Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

There is a reason why so many companies have copied the ribbon design for their software. It was an improvement over what we'd been seeing for over 20 years.

I've hated Ribbons since forever, compared to toolbar drop downs hell nah.

image.thumb.png.6c208bb3c325d45cb1c2aaf30cc0f0d9.png 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:05 AM, Stahlmann said:

There is no performance difference.

Well that turned out to be wrong. My original comment being if there was gonna be a performance hit on and. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

14 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Source https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement-3806413/

Regedit is permanent. Why on earth would you need to install it over and over? 

Once you bypass the fTPM non-sense, it installs just like windows 10 and you're done. Windows still updates, and it will remain telling you that you can't upgrade even though you already did. 

So far, I haven't had any issues updating the operating system. Luckily that has nothing to do with hardware authentication such as the Mac address to each component in your system, the TPM is just an encrypted confirmation of the authentication.  Essentially pretty much totally useless. 

Thus, the simple work around I've given to you above so you can run your rig. And you're welcome.

The article talking about CPU not have a TPM. I already have a TPM so the CPU not having a TPM has nothing to do, with not able to upgrade to Win11. But I'll still try that method and see if it works.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 hours ago, ouroesa said:

2 Questions"

1. What is GA release?

2. Why can't I access the task manager by right clicking the taskbar? This and the new right click menu made me go back to Win10. Petty, I know but I use these a lot.

I don't think it's petty. The OS is suppose to make life easier not more difficult. The option to access task manager from the taskbar was convenient. On Win11, can still access task manager by right clicking on the start button. Default location for start is in the middle so they assume they can remove the feature away from the taskbar, when the start button is taking its place. When the start button is moved to its traditional location (on the left), getting to task manager by right clicking can get annoying because now you're force to a specific spot just to get to what you want.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

It also has a memory leak in the file explorer lol.

Windows 11 has a memory leak bug and here's how to fix it | PC Gamer

Windows 10 has the same memory leak. Check it out.
Anyway, fix is coming for both OS.

(fun fact Win98 had a similar memory leak, but that OS never got the fix).

On 10/6/2021 at 4:11 AM, GoodBytes said:

Don't think so. They already have one it's called VS Code which is superior to Notepad++

VSCode's startup times are atrocious. I click on notepad and it opens immediately. I hope they do something like that but with dark mode and syntax highlighting. Kinda like gedit.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, GoodBytes said:

Separating things has a cost to performance. There is no way around. It affects Linux based OSs as well.

Computers are plenty fast enough to afford this luxury. High-end phones are already there, and growing med range phone are also. Once low-end phone will reach those levels, I won't be surprised if Google changes Android to no longer have the need to have drivers and firmware baked into the OS, allowing users to get longer or better support. No longer at the merci of the manufacture. Google has been separating things under Android for a while, taking advantage of faster SoCs we now have.

Using frameworks, is the same as game engines. Sure there is a costs as you are loading stuff that you may not use, and optimization of the engine/framework might and most likely not perfectly align with your application. The advantage is that you don't need to reinvent the wheel multiple times, and deal with potential security issues, and more. You have people working on making the framework its best, by people who specializes with it

I disagree with this one. 

>Computers are plenty fast enough to afford this luxury
Yours and mine might be. But there are plenty of people in the world with 4 gigs of RAM in their laptop(eg surface go/ netbooks). Windows needs to be made for them too. I like to equate this with the web dev space. There is a reason why things like brotli compression and preactjs were made. It was to reduce the loadtimes of websites on 2G & 3G phones, which are still being heavily used. Similarly, not every app is meant to be written in electron which is honestly too bloated and bulky. There is a reason why native app developement using .net and java is still preferred over electron. The main problem with electron is that a lot of the apps written in it are things like spotify and discord, which you keep open ALONG with your other apps. And these apps just increase memory usage. 

>I won't be surprised if Google changes Android to no longer have the need to have drivers and firmware baked into the OS, allowing users to get longer or better support.

The reason why the drivers are tied with the OS is that since most of the underlying android software is GPL, which does not allow proprietary code, and the device/equipment makers, like qualcomm very often have proprietary drivers. So project mainline, which is somewhat close to what you are saying might never be fulfilled(unless these oem's make their drivers public or reach a special understanding with Google)

> You have people working on making the framework its best, by people who specializes with it
Nah, not true. I can literally make a shitty js framework and publish it onto npm in a few hours. I am personally batting for flutter, but framework people make a ton of poor design choices. Just take a look at angular and how it has aged like milk.

> You have people working on making the framework its best, by people who specializes with it

Yes, there is an advantage to it. It gives really good developement times and pretty much wora. But what I don't get is why, for apps like spotify, which already have most of their features implemented are still using electron.

Don't get me wrong, I love frameworks(I am a flutter fan), but as a consumer, if given a choice between a native app and framework app, then I would anyday pick the native one.

23 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Source https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement-3806413/

Regedit is permanent. Why on earth would you need to install it over and over? 

Once you bypass the fTPM non-sense, it installs just like windows 10 and you're done. Windows still updates, and it will remain telling you that you can't upgrade even though you already did. 

So far, I haven't had any issues updating the operating system. Luckily that has nothing to do with hardware authentication such as the Mac address to each component in your system, the TPM is just an encrypted confirmation of the authentication.  Essentially pretty much totally useless. 

Thus, the simple work around I've given to you above so you can run your rig. And you're welcome.

I just tried that method in the article and it does not work. The article is purely just there to get traffic to their site. Windows 11 still won't let you upgrade, when it detects a unsupported processor, even when TPM is bypassed.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 has the same memory leak. Check it out.
Anyway, fix is coming for both OS.

(fun fact Win98 had a similar memory leak, but that OS never got the fix).

Source? I just tested it in Windows 10 on my PC and it did not have any memory leaks. It went from 400MB to 80MB when I closed the windows.

In my Windows 11 VM, it went from 400MB to 310MB when I closed all windows.

3 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

VSCode's startup times are atrocious. I click on notepad and it opens immediately. I hope they do something like that but with dark mode and syntax highlighting. Kinda like gedit.

Notepad++ has darkmode. It also supports themes so if you aren't pleased with the default look you can change it.

I think a lot of people underestimate how powerful Notepad++ is. It is more resource efficient than regular notepad as well.

Highly recommended if you want a lightweight editor and don't feel like paying 100 dollars for Sublime Text. The only drawback of np++ is that it it is Windows-only.

13 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The article talking about CPU not have a TPM. I already have a TPM so the CPU not having a TPM has nothing to do, with not able to upgrade to Win11. But I'll still try that method and see if it works.

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I just tried that method in the article and it does not work. The article is purely just there to get traffic to their site. Windows 11 still won't let you upgrade, when it detects a unsupported processor, even when TPM is bypassed.

Did you disable TPM, maybe thats the trick?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Notepad++ has darkmode. It also supports themes so if you aren't pleased with the default look you can change it.

I think a lot of people underestimate how powerful Notepad++ is. It is more resource efficient than regular notepad as well.

Highly recommended if you want a lightweight editor and don't feel like paying 100 dollars for Sublime Text. The only drawback of np++ is that it it is Windows-only.

Notepad++ sounds like gedit, which is great. Sublime is a fine piece of software, and the free tier is fine. VSCode is almost an IDE, so I wouldn't compare it with that.

I would legitimately like it if MS wholesale rips off N++ or gedit instead of the absolute barebones notepad which lacks way too many features.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Source? I just tested it in Windows 10 on my PC and it did not have any memory leaks. It went from 400MB to 80MB when I closed the windows.

In my Windows 11 VM, it went from 400MB to 310MB when I closed all windows.

I don't know, it is easy to do:

37669746_Screenshot2021-10-08094324.png.3b8b4066d79fc8e8e833496d8bbaf070.png

I have to restart explorer to get it back down to 80MB. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know, it is easy to do:

37669746_Screenshot2021-10-08094324.png.3b8b4066d79fc8e8e833496d8bbaf070.png

I have to restart explorer to get it back down to 80MB. 

Weird. The memory went back to 80MB for me in Windows 10. It did not in Windows 11 though. 

Did you wait long enough for the memory to be feed up? It can take a little while. 

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Weird. The memory went back to 80MB for me in Windows 10. It did not in Windows 11 though. 

Did you wait long enough for the memory to be feed up? It can take a little while. 

Ok well let's see... I didn't touch anything since that last screenshot, beside opening file explorer for actual needs, and work:

2086028662_Screenshot2021-10-08120742.png.084f31ec8e64b42e2d0ca4dfae63dbed.png

I don't see a memory leak there, it's does not look to be growing continuously.

More like a sign of stuff only being loaded when needed then staying there once it is, which can be totally normal.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok well let's see... I didn't touch anything since that last screenshot, beside opening file explorer for actual needs, and work:

-image-

Well, I am not sure what to tell you.

Here is a video of me opening 340MB worth of Explorer windows in Windows 10, then closing them, and my memory falls back to where it started.

I can record a video of me doing the same thing in Windows 11 if you want, but the memory won't go back down in that.

@LAwLz Any difference if you spawn Explorer.exe into their own separate processes per window? The option under Folder Options (View tab) would be "Launch folder windows in a separate process"

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

@LAwLz Any difference if you spawn Explorer.exe into their own separate processes per window? The option under Folder Options (View tab) would be "Launch folder windows in a separate process"

I can try that out tomorrow, but my Windows 10 behaves exactly like my Windows 11 install (runs them in the same process).

On Windows 10 my memory doesn't leak.

On Windows 11 my memory leaks.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:05 AM, Arika S said:

If you want to get w10 functionality back, why not just fully roll back to w10? It even gives you the option. The first release of any version of Windows is rocky at best, go back to what you're used to and try again later.

The same thing will happen to w10 that happened to w7, and the same thing will happen to w11 that happened to w10: people will remember w10 in a good light because they don't like w11 and will stay with it as long as they can and call it the superior OS. While Windows 11 will always be critised for years to come because people had a bad first experience at launch and no matter what is changed or improved, it will be marred by the taste of salt already in their mouth.

This I would rather revert some portions of Win11 instead of rolling back. WSL is vastly improved. At least with OpenSuse though...GUI isn't quite at 100% yet - but at least the GUI doesn't require any fiddling to work:
image.thumb.png.2102a8d22c3750f9e4b25b49f6a24993.png

Edit: Ubuntu 20.04
image.thumb.png.8a2e15c3f70b48c42fbdc9e4b3ab2354.png

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I made the mistake of being lured by Windows 11 after finding out it's free to upgrade to if you had Windows 10.

.... It's "ok". But I strongly dislike what the did with the start menu and the taskbar.
They forcefully combine windows of the same type into the same icon. This makes multi tasking a huge pain in the ass unless you alt/win+tab all the time to pick and choose the window you want to open.

Spoiler

I have 3 explorer window opened.image.png.39f9ef60dd07ad04e4a904a12dbc8be1.png But only one icon. I have to hover on top of itimage.png.f7bec3945c84bb55a911c205d771b098.png

To see them and switch between them. Adding delays. With Win10, I could drag something from one explorer window to another even if it was minimized, I could just hover on top of the icon at the bottom to make it show up. This doesn't work anymore.

Then the start menu. I'm ok with change, would've been fine with it, with just the pinned apps... But the fact I can't get rid of that entire "recommended" section is something I strongly dislike. Because even if I disable them, this sh*t that MS made has the gall to stay there and tell me to reactivate it if I want to use it.

image.png.f2777be6f47960548b60508b1eee7829.png

How dare you. If I'm disabling it, it's because I DON'T WANT IT. Get rid of it!

Here's hoping either MS or someone else fixes both. Maybe OpenShell if they update to support Win11.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Well, I am not sure what to tell you.

Here is a video of me opening 340MB worth of Explorer windows in Windows 10, then closing them, and my memory falls back to where it started.

I can record a video of me doing the same thing in Windows 11 if you want, but the memory won't go back down in that.

It's not that I don't believe you. All I can say is: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sadly, all my other systems are under Win11, which of course has the same problem. Although, now that I am repeating it, it is indeed larger under Win11, goes up much quicker and while drops when closed quickly, remains higher then Win10. 

I guess they are 2 memory leaks, one small (maybe tiny one) under Win10, and a bigger one under Win11. Might be related or not. 

194431188_Screenshot2021-10-08185146.png.2ead2183eeb4df2c872a802da382a934.png

~20min later:

1671694609_Screenshot2021-10-08191335.png.bd65feea4127ceeefc3869de3b9bd6b5.png

Falls down to ~61MB after restarting explorer, and opening "This PC"

As for Win10 falls down to ~43MB
Both are around 40MB when restarted and never open any folders under WIn10, ~48MB for Win11

I assume the shell is what consumes a bit more memory between both OSs, which makes sense based on their implementation.

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

.But I strongly dislike what the did with the start menu and the taskbar.
They forcefully combine windows of the same type into the same icon. This makes multi tasking a huge pain in the ass unless you alt/win+tab all the time to pick and choose the window you want to open.

In Windows 10, you could change that under Personalization --> Taskbar --> "Combine buttons on other taskbars". The default was "Always, hide labels". You probably want to set that to "Never".

In Windows 11, no such option exists in the GUI. However a registry key does exist.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarGlomLevel"=dword:00000002

Note: The default DWORD value is 0. You want it to 2.

FYI, I wasn't able to get this to work in my Windows 11 VM. I'm assuming because it doesn't have an activated license; so it could be gimped. However if your copy is activated, give it a go and see if that helps ungroup the icons in the Taskbar.

16 minutes ago, StDragon said:

In Windows 10, you could change that under Personalization --> Taskbar --> "Combine buttons on other taskbars". The default was "Always, hide labels". You probably want to set that to "Never".

In Windows 11, no such option exists in the GUI. However a registry key does exist.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarGlomLevel"=dword:00000002

Note: The default DWORD value is 0. You want it to 2.

FYI, I wasn't able to get this to work in my Windows 11 VM. I'm assuming because it doesn't have an activated license; so it could be gimped. However if your copy is activated, give it a go and see if that helps ungroup the icons in the Taskbar.

The taskbar of Win11 doesn't support it, as it's not been implemented. Win10X taskbar had the ability to have in 3 size. Win11 has traces of this feature (I recall reading), but not available.

Taskbar needs more time in the oven. I hope Microsoft will release some improvements via cumulative updates and not have to wait a whole year for non-Insiders

I do love the new look and it does feel more productive. Restore apps on restart is a nice touch.

There are a few bugs in both apps you use that worked fine in windows 10. To just some weird things with resources. Hopefully an update isn’t far away to address some of the problems.

we finally have Mac OS X for windows. The gap between using a Mac and windows is much closer now.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo