Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do we even know if Windows 11 is "more secure" than Windows 10? Ignoring the issue you raised where Microsoft might not release security updates to some Windows 11 machines, I haven't really seen anything that indicates that it is more secure. I mean, stuff like VBS is available (and in many cases even enabled by default) on Windows 10, and that seems to be the "killer feature" of Windows 11 as far as security goes.

Maybe it's by design, but on my Windows 10 PC with Hyper-V, if I create a Windows 11 VM (Secure Boot with TPM), VBS isn't turned on automatically. But, I'm able to turn it on and validate with a subsequent required reboot. I haven't checked if this is the same behavior with a bare metal install though.

Would be nice if webpage of a a multibillion corporation would at least work when they launch a product. This is pathetic.

Is there a verified torrent for the Windows 11 ISO (EN-US)?

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

Maybe it's by design, but on my Windows 10 PC with Hyper-V, if I create a Windows 11 VM (Secure Boot with TPM), VBS isn't turned on automatically. But, I'm able to turn it on and validate with a subsequent required reboot. I haven't checked if this is the same behavior with a bare metal install though.

From what I've seen, it's not being enabled on clean installs or upgrades from Windows 10 if you had it disabled (it will be turned on in an upgrade if you had it enabled on Windows 10).

I don't have a computer to test it on, but when I did a clean install on 2000.194 on my Thinkpad P50 last week, it wasn't enabled (my computer is unsupported though, with a 6700HQ, but I can go into the security option in Settings and enable it, so that's something to keep in mind).

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

we're basically at a point where these corporations are so massive and have so much money that they don't give a shit their customers. Doesn't matter how loud the outcry is against their decisions, the ones that don't care (or don't know) are a much larger majority and therefore they can effectively just ignore people that disagree and write them off.

lets be extremely generous and say there are 1billion PCs running windows 10 in the world as of right now (there is no doubt, many more than this, but i like round numbers), to even make a dent in their market share of 1%, that's 10million users use would need to ditch windows and go to something else. Even if Linux was to double it's current userbase from people who left windows, that's +30million people, so 3% of Windows's current user base. In the grand scheme of things that's tiny,

according to:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/

there was a 3% shift in windows market share just from July - August 2021

(no idea what the "unknown" OS is")

Windows 98SE or earlier maybe.  There's still a lot of small businesses that still use Windows ME/2000/XP/98SE/98/95 and Windows 3.1/3.11

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Just FYI for anyone needing to download the ISO directly: I wasn't able to get the language selection to prompt until I used MS Edge (new Edge, based off Chromium). Apparently it's not working for me with Brave (Chromium) or Firefox.

I doubt is a browser engine compatibility issue insomuch as MS checking what browser you're using prior. Or, maybe it's just their servers are overloaded at times. 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Just FYI for anyone needing to download the ISO directly: I wasn't able to get the language selection to prompt until I used MS Edge (new Edge, based off Chromium). Apparently it's not working for me with Brave (Chromium) or Firefox.

I doubt is a browser engine compatibility issue insomuch as MS checking what browser you're using prior. Or, maybe it's just their servers are overloaded at times. 🤷‍♂️

I run Vivaldi (which is Chromium based as well) and just checked it and it worked for me.

This is pretty bad and awkward. So many entirely unnecessary changes and for things that were amazing. Quick access to user folders in start menu? GONE. Easy quick access to things like Task Manager and many other settings for Taskbar when right clicking it (Task Manager is now under STart right click wtf?)? GONE. Show all taskbar tray icons without having to enable one by one? GONE. Ability to have full size taskbar app buttons, GONE. Abilitz to use Dark taskbar and start menu, but bright windows. Also GONE. Come on Microsoft, wtf is this!? Language and local settings are still arbitrary idiocy that just can't seem to comprehend I want Windows interface in f**king English and keyboard in my own language all while localized settings are also for my language. How is this so god damn hard to make is just beyond me. Great, added my language for keyboard and now I can't get rid of stupid language selection button. Seriously Microsoft?!?!?!?

The new "Show more options" everywhere is such a retarded design. Why it's not a slide out context menu instead of this having to click but have no idea what's behind it all while it makes original menu disappear? So, if stuff you were looking for isn't there you need to reopen whole frigging thing.

Oh and I love how i had to install this thing. Because Rufus used GPT by default for the ISO I had to disable SecureBoot so I could even install this thing. LOLZ? SO MUCH SECURE and it needs all this SecureBoot and TPM crap and then steps on its own tail and trips over.

