Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Main Post Updated with download link! Special thanks to @linkboy!

Bet me too it, thanks @linkboy!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Direct ISO download - FINALLY!! I loathed using the Media Creation Tool. They should be providing ISO images for Windows 10 as well.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

with all the resources Microsoft has it is really too much to ask that they actually do things properly and not just stack all their new stuff on top of the old stuff?

Well, at least we now have an official name for that lipstick. "Ribbon Modern Share Verb".

Did win 10 have audio passthrough where you can have audio come out of different speakers, depending on application? I discovered this in win 11 yesterday, watching football and having audio come thru on the tv while playing wow with the audio coming thru separate speakers.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Is W11 the Cyberpunk 2077 of the operating systems? delayed 3 times, rushed at the last minute even though it's not even 50% complete, has ridiculous hardware requirements and performs like shit.

When was Win11 delayed?

Doesn't perform like shit. If your motherboard has issues because of TPM complain to them and reviewers for not testing the product they are supposed to review.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Did win 10 have audio passthrough where you can have audio come out of different speakers, depending on application? I discovered this in win 11 yesterday, watching football and having audio come thru on the tv while playing wow with the audio coming thru separate speakers.

Yea, Win10 has this feature. Settings > System > Sound > "App volume and device preferences" button at the bottom.

Updated the main rig to win11. Was pretty smooth and painless other than the installer kept failing at 71% until I restarted + ran as admin. Seems good so far, only issue I had was RGB settings were defaulted. Not a fan of the new start menu. Wish it defaulted to "all apps" view

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

My gaming PC has it completely disabled, no reason to keep it on wih 32 gigs of RAM....

Some apps do use it, 4096MB ain't much so I'd rather be sure everything is stable, for ex.  i have 16 gb of ram, after more then probably 100-200 opened tabs in chrome (honestly i lost count) and using photoshop they where starting to give me memory warnings despite me having still a lot of free memory left, a bit under half of it in fact was free, after setting it up to 4096 everything worked well and even with almost full memory i never had a warning ever again. Some apps do rely on pagefile, regardless of your memory, 4096 is the minimum amount of it i found through my tests to not give any issues even with full ram usage, which is why for stability i always suggest 4096MB of page file.

Has anyone updated AMD 5000 series laptop? I have a Asus Zephryus G15, and I really want to update it, but I can't take any risk as well. All drivers and softwares as far as i know are updated to latest versions

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

with all the resources Microsoft has it is really too much to ask that they actually do things properly and not just stack all their new stuff on top of the old stuff?

Careful what you wish for. We had the entire control panel "mordernized" as Settings and after 6 years it still isn't remotely competant as the old Control Panel to the point they have to keep shipping the old control panel in Win 11 as well.

These are just things Microsoft does. Similar to how Google has a tendancy to give up on things and bring it back to life under a new name quite often

8 hours ago, linkboy said:

WARNING: Installing Windows 11 media on a PC that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11 on a PC that does not meet the requirements, that PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to the PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.

So does this mean no updates at all?

5 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

So does this mean no updates at all?

We don't know but since they have explicitly said that no updates is a possibility, my guess is yes. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

We don't know but since they have explicitly said that no updates is a possibility, my guess is yes. 

If that is so I guess I'll have 5 years to switch back to Linux.

I'm gonna stick this thing on ASUS Transformer with Atom CPU, 2GB RAM and 64GB eMMC. Because FU Microsoft. Lets see how far they soft block the installs on "unsupported" hardware.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm gonna stick this thing on ASUS Transformer with Atom CPU, 2GB RAM and 64GB eMMC. Because FU Microsoft. Lets see how far they soft block the installs on "unsupported" hardware.

The setup is not blocked. please read my main post.

All you need is TPM and SecureBoot

13 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

If that is so I guess I'll have 5 years to switch back to Linux.

You'll most likely upgrade your already old system by then.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You'll most likely upgrade your already old system by then.

Unlikelly. My main gaming rig bought back in 2017, rocking an i7 7700k. Upgraded the graphics card to a 3090 because I found a deal last year and it would and did paid itself back in Bitcoin plus my anual car insurance. Moore's law is dead for a while now and even though I overkilled with the graphics card I doubt I'll need a CPU upgrade until then, I didn't even overclocked it yet. If I do, ok, one machine.

My secondary rig is from 2008/2009. Rocking an i7 960 still, overclocked. I do all my non-gaming, non-work stuff there, no real reason to upgrade. The few games I play here aren't really demanding.

My personal laptop, from 2016. Only use it when I'm on the go and nothing really demanding.

My work laptop is a Macbook from 2013 that I asked my boss to downgrade me from a 2019 Macbook Air.

If I upgrade one machine I'm not just gonna trash and waste all the rest, and only my main rig should ever be upgraded to new stuff, all the rest will definitely be used, either trickled down from it or bought used.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, JuztBe said:

Is it known if Auto HDR will come to W10? 

Afaik it won't come to W10. But it's not as impressive as i thought it would be. It basically just takes your SDR game and cranks the brightness until you're at your monitor's HDR brightness. So you basically don't really gain any additional image fidelity. Just "matching" brightness to your standard HDR content.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

We're blessed to have you around to set the facts straight about Windows 11 and providing this detailed guide. Otherwise, the forum would be... 
Wells Fargo data center workers attempting to restore customers accounts.  Colorized, 2019.: BikiniBottomTwitter

on launch day

Problem is most people don't look for an existing thread before posting another one on the same topic. But at least we can link this thread and call it a day.

11 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

So anything on AMD cpus and gaming performance? Asking out of caution more than anything. Saw wan show say there is a significant gaming perf hit

There is no performance difference.

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

Is W11 the Cyberpunk 2077 of the operating systems? delayed 3 times, rushed at the last minute even though it's not even 50% complete, has ridiculous hardware requirements and performs like shit.

Where did you hear about it performing poorly? If anything the new animations make the UI feel snappier imo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, linkboy said:

Did they give a specific time for launch? Around the time of the above post, it was late evening of the 4th UK time, but anywhere east of Europe would already be the 5th. Generally with launches there will be some question of when exactly it happens, especially as many things are more worldwide than ever. I tend to assume Microsoft stuff will day time at some US time zone, but I guess not in this case.

Anyway, my 3 main systems have indicated they're "ready" for Win11, not that any of them will get it any time soon. The test system I've prepared for update is just running some last minute benchmarks so I have a comparison point. Then the updating starts.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The setup is not blocked. please read my main post.

All you need is TPM and SecureBoot

Only has secure boot and older version of TPM.

10 hours ago, StDragon said:

Direct ISO download - FINALLY!! I loathed using the Media Creation Tool. They should be providing ISO images for Windows 10 as well.

You could always download the iso by just changing browser agent to another OS than Windows, but it's nice to not need that workaround anymore indeed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This is the part I find most interesting, as under Win10 (the home version anyway) you got updates whether you wanted them or not, all in the name of "security"

Now MS may do a 180 and let boxes become part of botnets because "no security for you!"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

44 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is the part I find most interesting, as under Win10 (the home version anyway) you got updates whether you wanted them or not, all in the name of "security"

Now MS may do a 180 and let boxes become part of botnets because "no security for you!"

Yeah, but Windows 11 is so much more secure. While being insecure because it won't update. And they'll kill off Windows 10. Their logic is anything but stonks...

29 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but Windows 11 is so much more secure. While being insecure because it won't update. And they'll kill off Windows 10. Their logic is anything but stonks...

Do we even know if Windows 11 is "more secure" than Windows 10? Ignoring the issue you raised where Microsoft might not release security updates to some Windows 11 machines, I haven't really seen anything that indicates that it is more secure. I mean, stuff like VBS is available (and in many cases even enabled by default) on Windows 10, and that seems to be the "killer feature" of Windows 11 as far as security goes.

I find it disingenuous by Microsoft to say Windows 11 is more secure, when what they seem to mean is "all Windows 11 users will have the same security as new Windows 10 users, because we are blocking those old Windows 10 users from upgrading".

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do we even know if Windows 11 is "more secure" than Windows 10? Ignoring the issue you raised where Microsoft might not release security updates to some Windows 11 machines, I haven't really seen anything that indicates that it is more secure. I mean, stuff like VBS is available (and in many cases even enabled by default) on Windows 10, and that seems to be the "killer feature" of Windows 11 as far as security goes.

I find it disingenuous by Microsoft to say Windows 11 is more secure, when what they seem to mean is "all Windows 11 users will have the same security as new Windows 10 users, because we are blocking those old Windows 10 users from upgrading".

we're basically at a point where these corporations are so massive and have so much money that they don't give a shit their customers. Doesn't matter how loud the outcry is against their decisions, the ones that don't care (or don't know) are a much larger majority and therefore they can effectively just ignore people that disagree and write them off.

lets be extremely generous and say there are 1billion PCs running windows 10 in the world as of right now (there is no doubt, many more than this, but i like round numbers), to even make a dent in their market share of 1%, that's 10million users use would need to ditch windows and go to something else. Even if Linux was to double it's current userbase from people who left windows, that's +30million people, so 3% of Windows's current user base. In the grand scheme of things that's tiny,

according to:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/

there was a 3% shift in windows market share just from July - August 2021

(no idea what the "unknown" OS is")

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