Manifestv2 acceptance ends in 1 month, spelling trouble for popular adblockers

rcmaehl

Summary

Manifestv2 based extensions will stop being accepted in Chromium based browsers January 2022 and stop working in 2023 Popular privacy tools such as adblockers are expected to be heavily impacted.

Media

Objects in Manifest V3 are closer than they appear — and it's not good news

Quotes

Manifest V3, Google's... basket of changes to the world of web browser extensions, has been framed by its authors as “a step in the direction of privacy, security, and performance.”... These changes are a raw deal for users. Manifest V3 is... [an] inherent conflict of interest that comes from Google controlling both the dominant web browser and one of the largest internet advertising networks. Manifest V3... is outright harmful to privacy efforts. It will restrict the capabilities of web extensions, especially those that are designed to monitor, modify, and compute... with the websites you visit. ...Extensions like these– like some privacy-protective tracker blockers– will have greatly reduced capabilities. Google’s efforts to limit that access is concerning,... considering that Google has trackers installed on 75% of the top one million websites. It’s also doubtful Mv3 will do much for security. When a malicious extension sneaks through the security review process, it is usually interested in simply observing the conversation between your browser and whatever websites you visit. The malicious activity happens elsewhere, after the data has already been read. A 2020 study by researchers at Princeton and the University of Chicago revealed that privacy extensions, the very ones that will be hindered by Mv3, actually improve browser performance.

My thoughts

It looks like it's finally happening. It's been a while since Google announced this, and I believe they've pushed it back a few times hoping people will forget about this. I think there'll be some minor percentage shift in web browser usage once the ad-blockers are no-longer effective in Chromium browsers, but I'm not sure the average user will be quick to switch. I personally will be switching to a PiHole, but it's just not the same feature wise as some of the current extension options... maybe it's time for me to give Firefox another chance. 

Sources

EFF

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

if Im looking at that timeline right that wont happen until 2023..

image.png.86bcf823ccc96d62415a632b591c0f11.png

In jan22, there can be no new mv2 ones, devs can publish new ones that are private, 

in jun22, no new private ones, updates can contunie,

jan23, mv2 extentions wont run

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

We already know none of the 3rd party browsers like Edge, Opera, Brave and Vivaldi will follow this dumb manifest which means all these browsers will stay behind with engines in this particular function, creating fork within a fork.

Issue will be for browsers that just use Google's extensions repository (Brave and Vivaldi). Luckily they have adblocker built-in, where Opera and Edge don't have that issue, because they run their own extensions repository so they'll be able to host extensions that are not nerfed like ones on Google's extension repository which will have to adopt Manifest V2 thing.

And yeah, laughs in Firefox as well.

I guess I should convert my extension to Manifest V3 now, hopefully it's not too hard

Although the prospect of having to use a chromium fork (or maybe Safari) in the future sucks

🙂

18 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

if Im looking at that timeline right that wont happen until 2023..

image.png.86bcf823ccc96d62415a632b591c0f11.png

In jan22, there can be no new mv2 ones, devs can publish new ones that are private, 

in jun22, no new private ones, updates can contunie,

jan22, mv2 extentions wont run

Me:
What Year Is It? | Know Your Meme

Corrected

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

<removed by staff> questionable design decisions, Firefox is still by far the best. Latest 95 also gained WASM caching and occlusion detection, not enabled by default, but can be. Pretty cool features.

Pihole running on the home network and also daily driving Firefox since before Chrome was an idea.

-= Cleaned =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The time has finally come for the Firefox users to have the last laugh. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

<removed by staff>

5 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Summary

Manifestv2 based extensions will stop being accepted in Chromium based browsers January 2022 and stop working in 2023 Popular privacy tools such as adblockers are expected to be heavily impacted.

Media

Objects in Manifest V3 are closer than they appear — and it's not good news

Quotes

My thoughts

It looks like it's finally happening. It's been a while since Google announced this, and I believe they've pushed it back a few times hoping people will forget about this. I think there'll be some minor percentage shift in web browser usage once the ad-blockers are no-longer effective in Chromium browsers, but I'm not sure the average user will be quick to switch. I personally will be switching to a PiHole, but it's just not the same feature wise as some of the current extension options... maybe it's time for me to give Firefox another chance. 

Sources

EFF

I don't know much about these extensions so pardon my ignorance, but is there anything explicitly stopping developers from using the V3 extension for the same purpose of blocking ads? Or would this be an intentional design by Google to circumvent that? Would we ever reach a point where websites can detect that you are using pi-hole and refuse to display a page?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

17 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't know much about these extensions so pardon my ignorance, but is there anything explicitly stopping developers from using the V3 extension for the same purpose of blocking ads? Or would this be an intentional design by Google to circumvent that? Would we ever reach a point where websites can detect that you are using pi-hole and refuse to display a page?

4 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Manifest V3, Google's... basket of changes to the world of web browser extensions, has been framed by its authors as “a step in the direction of privacy, security, and performance.”... These changes are a raw deal for users. Manifest V3 is... [an] inherent conflict of interest that comes from Google controlling both the dominant web browser and one of the largest internet advertising networks. Manifest V3... is outright harmful to privacy efforts. It will restrict the capabilities of web extensions, especially those that are designed to monitor, modify, and compute... with the websites you visit. ...Extensions like these– like some privacy-protective tracker blockers– will have greatly reduced capabilities. Google’s efforts to limit that access is concerning,... considering that Google has trackers installed on 75% of the top one million websites. It’s also doubtful Mv3 will do much for security. When a malicious extension sneaks through the security review process, it is usually interested in simply observing the conversation between your browser and whatever websites you visit. The malicious activity happens elsewhere, after the data has already been read. A 2020 study by researchers at Princeton and the University of Chicago revealed that privacy extensions, the very ones that will be hindered by Mv3, actually improve browser performance.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 12/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Laughs in Safari (cries in mourning for AdBlock Plus on Chrome)

Buddy, Safari did basically the same thing ages ago. The remaining players in the space, like AdGuard, use a companion App that you have to install alongside an extension. https://adguard.com/en/blog/safari-adblock-extensions.html

On 12/10/2021 at 11:20 AM, RejZoR said:

We already know none of the 3rd party browsers like Edge, Opera, Brave and Vivaldi will follow this dumb manifest which means all these browsers will stay behind with engines in this particular function, creating fork within a fork.

I wouldn't be so sure about edge. In fact, of the chromium-based browsers, the only one I really expect to stick with v2 for any non-trivial amount of time would be Brave, and they have their own set of issues.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

5 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Buddy, Safari did basically the same thing ages ago. The remaining players in the space, like AdGuard, use a companion App that you have to install alongside an extension. https://adguard.com/en/blog/safari-adblock-extensions.html

I wouldn't be so sure about edge. In fact, of the chromium-based browsers, the only one I really expect to stick with v2 for any non-trivial amount of time would be Brave, and they have their own set of issues.

Only reason I think Vivaldi would just follow it, is that they just want to continue using chrome plugin page and not run their own. 

In the past they have spesifically gone against things Google do with chrome and stuff. For example they do do not want googles alternative to cookies, and there was also a other thing I don't quite remember that is off by default. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Brave's response:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566