Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

-snip-

Replace the install.wim in a win10 install media with the win11 version....

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Oh my god I can't believe how stupid new Taskbar overflow is. In Windows 10 I set it to always show all tray icons and that was it. Now in Windows 11, every f**king app I install and want it visible down there in tray area I have to go into settings and enable each and every after every installation.

How many background apps you have? Then you complain about performance issue? Consolidation your stuff or run as needed.

Also you can drag and drop icons from the notification tray in or out of the hidden area.

Windows 10 has the same behavior.

Beyond moronic. It gets even worse when I now have duplicated "Explorer" and "NVIDIA Container" and one does nothing where other shows or hides an icon. Really marvelous design.

Huh? Nvidia Container is part of Nvidia drivers, was there since the longest time. If the extra process bugs you, but ok with 20 background apps, I don't know what to tell you.

Also I can't believe how stupid is the centered Start button. And it's not just "old habits die hard".

You can move it to the left. 

It's just stupid. With left alignment, you just move mouse all the way in the corner. It stops on Start. With default centered retardation you have to specifically pinpoint Start button with absolute precision. And if you think it's for touch, it makes even less sense. On tablet, you hold it on left and right side. With Left start you have Start access with left hand and thumb. In center it's out of reach of both hands. It's like Microsoft put exactly zero thought process into shit they push as default.

Ultra wide screen, super ultra wide, triple monitor  users would all disagree.  🙂

I got used to it. And nice that I don't have lean on. the corner, despite having a regular screen. Has its ups and downs.

And to rant even further, despite everyone hating on Tiles in Start menu, at least I could arrange them ANY way I liked, grouped them together with gaps or even in dropdown categories. Now they are ordered list from top to bottom, no grouping, no sorting.

You, but you can sort them by moving them.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Replace the install.wim in a win10 install media with the win11 version....

They're eligible so they don't need to do that workaround. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, GoodBytes said:

How many background apps you have? Then you complain about performance issue? Consolidation your stuff or run as needed.

Also you can drag and drop icons from the notification tray in or out of the hidden area.

Windows 10 has the same behavior.

Huh? Nvidia Container is part of Nvidia drivers, was there since the longest time. If the extra process bugs you, but ok with 20 background apps, I don't know what to tell you.

You can move it to the left. 

Ultra wide screen, super ultra wide, triple monitor  users would all disagree.  🙂

I got used to it. And nice that I don't have lean on. the corner, despite having a regular screen. Has its ups and downs.

You, but you can sort them by moving them.

I have 32GB of RAM. I literally don't give a s**t how much stuff runs in background. The issue is not performance or memory. It's Windows not showing tray icons and insisting on its stupid hidden overflow by default which I hate as hell. In Windows 10 I just enabled "Show all tray icons at all times". I never ever had to enter that menu again. Now I have for every friggin tray menu icon I WANT to see at all times. Explorer and NVIDIA Container being duplicated there for no reason just make sit more difficult and makes no sense. It has nothing to do with "it has been there forever". !?

If you have ultra wide monitor, you probably don't have sensitivity so low you need to reposition mouse 15 times to reach left corner.

Sorting Start menu pinned icons is now the same as sorting icons on iOS. Always on top, ordered. I like iOS, because it's a dumb phone OS. I expect a bit more from an OS that runs on desktop system with 16 threads CPU, has 32GB's of RAM and has 2TB SSD with 8TB HDD for storage.

Is there any way to get rid of stupid "Recommended" section in Start menu? It's total waste of space and when I thought I disabled it in settings, it just now says "To show recent files enable this thing in settings". Ugh.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Is there any way to get rid of stupid "Recommended" section in Start menu? It's total waste of space and when I thought I disabled it in settings, it just now says "To show recent files enable this thing in settings". Ugh.

Sadly, no. I think it's dumb and just gets in the way.

Just now, linkboy said:

You can turn it off, but it just becomes wasted space, as the application icons don't slide down, and it just says to see your recent files and new apps, enable in settings.

That's... exactly what I said... O_o

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's... exactly what I said... O_o

Yeah, I'm an idiot and misread your post.

It's becoming more and more clear to me how the Sun Valley UI was designed around touch-based computers. I wouldn't say it's as bad a Windows 8, but it's pretty close for non-touchscreen users.

9 minutes ago, linkboy said:

It's becoming more and more clear to me how the Sun Valley UI was designed around touch-based computers. I wouldn't say it's as bad a Windows 8, but it's pretty close for non-touchscreen users.

Oh I used Windows 8 the moment it came out. It was silly. But not this level of forced idiocy and changes where no one asked for changes. I'm sure this will get better over time, just like Windows 10 did, but why do we have to go through another 5 years of this BS to get to that level again when they could make gradual changes in the right direction instead of drastic dumb ones that they then gradually fix back to usable form?

Overall I didn't liked Windows 11, many options were removed that who knows if they will add it back.

But what bothers me the most is the new context menus, with big text and more padding it seems it was designed for touchscreens, they could have done it more compact to fit more options there.

Also the new "Mica" "transparency" effect which is not real transparency it just picks some colors from the wallpaper and blends them together. 

2 minutes ago, VirtualBlack said:

Also the new "Mica" "transparency" effect which is not real transparency it just picks some colors from the wallpaper and blends them together. 

Nope. It is a transparency effect with a frosted look and only considers the wallpaper

Just now, RejZoR said:

Oh I used Windows 8 the moment it came out. It was silly. But not this level of forced idiocy and changes where no one asked for changes. I'm sure this will get better over time, just like Windows 10 did, but why do we have to go through another 5 years of this BS to get to that level again when they could make gradual changes in the right direction instead of drastic dumb ones that they then gradually fix back to usable form?

They were building this UI for Windows 10x, which was going to be a version of 10 designed to take on mobile devices and Chromebooks (which are killing Windows in the education market), but they scrapped it last year and moved the UI over to standard Windows.

10x was going to remove a lot of legacy Windows stuff (legacy apps were going to run in an emulator for example). As a result, the entire shell was basically rebuilt, which is why we're currently stuck with the half-implemented taskbar we have now (that and Microsoft rushed the OS to get it out before the holiday season, especially with the new Surface devices being released).

Microsoft is in a bit of a hard spot compared to Apple and Google because of the devices Windows has to support. Google doesn't have to worry about hardware/software from 25 years ago because ChromeOS and Android didn't exist back then, Windows did. Apple controls everything related to their OS and hardware, so they can just tell legacy users to kick rocks and you really don't have a choice. Microsoft doesn't want to drop legacy support in Windows (which is commendable, but it's really starting to impact the OS).

Microsoft also has to ensure that Windows runs on a multitude of devices, which is something that Google doesn't, and Apple's level of control works in their favor in this regard.

There's also the fact that laptops are becoming more and more like mobile devices every day (touchscreen, soldered batteries, RAM and SSDs, etc.), so Windows has to have a touch interface, as the standard touch interface based around a mouse doesn't really work on touch-based devices. The mobile arena is Google's strength and is an area that Microsoft has shown they haven't been able to crack, and once again, Apple is Apple and can basically do whatever they want.

That puts Microsoft at a severe disadvantage as they have to try to target a bunch of different markets, that are different from each other, with one version of Windows, where Google and Apple have more flexibilities. 

What I would like to see added to 11 is a setting that lets you make the "All Apps" menu as the default start menu for non-touch based computers, and let it shrink down (as it's really way to big). Just give me a menu to scroll and pick the app I want.

Overall, I really like the OS, but it's clear as day it was rushed and the CPU restrictions are bull (especially since VBS isn't being required on upgraded devices).

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea, Win10 has this feature. Settings > System > Sound > "App volume and device preferences" button at the bottom.

Okay, I figured it probably did. Never really had to use this feature until now...

24 minutes ago, linkboy said:

I liked Windows 8 on a tablet, on a desktop it was an annoying experience, adding a more conventional start menu made it better but still not great for desktop. It's baffling why MS went in the direction of making a touch screen UI and forced it on everyone, and not detecting if a system has a touch screen. I tried W11 on a laptop and don't like it so far, middle start menu button shouldn't be forced, pinning apps shouldn't be so complicated, and the simplified context menus are so much worse.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Nope. It is a transparency effect with a frosted look and only considers the wallpaper

If it only considers the wallpaper it's not a transparency, it should consider what's inmediatly behind the Window 

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

All that "security" bullshit features will sure hog resources. 

I tried the leaked ISO and the performance was terrible, way worse than W10 or 7.

Yeah it sure is a heavy resource hog: (Specs in my signature, running the current public version)

image.png.f5a7059249208196757a8a6d61bf5dee.png

You tried a fucking pre-pre-release version. Don't expect the standard version to be anything like that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, linkboy said:

Microsoft is in a bit of a hard spot compared to Apple and Google because of the devices Windows has to support. Google doesn't have to worry about hardware/software from 25 years ago because ChromeOS and Android didn't exist back then, Windows did. Apple controls everything related to their OS and hardware, so they can just tell legacy users to kick rocks and you really don't have a choice. Microsoft doesn't want to drop legacy support in Windows (which is commendable, but it's really starting to impact the OS).

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that:

1) Microsoft killed support for anything older than like 4 years with the release of Windows 11.

2) Even the "built from the ground up" stuff is horribly coded and relies on old code, such as the new Explorer that I talked about in this post.

The problem isn't legacy support. The problem is that Microsoft are lazy and incompetent. They are just not good at making an OS.

1 hour ago, VirtualBlack said:

If it only considers the wallpaper it's not a transparency, it should consider what's inmediatly behind the Window 

Wait, seriously? That's intentional?
I thought it was because of my hardware acceleration being broken or something (mostly used it in a VM) . You're absolutely right, it is not transparency if it doesn't actually reflect what's behind it.

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that:

1) Microsoft killed support for anything older than like 4 years with the release of Windows 11.

2) Even the "built from the ground up" stuff is horribly coded and relies on old code, such as the new Explorer that I talked about in this post.

The problem isn't legacy support. The problem is that Microsoft are lazy and incompetent. They are just not good at making an OS.

In the world of Microsoft, support falls under two categories: Hardware, and Software.

1) addresses the Hardware support and drivers. However, legacy apps and APIs will work in Windows 11 just as they had for Windows 10 (for the most part). This shouldn't be a surprise as MS supports Enterprise whereas Apple focuses on the consumer and BYOD to office market. For Apple, they're in a market position to cut off the old vestiges of both legacy hardware and software. From the software side of things, Microsoft can't; at least not without pissing off the enterprise sector.

So there you have it, the Consumer market has to endure cruft because enterprise moves at a snails pace.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

In the world of Microsoft, support falls under two categories: Hardware, and Software.

1) addresses the Hardware support and drivers. However, legacy apps and APIs will work in Windows 11 just as they had for Windows 10 (for the most part). This shouldn't be a surprise as MS supports Enterprise whereas Apple focuses on the consumer and BYOD to office market. For Apple, they're in a market position to cut off the old vestiges of both legacy hardware and software. From the software side of things, Microsoft can't; at least not without pissing off the enterprise sector.

So there you have it, the Consumer market has to endure cruft because enterprise moves at a snails pace.

Yes, but even Microsoft's new software is terribly written. Not because they have to keep legacy support going, but because they just don't give a shit about their code quality.

We now see like 4 layers of Windows editions all over the place and while a lot of control panel has now been rewritten, there is still tons of legacy stuff looking like Win10.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, but even Microsoft's new software is terribly written. Not because they have to keep legacy support going, but because they just don't give a shit about their code quality.

How do you know it has been terribly written? You have NO IDEA on the decisions, time constraints, goals, risk analysis and cost analysis discussions. All you are doing are clueless assumptions. Where is your source that it is terrible?

I see i can enable this TPU 2.0 in my B350-F board but .. From the news regarding W11 games are hit hard.. I think i will wait a while before i make the switch..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Oh wow, they even screwed up little things Microsoft. I used to drop shortcut to Notepad into shell:sendto so I could quickly open binary files with text editor and fiddle with them. Microsoft moved Notepad to UWP garbage pile because Notepad totally needs to be updates so regularly it has to be UWP thing now. And because it's UWP app, I can't point a shortcut to it which means I can't use it to edit any file anymore. Holy f**king s**t Microsoft.

Now I'll have to install a 3rd party app just to do this. Idiotic beyond belief.

Microsoft moved Notepad to UWP garbage pile because Notepad totally needs to be updates so regularly it has to be UWP thing now. And because it's UWP app, I can't point a shortcut to it which means I can't use it to edit any file anymore. Holy f**king s**t Microsoft.

My spidey sense tells me they're going the path of their own "Notepad++".

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Oh wow, they even screwed up little things Microsoft. I used to drop shortcut to Notepad into shell:sendto so I could quickly open binary files with text editor and fiddle with them. Microsoft moved Notepad to UWP garbage pile because Notepad totally needs to be updates so regularly it has to be UWP thing now. And because it's UWP app, I can't point a shortcut to it which means I can't use it to edit any file anymore. Holy f**king s**t Microsoft.

Now I'll have to install a 3rd party app just to do this. Idiotic beyond belief.

This isn't new. I believe there is a way.

Beside you can just do Open With > Notepad