LTT Official Folding Month 2021!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Well here we are guys, the end of the road for folding month 2021, thank you all for getting involved and I hope you guys have a good christmas and new year. 

Remember if you are wanting to continue talking about folding, the event or anything related you can go the the folding community board

@TVwazhere @Spotty Could you please lock the thread and move any further posts after this one to the folding community board. 

LTT Folding Month 2021

Event Starts November 8th (00:00 GMT)

Ends December 12th (23:59 GMT)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Tu-7zVK93OBIT30FdPMkyK9yUqLok7moeQ7D4aPOIDc

This event will be eligible for F@H event badges.

image.png.88bf63f33f4c7ad6ac1d51595315f3cc.png image.png.5317c842b1efe6e78f4ca7e37fe0b5c4.png image.png.1d891e02773730f5833790b228291d6a.png

Please follow this thread to keep up to date!

Please read the whole of this post before asking any questions and use the links provided at the end for help and support!

Minimum Participation Requirements For Prizes

20 Days with activity*, 500,000 Points & 40 WU

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

These must be met DURING the five weeks of the event. Points produced before the start date do not count!

Prizes!!!

(possibly more to come)

Community donated prizes:

5x 10GBP Steam gift cards - Donated by @marknd59

2x 20USD Steam gift cards - Donated by @Jawa_Juice

3x 20USD Steam gift cards - Donated by @Pezui

50USD Amazon gift card - Donated by Anon

4x 50USD Amazon gift cards - Donated by @IkeaGnome

5x random Steam key - Donated by Community Chest

LMG Prizes?

If anyone would like to donate a prize then hit me up on discord or on PMs here and we will sort it out

Folding@home is a network of volunteer computers distributed around the world that aims to perform biomedical research with the single intent of helping to further understand and develop cures for a range of diseases such as; Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. The exact research that is done is simulating the 'folding' of proteins in the body, this is important because the function of a protein id directly related to its physical shape. And this, when the protein is created in the body it needs to reshuffle its shape to get into the correct structure to perform its task. Many illnesses can be linked to faulty proteins in the body such as many cancers and neurological issues, along with a wide number of other general health concerns. This network if compared with the TOP500 list of supercomputers would outclass every single entry on the list, Folding@home has been of the fastest computing systems in the world, reaching a speed of over 2.1 petaFLOPS. 

If you are wondering what exactly has been done with all this computing power then you can check out the papers written by the scientists and researchers that use the folding network, I will warn you though many of them are very in depth reads and in turn this means they are often fairly technical.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

To qualify for badges you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 500k points, 40WUs, and 20 days of activity over the course of the whole month. This is subject to change for future events as we find out what the sweet spot is to include as many people as possible but not make it too easy to just get a free badge. 

PASSKEYS! (they're really important)

Don't forget to get yourself a passkey from the link below to ensure that you hit the points requirement, the passkey is a feature that was added a while ago to the Folding Client that helps to authenticate each user on the network, an added bonus of this is the fact that it allows you to qualify for QRB(Quick Return Bonus) Points, QRBs are extra points you earn for submitting work units more quickly, such as if you have faster hardware or let the client fold full time, rather than on idle. QRB credit is awarded after 10 WUs have been submitted. You can get your passkey from the link below.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

RULES

Please remember that this is the first event that will be governed by the new rules, these rules were first discussed at the end of last folding month and will be in effect for the duration of the event.

Failing to meet the minimum requirements.

Publicly discussing the administration of the event;
If you have an issue with the way in which the event is being conducted please reach out to an appropriate member of the event team.

Signing up to the event with a folding identity that is believed to not be your own.

Signing up to the event with more than one folding identity.

Conducting yourself in a manner that is believed to be not in the spirit of the event, this includes but not limited to the below;
purposefully only meeting the minimum requirements, acting to undermine the integrity of the event, to attempt to cause division within the community. 

Breaking any one of these rules will result in a disqualification from the event. It is also important to know that there is no appeal process for disqualifications. 

This is just a PSA for the new guys here, the folding team is a small close knit community, so here's a few things I'd like you all to keep in mind. It doesn't hurt to say thank you, if someone has genuinely helped you out don't forget to drop a reaction on their posts, help others where ever you can and finally we are a team first and always. 

Check your stats out here! Bare in mind it can take some time for your first WUs to appear so leave it a day or two.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

Please follow the guides below to help with set-up and troubleshooting.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

📌

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

📌

Thank youuu

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I was about to say "500K points is kinda a lot for me" and then I remember I have a GTX 690 that is somewhere around 200K PPD per core?

Heck, my GTX 650 Ti BOOST is a Folding machine right now with 130K PPD somehow, and that's on PCIe 3.0 x4.

elephants

Can't wait!

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

I was about to say "500K points is kinda a lot for me" and then I remember I have a GTX 690 that is somewhere around 200K PPD per core?

Heck, my GTX 650 Ti BOOST is a Folding machine right now with 130K PPD somehow, and that's on PCIe 3.0 x4.

500k points total over five weeks is the same as last year, I didn't want to change it up honestly 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Looking forward to it! I've got a better GPU this time, so I should be a tad more competitive. 

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I have a GTX 690 that is somewhere around 200K PPD per core?

That's about what I'd expect from a 690. My 680 is usually around 230K. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Also remember some people don't use GPU's. CPU WU's are worth significantly less points, and there isn't really a good way to differentiate "GPU points" and "CPU points"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

I'm excited! Just curious, do the WUs folded need to be towards LTT's F@H team, or can they be towards any team?

they actually need to be towards the LTT F@H team

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Also remember some people don't use GPU's. CPU WU's are worth significantly less points, and there isn't really a good way to differentiate "GPU points" and "CPU points"

Some people (eg. me) don't really have a compatible GPU. Hopefully iGPU support will be fully implmented soon (it's in beta iirc).

But 500k should be fine over 5 weeks (right?)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I'm curious to see how my RX6700XT will stack up to last years GTX1080.

Tho I'm not sure how much time I can invest, cause New World requires a lot of attention right now 🥰

7 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Some people (eg. me) don't really have a compatible GPU. Hopefully iGPU support will be fully implmented soon (it's in beta iirc).

But 500k should be fine over 5 weeks (right?)

Definitely. Assuming your CPU gets 20k ppd to be conservative, in 33 days you'd earn 660k points. so very doable. 

14 hours ago, Schnoz said:

I'm excited! Just curious, do the WUs folded need to be towards LTT's F@H team, or can they be towards any team?

As noted by Red, points must be awarded towards team 223518 (LTT's Team). If you are folding for another team or nobody currently, you can elect to do so up until the deadline, and switch when the event starts. 

just got my 6700XT in, assuming the GF wants the room warm time to fold. wish I could fit in the RX 580 but no luck. no point trying to build a folding system with a 970, 770, and 660ti.
Now if only I could get some A100 or V100 time from work.

F@H all ready to go

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Pretty sure i wont be competitive with my sad c2ds and ancient gpus, multiple systems aint gonna save me here xD

Spoiler

Maybe it can who knows, guess ill try but ill prob fail ;-;

IMG_20211015_131035.thumb.jpg.4986f9b7ad40f920e2e08a9ea6e0af0d.jpg

Well this is my sad oc with my sad c2d setup

Spoiler

Vcore ~1.34-1.35 no llc

Nb 1.6v

Ram volt 2.1

Ram timings 6-6-6-10

Pll 1.54

Fsb term/vtt 1.4

Fsb 478

Cpu freq 4.3ghz

Ram freq ~1130mhz

Spec

E8400

P5q (modded bios to p5q pro turbo)

Cheap chinese 92mm tower

3x1 team extreem dark 1066

9500gt

450w dazumba psu

80gb hdd

No case, just on a carboard box

W7 os cause fk w10

Now whats the team number for ltt team?

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that's 223518. and 4.3 is pretty sick tbh!

Lol 4.3 is pathetic, though i think my chip is slightly above average with the volts it can run

If i had better cooling i would have just shoved the volt to like 1.7 or 1.75 and see how high i can clock it (2v deathzone so 1.7v doesnt concern me unless if temps are exceeding 75c) but at that point the mb would be limiting me since these p5qs suck ass at high fsb, maybe i can score a broken ep45 for cheap or a p5b and flash to a commando, next limit would be ram since its only stable up to ~1150mhz so i think ill have to make a tec cooler for it

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Lol 4.3 is pathetic, though i think my chip is slightly above average with the volts it can run

If i had better cooling i would have just shoved the volt to like 1.7 or 1.75 and see how high i can clock it (2v deathzone so 1.7v doesnt concern me unless if temps are exceeding 75c)

isn't the stock clock of that chip like 3Ghz tho?

Just now, RollinLower said:

isn't the stock clock of that chip like 3Ghz tho?

Yea but these things do 4ghz easy on stock volt (atleast the e0 stepping) and comparing 4ghz on stock volt to 4.3ghz 1.34v is pretty pathetic

Basically the list of bottlenecks from first to last now is cooling - mb - ram

Wait is a rx480 not supported anymore?
I cant get it to fold.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Wait is a rx480 not supported anymore?
I cant get it to fold.

It should be supported as far as I know

What're the full system specs? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240