Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes

I'm thinking of switching back to win 10 on my laptop,  but im not sure what happens when I disable tpm and secure boot and then switch back to 11 (i have 10 and 11 on 2 separate drives) do i have to enable tpm / secure boot every time i switch back to 11? What happens if i don't turn it on?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm thinking of switching back to win 10 on my laptop,  but im not sure what happens when I disable tpm and secure boot and then switch back to 11 (i have 10 and 11 on 2 separate drives) do i have to enable tpm / secure boot every time i switch back to 11? What happens if i don't turn it on?

Why not leave them on for 10?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

31 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Why not leave them on for 10?

Well I'm pretty sure its a performance penalty, especially since the cpu is not supported and stuff?

I mean i could just try it out (both ways) but I don't want to mess up my win 11 install, so it should still work without secure boot i think,  but im not sure about tpm?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

They don't have performance penalties, no (well, other than the AMD issue that some are seeing currently but it's a bug and is going to be solved). Secure boot is as its name implies only doing things at boot time, TPM is just a component that's there for the OS to ask things from at very specific times like boot, login etc. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Using Win 11 as a clean install on my desktop. Got a new 1tb NVME SSD anyway so Windows was going to be a clean install anyway. My laptop on to other hand was suitable for Win 11 apart from the CPU!!! Used the beta for a few weeks on it anyhow and performance was okay. However, a few lockups were observed when displaying large photos. Went back to Win 10  which seems snappier and sharper to the eye. Is it me has Win 10 gained Win 11 style widgets or did i just not notice them before????

• In Windows 11, I've noticed under the App section there is a feature called Archive APPS and it's turned on by default. That thing basically uninstalls app that hasn't been used in a while and will try to reinstall, when you use it again. Problem is it will only reinstall if the app is still exist and available for download. I disabled that archive app feature.
  • There was another section talking about where to install apps from and it gives the option of anywhere to Microsoft Store only. I assumed this was for app that's located inside the Microsoft store, where as if I go to the MS store to download a app, it's actually from them. or apps that's been checked or approved by Microsoft, and not some 3rd party malicious app that sneaked it's way in tricking users to think it's legit. After setting get app from Microsoft store only, none of setup installer works. Tried to update Nvidia drivers it says app is not from the MS store. Went back and set install apps from MS Store only  to Anywhere.
  • When saving a image from the internet, during the saving part it will say the format of that picture say JPG, but once it's saved, the format of that picture turns from JPG to JFIF. I have no idea how do you even pronounce that lol, but it seems only JPG has this automatic extension change. Other image format stays the same so PNG will stay as PNG.
  • When opening, maximizing, or windowing a open window it gives that popup in your face effect. I don't know if anyone notice that, but this effect goes back to the early Windows Me/2000 days, where is also has a similar effect when opening Windows.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

When saving a image from the internet, during the saving part it will say the format of that picture say JPG, but once it's saved, the format of that picture turns from JPG to JFIF. I have no idea how do you even pronounce that lol, but it seems only JPG has this automatic extension change. Other image format stays the same so PNG will stay as PNG.

Tried replicating this. I could not. Both in Edge and Vivaldi, when saving a jpg, it would still be a jpg once saved.

I do appreciate learning about the app archive thing. What a dumb feature to have enabled by default...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

35 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

the format of that picture turns from JPG to JFIF.

Five sec google:

IDK whats the big idea, pretty dumb if you ask me....

Looking at the system requirements. Microsoft states you can use an IR camera or finger print to log in to Windows or use it as a two factor system. Has anyone tried a Finger Print scanner? I love being able to log in to my Mac with my Finger Print and would love to have that on my Windows PC.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

30 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Tried replicating this. I could not. Both in Edge and Vivaldi, when saving a jpg, it would still be a jpg once saved.

I do appreciate learning about the app archive thing. What a dumb feature to have enabled by default...

I tried replicating again too and now it doesn't do it anymore.JPG saves as JPG. odd, oh well, at least it's fixed or something.

The archive app enabled by default is the dumbest feature, that along with force online account for those running Windows 11 Home.

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Five sec google:

IDK whats the big idea, pretty dumb if you ask me....

Saved JPG pictures now says as JPG and not JFIF, but I can still open JFIF files and resave as JPG, so it's not a big deal for me. I don't know why that person has to do a registry hack.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Looking at the system requirements. Microsoft states you can use an IR camera or finger print to log in to Windows or use it as a two factor system. Has anyone tried a Finger Print scanner? I love being able to log in to my Mac with my Finger Print and would love to have that on my Windows PC.

The IR camera is for signing in through Windows Hello, where it's similar to Apple Face ID. Finger print login, not that many uses that because most laptop these don't have a built in finger print reader, except for some premium/business line up. I think they have USB finger print scanners, but I've never tired them before. I do have a old laptop back in the Windows Vista days that has a built in finger print scanner for Windows Login and it worked pretty well.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The fingerprint reader on my Thinkpad P50 works perfectly fine on Windows 11

There are many Windows laptops with fingerprint scanners. Been a thing for decades even but obviously it becomes more popular now. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, linkboy said:

The fingerprint reader on my Thinkpad P50 works perfectly fine on Windows 11

I’ve heard the USB ones tend to work poorly. I could consider a camera, but I don’t video chat often. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

how do guys access task manager quickly now? also you can't force task bar to change accent color?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

12 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

how do guys access task manager quickly now? also you can't force task bar to change accent color?

Right click start button and task manager

3 button method

Map one of your mouse button to bring up task manager

Change accent color on the taskbar works fine on Win11. Need to first toggle it from automatic to manual, to let you pick the accent color you want for your taskbar.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Change accent color on the taskbar works fine on Win11. Need to first toggle it from automatic to manual, to let you pick the accent color you want for your taskbar.

huh, i'm still avoiding this until they let us drag files into taskbar into an different app. as someone who edits, its awful they even removed it., also what's the point of having multiple desktops which you can save yet you can't even have different shortcuts in each of them and forced to have the same folders and shortcuts across all, also start menu organizations was a god send for VFX editors with bunch of apps, i remember win 10 when it came, but i hope they get some sense and puts back the old organizations and pinning folders in start menu

Spoiler

image.png.76e27383599845b39ec11072c76da6d4.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

42 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

• Ctrl + Shit + Esc
  • Right-click on Start button > Task Manager
  • Start > type: Task Manager (can show up by just typing "task" depends on your prior searches and selection) > Enter

21 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

huh, i'm still avoiding this until they let us drag files into taskbar into an different app. as someone who edits, its awful they even removed it., also what's the point of having multiple desktops which you can save yet you can't even have different shortcuts in each of them and forced to have the same folders and shortcuts across all, also start menu organizations was a god send for VFX editors with bunch of apps, i remember win 10 when it came, but i hope they get some sense and puts back the old organizations and pinning folders in start menu

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.76e27383599845b39ec11072c76da6d4.png

The tiles was basically what Microsoft had in mind when they were making mobile phones (I think they've stopped), so they bought the tiles over into their OS starting with Windows 8, and like always people complain and want to go back to to the old style. The live tiles were useful because it gives a quick glance at what's important to you and even let you group similar programs together into their own group category.

The live tiles live on through Win10, but with Win11, they kind of went back to the classic start menu.
Live tiles are on its own dedicated section called Widgets where it now requires login to work

True, they need to bring back the organizing of programs into the start menu.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

By the way, if someone wants to remove Cortana (which I think MS forgot to remove it).

Open Windows Terminal as Administrator (Right-click on Start button > pick: Windows Terminal (Admin)

Then type and execute:

winget uninstall cortana

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I am not on Windows 11 but... Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

By the way, if someone wants to remove Cortana (which I think MS forgot to remove it).

Open Windows Terminal as Administrator (Right-click on Start button > pick: Windows Terminal (Admin)

Then type and execute:

winget uninstall cortana

Just worked for me on Win 11 Enterprise. Thanks for the tip!

Microsoft has released the first cumulative update for Windows 11. Build 22000.258 has been released.

Not much was changed, but unsupported systems are receiving the update via Windows Update (installing it on my ThinkPad P50 right now).

Edit

Everything went smoothly and the update installed perfectly fine. My computer didn't blow up.