Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And these are just the things I have noticed are regressions when going from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I haven't even mentioned the other issues I got with Windows 11, like it is clearly not anywhere near done because a lot of features they promised and promoted will not be included in the OS on day 1. Such as Android app support, consistent UI, higher performance, quick Bluetooth settings, and so on.

Ok, you've used it way more than I have. I only got around to putting the dev preview on a system but never used it in anger.

Of your list, much of it does sound like bugs or omissions, whether intentional or not remains to be seen.

From a personal viewpoint, the only feature of possible interest is DirectStorage but that will be added to Win10 anyway.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And, Microsoft could just make the new scheduler available for Windows 10 if they wanted. Hell, the new scheduler was most likely developed on Windows 10.

That arguably comes down to what defines a new OS version, with the code undergoing ongoing changes with time. Win11 is giving me Win10 with an adjusted skin feel similar to other major version changes at least going back to Vista, maybe even all the way back to NT3.x.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Of your list, much of it does sound like bugs or omissions, whether intentional or not remains to be seen.

Yep. Some of it has been confirmed to be bugs, some stuff has been confirmed to be "coming in the future" and some stuff they haven't commented on. It remains to be seen how much gets fixed and when it gets fixed.

Like I said earlier, I think they need at least 1 more year of development time to iron out the major issues Windows 11 has right now.

9 minutes ago, porina said:

That arguably comes down to what defines a new OS version, with the code undergoing ongoing changes with time. Win11 is giving me Win10 with an adjusted skin feel similar to other major version changes at least going back to Vista, maybe even all the way back to NT3.x.

I agree.

I'll be upgrading (more like a fresh install) to Windows 11 on my home PC, but will leave 10 on the work PC and laptop for at least 12 months. I'm expecting a lot of bugs to shake out between launch and a year later. But at least I'll be getting familiar with the new OS from a support side of things.

1 hour ago, hollyh88 said:

Huh didnt know some of this. good to know. Yeah i basically didnt have much money when i set it up first time around. and well never wanted to bother with installing windows on another drive. 

I feel the pain, when i got my 120 GB SSD i could barely fit it into my budget and at that time everything was fine, but after upgrading to 16Gb of ram my storage just dissipated out of nowhere, out of all PC's i had running windows 10 it just kept happening on this one, and after a while i figured out this is actually the problem, i "fixed it" on my end reducing the page file to 4096MB (any lower then this and your just asking for problems at one point), and removing hibernation entirely, i freed up half of my SSD like this.

47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Like I said earlier, I think they need at least 1 more year of development time to iron out the major issues Windows 11 has right now.

I think you also said earlier people probably shouldn't be rushing to "upgrade" main systems, which is the approach I'm taking with my more important systems. I've got a test system prepared to get the update ASAP so I can get used to it before I apply it to other systems. Same system that had the preview I never really used.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, porina said:

I think you also said earlier people probably shouldn't be rushing to "upgrade" main systems, which is the approach I'm taking with my more important systems. I've got a test system prepared to get the update ASAP so I can get used to it before I apply it to other systems. Same system that had the preview I never really used.

Might be best to wait for general availability for a main system, if one seek reliability. Not because of Windows per se, but more for drivers and UEFI updates. ASUS, for example, has been issuing many UEFI updates for its AMD boards due to a serious performance issues the moment fTPM is enabled (The issue also occurs under Win10... fTPM is disabled by default on their board). Some had their issue solved, or improved, but many still ongoing. ASUS isn't alone. They are other board manufacturers. You can see that they pretty much never tested TPM. And reviewers didn't either.

It's a mess, and those DIY motherboard manufacturers waited the last minute (as usual) before starting to fix things.

Drivers is the usual story. First drivers are typically fine, but you might have that game that has this strange performance issue or face graphical bug due to some quirk or issue that later drivers tend to fix once more people dive in, issue is discovered and fixed. 

For me, I don't mind, in fact it is on the Insider program, because my personal PC is not my work PC. Work PC will remain on Win10 for a long time. Even when there is a new version of Win10 that comes out, unless there is an important need for my work flow, like when WSL2 came out, it doesn't get updated day 1.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • WSLg is also coming to Windows 10
  • The new Store is also coming to Windows 10

If I were using windows, that took away 70% of the reason I would've switched to 11

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh boy... a long time... hope you guys enjoy these.

We're blessed to have you around to set the facts straight about Windows 11 and providing this detailed guide. Otherwise, the forum would be... 
Wells Fargo data center workers attempting to restore customers accounts.  Colorized, 2019.: BikiniBottomTwitter

on launch day

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I will 100% be updating as soon as I get confirmation that the ASRock B450M Pro 4 Mobo I have won't brick. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I'll just stay on Windows 10 for the time being, and I recommend everyone else do the same too.

agree, i bet some stores will offer a downgrade after the inevitable user backlash just like the vista days.

windows 10 is gonna be microsofts new xp, and i don't think they are gonna be able to kill it this time.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

23 hours ago, Seyrren said:

...and removing hibernation entirely, i freed up half of my SSD like this.

Exactly. I never understood the need to put a PC in hibernation. Laptop, obviously. But a desktop??

For those that want to free up space by disabling the hibernation file, you can do so from an elevated command prompt.

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

I just finished my new 5900x rig last week and decided to install the release preview build and overall, I am enjoying it. I have had a few bugs with explorer and the start menu, but it hasn't been anything major and the missing features from win 10 have not been a hinderance to me. I don't do much "work" on my computer anymore, and it is mainly for gaming and the occasional side gig doing some SketchUp modeling.

My workstation at the office is running 10 and I would not want to run 11 on it this early in its cycle. I am looking forward to seeing how it improves over the next 12-18 months of updates.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Noob question, sorry I have lost it in this endless news feed of (un)supported CPUs: Given a TPM, will I be able to install Win11 on my 6700K machine or do I finally need to switch to Ryzen?

16 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Exactly. I never understood the need to put a PC in hibernation. Laptop, obviously. But a desktop??

For those that want to free up space by disabling the hibernation file, you can do so from an elevated command prompt.

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

If you do that, you'll loose Fast startup feature

1 minute ago, Dracarris said:

Noob question, sorry I have lost it in this endless news feed of (un)supported CPUs: Given a TPM, will I be able to install Win11 on my 6700K machine or do I finally need to switch to Ryzen?

You won't get the OS through Windows Update, but you can do an install from an ISO.

Whether or not updates get delivered is another story (I'm in the same boat with my 6700HQ).

23 hours ago, Seyrren said:

any lower then this and your just asking for problems at one point

My gaming PC has it completely disabled, no reason to keep it on wih 32 gigs of RAM....

Excellent write-up. A lot of information and features I didn't even pick up on before, including several useful ones personally.

As much as I'd like to take it for a spin, ultimately comes down to timing and letting all the kinks work themselves out, including with board manufacturers and developers. 

I am excited for the Windows 11 update. And good job on the write up coz, I just realized that there are features that I actually care about (unlike how Panos Panay wasted a lot of my time on how teams was going to change my life)

On 10/3/2021 at 9:11 PM, LAwLz said:

For example Explorer. The new Explorer is not its own independent program. Instead, it is a shell extension that runs on top of the old Explorer. That's why you can find a lot of posts about people finding glitches where the old Explorer loads instead of the new one. Microsoft has programmed Explorer to first launch the old Explorer, and then basically apply a theme to it, instead of just making the "themed" version the regular version. The same applies to most if not all of their "fluent design" APIs.

Oh boy. This is the dumbest thing I heard of in a while. I haven't personally tried Windows 11, but if the UI just keeps glitching out every now and then, for the sake of sanity, I shouldn't update personal laptop to it.

And somehow I'm not even completely surprised by this. 

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Oh boy. This is the dumbest thing I heard of in a while

If i had to bet id say they are too afraid to modify the original because they fear it would break something else in the spaghetti code.....

22 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Oh boy. This is the dumbest thing I heard of in a while. I haven't personally tried Windows 11, but if the UI just keeps glitching out every now and then, for the sake of sanity, I shouldn't update personal laptop to it.

And somehow I'm not even completely surprised by this. 

Because that is not how it works. If that was the case, then in Safe Mode or when DWM is killed, you'll get the old File Explorer.

To me, it looks like that the code uses a different flow. Probably sharing code base with Windows 10 and 11 that way. In other words, 1 File Explorer for both OSs but allows both to have their different look and feel. The issue is that not all flows were considered. Right now, the only flow that shows the old file explorer is if you open Control Panel or any sub panel in Control Panel.

Similar strategy where, soon, Edge web browsers will use the Windows 11 Fluent design right-click menu (have the acrylic effect). This way it would work on all OSs it supports.

So anything on AMD cpus and gaming performance? Asking out of caution more than anything. Saw wan show say there is a significant gaming perf hit

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

11 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

So anything on AMD cpus and gaming performance? Asking out of caution more than anything. Saw wan show say there is a significant gaming perf hit

It has been identified that for many motherboards, the moment fTPM is enabled, performance is reduced. This should not happen. It seems that they all working on trying to patch the issue. But it is still ongoing. Clearly, no one bothered testing this, including reviewer's.

Some had enough, and just bought a dedicated TPM chip and used that instead of fTPM. But I have not read so far if the problem is solved, beside claiming that they will do this. So I don't know.

Some performance hit could also be due to the security systems... but you know, that is why you have a fancy computer... software catches up to the hardware. Of that is the case, expect future chip to probably improve their security acceleration systems to eliminate the impact

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Because that is not how it works. If that was the case, then in Safe Mode or when DWM is killed, you'll get the old File Explorer.

To me, it looks like that the code uses a different flow. Probably sharing code base with Windows 10 and 11 that way. In other words, 1 File Explorer for both OSs but allows both to have their different look and feel. The issue is that not all flows were considered. Right now, the only flow that shows the old file explorer is if you open Control Panel or any sub panel in Control Panel.

Similar strategy where, soon, Edge web browsers will use the Windows 11 Fluent design right-click menu (have the acrylic effect). This way it would work on all OSs it supports.

No, that is actually how it works. I can prove this.

If you block the shell extension "e2bf9676-5f8f-435c-97eb-11607a5bedf7" from running, and then restart Explorer, you get the old file Explorer back.

The shell extension is called "Ribbon Modern Share Verb" and is part of the ntshrui.dll file.

And yes, it is loaded in safe mode as well.

Untitled.thumb.png.8a5d7cc2d61b0fc6033ff17d4f349296.png

But yes, you're right that from some "flows", you get the old Explorer as well, such as if you go from the control panel to file explorer.

That does not change the fact that the new explorer UI is essentially running on top of the old one though. You might say it's so that they can share code base between 10 and 11, but honestly, with all the resources Microsoft has it is really too much to ask that they actually do things properly and not just stack all their new stuff on top of the old stuff?