Nikon stuck lens repair

My tripod was pulled over by a taut wire and the camera fell on its right side. The lens (Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm) is now jammed between 35 and 24mm. It rotates normally between the two points but will not move past. The focal length seems unaffected when turning manually, but the autofocus motor will not focus the lens past a certain point. 

Clearly I've broken my lens. But how difficult are these to repair? I would assume the best course of action would be to send it off to a professional, but before I take that route I would like to ask if anyone has experience with lens repair like this. It's not a particularly nice lens, but I would rather repair it than purchase a new lens entirely. 

Anyone have experience with fixing a jammed lens?

I got the same lens, when you take the back lens cover off there are some screws that you can unscrew to access the internals and then get access to the pieces on the inside. I would think that something is jammed inside there because at that point the lens moves the least. If you can fix it by just adjusting the springs go for it but chances are that its irreparable without professional help and parts which will more likey than not cost more then the lens. Its a kit lens (at least mine was) so shouldn't be too expensive to replace either new or second hand. Anything else would be more expensive then getting a new lens. Thats what I think though and I could be wrong as I am also an amateur in photography.

My Sigma lens got stuck because of locking mechanism, which was caused by small plastic piece that got inside. I repaired them just like Bob explained - by removing screwed back and removing the said plastic.

If the lens are as cheap as Bob suggest I would say - go for it. Any professional technician will charge more for the repair quota than those lens are worth.

2 minutes ago, MarkPol88 said:

My Sigma lens got stuck because of locking mechanism, which was caused by small plastic piece that got inside. I repaired them just like Bob explained - by removing screwed back and removing the said plastic.

If the lens are as cheap as Bob suggest I would say - go for it. Any professional technician will charge more for the repair quota than those lens are worth.

Thanks for the locking mechanism suggestion, I had suspected that might have been the problem.

I took one of my Canon lenses apart and was able to repair it after a drop.  Nothing specific I can offer on repair of a Nikon lens but just the advise to not forget to search youtube for your Lenses model number.  There may be a good guide for disassembly/repair.  The only other thing would be to recommend a very good set of screwdrivers as some of the hardware inside a lens uses some very small screws.

IMG_20240227_160221222_HDR.jpg

On 5/9/2024 at 6:01 PM, vf1000ride said:

I took one of my Canon lenses apart and was able to repair it after a drop. 

Ayy I did same with my 24-105. I accidentally tore the apature cable lens still works except for the apature. Looking to get a new cable.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang