With all due respect, I won't join the board but... - Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

Summary

After deciding to not join the Board of Twitter after buying a 9% stake in the social media company. In a change of events, Elon Musk has offered to wholly buy the company for over 40Billion USD. 

Quotes

Reuters: "Musk's offer price of $54.20 per share, which was disclosed in a regulatory filing on Thursday, represents a 38% premium to Twitter's April 1 close, the last trading day before the Tesla CEO's more than 9% stake in the company was made public."

NBC News: "The letter, delivered on Wednesday, amounts to an offer to take Twitter private, a move that would give Musk greater control of the company."

My thoughts

In a non-shock of being a major market disrupter in at times questionable and fineable actions, I guess running a Car Manufacturer and leading a company at the forefront of space exploration that one would get bored of it. That all being said, It's just getting rather annoying at the increasingly minimal competitive nature of the market with everything being owned by a small majority of companies and entities. It sadly can see this going though, but sadly with the cult he has around himself, I can see the platform degrading in a more so rapid fashion. 

Yay Capitalism I guess...

Sources

SEC Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001418091/000110465922045641/tm2212748d1_sc13da.htm

NBC NEWS: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/elon-musk-makes-move-buy-twitter-rcna24354

REUTERS: https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon-musk-offers-buy-twitter-5420-per-share-2022-04-14/?utm_source=reddit.com

Ummm, OK....

Not strictly a suprise after he turned down joining the board but very much a "welp i guess thats happening" kinda thing. I've honestly no idea what would happen if he got a-hold of twitter, not really his usual type of company.

I guess bemused sums up my reaction.

Elon does know that buying Twitter doesn't give him ownership of all the memes and NFTs posted to Twitter, right? /s

This move isn't a huge surprise after his earlier investment in to Twitter. I don't really see any reason why Twitter wouldn't want to sell to be honest. $40 Billion (On top of the 3 Billion he already paid for 9% share) seems like a pretty high valuation for Twitter. Will be interesting to see what changes Twitter would make in the future if he does indeed buy the company.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As a user, the big question is what does he plan to do if this goes through?

While I kinda understand him as an individual, he's not your traditional leadership type so where is he going with this?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Elon does know that buying Twitter doesn't give him ownership of all the memes and NFTs posted to Twitter, right? /s

This move isn't a huge surprise after his earlier investment in to Twitter. I don't really see any reason why Twitter wouldn't want to sell to be honest. $40 Billion (On top of the 3 Billion he already paid for 9% share) seems like a pretty high valuation for Twitter. Will be interesting to see what changes Twitter would make in the future if he does indeed buy the company.

Well, if he took it private, he no longer has to be under the SEC's thumb for it. That said... uh... no good will come of this.

I mean, sure, let the meme king have that shithole. Who in earnest would care besides people should honestly go out more and touch grass? But you know that this is only another step towards the inevitable and I can already hear people sharpening those guillotines. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I wonder if he will/would use it as leverage for marketing since Tesla doesn't do any of that traditionally.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Hey, at least it can't get any worse than it already is

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Oh no it can get much worse

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, coasterghost said:

That's all we need. The Tesla/SpaceX/ElonCult Bros as mods. 

persevering-face-mattdamon.gif

Crypto bro powers activate!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Crypto bro powers activate!!

Then they'll put their eggs all in one basket and become the average user of WallStreetBets 

Well I mean Twitter is already a cesspool so yeah I wouldn't say it can get worse. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Twitter literally can't get an worse than it already is. The fact that social media is a town square pretending they aren't a town square for freedom of speech purposes is both laughable and sad. Honestly I'm ready for anyone to shake up the social media bubble.

Elon will maybe does it to increase the value of stocks so that he can still his. He had manipulate market the same way when he said that he will make Tesla private

The master plan: buy it, and shut it down. Saving humanity one cobble stone at a time.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Not on top of. Buying for 40 billion would mean that Musk effectively pays himself his percentage of the shares. Although the actual tax structure would be a bit more complicated. So he's "only" paying about 36 billion more for the company. 

If he can get the woke lunatics running the asylum out and proper level headed management in. Sounds good to me.

ofc i still wont use it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I support this, twitter has been pretty bad for years and doesn't seem to be trying at all to maintain information accuracy or transparency. Maybe some of the "big changes" Musk wants to implement can change it for the better. If not, it will fade into history as a waste of time and we'll finally move to the next fad.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

So apparently from what im reading most people seem to think this is a "pump and dump" … which wouldnt be his first time either…

I kinda hope thats it, because while twitter overall certainly isnt great, they definitely try to stay balanced, and are, if you know who to "follow" actually a good source for news and analysis (of course thats only a byproduct of being extremely popular, but its there) this will all go down the drain if privaticed, and basically controlled by a big manchild with no oversight … but this is really kinda unlikely, i mean twitter and authorities would first need to agree on this… (and apparently twitter is worth more than the proposed dumping price to begin with) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well I mean Twitter is already a cesspool so yeah I wouldn't say it can get worse. 

2 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Twitter literally can't get an worse than it already is.

Have you guys literally never used any other platform before? It can get much much much worse. You are all extremely out of touch if you don't know the history of major platforms like myspace, digg, tumblr, or facebook to know how things could get much worse.

The fact that social media is a town square

Its not.

1 hour ago, Orcblood said:

Good. I'm glad to see this happening. May he save it and bring free speech back.

Tell me, what speech can you not say on twitter?

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

If he can get the woke lunatics running the asylum out and proper level headed management in. Sounds good to me.

ofc i still wont use it.

You literally "agreed" with the comment above you asking for free speech. Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy there?

4 hours ago, porina said:

As a user, the big question is what does he plan to do if this goes through?

While I kinda understand him as an individual, he's not your traditional leadership type so where is he going with this?

Not a user but will still watch with interest, one thing you can pretty much guarantee with Elon Musk involved is it will never be dull. 

Twitter literally can't get an worse than it already is. The fact that social media is a town square pretending they aren't a town square for freedom of speech purposes is both laughable and sad. Honestly I'm ready for anyone to shake up the social media bubble.

No idea which side of the freedom of speech line your going for, but the analogy to the town square is excellent. The internet has, (or is, depending on what your talking about), replacing so much stuff, but it doesn't operate under the old rules and limitations and thats creating all kinds of issues.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Have you guys literally never used any other platform before? It can get much much much worse. You are all extremely out of touch if you don't know the history of major platforms like myspace, digg, tumblr, or facebook to know how things could get much worse.

Most of those just kinda died though, or are in the process of dying. At the very least, facebook and tumblr are nowhere near their peaks.

Say what you will about them, generally you wont get doxxed because you disrespected some minecraft youtuber on their platforms.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler