LTT Official Folding Month 2021!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Well here we are guys, the end of the road for folding month 2021, thank you all for getting involved and I hope you guys have a good christmas and new year. 

Remember if you are wanting to continue talking about folding, the event or anything related you can go the the folding community board

@TVwazhere @Spotty Could you please lock the thread and move any further posts after this one to the folding community board. 

7 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

It should be supported as far as I know

What're the full system specs? 

C2q q6600 bsel, 4gb 667mhz ddr2, dg33m03 motherboard, other drives, rx480

Theres no way I can find it to start folding. Cpu will fold tho

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

First time setting up folding or is this a machine you've used folding on in the past?

In the folding at home client add a new work slot for the GPU. Also get rid of the CPU work slot, CPU folding isn't really worth it with good CPUs let alone something 15 years old.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

First time setting up folding or is this a machine you've used folding on in the past?

In the folding at home client add a new work slot for the GPU. Also get rid of the CPU work slot, CPU folding isn't really worth it with good CPUs let alone something 15 years old.

This is my first time setting it up.

Ive set it up on windows before, but it was automatic then.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Have you tried DDU on the driver, AMD drivers are really funny with folding and OpenCL 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

32 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Well ive tried to setup folding on my gts 250 but idk how to do it so im just stuck running my e8400 at a sad 4.3ghz cause cooling issues

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well ive tried to setup folding on my gts 250 but idk how to do it so im just stuck running my e8400 at a sad 4.3ghz cause cooling issues

That's not supported.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

GTS 250 is no longer supported to run the folding at home application 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

That's not supported.

Im assuming its only supported on obselete fah versions

Maybe i can get better cooling for my c2d so i can clock it higher, ah well even with cooling my crappy p5q is still a limiter cause it only does 530fsb, still gets its ass whooped by my g31 that does 542fsb, hopefully if i can fix an ep45 then i can get rid of the mb bottleneck issue

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe i can get better cooling for my c2d so i can clock it higher, ah well even with cooling my crappy p5q is still a limiter cause it only does 530fsb, still gets its ass whooped by my g31 that does 542fsb, hopefully if i can fix an ep45 then i can get rid of the mb bottleneck issue

No, there is no folding core that will allow you to run FaH on such on old piece of hardware. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You wouldn't be able to meet the minimum requirements for the event with that hardware anyway. If you even manage to submit a completed work unit before it expires.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

You wouldn't be able to meet the minimum requirements for the event with that hardware anyway. If you even manage to submit a completed work unit before it expires.

Ah well if i fail atleast i tried ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

I will upgrade to a diff platform eventually but 775 is cheap and broken mbs for it are also cheap, also mucking around in voltmodding is also something im interested in but these types of questions id just ask ocing forms like w9 cause theres not many ppl looking at this type of ocing

Id prob go straight to x58 or x79 cause there are some good deals on those locally with "broken" mobos

32 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Have you tried DDU on the driver, AMD drivers are really funny with folding and OpenCL 

ddu is windows.... Im running xubuntu 20.04 ( i think, may be 20.10)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

oh... sorry I misread... 

there is only one man for this... @Gorgon

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

oh... sorry I misread... 

there is only one man for this... @Gorgon

As @Spotty mentioned:

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Tried Arch btw? /s.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

F@H on linux with an AMD GPU can be interesting.

I'm running Kubuntu and a 6900XT. I had to install the AMD GPU pro drivers for F@H to even recognise the card. but even then performance is spotty at best.

also, on Linux fahcontrol is broken since 18.04. so you are limited to using the web interface or terminal commands.

For anyone tight on funds who can't afford the power, I suggest opening a Nicehash Account and doing a 50/50 split between F@H and Nicehash. 
Nicehash will earn you the $$ needed to pay for the extra power, F@H will consume said power. 

Linus has a guide, but feel free to DM me if anyone needs to get started and needs a mentor. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

15 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

As @Spotty mentioned:

Sorry,  gave up on AMD GPUs under Linux. just not worth it from a cost perspective nor the pain and suffering to get the drivers working.

Also, had so many issues getting F@H working on 20.04 that I gave up on it and just run 18.04 which just works.

And to the gentleman suggesting Arch.  Really? They’re having trouble with a more mainstream Debian fork and you’re suggesting one with even more knobs?

I will be trying 20.04 again over the next couple of months as 18.04 is nearing end of life and I would like to get some newer kernels so I can see the proc stats on Ryzen 5000s

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

Sorry,  gave up on AMD GPUs under Linux. just North worth it from a cost perspective nor the pain and suffering to get the drivers working.

Also, had so many issues getting F@H working on 20.04 that I gave up on it and just run 18.04 which just works.

And to the gentleman suggesting Arch.  Really? They’re having trouble with a more mainstream Debian fork and you’re suggesting one with even more knobs?

I will be trying 20.04 again over the next couple of months as 18.04 is nearing end of life and I would like to get some newer kernels so I can see the proc stats on Ryzen 5000s

Really? Give up on amd gpus on linux?

amd has been the company open to supporting linux, nvidia has been a whiny little bitch about it. I’d pick amd over nvidia for linux any day just because of that.

that dude was joking by the way, did you not see the /s?

10 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Tried Arch btw? /s.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

@HelpfulTechWizard It will show you if you have a GPU slot in the Folding Slots section. If you don't have a GPU slot listed in Folding Slots you will need to set Folding@Home up to use the GPU.

Open the advanced control panel.

Click Configure

Go to the Slots tab

Click the Add button

Add a GPU slot

image.png

You can also remove the CPU slot from the Slots menu if you do not want to fold on the CPU.

27 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@HelpfulTechWizard It will show you if you have a GPU slot in the Folding Slots section. If you don't have a GPU slot listed in Folding Slots you will need to set Folding@Home up to use the GPU.

Open the advanced control panel.

Click Configure

Go to the Slots tab

Click the Add button

Add a GPU slot

image.png

You can also remove the CPU slot from the Slots menu if you do not want to fold on the CPU.

This might sound stupid, but how do I open the advanced control panel? I can’t find it, only the xml file, which should be possible is it from, no?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This might sound stupid, but how do I open the advanced control panel? I can’t find it, only the xml file, which should be possible is it from, no?

Right click the F@H icon in the task bar and select Advanced Control. Otherwise from the F@H install folder open FAHControl.exe

3 hours ago, Gorgon said:

So you see, I was joking.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Right click the F@H icon in the task bar and select Advanced Control. Otherwise from the F@H install folder open FAHControl.exe

Oh, theres the issue. Linux install doesnt have a icon in the task bar, id assume you though I had windows from the reference to a exe?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Oh, theres the issue. Linux install doesnt have a icon in the task bar, id assume you though I had windows from the reference to a exe?

you're on 20.04 or something though, right? because the fahcontrol program @Spottywas referencing does not work on 20.04. last Ubuntu release it worked on was 18.04.

There have been some workarounds over time, but none of them are really great. i would just advise to run 18.04 and be done with it.

Edited by RollinLower
typos