He who lives by the ink chip dies by the ink chip - Canon adds guide to using third party cartridges.

williamcll

Due to Canon running out of chips for their own brand of ink, they have to resort to having them chipless, this causes an interesting effect.

Quotes

The global semiconductor shortage has led to low supplies of chips used in many different industries, prompting delays in shipments and rising costs of scarce devices to consumers. While computing components, mobile devices, and cars are thought to be the main industries affected by a lack of chips, it appears that printer ink suppliers are also having problems. Camera and printer producer Canon has run into the situation where it has to send printer cartridges out without its usual collection of chips. As spotted by Mario W on Twitter, this means Canon is producing ink cartridges without what he refers to as "copy-protection measures," and is starting to contact customers about a fix. The chips included in a printer cartridge provide a few functions, including helping to determine how much ink is left to use. It is also generally used to ensure that users use genuine cartridges from the company, to try and prevent the use of uncertified and unofficial third-party inks. A support page from Canon Europe's website lists numerous imageRunner multi-function printers that use ink cartridges affected by the shortages. Canon warns that there is "no negative impact on print quality when using the consumables without electronic components," but features such as "the ability to detect toner levels" could be affected. The page goes on to explain how to use one of the company's affected toner cartridges, including instructions to bypass a warning about a potentially malfunctioning cartridge.

My thoughts

Hilarious, too bad for canon I switched to Brother since they seem to handle third party ink way better.

Sources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/08/canon-ink-cartridges-become-an-unexpected-chip-shortage-victim

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I gave up on printers a long time ago. If I need to print something that bad, I'll just hit a FedEx Kinkos.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Pro tip, don't be jerks. Most people would buy Cannon Ink for a Cannon printer if it's fairly priced as many consumers worry about putting "non-genuine" ink in to their printers. It's the extortionate prices that make people go 3rd party.

I'd be willing to bet people would have been willing to print more, back in the day, if ink was cheaper meaning no reduction in profit or revenue.

Printer manufacturers are some of the dumbest around.

O wow.
I probably shouldn't but I can't help but laugh my head off with this one. xD

$0 says that canon patches this after the shortage ends tho.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just go to your local library to get things printed for a few cents. Much cheaper and don't have to worry about dealing with maintenance. The consumer printer industry is really stupid.

And this is why i switched to a laser printer, yes its only monochrome but it wont dry out basically lasts forever..... The starter "cartridge" ran out something like 4 years after purchase. Bought the factory cartridge again, dont ask how many years ago. (Printer got  released 10+ years ago, Samsung ml-1665.)

Hilarious, fuck you Canon (and most other printer companies)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Printer industry is cancer. Our Epson XP342 was about €59 and "OEM" ink is like €49 and the colors are €97. Are you fucking kidding me?

No wonder why most of the consumers simply go for the 3rd party. But our Epson printer atleast let us use 3rd party unlike other scums.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

38 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

And this is why i switched to a laser printer, yes its only monochrome but it wont dry out basically lasts forever..... The starter "cartridge" ran out something like 4 years after purchase. Bought the factory cartridge again, dont ask how many years ago. (Printer got  released 10+ years ago, Samsung ml-1665.)

Pretty much this. A bit more pricey, but I don’t like printing, so the least hassle possible for the few times I have to print is worth the money. (Basically, if I don’t want to throw it out the window, it’s a winner)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Is this a silver lining to the semiconductor shortage? Trading CPUs and GPUs for a sane printer/ink ecosystem?

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

And this is why i switched to a laser printer, yes its only monochrome but it wont dry out basically lasts foreve

You can get really good and well priced colour laser printers. 

I have an older generation of this: https://www.ricoh.co.nz/products-and-solutions/office-printing-and-copying/printer-colour/sp-c360dn/. Bonus it's network printer so you don't have to share it through another PC.

The only groundbreaking need for printers, that will surprise me, will be 

"X company made a printer that works Everytime!!!!"

When greed bites you in the ass.

This is why I own brother printers,  tanks from the factory and no chips to "work around".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So glad my laser printer from Brother doesn't have these stupid chips. I can put a no name toner cartridge in just fine. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

You can get really good and well priced colour laser printers. 

Monochrome is fine, rarely print and only documents. If i need a photo printed (once in a leap year) ill just go to some shop. Network printing also solved since i have a NAS.

Edited by jagdtigger

On 1/9/2022 at 8:56 AM, leadeater said:

Pro tip, don't be jerks. Most people would buy Cannon Ink for a Cannon printer if it's fairly priced as many consumers worry about putting "non-genuine" ink in to their printers. It's the extortionate prices that make people go 3rd party.

I'd be willing to bet people would have been willing to print more, back in the day, if ink was cheaper meaning no reduction in profit or revenue.

Not just for Canon, but for or printer brands out there because a lot of consumer do worry about installing 3rd party cartridges, where they may think it can ruin their perfectly working printer. My HP that I got with my first PC still works till this day, but the inks are crazy expensive for something that's over 20 years old. Looking it up on Amazon, the original Black+Color ink would cost me over $120. Luckily I don't print anymore so that's $120 saved.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1/9/2022 at 5:56 AM, leadeater said:

Well I think they do know that people will buy them.

Actually, tbh, in some situations I do purchase genuine ink...as I find it clogs less and has a bit more smear resistance but that's only in limited situations.  Also had a generic toner cartridge break in a work printer before, printed solid black pages.  The fuser was shot after that, as close to 100 pages were printed before anyone checked on the print job...also had a few that had their gears seize and fry the motor and strip the gears...still an overall savings all things considered, but not a fun day having to repair the thing (might be me, but printers cost per print has slowly risen with each new model of printer for the same price class)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef