Youtube is censoring the like count Opinion's

Grungble

I'm really amazed how fucking big the multibillionar comanpanies are actually crying out loud like a fucking baby. Remember the GTA Enhanced and Expanded bullshit videos with a lot more dislikes than likes? Bethesda or EA had one of the videos that had the most disliked counts in the history (or was it on reddit?) And damn it, companies like that deciding for everyone what's good and what's bad really deserves to be bankrupt for good and eternal!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

In another similar, covering Youtube topic it's suspected that YT is rather leftist.

Politics ...

Nah, they'll just ban stuff outright if they feel like it.

11 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I think that this thread has a stupid title. How is this censorship?

There's a lot of alarmism when it comes to companies electing to not showing information that people are accustomed to seeing. Is it technically censorship? Sure. But using that term invokes a lot of imagery that's far less relevant.

11 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

This seems like a bit of an irrelevant comment. YouTube aren't turning off negative feedback, you can still write something in the comments if you want. It's not even turning off the blanket ability for someone to say "I hate this" without providing any constructive feedback - you can still press the dislike button.

Honestly I think it's often true that the real snowflakes are the people who throw the word "snowflake" around as an insult whenever someone decides something that they happen not to like.

I do think that them removing dislikes is throwing the baby out with the bathwater since it is a metric that people are very accustomed to using when making this feedback. Like-to-dislike ratio is a lot more eye-grabbing than having to parse through a bunch of comments, even if they do contain more valuable information (inb4 "YouTube comments? Noooo, neeeeeeeever")

That last point I feel is pretty salient, though. People are different and have different tolerances to the "brigaiding" problem they've cited as the reason why they're doing this. People decrying how people are "so soft" and "snowflakes" are, in my experience, often the ones themselves that are making the most noise about it in a bad-faith fashion, and coming off "soft" themselves. Why not attack the idea of removing dislikes on the merit of it not being the best idea?

Personally I think YouTube blaming brigading for removing dislikes isn't... that bad of an argument. But, again, throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. There should have been some middle ground between softening the impact of bad-faith trolling and brigading, and knee-capping a genuinely useful metric for a video. I also made a habit of drawing sociological inferences as to why a video with pretty decent content is nuked with a horrible like-dislike ratio, so that's unfortunate.

I'm not in love with this move, but people immediately blaming "snowflake softies" for this change are... funny to me.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

3 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

A meritocracy is the only way to have a society that truly thrives

Are you sure you don't spell it wrong: Mediocracy ?

I am thinking about zillions of restaurants which serve awful food for trapped tourists around the world.

Watch Coffeezilla's video on the topic, he summarizes the negative implications of this pretty well.

11 minutes ago, CT854 said:

That last point I feel is pretty salient, though. People are different and have different tolerances to the "brigaiding" problem they've cited as the reason why they're doing this. People decrying how people are "so soft" and "snowflakes" are, in my experience, often the ones themselves that are making the most noise about it in a bad-faith fashion, and coming off "soft" themselves. Why not attack the idea of removing dislikes on the merit of it not being the best idea?

I watch YouTube for both entertainment and work. Specifically for work, I find all sorts of informative advice with regards VMWare and other IT helpful tips out there. I don't want to have to watch a shitty presentation to know in the end it was a giant waste of my time insomuch not being relevant to the title.

The ratio absolutely should be valued to make that quick judgment call. If the content has a poor dislike ratio, then perhaps the creator should re-do the presentation and publish again.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

I watch YouTube for both entertainment and work. Specifically for work, I find all sorts of informative advice with regards VMWare and other IT helpful tips out there. I don't want to have to watch a shitty presentation to know in the end it was a giant waste of my time insomuch not being relevant to the title.

The ration absolutely should be valued to make that quick judgment call. If the content has a poor dislike ratio, then perhaps the creator should re-do the presentation and publish again.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean when I think of a well-balanced response to this change and I pretty much agree with it.

My brain's trying to come up with an analogy to when YouTube moved from its 5-star system to Likes/Dislikes, but I'm struggling to come up with parallels. Moving from stars to likes/dislikes was a classic streamlining change. Removing dislikes from being visible full stop just destroys a lot of valuable input that's made available to the user.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Ah, I see this is where all the boomers shouting about muh free speech come out of the woodwork.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Please, for the love of this video, don't.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

This is stupid, it seems like enough creators have enough influence on Youtube complained and got it removed, because creators can remove the like/dislike button, I guess people didn't like seeing the like to dislike ratio, which is stupid because if you can't handle any criticism you shouldn't be on Youtube anyway.

Agreed!!!
Nothing wrong in just saying whether you like something or not because everyone has things they do or don't like.

No one is going to like everything, not everything is going to be liked by everyone or even by a majority, that's just life and how it is no matter who you are. 
And if you can't deal well....
That's you and no one else.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Marques just released a video giving his thoughts about this issue:

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

What a bunch of babies over at YouTube! If you go through life without wanting anyone ever criticizing you your going to have a real sucky life. This is just straight up stupid imagine a world where the only reviews were 5 star ones and besides that turning off comments and disabling dislikes is censorship approaching the levels of China.

Youtube protecting the fragiles out there because they cannot take any sort of criticism. The like and count is useful especially when it comes to tutorials, and spent the whole time watching BS that doesn't apply to the problem you're trying to solve.
Wait if Youtube censors the public likes, and a person is following, a how to change your electric socket outlet tutorial and they hurt themselves because they that tutorial is BS, and they hurt themselves doing it, can they sue the hell out of Youtube for allowing misleading tutorial to still be up.

I think Youtube can force flairs like reddit, where tutorials must have the likes and dislikes public at all times, and other things, don't need to be since they're just for entertainment.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

kind of miss the star system. although feel more personal with the counted like/dislike.

can understand some smaller creators like with the amount they used as an example, and for brands so they can just post sh*t content that might be pushed onto you.

"buy our product" and "the system is not favouring anyone, so buy this drink today!".

More and more i am forced to search for youtube alternatives, odysey, bitchute etc, its a pain not to have everything in one place, but its getting too much.

9 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

They can already do that, though, can't they.

I'm sorry but there's been so many changes made to the platform that were immensely unpopular and ridiculed. In some cases it has even been said that a particular change would kill YouTube. And yet the site hasn't been ruined; it's still in wide use to this day. This is just another one of those, and I'm sure this time next year we'll have become used to it and forgotten it ever happened.

Fucking hell. So the removal of a tiny software feature is "fascism" now. What a silly world we live in.

People are blowing this way out of proportion, and I don't understand why.

Youtube has been able to get by despite their practices mostly because of how much market share it has and the fact that they have google pushing them up in the search results, and google dominates web ads which makes it quite hard to have a competitor to a google product supported by ads, Youtube is the largest video platform by far, and they recently have been, demonetizing videos, hiding channels from search results, based entirely on what ever they see fit at the time, which is equivalent in my view to the power company not providing power to you because they disagree with something you said, a perfect example of this is the crazy amount of doctors that had their videos deleted etc, because they didn't agree with the WhO (which don't have a monopoly on truth, nor are they always right), many of which were absolutely right, some categories are completely demonetized like gun channels, documentary channels etc, And many times its not even applied equally, as now they push "mainstream" media sources above all others, and even allow them to have videos monetized that if a normal content creator would have tried to upload would have been immediately demonetized, its like they only remember that an ad during a video is not a endorsement when its a mainstream media channel. There are even more examples and important ones at that but those are all political so i will leave it there.

slowly but surely youtube is becoming, corporatetube, content creators and people watching have less and less power over any of it.

9 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

What a bunch of babies over at YouTube!

Are they babies? Or have they simply made a decision based on what will give them the most watch-time and thus money? I think the latter.

If you go through life without wanting anyone ever criticizing you your going to have a real sucky life.

I have a criticism of this sentence: you used to wrong form of "you're".

Jokes aside:

turning off comments and disabling dislikes is censorship approaching the levels of China.

I've said this once already and I'll say it again: stopping you from speaking in one specific place on a privately owned platform is NOT censorship, certainly not on the level of China. To say that is so ridiculous I'm starting to wonder if it's a joke.

If not, you are blowing this way out of proportion.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

In another similar, covering Youtube topic it's suspected that YT is rather leftist.

Politics ...

Yeah man, it's such a leftist thing to do to pursue a monopoly, hamstring lgbt creators, deny your "employees" a stable contract and compromise their livelihoods to cater to advertisers... /s

15 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Fucking hell. So the removal of a tiny software feature is "fascism" now. What a silly world we live in.

I swear, some people have no idea what words mean in politics 🙄

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 11/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What's genuinely worrying is that the ratio isn't the most skewed I've seen a like/dislike ratio can be. Still quite a number of likes, though how many of those can be bots, we'll never know. 

image.thumb.png.6d474420001acac8b70ee08eaebc9b98.png

The dislike ratio is still worsening, and will likely continue to do so at least while we can still see it.

Currently the video is at 9.5k / 44k, which is around 82% dislike ratio. To put that in perspective Youtube Rewind 2018 which is the most disliked video on Youtube has a dislike ratio of 86%.

image.png

Opening the video in a private tab (not logged in to youtube) shows the change has started taking effect, at least partially. I can still see it if logged in to youtube. It now just shows "DISLIKE" where the counter used to be.

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

There is a bug that lets you see the dislikes + the ratio (and there is also social blade like/dislike ratio if they fix the bug):

Before:

395962563_DesktopScreenshot2021_11.12-11_03_09_10.thumb.png.53008e965065ce9f7f642e529ef294a1.png

After:

1876102967_DesktopScreenshot2021_11.12-11_03_17_79.thumb.png.a32676de45518354310213559b654d35.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

But isn't YouTube's decision to remove the dislike button woke? - It sure is woke.

Yep, Hitler banning certain books he disliked with was woke as hell. 

Does this really need to have a political dimension? People who always narrow into that as an explanation for the behavior of a big tech company (or any company really) like to forget that most of the time decisions like these are made because the company believes it'll make them more money somehow. Not because some content creator doesn't want to deal with dislikes or because YouTube still has hurt feelings about the rewind. 

You can argue until you're blue in the face that the lack of a ratio as an indicator of quality is bad for the audience. But that line of reasoning is only meaningful if the outcome is supposed to be good for the audience in the first place. It's this weird disconnect many seem to have where they judge corporate policy through the lens that a corporation cares what their consumers think. They only do that if what consumers think aligns with maximized profits. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

That spurious apostrophe in the thread title hasn't been removed... not usually one to whinge about grammar mistakes that don't affect how the sentence reads, but that is irritating me every time I get a notification for some reason 😂

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Does this really need to have a political dimension?

It's not the first time that You Tube has acted according to a political agenda.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is very much missing the forest from the trees. A typical video receives likes or dislikes once in a while. Not every time. What you're clearly missing is how hate brigading unfairly punishes videos or creators for doing perfectly standard videos that everyone else does. Both left-wing and right-wing people should understand this is a war they were never going to win by throwing bots and cannon-fodder at it. You complained about being censored, and youtube listened, now you can't invoke outrage by bridaging videos, and will only know if you harmed someone if they complain about it.

Do you have any examples of small-time content creators getting brigaded for making "perfectly standard videos that everyone else does?"

The only things I've ever seen get large amounts of dislikes are either highly controversial takes or videos from large channels/companies that are receiving backlash. Both of those obviously can have brigading as well, but you make it sound like dislikes just come at random, and not because a large group of people legitimately dislike the content of a video or something that the creator of the video recently did.