Part of me was excited, but now I actually feel like Manjaro with KDE feels more modern, polished and just better to use. Boy we've come far...

EDIT:

Also funny that Attestation security is not supported on Ryzen 5800X. Which was supported in Windows 10 before on same system. What a joke of an OS that brags about security on all ends.

52 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

This is pretty bad and awkward. So many entirely unnecessary changes and for things that were amazing. Quick access to user folders in start menu? GONE.

That is not gone. 
Settings > Personalization > Start > Folders

Easy quick access to things like Task Manager

Yes, that was removed. Or not added back, I should say, as the task bar is a new code base.

- Ctrl + Shit + Esc

- Right-click on the Start button > Task Manager

and many other settings for Taskbar when right clicking it (Task Manager is now under STart right click wtf?)? GONE.

I am sure Microsoft look at its telemetry data and concluded what was a priority to add back. What actual settings do you use?

Show all taskbar tray icons without having to enable one by one? GONE.

This was probably a design choice to have a clean layout, and actually display what is important and remove what isn't.

Ability to have full size taskbar app buttons, GONE.

This was probably not added back, because it wasn't there under Windows 10X either. And If you had, the Start menu would quickly move to the left side and not center.

Language and local settings are still arbitrary idiocy that just can't seem to comprehend I want Windows interface in f**king English and keyboard in my own language all while localized settings are also for my language. How is this so god damn hard to make is just beyond me.

I don't recall this issue, ever (since Win10), as you are it is not program specific issue? (or maybe I am not understanding you).

The new "Show more options" everywhere is such a retarded design. Why it's not a slide out context menu instead of this having to click but have no idea what's behind it all while it makes original menu disappear? So, if stuff you were looking for isn't there you need to reopen whole frigging thing.

Microsoft did update the way apps are added to the right-click menu. So the "show more" needs to stay for loading the old menu for loading the registered dll for each program who chooses to add an entry in there. Currently I don't know what the new design brings, however, it could solve the issue where if you have a craply made program who registered its crap made dll to add menu entry and takes 30sec to load (or whatever) it adds this 30sec load time each item your right-click. I have to read this new implementation..  I wonder if they multi-threaded it. The way the menu acts, like for "new" items, suggested that they finally did this.

Oh and I love how i had to install this thing. Because Rufus used GPT by default for the ISO I had to disable SecureBoot so I could even install this thing. LOLZ? SO MUCH SECURE and it needs all this SecureBoot and TPM crap and then steps on its own tail and trips over.

No. I don't know what Rufus is doing, but if you are using Media Creation Tool, you should have no problem (unless the problem is with your UEFI or its settings set).

Windows Central released the video tour of Windows 11:

It also provides some additional information on UX design. Interesting to watch

Downloading the ISO worked fine with Chrome here, and I can confirm installation via DISM still works fine with retail on a woefully unsupported system (C2Q 8200) and also runs like a charm. 

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This was probably not added back, because it wasn't there under Windows 10X either. And If you had, the Start menu would quickly move to the left side and not center.

The lack of this still makes it essentially unusable for real use for me. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

42 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Language and local settings are still arbitrary idiocy that just can't seem to comprehend I want Windows interface in f**king English and keyboard in my own language all while localized settings are also for my language. How is this so god damn hard to make is just beyond me. Great, added my language for keyboard and now I can't get rid of stupid language selection button. Seriously Microsoft?!?!?!?

That might be my fault. 😦  I pointed you to the English ISO when in fact you probably needed the English International ISO.

45 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also funny that Attestation security is not supported on Ryzen 5800X. Which was supported in Windows 10 before on same system.

I'm not surprised given this is the first release of Windows 11. I'm not giving them a pass here, but I do understand this being par for the course from MS.

That said, did you download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD? You probably need that to have attestation function properly. The chipset drivers in the ISO is probably bare-bones just to get the system to boot and run with minimal functionality.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

That might be my fault. 😦  I pointed you to the English ISO when in fact you probably needed the English International ISO.

I'm not surprised given this is the first release of Windows 11. I'm not giving them a pass here, but I do understand this being par for the course from MS.

That said, did you download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD? You probably need that to have attestation function properly. The chipset drivers in the ISO is probably bare-bones just to get the system to boot and run with minimal functionality.

The "International" just means British English instead of US English. Languages are still all f**ked up. Have been since Windows 8 and still are in Windows 11. Microsoft is incompetent making a functional language selection for anything other than EN US. They seem to have no clue for anything outside of that. I just don't know how the hell freaking Linux manages it. Or Android. Or iOS. Just not Windows. It's beyond baffling.

I've often had weird language combinations and it's never been an issue?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The lack of this still makes it essentially unusable for real use for me. 

You'll get used to it. I did.

well this is going to be a mess, Please linux gaming get better by 2025 so I can switch to it before windows 10 dies off.
I've got no reason to want to move to windows 11. its going to be a buggy mess for a while

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well this is going to be a mess, Please linux gaming get better by 2025 so I can switch to it before windows 10 dies off.
I've got no reason to want to move to windows 11. its going to be a buggy mess for a while

You should try it instead of dismissing it from screen shots.

Requiring internet connection and online account for an OS in itself is a deal-breaker, the rest is just the cherry on top.....

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You should try it instead of dismissing it from screen shots.

I'm not against trying it but no way I'm putting it on a daily use machine this early on. I think the UI refresh is nice to see and it looks better I just don't trust under the hood

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You'll get used to it. I did.

Absolutely not, and I don't want to even if I could. When I have 10 explorer windows open there is no reason I should have them hidden in a single icon instead of seeing them there, with the titles, and being able to directly click on the one I want. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

26 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've often had weird language combinations and it's never been an issue?

I don't believe it. I want interface language as English US, Localization settings set to Slovenian and ONLY have ONE keyboard, set to Slovenian. And every time I want to set all 3 settings Windows just spergs out like it's retarded. It'll have interface in US English and apps will be in Slovenian for some stupid reason, half of Microsoft Store will be in English and rest in Slovenian. It'll have no clue what to do with time and date settings even though I told it to use Slovenian and it'll keep insisting on adding f**king US and UK keyboard for some dumb reason. It's an absolute nightmare.

21 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Requiring internet connection and online account for an OS in itself is a deal-breaker, the rest is just the cherry on top.....

Yes, for Home Edition. Otherwise if an Ethernet or WiFi connection isn't available (even if no NIC is installed), it will not let you proceed as the "Next" button remains grayed out with a link telling you to visit "aka.ms/networksetup"

But no problem creating an offline local only account with Professional Edition.

Just now, StDragon said:

Yes, for Home Edition. Otherwise if an Ethernet or WiFi connection isn't available (even if no NIC is installed), it will not let you proceed as the "Next" button remains grayed out with a link telling you to visit "aka.ms/networksetup"

But no problem creating an offline local only account with Professional Edition.

One more reason to buy that Pro license for 5€. Coz FU Microsoft.

Oh my god I can't believe how stupid new Taskbar overflow is. In Windows 10 I set it to always show all tray icons and that was it. Now in Windows 11, every f**king app I install and want it visible down there in tray area I have to go into settings and enable each and every after every installation. Beyond moronic. It gets even worse when I now have duplicated "Explorer" and "NVIDIA Container" and one does nothing where other shows or hides an icon. Really marvelous design.

Also I can't believe how stupid is the centered Start button. And it's not just "old habits die hard". It's just stupid. With left alignment, you just move mouse all the way in the corner. It stops on Start. With default centered retardation you have to specifically pinpoint Start button with absolute precision. And if you think it's for touch, it makes even less sense. On tablet, you hold it on left and right side. With Left start you have Start access with left hand and thumb. In center it's out of reach of both hands. It's like Microsoft put exactly zero thought process into shit they push as default.

And to rant even further, despite everyone hating on Tiles in Start menu, at least I could arrange them ANY way I liked, grouped them together with gaps or even in dropdown categories. Now they are ordered list from top to bottom, no grouping, no sorting. We just went 15 years back in time. F**k off Microsoft with your arbitrary bulls**t "innovation". And people said Vista was terrible. I loved Vista despite its few quirks and issues it had. It was new with time tested approach. This is just straight up idiotic for the sake of "change". Yeah, it's so bad I love Manjaro KDE even more now and I wish gaming was the same on Linux so I could dumb this sack of crap. But I can't because i'M a gAmER. ASUS Transformer just straight up couldn't install Windows 11 as it crapped itself during clean install and I'm not even going to bother to format the Ryzen 2500U laptop that runs Manjaro at the moment. It's staying where it is as that's not for gaming and it works absolutely beautiful.

Hi all,

Reporting that a LOT of users seem to be getting reports from Windows Update they're not eligible despite meeting all requirements:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-upgrade-windows-update-and-pc-health/51bde546-1f2a-4ee0-b588-65d8a6ad2944?rtAction=1633456844061

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

My discord has been getting flooded, but there's not much I can do. Right now the media creation tool appears to be the "best" workaround

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor