in ancient tomb, and is then found 1000 years later buy a new tomb raiding person, who turns out to be the decent of Her butler from the first game, and was regaled by tales of Laura's exploits, so she fan girls through out the game...and its sci-fi now. So they leave Earth and explore tombs on mars or something.

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

seeing how fucking abysmal New World was and still is. i have 0 hopes for anything coming out of Amazon, even if CD is the ones making it, if Amazon touches it at all, it will fall apart.

I don’t know, it seems like Amazon picked the right publisher to make it work. I don’t think there’s a lot of value in assuming it’s going to be bad just because something else they did was bad. Just like you shouldn’t assume everything that comes out of a company is going to be good just because they did good things.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:00 AM, Arika S said:

I never played it myself, but that's mainly because i don't play MMOs in general. But MMO enthusiasts generally liked it and what happened in it's updates if i recall correctly.

But anyway, not just Amazon, but every publisher / investor or whatever you want to call them should hand over reigns on game develoment to the actual developer. Letting business people make too many decisions in game development ultimately hurts the developer and their community support a lot more more than the executives. We've seen countless games being released because of financial reasons and countless more stories about how the devs were saying that these games were not ready.

<content removed >

Back on topic: I hope they don't fuck it up. The other 3 newer Tomb Raider games were good. But we all know chances of them fucking up are very high, mostly because their overlords have huge potential for it, which they have used to ruin other projects in the past and present. But alas, the term "AAA" hasn't been a symbol for high quality games for a long time.

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

But alas, the term "AAA" hasn't been a symbol for high quality games for a long time.

I don't think it's ever really meant anything other than huge budget, lots of marketing and typically highest grade graphics. I say typically because there have been some massive flops in that department lol.

AAA has rarely been a way to tell if a game is actually "good", like I enjoy CoD games but like... they aren't "good" and haven't been for a really long time. There are many games I look at and would like to try but the price is too high to bother, I can afford it but I simply don't want to pay that much for games and I object to them getting ever more expensive with less actual game.

Wait wait... so will this be based on the old Tomb Raider games or the current new style that Square Enix published?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

Wait wait... so will this be based on the old Tomb Raider games or the current new style that Square Enix published?

They brough back some of the old tomb raider style puzzles with shadow and its optional tombs. 
But yes, I would love if they doubled down on that. I love the classic tomb raider games.

But we dont know, just that its the same Dev team under a new publisher.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

They brough back some of the old tomb raider style puzzles with shadow and its optional tombs. 
But yes, I would love if they doubled down on that. I love the classic tomb raider games.

But we dont know, just that its the same Dev team under a new publisher.

I hope so, original Tomb Raider is just awesome. Would be cool to have new style graphics with modern controls but same style of gameplay as the originals.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On 12/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, DavidKalinowski said:

How about Tomb Raider: Rebirth where Laura is resurrected after dying in ancient tomb, and is then found 1000 years later buy a new tomb raiding person, who turns out to be the decent of Her butler from the first game, and was regaled by tales of Laura's exploits, so she fan girls through out the game...and its sci-fi now. So they leave Earth and explore tombs on mars or something.

🤔

Omg, it's a signature!

On 12/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, Needfuldoer said:

They should call it Prime of the Tomb Raider.

Or Tomb Raider in Amazone

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 12/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, Stahlmann said:

I never played it myself, but that's mainly because i don't play MMOs in general. But MMO enthusiasts generally liked it and what happened in it's updates if i recall correctly.

snip

the concept was ok but its more exploit world than new world. you can become unkillable if you drag around the game window which makes certain CTF pvp game modes pointless to play. theres new money/resource duping glitches that breaks the economy happening like every other week. its a contest of who can exploit the hardest. i thought maiding or mapping was bad in bdo but apparenty new world turns that up to 11

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Here Lies

Tomb Raider

1996-2022

Yep,

Amazon has a track record of censoring every game they are involved with.

Remember - censorship stifles creativity.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yep,

Amazon has a track record of censoring every game they are involved with.

Remember - censorship stifles creativity.

Oh yes, their track record of... 2 whole games. Much censorship. Much track record.

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

Oh yes, their track record of... 2 whole games. Much censorship.

For two games there is too much censorship, especially in Lost Ark,

Lost Ark was re-released under Amazon, and Amazon censored lots of stuff in their version of the game.

Here are some examples:

image.jpeg.b424663a4bc3f1310aa9d9a8df02387c.jpeg

And then they did this for some reason:

image.thumb.jpeg.ae83379fd00a925320878ea1326a2ca3.jpeg

Why Amazon?, Why do they have to do those things?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Tomb Raider now with mor prime, and alexa support.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

20 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Censorship? nah that's the least worrying thing about amazon. They're gonna kill it LOTR style, it's all in or nothing.

Amazon has a lot of studios, what they did with LOTR was stupid, but they had successes with other projects being run by different teams, The Boys for example was a success.

Though the root cause of the LOTR issue is Amazon's leadership so it may happen again with Tomb Raider.

So it can go either way...

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Tomb Raider now with mor prime, and alexa support.

i would be very surprised if there isn't a side character somewhere in the game called Alexa.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

31 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i would be very surprised if there isn't a side character somewhere in the game called Alexa.

Or Lara using alexa to help solve a puzzle.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.