Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
38 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Just a sidenote - the 11 context menus and taskbar will be configurable to older Windows versions by 3rd party program - StartAllBack. Good stuff.

This is awesome, literally solves all my gripes with 11 shell in one go, and perfectly smooth! Guess I can upgrade now... 😄

Even right click on taskbar has the menu again

11ok.thumb.png.6d5d3f32ea2542247ce9fa0b75313f74.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

This is awesome, literally solves all my gripes with 11 shell in one go, and perfectly smooth! Guess I can upgrade now... 😄

But at that point, why even upgrade?

Windows 11 is mostly just a UI refresh of Windows 10, and if your problem with Windows 11 is the UI, what reason is there to upgrade?

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Windows 11 is mostly just a UI refresh of Windows 10

Because that's just wrong?

There are clearly quite a few "under the hood" improvements given that 11 has been running better than 10 on any test system I've put it on now, not to mention the new features like WSLg, WSA etc that'll likely never come to 10. 

And I didn't say I didn't like the W11 UI, I actually prefer most of its aspects, just that there was one specific thing I couldn't live with and a couple that I didn't really mind but is nice to have the choice, and the above program solves those. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Um usb to ethernet adapter? :old-unsure:

It doesn't matter, Windows will detect there is internet capability and you're not connected. And it'll just sit there like an idiot waiting for you to connect and not give you option to skip. Whole thing is pretty stupid and Microsoft should just drop their stupid idea of forcing online accounts in Home versions. Like, WHY!? I block your junk with NextDNS anyway to a point no telemetry or syncing even works. Jesus.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It doesn't matter, Windows will detect there is internet capability and you're not connected. And it'll just sit there like an idiot waiting for you to connect and not give you option to skip. Whole thing is pretty stupid and Microsoft should just drop their stupid idea of forcing online accounts in Home versions. Like, WHY!? I block your junk with NextDNS anyway to a point no telemetry or syncing even works. Jesus.

you should get the edition that best fit your needs. Not our problem if you picked the wrong edition. You can upgrade. I gave you a workaround, if you don't like it, then I don't know what to say. Post on the feedback hub your complaint and if there is enough people that care, Microsoft might consider your opinion. So far, only a handful of people complain from what I can see. 8 upvotes split into 3 entries. I know it sucks, but it is like this. Microsoft sees (in my opinion) that power users, devs, IT, and such, go after the Pro edition, and everyone else (beside Enterprise and schools which has their own editions) go with Home.... those are the people who are just not affected by this requirement, and probably will benefit for this more then having the ability to skip that phase and deal with it later.

(I remind you the number of threads on this very forum of people signing up into the Store (back with Win8 and early days of Win10), and click on the checkbox/button to switch their system to the MS linked account, and after their next restarts can't login anymore, as now they need to use their MS linked account password instead).

Just now, GoodBytes said:

you should get the edition that best fit your needs.

Yeah, that was my plan. Exact same ISO image gave me option to pick which version to install on my PC. On laptop, it just automatically decided I shall have garbage Home version... thus the problems.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It doesn't matter

Yes it does matter, tested it on vbox and works like a charm. After it confirms that there is internet it goes ahead and tries to download updates. If you pull out the ethernet cable (not the adapter!) during this it will jump straight to local account creation.

30 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

If you pull out the ethernet cable (not the adapter!) during this it will jump straight to local account creation.

I'll try this as it seems to be a viable work-around. Unfortunately, this is a "bug" that will eventually be patched in future builds. 

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Even right click on taskbar has the menu again

Yup, just found this myself, love having the quick start menu back and best of all NEVER COMBINE on the taskbar!!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

-= Topic Cleaned =-

If it is too much trouble to ask. Let's keep this topic civil.

I get troubleshooting can get frustrating BUT there no need to bring the conversation down to dramaville level.

~Sans

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

For those who like to swap CPUs - Ryzen L3 cache perf drop may return if you do so.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

-= Second Cleaning =-

Apparently, one wasn't enough to make the point clear.

Discontinue the argument, otherwise more than a cleaning will done.

Understood?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

how do guys access task manager quickly now? also you can't force task bar to change accent color?

I've pinned Task Manager to Taskbar as an icon XD

I HATE Windows 11 so far

This gives you back the missing taskbar and explorer options and menus plus a few more:

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/

F@H

GPD Win 2